• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Missingno should return.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 27, 2020
So,i was on google a few days ago,and i found official art of missingno forms.
And after thinking about it for a while,i think missingno should return.
It would be fighting with Pikachu and Arceus for the pokemon with most forms,and again,there is official art of it's forms
Not everyone's going to agree with me on this,but if you think there are reasons it could be brought back,feel free to reply!
Now i have to go to school.... :pouting:

lol nice the emoji broke

Last edited by a moderator:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Missingno was basically invalid or corrupt data for encounters that weren't exactly normal. That's why if you caught one, it typically corrupted your game to the point of being unusable. In Yellow, it basically freezes the game so I can't see how a glitch can be added as a Pokémon.

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
Missingno was basically invalid or corrupt data for encounters that weren't exactly normal. That's why if you caught one, it typically corrupted your game to the point of being unusable. In Yellow, it basically freezes the game so I can't see how a glitch can be added as a Pokémon.

You're correct on what MissingNo is data wise, but your info in not completely correct beyond that point.
.... please forgive me, I'm a walking encyclopedia of redundant poke info, especially anything "Glitch".

MissingNo.. along with all other "Glitch Pokemon" is just a bunch of bad pointers. MissingNo in itself is quite impressive though, because how many variations it has in the hexadecimal spectrum. Because it is corrupted data/bad pointers, the game then scrambles to make up for the things it lacks.. like it's "Pokemon Cry", etc. This is why each MissingNo in the index spectrum also has a different "cry"... they all point differently.

The only real harm a Red/Blue MissingNo actually has:
-including 'M (00) -

1) It corrupts your Hall of Fame. This due to it adding MissingNo to your Dex info. It's caused from it's enormous size of corrupted data being more than what the game's buffer can handle. I corrupted enough 1st Gen Hall of Fames in my life time to tell you, that in itself, is nothing game breaking.

2) Rhydon Glitch, technically not glitch in itself. Best explained as a "Rhydon Trap". This is due to it being amoung the "Glitch Pokemon" with an invalid entry of "000".
- After 1st one caught, in the case of Red/Blue MissingNo, if you didn't encounter a Cubone beforehand (which avoids flashing it's full dex info on screen after capture), the invalid number then rolls over to the index of "001".. being Rhydon. After that 1st capture (w/ empty slot in party), if you haven't yet encounted Cubone (in this case), it will then flash MissingNo's entry on screen then turning it into a Ryhdon. This in itself is not a glitch though because it's in the games routine coding to do that.. nothing game breaking.
- The actual glitch that this does suffer is if this happened and you already have a full party upon capture. At this point, it will flash it's info on screen then get shunted directly to your PC.. then turning it into an unstable hybrid. Even that, nothing gamebreaking. Also, it can simply be correct by being deposited & withdrawn from daycare.. then turning into a "stable hybrid", making it completely safe.
- 'M (00): Still nothing game breaking, but this one can be a little problematic. Due to it being a "Glitch Pokemon" that's also a Lv.0.. it will softlock upon being put in the PC or daycare. After which point, it's permanently there and can't be removed.

3) While in a party upon entering battle, all sprites will appear reversed. This isn't game breaking either, occuring with any "Glitch Pokemon". To reverse it, simply look at the stats of a non glitch Pokemon on your team then return to the battle.

4) Like other "Glitch Pokemon"... it points to the 6th slot item in your bag, duplicating it by 128. Pretty Cool considering you don't even need to cheat to do it. The only "problem" in this is if you toss and continue duplicating it to the point of 256. At that point, tossing 1 will glitch your bag... causing your last item slot in bag to act as the "CANCEL" button. Still nothing game breaking either, though idk how to fully reverse this glitch in 1st Gen (why I never added this in my glitch thread). But with this.. investing some time, a little research, & trial.. you can completely exploit this glitch to use you bag (now pointed to RAM) in combo with your item PC to run arbitrary execution code and do all sorts of awesome and crazy stuff in your game without even cheating. The only time this would lead to something game breaking is if you're foolish or careless about it.

With That Said, Red/Blue MissingNo is one of the safest glitch Pokemon in existence.

In the case of Yellow, it can lead to game break if you catch it.
- Upon capture, it causes a graphical duplicating your sprite (sometimes other NPCs included) and scatters them throughout that area.. even missaligned on the map's grid. Personally I think it's pretty cool, done it multiple times myself, out of boredom. The game Really doesn't like it though but often seems to handle it fine.
- In Yellow, using it in battle can be game breaking.
- The glitches caused by this one is due to the game freaking out because of how it's Pikachu garbage sprite data is pointed.

... Hope I cleared some things up here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now to answer the question on this thread. Personally, I think GF should have made standard MissigNo into a valid "non glitch" Pokemon. It's one of the most famous of the glitches in the entire span of Pokemon gaming, including pomeg berry glitch. I believe it deserves recognition to the point of earning valid poke info, along with a valid placement in the pokedex.

Last edited:

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
Years
So,i was on google a few days ago,and i found official art of missingno forms.
And after thinking about it for a while,i think missingno should return.
It would be fighting with Pikachu and Arceus for the pokemon with most forms,and again,there is official art of it's forms
Not everyone's going to agree with me on this,but if you think there are reasons it could be brought back,feel free to reply!
Now i have to go to school.... :pouting:

lol nice the emoji broke

Let's be frank here, Missingno or the "missing number" is just an error of an inexisting pokemon, saying "returning" as if you're stating its a legendary canon character which its is hilarious!

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
Let's be frank here, Missingno or the "missing number" is just an error of an inexisting pokemon, saying "returning" as if you're stating its a legendary canon character which its is hilarious!

Personally, I don't believe this is something that should be bashed on.

Most people who played Pokemon and never touched a 1st Gen game in their life even heard of MissingNo.. even if they have no clue what it is.

The glitch itself is famous to the point of being something legendary, despite MissingNo not being a legend in any way.

Last edited:

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
Red/Blue MissingNo is one of the safest glitch Pokemon in existence.

MissingNo. is awesome, I would enjoy him being real and all, but he ain't 'safe'.

Me and my brother used to fill our pc box with him on my brother's old pokemon blue files.

It ALWAYS lead to weird glitches appearing in his box later on.

This is something most people don't know, about MissingNo. I suppose, if you don't catch him, maybe he IS pretty harmless, though.....(still even so; he's a glitch for a reason :/)

Last edited:

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
MissingNo. is awesome, I would enjoy him being real and all, but he ain't 'safe'.

Me and my brother used to fill our pc box with him on my brother's old pokemon blue files.

It ALWAYS lead to weird glitches appearing in his box later on.

This is something most people don't know, about MissingNo. I suppose, if you don't catch him, maybe he IS pretty harmless, though.....(still even so; he's a glitch for a reason :/)

Despite that, as far as exploitable glitch pokemon go from the span of pokemon games... your regular red/blue missingno is still the safest one. Doesn't mean it's safe like a regular valid poke though. xD

EDIT: huh, now that I think of it.. I swore I did one run ages ago where I didn't even catch one but still corrupted my hall of fame because of the dex info, plus glitched my bag to run code in it... at least that's what I remember xD

Last edited:

DarkSkys

Still Alone, Still Alive, Still Unbroken
Years
MissingNo may be corrupted data in the older games but it was some unique and honestly wouldn't mind seeing something similar in newer games.

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
Years
Personally, I don't believe this is something that should be bashed on.

Most people who played Pokemon and never touched a 1st Gen game in their life even heard of MissingNo.. even if they have no clue what it is.

The glitch itself is famous to the point of being something legendary, despite MissingNo not being a legend in any way.

It is a famous glitch... But my point was about, specifically, the "forms concepts, amd different form shapes" wtf?

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
Years
I would be cool to have missingno. in pokémon games.
But maybe without the glitches?

Still keeping the glitchy appearence, but without the glitch effects like Hall of Fame, and Duplicate Items.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
if it could have a stable form and a cool backstory to go along with it, i think it would be a cool addition as an actual pokemon. the thing about it is that it's not supposed to exist since it's a glitch in the game and it corrupts your save file should you manage to catch it. but i mean, if gamefreak can make the going into space to get deoxys rumor a reality, making an accident into something canon isn't too far fetched.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
Years
now that I think about it.

You could literally make it an ultra-beast.
As it does not look, nor behave like normal pokémon.

And you could probably give it, it's own ultra-dimension, that looks like R/B/Y's Cinnabar Island.
That'd be nice as heck!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
totally down for missingno as an ultra beast and having a cool ass glitchy dimensional port.

Last edited:
Back