• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

physical and special attackers

Years
  • Do you tend to use physical or special attackers more in battle, or a mix or both?

I find myself naturally gravitating towards special attacking Pokémon and moves. Out of a party of six, at least four will be special-based, usually!

Years
  • mostly special attackers. i can't get enough of calm mind/tbolt/ice beam/shadow bolt/psychic/psyshock. @__@

although i'll have a few physical attackers just so my special attackers don't get walled.

Last edited:

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I use special attackers a lot there is really good stats boosting moves for special attackers like calm mind and quiver dance, I also mix physical if I cant break the special wall and despite just using sword dance most of the time while bulk up is useful for quite handful of mons.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I usually use special attackers more often, probably because I like using Fire-types and most of them are special-based.

Years
  • I've always found that pretty interesting how most people tend to gravitate towards special attackers even though there are an equal amount of both, but I bet most people do since the physical types (pre-Gen IV but also just generally) have a lot of overlap between Fighting/Normal and Rock/Ground/Steel, not to mention the fact that half the regions hardly have respectable bug types.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Usually no preference.

For example Gyarados should be phsyical, but Surf typically comes earlier so it's getting stuck with a special move.

In game I prefer the move power more, unless the stat difference for phsyical and special is truly significant. For example I remember in gen 4 Alakazam tries to learn Psycho Cut, but that's definitely not going to be learned.

Years
  • I've always found that pretty interesting how most people tend to gravitate towards special attackers even though there are an equal amount of both, but I bet most people do since the physical types (pre-Gen IV but also just generally) have a lot of overlap between Fighting/Normal and Rock/Ground/Steel, not to mention the fact that half the regions hardly have respectable bug types.

my thing is that i gravitate towards special attackers because iirc it's easier to just spam teach most things ice beam/t-bolt/(insert special attack here). and while it's possible that for physical attackers, the opposite may be true with swords dance, i personally found some of them a bit harder to work around somewhat while special attacker seem more or less similar

Years
  • im more on the mixed side. it all depends on the type. if its fighting or dark, i usually go physical and if its fire or water, i'll go special.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I gravitate towards special attackers to the point that I need to consciously tell myself that I need at least one physical attacker so I don't get completely walled by special walls haha.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • For some reason most of the time my teams end up being heavily physical... I don't not want special attackers but for some reason there is usually more physical attackers on my teams.

My current nuzrun is different, though, I have 4 special attackers and 2 physical, and everyone is a user of special moves.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2021
    I'm definitely a mix player, cuz u never know when the other team has a sp. def or def tank

Back