• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports World Cup

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Red card for Colombia's Carlos Sanchez earlier today became the quickest red card given in world cup history. That shot my hopes because I actually wanted Colombia to win. ;; GG to Japan although I did not like how they played today.

Poland vs. Senegal was amazing. Senegal has an amazing team, right at the same level as Iceland. I think they are one team to watch.

Poland, however...http://digg.com/video/senegal-second-goal-poland-mistake

LillieAndNebby

Someone (not) very special!
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 21, 2023
This was a nice one, Cheryshev! Russia leads with 2:0 now

Edit: I mean 3:0. Well done!

The match is over now, the counter reads 3:1. It was a wonderful game!

Last edited:
Years
Red card for Colombia's Carlos Sanchez earlier today became the quickest red card given in world cup history. That shot my hopes because I actually wanted Colombia to win. ;; GG to Japan although I did not like how they played today.

Poland vs. Senegal was amazing. Senegal has an amazing team, right at the same level as Iceland. I think they are one team to watch.

Poland, however...http://digg.com/video/senegal-second-goal-poland-mistake

Senegal did really well in qualifying, and that strength showed in their win against the Polish. And yeah, I do understand your point that the red card may have been what cost the Colombians.

Also, with Russia defeating Egypt 3-1, that means Egypt are all but eliminated in the group stage. Shame because I felt they had potential, but Russia is doing much better than I thought they would. Home ground advantage I guess?

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
So now I watched Denmark vs Australia, and it seems that Socceroos gained a tie against Denmark 1-1 (at the time I'm writing this) thanks to the penalty awarded by VAR! I hope Aussies can score some more :smile:

Last edited:
Years
So now I watched Denmark vs Australia, and it seems that Socceroos gained a tie against Denmark 1-1 (at the time I'm writing this) thanks to the penalty awarded by VAR! I hope Aussies can score some more :smile:

Since this will be a crucial match, I think it's definitely going to be interesting. Hopefully my home nation can really give the Danish a challenge, if they were able to fight well against France.

Good job on Jedinak scoring that penalty. Shows just how much he knew this match was crunch time.

Years
Croatia defeating Argentina... the upsets keep coming!

But as for how my home nation now fares, we need to get a win against Peru in the final game (then again, they're pretty much out of contention) and also ensure that France defeats Denmark.

I was sceptical when the groups were first drawn, but I feel Australia got a better draw this time compared to the last WC. Should we get second place over the Danish, a possible encounter with Croatia (a team we faced in the group stage in 2006) could be looming if they continue their good run.

Hopefully Brazil can continue South America's hopes.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Currently watching Nigeria vs. Iceland. Nigeria just scored a goal a while back which puts Iceland on the bubble and gives Argentina another advantage of advancing.

I'm hoping Iceland would pull off a spectacular performance just like their first game. I'm keeping my hopes up! They have a great team.

Years
Currently watching Nigeria vs. Iceland. Nigeria just scored a goal a while back which puts Iceland on the bubble and gives Argentina another advantage of advancing.

I'm hoping Iceland would pull off a spectacular performance just like their first game. I'm keeping my hopes up! They have a great team.

And it was the Nigerians who pulled off the win... Iceland are now at huge risk of being eliminated, especially since their last group match is against an in-form Croatian side.

And as for Group E, the Swiss managed a come-from-behind win against Serbia, while Brazil ended Costa Rica's WC hopes.

Years
Watching the Belgium vs Tunisia match, and the Belgians are nothing but unstoppable right now with a huge 4-1 lead and the Tunisians being let down by injuries.

This is actually the first time the Belgian team are wearing a black-and-yellow kit at a major tournament and it's definitely showing well. Romelu Lukaku is also definitely writing himself into history books, becoming the first Belgian player to score 4 goals at a single World Cup, and tied with Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo on the overall goal counts so far for an individual player at this year's tournament.

Belgium have pretty much sealed first place for Group G with this stunner, so I bet they'll pose a real threat come the knockout stages.

Years
Group A and Group B's final standings means the first of the knockout stage matches will be Russia vs Spain, and Uruguay vs Portugal.

Uruguay managed to knock Russia off top spot in Group A with that win against Russia in the final group match.

Group C and Group D's final standings will be decided today. I'll be sad if my home nation fails to pass the group stage for the third time in a row.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
The first rule of International Football - Never Write Off The Germans.

Can I write off the Germans now?

DPLng6D.png

Sweden (Q1) > Mexico (Q2) > Korea > Germany in Group F

In other news, Croatia is winning this tournament. Calling it.

Last edited:
Years
So the Last 16 have been decided, with the following fixtures below:

June 30th:
Uruguay vs Portugal
France vs Argentina

July 1st:
Spain vs Russia
Croatia vs Denmark

July 2nd:
Brazil vs Mexico
Belgium vs Japan

July 3rd:
Sweden vs Switzerland
Colombia vs England

So, which ones will you be watching, and which teams do you think will win?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 17, 2018
I really enjoyed the World Cup, Eric Dier's penalty in the shootout against Columbia was a great moment. Michael had some great moments as well.

Back