• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News Yet another school shooting

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    It has happened once again. Our country has had yet another school shooting. This time the country was watching Michigan as yet more innocent people are killed. This was actually only 30 mins up the road from me at a school I would pass going to see family.

As of right now 3 students have passed away and 8 others were injured with one of those injured being a teacher. One of those that died was actually a cousin to one of the girls I worked with at Round 1.

Honestly, I'm so tired of this happening and nothing gets done about it. Everyone uses the excuse of people kill people. Okay but they used a gun didn't they so people with guns kill people. Or the gun loving people like the NRA say that we're infringing on their rights to own guns if we try to do anything about. You don't need high powered AR guns or no more than 3-4 guns for that matter. We're not infringing on your rights we're fixing a problem that should have been fixed a long time ago.

CNN
    Channel 4 - Click on Detroit

Years
    • Seen today
    I don't have much to suggest in the way of solutions. Although I can note that when this happened at our school in my senior year, the shooting ended because there was an active officer who hurried towards the gunfire.

The aftermath felt strange. They placed tons of extra security around the school to help ease the tension. It really didn't. They also promised metal detectors. I graduated, so I don't know if that came into fruition.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    There are some things regarding gun legislation and such that would be of help, and some things that would not. Universal background checks and universal mandatory safety training (there is no federal law requiring either of these, and half the states do not require them either) would be examples of helpful gun legislation. Stuff like gun buy-back programs and gun-free zones would be useless. Anything involving the nebulous term "assault rifle" is going to generate endless arguments on semantics.

To get to a few statistics:

People often focus on rifles when talking about America's gun problem, but handguns are what, by far, kill more people in the US. Firearms account for the majority of homicides here, and consistently the majority of those are via handguns. (1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5)
    One statistic that gun lobbyists like to bring up is that "gun violence peaked in the early 1990's", and this is true (go to the "By Type" graph, look at the dark pink line), but it's also a terribly superficial take done to make it seem like there's not a problem or that the problem is on its way out. This doesn't change the fact that people have died that shouldn't be dead, nor that gun-related homicides (and homicides in general) have been increasing over the past several years and are at their highest point in the last ten. This country really does have a problem.

The thing is though, it's going to take more than just gun laws to put an end to the US's gun violence problem, even though the country has desperately needed certain pieces of legislation passed for a long time. Or at the very least, why settle for just what you can do with gun legislation alone? Laws will never completely remove the ability for people to own and use a gun, and so you have to address why people commit these shootings in the first place. Doesn't really matter if they happen less frequently and/or if less people die on average, people are still dying that didn't have to. It's a bit of a harder part of the problem to handle though, since a lot of it ends up stemming from mental health (in a population with likely rapidly declining mental health in a nation with a shitty healthcare system), and the US's culture regarding guns.

And this is all regarding just homicides too.

But really nothing will ever be done about the problem here. A lot of Americans view the Constitution as holy, second only to whatever religious text they follow, and the first 10 amendments to be the most important of its amendments. Many see the 2nd Amendment as a sacred shield to hide behind that means "no gun laws ever, gun laws bad", despite a Supreme Court case in 2008 that struck down a DC handgun law also stating that the 2nd Amendment "is not absolute" (the link is a summary of the case and directly links to the 157 page SCOTUS document). And it's all so "the people can stand up against a tyrannical government like the founding fathers did", yet despite the fact that we're being oppressed right now and the world was set on its shitty path before I was even born (and I'm nearly 30), the best they can do is a failed takeover of the Capitol building in order to replace one shitty president with another over the ridiculous lie that the election was stolen.

And beyond that....if 20 little kids and their teachers getting murdered in broad daylight didn't spur this country to do literally anything, what possibly could? That should've been the watershed moment, yet it's been 9 years already, and the US has had other mass shootings both before and after too that could've been the catalyst, but weren't.

Last edited:
    Years
  • American children should feel safe in school and BE safe in school. This is inhumane, imagine the anxiety and the toll it has on the kids? Children deserve better.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    Nothing will ever change in this country. I know my high school closed yesterday and now several other high schools are taking the day off because of threats circulating.

We had another student pass away yesterday morning. 3 are still in the hospital while the others have been treated and released. They moved the shooter from Children's Village (jail for 18 and under) to the county jail and he is charged as an adult with the following: one count of terrorism causing death, four counts of first-degree murder, seven counts of assault with intent to murder and 12 counts of possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony. He's pleaded Not Guilty (insert HUGE eye roll here) and they are looking to even charge the parents.

Back