• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

FIQ

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2022
So this rollout PP thing for AI trainers. I'm not able to reproduce this. In what case did it happen? What trainer, mons? What moves did you reveal (this causes AI to change behaviour on some stuff in corner cases)? What mons did you use? Abilities? Do you have a save where it's straightforward to reproduce?

Years
So this rollout PP thing for AI trainers. I'm not able to reproduce this. In what case did it happen? What trainer, mons? What moves did you reveal (this causes AI to change behaviour on some stuff in corner cases)? What mons did you use? Abilities? Do you have a save where it's straightforward to reproduce?

I sent you a PM with some info

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 3, 2021
Can i beta test the newest patch? really looking forward to the finished 3.0 patch :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Alright, a lot of people have wanted to beta-test this, so I'll just post a patch here.

polishedcrystal-3.0.0-beta-70d16e1 (last updated: October 4)

Those patches are made from commit 70d16e1. Apply it to a standard Crystal (UE) ROM, the one built by pokecrystal itself, with a program like Lunar IPS.

If you're playing the beta, please follow these guidelines:

• Check the reported issues, closed issues, and recent posts in this thread before reporting an issue yourself.
  • Keep an eye out for details. Incorrect tiles, spelling or grammar errors, dialog that you think could be better, NPC teams that could be improved, whatever.
  • Try to include enough information for me to reproduce and diagnose bugs when you report them. Include the name of the patch you used.
  • Remember that there's still unfinished content, and everything is still subject to change before the official release.

Edit: Beta saves will not be compatible with the final release, which should be out in the next week or two. So don't get too invested in it.

I'll update this post with new beta links as more bugs are fixed and content is added. They'll probably work with your save files from the previous betas, but no guarantees. I will do my best to make the final 3.0 release "future-proof", so that as many changes, upgrades, and bugfixes as possible can be made to it without breaking saves.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 2, 2018
ON IT!

I know you've sort of clarified before, but what does setting "perfect IV's" do?

Your starters automatically have perfect IV's? or... checking?

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
ON IT!

I know you've sort of clarified before, but what does setting "perfect IV's" do?

Your starters automatically have perfect IV's? or... checking?

All Pokemon's stats will be calculated as if they had perfect IVs. Their true IVs are random, like they normally are, but the game will calculate their stats as if they were maxed. Sort of like a built in Hyper Training for you and the AI.

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
New undocumented, unsupported monochrome mode. If you know how to compile Polished Crystal yourself, you'll be able to do "make monochrome" and get a copy that looks like it's on the original GameBoy.

J5hOgNQ.png

You can edit the exact colors in macros/monochrome.asm. I recommend leaving black and white alone and just changing the two intermediate hues, since some parts of the game hard-code those values out of convenience.

(Again, this is undocumented and unsupported. I will not be putting it in the FAQ or helping people get it to work. It's just a bonus for those who are interested in hacking themselves.)

Edit: I managed to extend monochrome support for "impure" white and black colors:

BCOYHin.png

Last edited:
Years
Hi! New account here. I've had my eyes on Polished Crystal for quite some time now, and I must say, you've done an amazing job with this game! I'm loving all the additional content, and can't wait for new features you can give us.

Now, I've played the beta patch 9ab21eb you posted and so I have some issues to report. The ROM I patched is the one built from pokecrystal.

• I know this is supposedly a closed issue, but I experienced this little glitch. After the low HP sound plays in battle, some of the instruments are missing. It seems to happen every time, in either wild or trainer battles.
  • Apparently, the Burn status isn't affecting the Pok?mon's Attack stat. I've had the enemy burned by Cyndaquil's Flame Body, but their physical moves would still deal the same damage. I thought this could be happening because the Perfect IVs option was on and maybe it was overriding their actual stats, but the issue is still present when Perfect IVs are off.
  • It seems you are updating content to the current gen's standards. In that case, String Shot should lower Speed by 2 stages instead of 1.

That's all I've got for now. I'll be sure to report whatever else I may find. Again, congrats on the superb job and effort put in this game!

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2022
I keep following the hack since I've played 2.2.0 and I'm amazed at the amount of the added content each time. Marvelous work!

Questions about features that will/are implemented in 3.0.0 and on

- Stats: Will/are weak evolved Poke'mon with poor stats will get buffed? (i.e. Pidgeot, Raticate etc.) so they'll be competitive?
- HMs: Are they still in the old format? Will they be easily overwriteable? Replaced by items? Buffed so It'll be worth learning them? (Such as Surf)

Thanks in advance!

BronzeSwagger

Sugar&Spice
Years
- HMs: Are they still in the old format? Will they be easily overwriteable? Replaced by items? Buffed so It'll be worth learning them? (Such as Surf)

Thanks in advance!
I believe HMs such as Rock Smash and Strength got buffs to them so they are better than they were, but other than that, they are bout the same and need the Move Deleter.

FIQ

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2022
These are changes for non-Faithful for HM moves:
Cut: 60BP/100%/Steel/Physical
Fly: 90BP/100%/Flying/Physical
Surf: 90BP/100%/Water/Special (Not changed)
Strength: 80BP/100%/Fighting/Physical
Flash: --BP/100%/Normal/Status (Not changed)
Whirlpool: 35BP/90%/Water/Special -- note that trapping moves work like VII and drain 1/8 or 1/6 with Binding Band per turn rather than 1/32
Waterfall: 80BP/100%/Water/Physical, 20% Flinch rate (Not changed)

Years
I've been testing a bit more and found these things:
Spoiler:

BronzeSwagger

Sugar&Spice
Years
Found a bug. But apparently I was standing in front of the salesman at Yellow Forest and before I even attempted to buy anything he walked into the same spot I was standing in. Then from there forth. Everywhere I walked his sprite is just stuck inside me until I go out either side of the doors of that checkpoint.

It wasn't harmful or anything and reseted itself when I walked out and went back in, and I haven't been able to replicate it to get a screenshot. But I couldn't help but laugh for a moment because I felt I was walking around possessed by a salesman. lol

I was using the current patch you have, 9ab21eb

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
I've been testing a bit more and found these things:
-Are the guards that check your badges supposed to not look at you if you walk by their side?

Correct.

-Lance's lv57 Dragonite freezes the game when he uses a move (I had to use savestates to get past him).
-Is it possible to make Karen's room less brighter? It looks weird because the player and Karen have a darker palette than the rest of the room.
-In Quiet Cave, can the surf and bike music be silenced too?
-The Berry tree between Shamouti Island and Beautiful Beach dissapears when I go to Beautiful Beach-

Fixed.

-The new music is really good! It would be awesome if you added some kind of "sound test" at the new game/continue screen (unlockable by beating Green).

I'm already short on free space, there's no room for a decent music player. Just look up the tracks on the composers' pages: Mmmmmm, ShantyTown, Pum.

Found a bug. But apparently I was standing in front of the salesman at Yellow Forest and before I even attempted to buy anything he walked into the same spot I was standing in. Then from there forth. Everywhere I walked his sprite is just stuck inside me until I go out either side of the doors of that checkpoint.

It wasn't harmful or anything and reseted itself when I walked out and went back in, and I haven't been able to replicate it to get a screenshot. But I couldn't help but laugh for a moment because I felt I was walking around possessed by a salesman. lol

I was using the current patch you have, 9ab21eb

That guy is an ordinary NPC using the same built-in movement system as everyone else:

Code:
person_event SPRITE_CLERK, 4, 6, SPRITEMOVEDATA_WALK_UP_DOWN, 1, 0, -1, -1, 0, PERSONTYPE_SCRIPT, 0, YellowForestGateClerkScript, -1

So if you can't replicate it either, I'll blame it on your emulator or cosmic rays or something. ;)

(Also, no need to report bugs here and Skeetendo.)

Back