• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

MAJOR Explosion at Boston Marathon

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I never said we "forget". Read the sentence after the sentence stating that instead of skimming my posts and jumping to conclusions.

Back then tragedies weren't being looked at as "conspiracies" and now they are because of where we're headed. Don't be surprised when the "truth" comes out about all this eventually because it will. There's something behind all these tragedies that we don't know for sure and that one tragedy will finally finish the puzzle we've been missing for years now. The government could be behind it but who knows. The news has different stories for everything because it's what they want you to hear. What I'm saying is, just because they say it happened like this doesn't mean it really did. We're being fed lies and we've been lied to so many times we don't know what's fake or real. How can we believe something is fact when there's different stories to it? That's all I'm saying.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I never said we "forget". Read the sentence after the sentence stating that instead of skimming my posts and jumping to conclusions.

Back then tragedies weren't being looked at as "conspiracies" and now they are because of where we're headed. Don't be surprised when the "truth" comes out about all this eventually because it will. There's something behind all these tragedies that we don't know for sure and that one tragedy will finally finish the puzzle we've been missing for years now. The government could be behind it but who knows. The news has different stories for everything because it's what they want you to hear. What I'm saying is, just because they say it happened like this doesn't mean it really did. We're being fed lies and we've been lied to so many times we don't know what's fake or real. How can we believe something is fact when there's different stories to it? That's all I'm saying.
Not to be rude, but... you random person on a Pokemon forum have all the answers?

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Not to be rude, but... you random person on a Pokemon forum have all the answers?

No do you have all the answers? Does the next poster have all the answers? Does the dude walking down the sidewalk somewhere in this country have the answers? No, no one has the "answers" we're just making assumptions now. The news don't even have the "answers", they just have they're side of the story and there's so many stories how do we know which is correct? That's all I'm trying to say, you're jumping to conclusion when you see something you disagree with.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
Forget and forgotten can mean different things, yes. However, the forgotten in your post and the forget in Syd's mean the same thing. Neither of you were implying we'd completely forget about them (at least I hope not), I think you were both implying that we'd all just stop thinking about them as much.

So what Syd said still applies to what you said... or something to that accord.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
You are reacting too harshly. No one was telling you that you were wrong here. I was simply explaining that moving on and just forgetting isn't the case. That also seems to be the case for BlahISuck. So it's strange you're talking about jumping to conclusions when you seem to be doing it yourself, more so than anyone else I've seen posting in this thread.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018

I think what you fail to realize is that the tragedies have not changed, the media and delivery of news has. In this day and age we get minute by minute live feed of events right when they occur. This gives the entire public a chance to jump into the speculation as the FBI, CIA, etc. try to figure it out. This is where conspiracy theorists come in. It's in everyone's drive as a community to find justice and right any wrongs, even if that means finding wrongs in the government.

There have been tragedies identical to this for over one hundred years.
This is a prime example. A guy got pissed about higher taxes and bombed an elementary school because that school raised property taxes. Things like this happen on an entirely domestic level, often as a retaliation against government. The nature of the bombs in Boston yesterday lead me to believe that it's homegrown terrorism against something related to Boston or the marathon or the state of Massachusetts. But it's so early in the investigation I'm not guessing anything more than that because nobody knows anything.

Honestly you're kind of reminding me of Dale Gribble from King of the Hill right now.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
No do you have all the answers? Does the next poster have all the answers? Does the dude walking down the sidewalk somewhere in this country have the answers? No, no one has the "answers" we're just making assumptions now. The news don't even have the "answers", they just have they're side of the story and there's so many stories how do we know which is correct? That's all I'm trying to say, you're jumping to conclusion when you see something you disagree with.
Not necessarily jumping to conclusions, but I am in disagreement. Yes. I disagree to what you're espousing to be the truth, eventual or otherwise.

Not that I can be absolute in knowing otherwise, but that by the same token neither can you.

I was implying nothing else.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
The Bath School bombings weren't about taxes. While taxes were raised to fund the school, the bombing occurred 5 years after that.

Years
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"

~Isaac Asimov

Let's not start espousing that everybody's opinion is of equal value and therefore has equal authority. That leads us down a very dangerous road. I wouldn't be as moderate as some of the others here.

Hopefully the investigation will lead to answers sometime soon. Apparently the bombs were packed in pressure cookers, and one of the three dead was an international student from China. Her parents must feel incredibly awkward right now - how do you even respond to your child's death when they're 20000 km away from you? They'll probably take this and maybe last month's savings and buy the first ticket they can to be with their daughter and make arrangements. She tweeted a picture of her breakfast that morning. I don't know, it feels incredibly disorienting to realize the loss suffered by her friends and family especially when she was so tangible right before she was killed.

Reflection aside, I hope they can find perpetrator + motive soon. News sources are saying it's lone wolf with the gunpowder and pressure cooker. Professionals would've been more professional.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
As much as I hate to say this. When I seen on the news Boston got bombed I was not shocked. It's just another tragedy happening in America that's gonna be the hot topic for a week or two and be "forgotten" after that. It's not gonna be completely forgotten but no ones gonna talk about it just like every other tragedy in America. I mean yea it's sickening that people do this but if you compare the 3 deaths and 100+ casualties that happened then it's nothing compared to what happens every single day here in America. It's gotten attention because it's bombs and what it caused.

I just have a feeling the government knew about this, because of where it was taken place and when it was taken place. But we don't know for sure, were just making assumptions now. Realistically the real truth wont come out.. It never does.

Want comparisons?

2012 Hurricane grazes the East Coast. Everyone grieves over a few losses, some fairly minor damage and about a few hours to a little less than a week of no electricity. Meanwhile in the Gulf, three or four Hurricanes, hit three states. One state receives a little attention since its a tourist attaction while the other two get little to no attention. No money from government for rebuilding and have to hike the taxes to cover damage to almost half the states, not to mention the death toll was well into the triple digits. Barely anyone batted an eye lash for us.

You have no idea what its like to be on the short end of the stick. Yes all tragedies are treated fairly equal because they are all bad. If in more populated areas or areas of more importance they tend to get more publicity. Other places don't get much attention depending on the tragedies.

The Tsunami in Japan, the Nuclear meltdown in Japan, the trapped miners in Chile, those were on world news for months. There are still relief funds for two of the three still going for survivors and those effected. Haiti still has fund raisers and is still publicized. There are a lot of fundraisers still going on around the world and we still have reminders of those tragedies.

The Media controls what it wants to display. If other countries don't post their issues its because their governments either don't want it publicized and won't allow other medias to report or they keep everything under wraps to prevent outside interference. Americans have a lower expectancy level for tragedies than other places. Some that see things like these just shrug it off and move on, but that's on the country that this happened to it has nothing to do with America's media and publicity.

Some of my foreign friends call us whimps for crying over everything so often.

And don't make me have to bring up Mickey Shunick. I don't even know if her story made it out of the state.

Reactions: Her

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I didn't want natural casualties. I wasn't even talking about natural casualties I was talking about everyday casualties or anything for that matter. Compare the amount of deaths and casualties to the amount of deaths and casualties in the cities and all that a day. It doesn't compare. There are far more deaths in the cities alone in a day than the amount of injuries from this bombing. That's what I meant. So why aren't everyday shootings on the news? They don't care, it means nothing to the public and nobody "cares" to put out the information. Instead they just hit local news. You see where I'm coming from?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Speaking for America only, I think that if every shooting that would normally only make local news was put on the national news, we would either be a) really sad and depressed as a nation and constantly mourning or b) so used to it that we don't care anymore and no longer really realize how precious life is. I wouldn't want either to be the case.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
So why aren't everyday shootings on the news? They don't care, it means nothing to the public and nobody "cares" to put out the information. Instead they just hit local news. You see where I'm coming from?

I don't think it's because people don't care, but because they don't want to care. Am I phrasing it right? The media already has enough stories about doom & gloom, bombings in war-torn countries, children blown to bits, I won't care to list the highly varied list of pain on suffering on the daily news. If the media were to show 'everyday' shootings on the news, it'd just crush the people even more. This is what happens in New Zealand, where I live. We don't have bombings, there hasn't been a war here for well over a hundred years, we report on the tragedies on the world and also our own. We report on the everyday shootings. Let me tell you, it sucks. The paper is usually describing at least one horrific shooting (children too) every day, and it sucks. These make nationwide headlines and for the third time, it sucks. They make nationwide headlines because we care. But we don't want to care because it connects us to the pain, the pain we don't want to hear about but we hear about anyway. Do you get what I'm saying?

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Speaking for America only, I think that if every shooting that would normally only make local news was put on the national news, we would either be a) really sad and depressed as a nation and constantly mourning or b) so used to it that we don't care anymore and no longer really realize how precious life is. I wouldn't want either to be the case.

To a good extent I feel b. I live in the city so I see enough murders that I'm not shocked or mind blow when a school shooting or bombing occurs. I mean, I've literally seen in person people get murdered.

What I mean is that I'm so used to seeing or hearing about people being murdered that I just see it as another act of violence and someone that's a sick dickless coward. I care that people got murdered and I feel sorry for the families and people that are in the hospital right now but I don't care for the attention it's getting. Yea, it's a bombing that killed 3 people I get that but they don't need to make it out to be like 9/11 or something I mean come on.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
Yea, it's a bombing that killed 3 people I get that but they don't need to make it out to be like 9/11 or something I mean come on.

People were frightened, people died. It was an attack on innocent people, and just because there was a relatively small loss of life compared to 9/11, it doesn't mean that it shouldn't get any less attention regardless. Besides, people are still in critical condition, some families are waiting to hear if their loved ones will need extensive surgery, people are only just starting to accept the reality of this event. Trivialising it is just crude.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
What I mean is that I'm so used to seeing or hearing about people being murdered that I just see it as another act of violence and someone that's a sick dickless coward. I care that people got murdered and I feel sorry for the families and people that are in the hospital right now but I don't care for the attention it's getting. Yea, it's a bombing that killed 3 people I get that but they don't need to make it out to be like 9/11 or something I mean come on.

I don't give a damn if you've seen people murdered, it still doesn't mean you can get away with saying something like this. Three is still too many. And this thing was NOT made out to be like 9/11. The only thing it has related to that at the moment is that people are jumping the gun in deciding who did this. I may have been 9 when 9/11 happened, but I can tell you right now that it got way much more coverage than this bombing, and it always will. You're barely older than me. You should remember as well.

Look, if you're just going to throw around your disrespect for what happened here, you might as well go post somewhere else. I tried to stay calm during this whole thread, but this post right here is going to set me off even more if I keep looking at it. You may not think you're being disrespectful about this situation, but I and plenty of other people here would beg to differ.

Reactions: Her
Years
Well, if anything, the Pakistani Taliban gave us the courtesy of telling us they were not responsible for this attack.

Years
To a good extent I feel b. I live in the city so I see enough murders that I'm not shocked or mind blow when a school shooting or bombing occurs. I mean, I've literally seen in person people get murdered.

I agree that things like this get blown out of proportion by today's media and conspiracy theorists, hell I heard about it here in Australia THE DAY IT HAPPENED - that should some up how quickly the media works now (thanks to the internet) and explain why these things get blown out of proportion.

That much being said, I feel that the untimely death of even a single person is a tragedy and that it should be treated as such. The people who died in that bombing were ordinary people like you and me and they deserve to not have all this ridiculous arguing cheapening their deaths.

It is too early to say anything on the matter, save the bickering and debating for when we have something tangible <--- that's my perspective on the matter anyway. I see no reason to assume anything until we have some real information. *Rant complete

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I'm not disrespecting it I'm just saying it's being taken a little too seriously. They need to lay off of it a little and let the investigators do they're job and focus on it when they figure it out. Eventually they will find the dickless coward or cowards who did it, but I don't wanna see it and hear about it everywhere I go constantly until they find who's responsible. It's getting very annoying quick. It was reasonable to hear and focus on it the day it happened but they need to focus on other problems and come back to it when they got reliable sources. Now, they have nothing other than the same sources they had before so it's like a never ending routine. It's like watching the same commercial over and over again until it loses it's touch and you gotta come out with a new one. Sorry for weird analogy but it's the way I see it. You may think of it as a different way and that's cool with me but I wont bother taking notice to it anymore until they find the dickless coward.

Years
I see what he's getting at. It's true that there haven't been any major developments, apart from identifying the two other deaths. If there's nothing significant to report, then why shouldn't the media back down? They shouldn't have to keep up the coverage for politeness' sake.

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android

Back