• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Where is Isshu? Confirmed - New York

Where is Isshu?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Let's have a thread for this, so it doesn't interfere with the others. It's widely accepted that Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and the Sevii Islands are based off real-life Japanese locations; what do you think the Isshu region is based off of? I put the two most common theories in the poll. One last thing, let's not call people biased depending on where they think Isshu is based off of. >.>

Arguments for NYC

• High Link is located where Central Park is in NYC
    • There's quite a bit of Pokemon pointing toward NYC. Wargle can be seen to represent America, as it appears to be based on the Bald Eagle. Bald Eagle's are America's national bird, and Wargle is Red, White, and Blue, and also wearing a Native-American styled head-dress.
    • The Pigeon can be seen to represent America, as it is a type of pigeon that is extremely common in New York City, to the point that the city is universally known for its pigeon infestation.
    • Hiun City and Manhattan match up extremely well, especially with the docks, which Shanghai doesn't have
    • A Pokemon Center (Now Nintendo World) use to be in New York
    • The protagonists are wearing Western-styled clothes
    • The amusement park may be a reference to Coney Island, but it's important to note that Coney Island is not located there in real life
    • The Liberty Ticket takes you to an island with a tower where Victini can be found, this could reference the Statue of Liberty. It's also important to note that events often happen away from the mainland in NYC
    • The emphasis of the letter "V" with Victini could reference this: During World War II, the statue remained open to the public, although the statue was not illuminated at night. The statue was lit briefly on December 31, 1943 and on "D-Day", June 6, 1944, when the statue's lights flashed dot-dot-dot-dash, the Morse code for V, for victory."
    • NYC has a lot of bridges, like Isshu
    • The people on Pokemon Sunday who delivered the news of the starters are dressed like the people who deliver newspapers in NYC
    • There are people of varying nationalities this time. The US is known for its diversity.
    • There are American Football Players in Isshu and an American Football accessory in Pokemon Musical
    • Pokemon Musicals could reference Broadway
    • In Isshu there are three islands under Hiun, two to the left and one to the right, This matches NYC, with Ellis Island and Liberty Island on the left and Governors Island on the right.
    • There's two small islands in New York that match-up with the two islands in Isshu near the dock.
    Arguments for Shanghai
    Shaped like Isshu, and the right peninsula matches up better
    It has mountains, which there are several of in Isshu
    Bridges match-up extremely well, better than NYC
    More rural areas than NYC, which it has in common with Isshu
    Old vs. New could reference the contrast between nature and technology in China
    Pokemon Musicals could reference Chinese Opera
    The speculated Yin-Yang theme of the game could point towards Shanghai, since China is the home for that. Reshiram and Zekrom are known as the Yin and Yang Pokemon
    One could argue that the Pokemon are based on Chinese animals. Apparently Shikijika is found in the grassy areas near a river in Isshu. There is a water deer in Shanghai that is found around the river Yangtze, the one on the right. So that would point out that Shikijia could represent Shanghai water deer. Wargle could be a Chinese eagle, and Pigeons are also plentiful in Shanghai. Kurumiru is the 'sewing' Pokemon, silkworms (found in Asia) are well known for producing silk. China also has crocodiles (Meguroko. Note that the real-life crocodiles are located along the lower Yangtze river, which flows right through the desert of Isshu, which is where Meguroko is found.) and flying squirrels (Emonga). China also has a well known lake called Korla Swan Lake, where, as the name suggests, there are many swans (Swanna). The Chinese Zodiac includes Monkeys (Yanappu) pigs (Pokabu), and snakes (Smugleaf/Tsutarja). Munna and Musharna are the "Dream eating pokemon" The traditional Japanese nightmare-devouring baku originates from Chinese folklore.
    Hihidaruma is based of the daruma doll, which is representation of Bodhidharma, which is the founder of Chinese martial arts, and zen Buddhism, which, would show Hihidaruma is an Asian Pokemon.
    Shippou City is named after a Buddhist term for the "Seven Precious Treasures," so it would be a connection to Buddhism. Buddhism is mostly worshiped through Asia, and is a major religion in China.
    There's a giant lake in the middle of Isshu. It's in the exact same spot as Taihu lake in China, and it also has an island in it. Yeshan island is located inside the lake in China..
    Quindaohu lake is also on the same spot as another lake in Isshu, which is located above the windmills that are shown on the map.
    Isshu has a large desert in the area above Hiuin city, neither NYC or Shanghai have deserts there, but china is famous for having 2 of the worlds biggest deserts, Gobi and Takla-makan.
    The government has moved almost all factories within downtown to either outskirts of Shanghai or the neighboring Jiangsu and Zhejiang Province in the last two decades. This could be referenced to the abandoned factory in the woods that we saw in the prerelease pictures.
    In China there is a city named Suzhou known for being built on water and having the world's 3rd largest Ferris wheel. There is a city in Isshu built on water with a Ferris wheel in the exact location. Suzhou is also famous for it's music and opera. If Pokemon musical's take place there that would be further evidence pointing towards Shanghai.
    "Hiun" can be written in Kanji to mean "Cloud flying through the sky", a reference to Son Goku and the "Journey to the West", one of the most famous books in china.
    Isshu is the Japanese reading of the kanji used for the old name of a province of China back in the Tang dynasty.
    Zoroark, the evil fox Pokemon is most likely based on a huli jing, a Chinese spirit fox, which can change its appearance. More to this is that movie Zoroark is female, and huli jing foxes were mostly females.
    The Shanghai area also has windmills in its rural areas like Isshu in its upper part. It's important to note that China is currently the world's second producer of wind energy, and it is soon to be number one as it is growing its production.
    If Mamanbou turns out to be a Luvdisc evolution, that would be a minor hint towards Shanghai, since Shanghai is closer to Hoenn than NYC so it would make sense for it to be in this region.
    The Shanghai region is the same size as every other Pokemon region and NYC is literally 1/6th the size of Kanto.
    One could say that Iris (A girl in Isshu) is Chinese, because her character design is a very common stereotype used in a large variety of anime for Chinese girl, like clothing with very wide open sleeves, and her hair is shaped in 2 pon-pons which represents Chinese girls (Remember the character in street fighter, Chun-Li? )
    The lighthouse in Isshu is located the same place in Shanghai
    Isshu's (一生) Chinese's meanings "one life", thus I'm sure in Kanji it should be the same. It could refer to the remote life of Isshu's people from the other regions.
    There's a martial arts robe featured as an accessory in Pokemon Musical, and China is known as the home of martial arts.
    The sacred temple on the top of the moutain in the north of Isshu could be Changzhou. Changzhou is famous for its old temples left from a ancient civilization. Changzhou are famous for its archaeological ruin.
    Hiun city's right bridge connects to Chongming Xian (County of Chongming). There's a famous national park there (Forest). Walking out of the forest, there appears to be some kind of farm. That could be Nantong, famous for its cotton and textile industries due to its location by the Changjiang (Yangtze) river.
    Black and White will have text swap from hiragana/katakana to kanji. That could be catering to China.
    The Pudong airport is near the Isshu airport.
    There's also a lot of evidence in this post.

Isshu is New York!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • I say it's in Sydney.

sydney.png

As you can see by this picture, there are two main rivers, and, get this, look at the stuff at the top, left and right sides of the image. MOUNTAINS. Closer to Isshu than New York City, I think. Also, you might notice there's a funny blue splot thing in the middle of the map. That's Prospect Reservoir, which corresponds with Pokeball Lake in Isshu. I'll admit, the shape of the area between the Parramatta and Georges Rivers is shaped a bit more like a hammer than a rectangle, but the area's shape is always altered when turned into a Pokemon region.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • There is more evidence for it being Shanghai.

No there isn't. Every area on the Isshu map has a New York equivalent and the geography is a perfect match (just like Hoenn and Sinnoh were), rather then just a resemblance.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • I think the artwork sucks for being way too different than the previous ones. It doubt a real country exists in the same shape as Isshu. Furthermore, everyone is just going to keep supporting any idea where any landmass is flanked by two rivers... Because that's what this region is. It's features are too ambiguous to say for sure.

Every idea which is set forth is shot down so easily...

incognito322

let's look towards the future!
    Years
  • I think the games ARE based on NYC. Why am I so concrete in my observation? This: Pokemon Regions are nearly geographically identical in terms of the shape of the land. Sydney rules out because the land's shape is too different from that of Isshu.

My opinion? A blend of the New York City and Shanghai areas. Why? Because Pokemon takes many inspirations from different places. The geography? I'm sorry but I must say NYC because of the shape of the central island, especially the minute river that slices into it. That nuance in geography clearly points to NYC.

Shanghai's influence comes mainly fromt he bridges and the highlands to the east and west, as well as the technological superiority. The bridge with the coil, though it doesn't directly correspond with the same bridge (forgot the name) in Shanghai, definitely takes inspiration from the bridge's design. The architecture of the bridge and Hiun City point to Manhattan because it's slightly old-fashioned and the double layer seems to have taken its influence from the Manhattan Bridge.

If you look at the shapes of the lands to the east and west of the island they look just like the lands east and west of Manhattan, though they have been moved north slightly so that they all seem to meet the sea in the same area.

In short my verdict is: mainly based on NYC, some areas (like the Sky Arrow Bridge) having multiple points of inspiration.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • Okay, here's a comparison:

Spoiler:

How exactly can someone say Shanghai?

Also, I had trouble just trying to find the exact area of Shanghai I even had to screenshot, because it looked nothing like Isshu. I had to look up other screenshots people posted to find the exact area to screenshot. Seriously.

Azure-Supernova

Trainer of mediocre Champions!
    Years
  • New York, it's been almost proven

Something that is 'almost proven' is also something that is 'unproven'. It either is or isn't.

Sure it could be influenced by New York City to a degree. But at the end of the day, here's how it goes:

It isn't NYC, it isn't Shanghai, it isn't Sydney and it isn't Hyrule. It's Isshu and for all we know it might borrow elements from them all (maybe not so much Hyrule). I guess, unless it's confirmed by Game Freak in the near future, all we can do is speculate and hell, we might not ever know!

incognito322

let's look towards the future!
    Years
  • OH U! What a way to set off a standstill. I think that idea has been innately floating in the back of our heads the entire time. Then again taking something and just going with it is rather fun, too. In the end, yes, who knows what it's really based on? It's just fun looking at all of the connections and seeing how "right" you [think you] are.

And I agree with you I doubt seriously that Hyrule would ever come into the picture.

Years
  • I would absolutely kill for a Pokemon region based on Hyrule, and I don't even like LoZ.

I'm with team New York. Myles pretty much summed why I'm a bit confused with the Shanghai theory. Here's another thing worth noting.

Here's Junichi Masuda's blog
    . As you can see, it's black and white, wonder why? But look at the banner at the top of the page. That, my friends, is the New York skyline. Why would he put that up there with his BW theme?

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I would absolutely kill for a Pokemon region based on Hyrule, and I don't even like LoZ.

I'm with team New York. Myles pretty much summed why I'm a bit confused with the Shanghai theory. Here's another thing worth noting.

Here's Junichi Masuda's blog
    . As you can see, it's black and white, wonder why? But look at the banner at the top of the page. That, my friends, is the New York skyline. Why would he put that up there with his BW theme?

Pretty much agree with this. I've believed it since it was first speculated, and I'm sticking to that.

Bay

Years
  • Urgh, this debate has its own thread now? >.> I know it's fun trying to figure it where it is, but to me this is going on far too long. Not that I can stop you guys or anything. -_-

I said this already in The Isshu Region thread, but I'll say this again. I don't care if Isshu is in New York, Shanghai, etc. I just want a game with a region that has interesting locations. That's what important to me, not exactly where it comes from.

Also, it seems you guys are basing what country Isshu is from just from one city. Remember, the Pokemon regions have different geographics all over the place (even if the older games are loosely based off of Japan), so with Isshu anything goes, really.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2011
    Looking at the comparisons between Shanghai//New York with Isshu, I'd have to put my money (which is nonexistant) on New York.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back