• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Where is Isshu? Confirmed - New York

Where is Isshu?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    If basing it on Japan doesn't bother you, why America? Someone shouldn't be limited to just their own country. And most people don't even know that any Pokémon regions are based on the real world, so they're not doing it because of that.

I'm not offending anybody, I'm expressing my opinion.

It bothers me because it is a Japanese game made for a Japanese audience, and that should not be taken for granted. The original games saw extended release because of the popularity of the Anime outside of Japan, thus we should feel privelidged that we get an English language release at all.

Now, if you need it in simple terms, the point I'm trying to make is this. By basing a new region outside of Japan, if I were a loyal Japanese player of the games I would feel betrayed. They were created primarily for the Japanese, and I would feel that the company is neglecting the roots of the franchise just to satisfy the egos of SOME American players, and to perhaps gain more mainstream popularity.

My second point is that, as I have stated many times, there are SOME American players who will see it as japan recognising America's superiority over everybody else, including Japan itself. And, at the risk of bordering on political themes, that is wrong because all races, nations and people are equal, and shouldn't be judged on size or wealth.

My third point would be, why base it on an American area specifically? If the region is going to be based on an area outside of Japan, what about the other nations, and by extension cities, that play the games? What about the areas of this world that express magical natural beauty that would be perfect for a game based on capturing animals?

I just feel that it is tragic that, if Isshu is indeed based upon NYC, they have alienated the loyal players that don't reside in the US and have betrayed their loyal domestic players in Japan, all because they feel the need to adhere to the fact that America and Americans are superior to everybody else. there's nothing wrong with being patriotic, in fact I encourage it, but there is a line.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    That sounds a lot like the 'Black and White is racist' argument just put into where the place is based.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    This has got nothing to do with the names of the two versions. I do not believe that they are racist and whoever does should have a rethink about their view of the world. This is the principle of the basis of regions. In what way am I insinuating racism here?

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Also, the yin-yang concept is Asian - more specifically, Chinese. China. Shanghai. :D Plus - the alter the base geography of a region. Always. But they always base their lakes and mountains off stuff as well.

Funny. Neither of the main regions have mountains, even though GF always bases their large mountain (s) (ranges) on real ones... There's the major stumbling block in both the New York and Shanghai cases.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    This has got nothing to do with the names of the two versions. I do not believe that they are racist and whoever does should have a rethink about their view of the world. This is the principle of the basis of regions. In what way am I insinuating racism here?

Well, if you consider nationalities races. But the idea is sort of the same in that, basing it on New York has no reason to alienate or discriminate against anyone.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
    Also, the yin-yang concept is Asian - more specifically, Chinese. China. Shanghai. :D Plus - the alter the base geography of a region. Always. But they always base their lakes and mountains off stuff as well.

Funny. Neither of the main regions have mountains, even though GF always bases their large mountain (s) (ranges) on real ones... There's the major stumbling block in both the New York and Shanghai cases.
    It isn't a Yin-Yang thing anymore it is a Sky Theme.

solastalgia

dancing through life
    Years
    It's based on Beirut, obviously. The resemblance is uncanny!

... in all seriousness though, it doesn't really matter where it's based. It's a fictional world that can be created from anything and be anywhere. People are getting way too vehement arguing this.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Im just gonna break the ice and say it looks like cardiff:
    Where is Isshu? Confirmed - New York

People, people, people... All of you are blowing this all out of proportion! Does it really even matter where the hell the regions based on? Its a game for like children and maybe a some teenagers (adults may be hardcore fan but its not targeted for them :\) It's not like a 10 year olds gonna really care where its based on!
    I wouldn't be suprised if they just made this whole region up outta scratch...
    This is what I think, I think they are putting loads of different areas of the world into one region like the big wheel (london eye) and the bridge thingee (new york was it?)

Azure-Supernova

Trainer of mediocre Champions!
    Years
    Well, if you consider nationalities races. But the idea is sort of the same in that, basing it on New York has no reason to alienate or discriminate against anyone.

Can you re-word that to make more sense?

How did racism get brought into a discussion about a FICTIONAL REGION IN A FICTIONAL UNIVERSE!? All of a sudden Pokémon Black & White have political and racial connotations?

I'm sorry folks, but this is all incredibly convoluted. Jeez, it's a video game! Okay so fair enough, this could be Game Freaks' way of sticking their heads up America's ass. Or you could just remember its fiction, stop ripping each other to shreds and just play the game...

EDIT

Im just gonna break the ice and say it looks like cardiff:
    Where is Isshu? Confirmed - New York

I actually wouldn't mind that xD

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
    The bridge in that picture spirals and the sky arrow bridge doesn't. *Puts red X across Shanghai*

Zackraa

Nom Nom Nom
    Years
    The bridge in that picture spirals and the sky arrow bridge doesn't. *Puts red X across Shanghai*

the bridge connecting hiun to a rural area is exactly the same as the bridge connecting shanghai to a rural area

take another look at the pictures?

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
    The Shanghai one spirals like 3 times. the spiral on the Isshu one is for just getting on it and it only spirals one time.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years

That basically made me know/sure it was Shanghai, though, things like the City, Pigeon, Bald Eagle; they make me think it's New York which I wouldn't rather have it be. Yes, egos.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years

The Nanpu bridge has two giant tower like structures like the Sky Arrow Bridge does. The nanpu bridge ends in a swirl like the Sky Arrow Bridge does.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back