• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon FireRed: Rocket Edition (Completed)

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    OK, so I've played this hack a few times, and I really love it. I can't praise it enough, and I can't wait for the final release. (Uhh, no pressure tho) And for others reading, I do get a bit spoiler-y, sooo. Ye. (Oh, and I go off on long tangents. Sorry in advance!) I'll mostly talk about the characters I like.

I've had a couple minor glitches, to start. I remember fighting Mr. Psychic and I think I used substitute. When the substitute broke, another one came to replace it. Then another. Then another. Then another. This went on forever, so I had to turn off my game. Not sure what's up with that, but hey. Figured I might say something. I haven't run into anything else, I think. Nothing significant, as far as I can remember.

This story is so fun, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE how it incorporates multiple fan theories (*cough*Blues Raticate*cough*) as well as manga elements (like Surge being a smuggler) It's very clever, and everything ties together very nicely. The side missions are also pretty fun, and expose an even darker side of kanto, gotta love that. Hope we see more of the bad gym leaders later on.

I like that the player is not just a spectator, and that (s)he does affect the actual plot. (We'll get a "She," eventually, right?) I'm happy to see that we're important too!

I like that the starters are considered "warfare" pokemon. They're really special, I think, and they are pretty strong compared to your average 'mon, so I like to see them get this sort of treatment. It also explains why they're so rare. Starters should have a plot armor, I think. It just fits them well. An ace of someone like Red or Blue needs to be special.

I think this also helps to explain why a child might be strong/confident enough to try to fight actual criminals. They've got a pokedex, meaning they've got information about any potential opponent at their fingertips at all times, making battle much easier. Then add the fact that their 'mon is exceedingly rare, so most of their opponents won't really know how to handle it. (Not to mention, said 'mon is insanely strong and is owned by a very competent and competitive trainer.) Huh. Guess this could help explain why Red is so OP.

The starters being warfare pokemon would also explain why Oak even had them in the first place. (wait, was this foreshadowing? :0) Guess it also explains why Oak just made children go out and fill out the pokedex instead of doing it himself. Or maybe he's using Red fight in his stead? Red's been described as someone who was obsessed with battling, probably from a young age, too... Was he groomed ti fight Team Rocket?!? Omg. Man! You really have me going full Conspiracy Mode! This story really makes me think.

I'll keep going. I like that the Executives are relevant. (Well, maybe not as much Ariana, but she's got a kid, sooo) Petrel is literally perfect, and Archer is as serious as ever. His scene in *REDACTED* with *REDACTED* was perfect. Actually, I think that was my favorite mission. Made us realize how little we really know, and that the "good guys" might not be so good after all. It also developed two other great characters and gave me feels. Glad Red didn't fuck up that mission for me lmao.

Oh, and as for Proton? He seems kinda pissy, I think that's just his personality though. He seems a bit upset when you become *REDACTED* after that mission. Speaking of that mission, were we ever told why *REDACTED* showed up there to fight you-know-who? (I'm sure you know what I mean)

Movong on, I love and hate Ronnie. Like, I love to hate him. He's such an ass. He's awful, but he does make some things a bit more interesting. But literally whenever he shows up, I'm just like, "Gosh DAMMIT NOOO GO AWAY," I wanna put him in his place soooo bad, like, LET ME AT HIM pls. I guess he's supposed to be like our friend, and that's why the player puts up with his shit, but still. I'm shocked Giovanni hasn't really done anything about him. Plus, he seems a lil creepy, just saying. There's some weird implications and events in this game, so maybe it's good we're not playing as a girl. Especially if we tried to go into the underground tunnels lmao.

But yeah, I really hope the player beats his ass, lmao. Especially after what he did to *REDACTED*. I really hope that person is okay. If they aren't, please let us wreck Ronnie once and for all. Because that was so messed up. I mean, I liked that scene, because it's so dark and so unlike pokemon, but at the same time I'm like, "aah, no! Not this character!" At the same time, y'know? Another person would be devastated, especially if they find out I was there and what if they got the wrong idea? I don't want them to be disappointed in me. Ughhh. This is great, I'm actually really worrying about what comes next!

Onto my new favorite, I love what you've done with Blue. Blue gave me all the feels. He's actually really polite and respectful towards the player after awhile, even calling us "Mr. Rocket," which I found a bit surprising. Makes me feel like his senpai or something lmao.

You gave us a new perspective on Blue, which I appreciate. I guess the reason he's so mean to Red is because of their screwed up relationship. Makes sense. Red's always been favored over Blue, even by his own grandfather. Ouch. And Red always wins for some reason, and even (albeit unintentionally) killed Blue's Raticate. He's rightfully upset because of all if this. Not to mention, Blue doesn't really have anyone in his life, except Daisy. Guess that's why he latched onto the player so quickly.

But maaaan... We know Blue's going to get berated by Oak after Red defeats him at the league. He's gonna get the "Oh, its 'cause you didn't love your pokemon and treat them with respect," typa shit, and ugh. Like, we know what's coming. And to hear this after his "Oh, why don't you just get a new Raticate, Blue? A stronger one." Ooh, imma beat Oak's ass tbh. At least Red is kinda unaware of it all. And while Ronnie is a total bastard, I think Oak upsets me more than anything.

It's easy to forget that Red and Blue are still children, when you look at their accomplishments and behavior. They both seem a bit more mature for their age, especially Red, but I still like that you have characters such as Giovanni remind us that they still are, in fact, actual children. It's kind of hard to see kids having to deal with these sorts of issues, especially Blue. You can clearly see the negative consequences this has on Blue, and this is probably why he's close to the player character, despite the fact they're a criminal. (Or maybe that's why-- because he knows Oak ain't cool with the Rockets?) We might be all he has left, now. The adults they're supposed to depend on and look up to really failed them. I got the feels. :(

Man, I can't think of anything else to say. Just know that this hack is fun af, and the characterization is wild. I can't wait to see more. I think I'm gonna go replay it again in the meantime.

Also, I wanna steal Bulbasaur, why can't I find him anywhere ://

"I'll put all the aides on you!" - God

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2020
    while we wait, tell me your current team guys!

my team:
    machamp
    dugtrio
    starmie
    scizor
    clefable
    aerodactyl/dodrio

only dugtrio is the one who i caught lol

Ace Trainer Blair

ROMhack Maniac
    Years
  • Cheers! Which emulator do you get that crash with? I recall only being able to reproduce that with some specific non-standard settings on MyBoy. (VisualBoyAdvance and MyBoy are my primary testing platforms, and everything works as it should on normal settings there as far as I can tell.)
    Super late response, but I use mGBA. That's the emulator that the cellphone would crash.

joshspicer

Josh Spicer
    Years
  • This is my most unique team ever to be honest.

Jackie (Hitmonchan)
    Fuk Pidgey (Pidgeot)
    Taaaaaaail (Slowbro)
    Foxy (Flareon)
    PW (Poliwhirl)
    Karma (Pikachu)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I think the opposite. He does post how long he worked each day each week in the discord now (As well as a picture). Don't be negative guys simply because the last update is believed to be the final one. It will probably take a while longer but I am sure it will be updated one day.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    i think this hack is abandoned....

Nope, two weeks ago Colonel Salt commented on a video of someone who was doing a play-through of this hack and he said that the final release is coming within a few months. So we'll get it, just hold on a little while longer.

It won't let me post a link to the video, or a screenshot of the comment here, but the title of the video is "morally ambiguous... - Pokémon Fire Red: Rocket Edition (ROM HACK) #6" by lusterpurgepink.

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2020
    Uf me muero de ganas por jugarlo y cuando lo descargo por aquí My Boy me pone unrecognised gba file
    Q devo hacer???

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2020
    Por favor ayudenme no puedo esperar n minuto mas para jugarlo 😭😭😭

colonelsalt

Guaranteed to raise the smile
    Years
  • As folks have pointed out, I'm posting a weekly summary of development time on Discord for the final release. Doing this so everyone can rest assured the hack is still in development every week, as most interesting progress screenshots are unfortunately likely to ruin one or several major plot events.

Nevertheless, here are a couple to ponder over from the last couple of weeks (robot trainer sprite by strange_kid):

LJQ8wG4.png
    E0LZpZD.png

Really appreciate all the support! :D

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2022
    Great game! How is the progress going on the final patch? Also will the final patch be compatible?

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2021
    I just signed to thank you for this incredible mod/game!!!!!!! i really hope foward to keep playing it when beta 4 comes out!!!

BTW is there an everstone in the game? where is it, because I want to prevent my Schyther from evolving

Last edited:

supershadow64ds

Confused Noob Programmer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    God, this is the exact ROM hack I tried making ages ago but just stopped because I had no direction and very little patience. I just wanted to play and mess around, but I'm very happy to see someone somehow had an extremely similar idea and put pen to paper to make it happen.

It's like, everything I've ever wanted is here and now I don't have to make a whole rom hack to play what I want haha

Back