• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: "Pokemon Generations" anime shorts. (Article in thread OP)

Karous

Captain Obvious
Years
  • After all the gen 1 pandering in Sun & Moon, any acknowledgement that the other generations exist is good news for me. Actually, after seeing the Relic Castle concept art and my second favorite Pokemon Giratina on the poster confirming that the Spear Pillar and Distortion World will appear, I'm pretty hyped. I hope it's better than Origins, which I felt suffered from pacing issues. I hope TPC considers doing more anime specials based on the games.

I'm surprisingly excited for this, it was totally unexpected! For gen IV, I would love to see the Distortion World portion of Platinum animated in this style. Just imagine how dope that would look!

Given that Origin Giratina appears right next to Cyrus on the poster, I take that as confirmation the Spear Pillar/Distortion World will be an episode. I love gen 4 lore and Giratina is my second favorite Pokemon, so I'm pretty hyped too!

Last edited:

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
    Years
  • I am pretty hyped for this and I hope that if the reception to it is good enough that TPC will consider doing more game-based animation. seeing Cyrus, Giratina and the Spear Pillar on that cover has me on cloud nine, to be honest. I love Gen 4 (and Team Galactic are my favorite villainous team) and I feel like it's often so overlooked.

I am a bit disappointed that it looks like Red is still going to be all over the place. I love Red and he's super nostalgic for me, but... I just want to see some of my other children animated as well. There has always been so much Gen 1 pandering, it's exhausting after a while. Although on that note, I am excited that it looks like an episode is going to be focused on Blue/Green's rise to champion.

IDG

ey b0ss
    Years
  • I don't get why it has to be all from Red's perspective. It seems that when Nintendo picks a protagonist they don't want to let go of him. Hell, we've been having Ash for seven gens.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • It sounds pretty interesting. I'm also glad that it's not just for the gen 1 games.

I thought the same thing after watching the trailer. I'm glad to see different things from something besides 1st gen for once.
    Still wish they were actual half hour episodes, but if this is the only way it could get made better that then nothing :D

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • This sounds nice, but where are the Gen V protagonists? Where is Calem, why only Red? I'm kinda unhapapy with the cast choices. But, at least Red came back? A five minute runtime is barely enough to tell a story, but I suppose I'll watch this to see how it goes. Guess we'll see how it goes.

I don't get why it has to be all from Red's perspective. It seems that when Nintendo picks a protagonist they don't want to let go of him. Hell, we've been having Ash for seven gens.

I think that isn't Red... In the trailer the Trainer's face isn't shown, the shots with him are from behind or when he is facing the camera his face is covered obscured by shadows. So I would guess it's just a place holder character where you could easily project yourself into: It isn't red or brendan or callem... it's you the Player.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I don't have much issue with Red being the only game protagonist shown in this. Why? Because, they would inevitably only use the male player characters and ignore/sideline the female ones. Just look at the trailers that were made for B2W2 and ORAS. Nate and Brendan were clearly meant to be the heroes, not Rosa and May. The boy will ALWAYS get prioritized over the girl, every time. >:(

Better to just see all of the non-Red player characters be ignored rather than only the female ones. At least there's some equality in that. Plus, Red's the only player character who's actually been canonized in the games, anyways.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Omg the first episode was AMAZING. The music was fanatastic. Did any1 recognize the music that was played during the Kalos part? It didnt sounds like the XY's battle music..

zeno101200

The Wanderer
    Years
  • Omg the first episode was AMAZING. The music was fanatastic. Did any1 recognize the music that was played during the Kalos part? It didnt sounds like the XY's battle music..

Not sure exactly? But I'm not the best at recognizing music, haha. Still, Episode 1 and 2 are up! They were amazing! Really love the expansion of the world in Episode 2 with Looker's inclusion.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    The animation was really spectacular but wow now I understand what people were saying when they said Looker looked... weird. And where are his pupils? Are you okay, Looker?

I also appreciate this "integrating other gen characters into gens they don't belong in" in the way episode 2 was handled, but Looker with a Growlithe and not Croagunk is... I dunno man it's weird. If they're willing to move characters across gens they should be willing to move Pokémon, too.

I'm hoping Red stays in that first episode and doesn't leave I'm crossing all my fingers starting from now. Also crossing my fingers that each gen gets 3 episodes each (so, one more episode for gen 1, then move into gen 2). Pleeeeeeease please please please

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
    Years
  • The first two episodes were really great! I love that Pikachu a lot. The way it was animated and voiced was adorable! lol And I was relieved to see that all of Red's scenes that I recognized from the trailer were in the first episode, so maybe he won't be all over the place and the other game characters can have a chance to shine.

I liked the episode with Looker chasing Team Rocket and getting to the Viridian gym just after Red and Giovanni's battle. It was also curious seeing Giovanni talk about how all Pokémon belong to Team Rocket and that they will never lose. So... he didn't actually disband them? A little confused on that, but a nice detail nonetheless.

It was also nice to see Red and Looker being integrated into other regions. It gives a sense of more adventure from the characters outside of their set story lines in the games.

I'm so impressed with the animation style and it just makes me wish this was a full length series!! lol

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • That Magnemite use was also pretty impressive. Just goes to show that lock and key is the best sort of security (sshh, don't let the Machamp and Arcanine get in the way).

I'm happy that Red wasn't in episode 2, means we can get more playable characters in the shorts as the main protagonist (really hoping for Zinnia to show up at some point).

Interesting to see where Looker goes.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Just watched the first two episodes, my thoughts:

Episode one was good. A cool view that we never get of red. It also means that un-like people thought, there is only one episode that has all those red scenes. Which is great as it means we can still get MCs from their games to rep storylines in their region.

Which means we could get a N episode! That be amazing, especially after he was portrayed poorly in the anime. So it was a good episode to have and mostly nostalgic as stated.

Now Episode Two, was pretty great! We get a whole new side to the games. Learn that Red isn't known as a hero by everyone and learn a bit more about Team Rocket. Giovanni seemed cool in the end there as well.

The use of pokemon as police gadgets was also brilliant. Loved the magemite part. But lastly what makes this great to me, is it could very well mean that this:
    300px-Global_Police_agent.png

is actually Looker like people thought. Which if true, it's an amazing callback.

So really well done episodes, and I can't wait to see more!

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2016
    I'm glad Red only got 1 episode. I was worried 6 would be dedicated to him traveling all the regions. I like Red, but geezus, there's more to the pokemon world but him.

Anywho, I think every gen will get 3 episodes dedicated to it.

Gen 1 are probably the ones we know most of.

Red and Pikachu travel the world. Sure this has all the regions, but Red and Pikachu are predominantly associated with gen 1. This may also explain why Red's pikachu is so high leveled in the games. Looker and his swat team. As pointed out, this is TPC softly confirming Looker was that police officer in gen 1, which is really neat. Blue defeating the elite four, probably my most anticipated of gen 1's shorts because we get to see Blue's team in action when we missed out on a lot of it in Origins.

Gen 2

The death and rebirth of the legendary beast The theaory that they were a Vaporeon, Jolteon and Flareon may get confirmed as well.
    Red Gyarados and Dragonite. Something to do with Giovanni. (Pls give us a Silver cameo)

Gen 3

The only thing I can think of is The primal battle. We may get a look at Archie and Maxie when they were once friends, or something really out there like seeing the eldest son of the Windstrates set off on his journey.

Gen 4

We know Cheryl gets an episode running from Haunter, and one focusing on Heatran. Cyrus and Giratina on the poster means we will likely get a focus episode on them. I hope the Cyrus one gives insight on his life in Celestic town, and why he wants to absolve human spirit.

Gen 5

the only one that seems to be inevitable is N and Team plasma. Kyurem also looks to get an episode, but no idea on a possible 3rd.

Gen 6

AZ finally gets some recognition. Gen 6 is probably most ripe for these episodes cuz there is so much untapped lore in them. Lysandre might have a more fleshed out backstory for his turn against humanity. He's a great villain in theory, but to me he hasn't reached his full potential, not even in the main anime, where he seemed more megalomaniac, when tha wasn't what the games were going for.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • I think the animation was pretty bad. Also it seems this is an english only anime so its not even made by the people who make the normal shows. Also why did they have to give pikachu electro ball like ash did.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I thought the animation was really good, and the music was great. Episode 2 had tension and drama and I liked that it made Team Rocket seemed like more of a serious threat. The only thing I didn't like was how Pikachu was designed and sounded.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • Just watched the first episode... and I think, I might be right on my theory... They are never going to show the protagonists face, I'd bet we're never going to hear him speak too, And if you look at that intro the char name on the save data is TRAINER. It's not Red or any other Pokemon Protagonist, It's the Player its YOU.

Also that intro gave me goosebumps, it makes me want get my pokemon red cartridge fixed and play it all over again. But until I do, watching this will have to suffice :D

Last edited:
    Back