• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

opinion: black =/= good shiny & green =/= horrible shiny

team black or team green

• black

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • green

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen May 30, 2021
    we've all heard the "greninja's shiny is so awesome" or "charizard has the best shiny!!" or "black is the best color for shinies", right?

let me tell you, greninja and charizard have some really dull and boring shinies. greninja is overly black and the black that charizard has is just.... way too grey honestly.

Charizard and Greninja arent the only Pokemon given a dull ass shiny. Rayquaza, Haxorus, Palossand, and Camerupt. Now whether you like those Pokemon or not, their shinies are an immidient downgrade from their original designs.

Making your pokemon's shiny black doesn't automatically look better. Making a pokemon black doesnt make it look good.

and my god yall overhate on green shinies. yeah ok *some* look bad but just because a pokemon's shiny is green doesnt mean it sucks. beedrill, jolteon, muk, crustle, scizor, etc. they all have really nice shinies.

ive seen so many hunters actually *skip* some shinies on their hunts just because theyre green. bleh.

the green shiny slander is too much smh

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    beedrill, jolteon, muk, crustle, scizor, etc. they all have really nice shinies.

I mean, if you like them more power to you, but I, and a lot of people would disagree. And that's fine, art is subjective.

There is no one true metric of what is and isn't a better design, lol.

Charizard and Greninja arent the only Pokemon given a dull ass shiny. Rayquaza, Haxorus, Palossand, and Camerupt. Now whether you like those Pokemon or not, their shinies are an immidient downgrade from their original designs.

This is a hard pass, though. Like, it's OK if you think the original colors are better - I might even agree with you with some of those - but the shiny color swaps are in no way objectively inferior like you're implying there.

pkmin3033

Eh, it all comes down to personal preference. You're free to like what you like, and other people are free to do the same. It is quite often the case that certain shinies will garner more praise than others, but there is no majority opinion or objective way of looking at these things. Your viewpoint is just as valid as anyone else's - even if not a lot of people seem to share it at first glance - and you don't need to be defensive of it or aggressive towards others for not agreeing with it.

But whenever I think of green shinies I think shiny Espeon which is the most disgusting thing in existence tbh. But shiny Whismur - my very first ever wild shiny excluding the Gyarados - has green ears and it looks so much better than the regular one. Whilst it's not a shiny I am overly fond of, I do think the green colour scheme of the shiny Applin line is very fitting as well.

Years
  • I don't have a color preference. I just want shinies to be noticeably different. Therefore I only dislike shinies that are so dang close to the original, I need to pull em side by side to even tell the difference. Unfortunately my favorite mon has such a shiny T^T

But whenever I think of green shinies I think shiny Espeon which is the most disgusting thing in existence tbh.

Seconded. They sure did espeon dirty giving it that shiny =(

Years
  • Black shinies tend to be a bit overrated and I'm honestly not as big a fan of them as some people, but they do look good. Green shinies though... my personal preference doesn't like the shades of green they use. Shame because Espeon could be a lot cooler with a better shade, and Dragonite would look awesome if it was pink/purple like its pre-evolutions!

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • i like shiny dragonite :) i had one in Let's Go Eevee and it was a true pal
    espeon is okay too but definitely a bit much

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Personally, Black shinies are eye catching the greenish shinies and again not every green/black shiny pokemans are nice looking and some can be that dull and boring so not everyone's cup of tea when comes to shinies

Years
  • For me black shinies tend to fall be decent but not exceptional, while green shinies range from amazing (Cubone, Dragonite, Lombre, Snivy line) to war crime worthy (Nidoqueen). But if I had to pick a color of shiny I tend to like the least in would be pink (looking at you Qwilfish).

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I agree that not all green shinies are bad, only the ones that look sick/radioactive are ones I don't like... like Tauros. Is shiny Tauros okay? Is it sick?

There are plenty that are pretty decent, a lot of the grass shinies that happen to be Green are pretty good, in my opinion, like Shiny Bulbasaur in earlier generations. Not so much in 3d though, I literally can barely tell the difference these days between regular and shiny Bulbasaur, that's 3d models for you.

As for black shinies... Well, /shrugs you're entitled to your opinion, but I like them. I don't love them as much as some Youtubers seem, to, however. I prefer pink, blue, and red shinies far more than black, especially red and pink. So, I'd pick those over a Black shiny any day.

Years
  • ok, so.... shiny rant time, i suppose!

i want to start off by saying that green is one of those colours that, to me, really depends on the shade for it to work out well (like, in my post flair, it's more or less pastel-ish greens because i like those, and shaymin's more grassy/natureish greens are cool, too). not every pokemon design is going to work with that colour. i can list off a few examples but there are probably too many green shinies for me to really go over in full. anyway

- bulbasaur evo line: the shiny green doesn't bother me here, and in some aspects actually fits them more. i used to really dislike green on the bulba evos but nowadays, i don't mind it
    - kakuna/beedril: this is like, a poster child example of a green that just doesn't work out. why are kakuna/beedril this weird, neon-green colour? i just don't vibe with the shade that was picked out at all.
    - machomp family: not a big fan of these. unsure if it would've been a better move to just make machamp yellow if Game Freak had to have made it a light colour, but the green just doesn't sit well with the rest of its design
    - espeon: this is also the poster child of shinies that are pretty polarising, and i don't blame people for not being a huge fan of shiny espeon. it's such a huge departure from its original purple colouring, and not in a good way at that. it's weird that im saying this, but maybe espeon would've been better if it had the gengar or garchomp treatment of not having that much alteration to its original colour in the first place, because it's original colour is good enough as it is.
    - scyther/scizor: oddly enough, i don't mind these. perhaps it's because green suits their bug typing, or perhaps it's because their shade of green isn't totally obnoxious and actually goes with their other colours. perhaps a combination of both. but the change, however drastic, doesn't seem to really be jarring for me at all.
    - teddiursa/ursaring: eh.... idk how to feel about this. to be honest, i think black would've been a better choice here. i mean, there are black bears after all, so i don't see why not.

anyway, like i said, these are small examples out of the many, many green shinies out there that ultimately are down to preference but it kinda demonstrates my point that green, for me, is heavily dependent on shade and whether that shade goes with a particular pokemon's design. it's not a bad choice in every single scenario, sure, but in most cases it's not really a great choice when a better shade or another colour altogether could be better.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I think the problem with green shinies in most cases is the "bad" green shinies are the ones that have clashing colors with other parts of the shiny. Espeon with the ears, Dragonite with the wings, Scizor with the darker green accents, Nidoqueen.... These clashing colors kind of hurt to look at.

With green theres so many shades featured and with the black shinies theres only one shade of black. Black typically looks good with any color so imo none of the black shinies have clashing color shinies and thus aren't ugly.

Some of my favorite green shinies include Teddiursa, Dodrio, Kingler, Chansey, Tangela, Marill, Azurill, Stantler, Hoppip, Sudowoodo, Mewtwo. None of these clash and overall I like each shade of green used.

My least favorite green shinies include Dragonite, Espeon, Cascoon, Ursaring, Muk, Kakuna, Nidoqueen. Scizor is kind of interesting, I like the light green but I don't like the dark green next to it. If the dark green parts didn't change I think Scizor would look amazing. Almost all of these have clashing colors on the shinies. Cascoon is a head scratcher, Silcoon's eyes change colors to imo 2 colors that compliment each other immensely, Cascoon's eyes don't change and thus it reminds me of Christmas. That being said I don't get that feeling from Sudowoodo...

I think another reason these shinies are frowned upon is that people think they deserve better colors as shinies. Black or white are rare shiny colors so they feel more sleak. Green kind of reminds you of your least favorite vegetable. Maybe green is more often your least favorite color.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I don't really mind both of them. Usually, when I'm not a fan of a certain Pokémon, I'm probably also not fan of its shiny form.

I agree with what was said about shades of green. Some of them are horrendous. But I like shiyn Nidoqueen.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    The only shiny that 'disgusts' me is Metagross, the gold fringed Metagross just looks gaudy.

AMP017

Trans Sylveon Enjoyer
    Years
  • I really think that this is weird, why would a color make a shiny immediatly good or bad? Shiny nidoqueen is green and looks amazing, I honestly thing that espeon could have been better though. Think of scizor which looks insane shiny and beedrill's line looks relatively good shiny green.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I kind of like shiny Ursaring, think it looks good in green imo

I would say that the only "horrible" shinies are the ones that look far too similar to the normal versions, such as Garchomp and Kecleon

Back