• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Dual-Generation Tournament {Winner: Dragon}

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
Years
  • Seen yesterday
The Dual-Generation Tournament
Tournament and Format
Welcome to The Dual-Generation Tournament! As the name suggests, participants must use Pok?mon from two different generations of Pok?mon to create a team of six. Like most other tournaments with minor modifications, the matches are to be played in the [Gen 7] OU Tier.

Now, there still remain some issues with the format that have to be cleared up:
  • The teams will consists of three Pok?mon from one generation and three from a different generation.
  • Splitting two/four or one/five is not allowed.
  • You can switch up teams between games/matches.
  • You do not have to stick to the same two generations.
  • Alolan Forms count as Gen 7.
  • Mega Evolutions count as the generation the base Pok?mon was introduced in.
  • Ash-Greninja's base form is Greninja, so it counts as Gen 6.
  • As a general rule, Alternate Formes belong to the generation they were introduced in.
  • For example, Zygarde-50% counts as Gen 6, but Zygarde-10% would count as Gen 7.
  • Again, standard OU rules and clauses apply.

Tournament Rules

• Battles can be held on the Pok?Community Battle Server or on Pok?mon Showdown Main.
  • The tournament is Single Elimination and is also a Best Two out of Three.
  • You MUST post all replays as proof of your victory or loss.
  • You may be disqualified for using an illegal team.

Participants:

Matchups:

Round 1:
Spoiler:

Round 2:
  • Dragon vs gimmepie (1 2)
  • Aaron vs FireSnow (1 2)
  • wolf vs Sam1994 (1 2)
  • Choice Specs vs Kostas (1 2)

Semis:
(Choice Specs was selected to move on due to Kostas dropping out)
  • Dragon vs FireSnow (1 2 3)
  • wolf vs Choice Specs (1 2)

Finals:
  • Dragon vs wolf (1 2 3)

Mini-Guide:

OU Pokes: (note: you are not limited to only OU Pokes!)
Spoiler:

Tips:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen yesterday
Hi guys, a few quick updates.

1) My goal is to have at least 16 people join the tournament, we'll see whether that happens or not.
2) I WILL be doing some sort of seeding for this tournament. The reasoning for this is because I feel like players who generally place higher in tournaments should not have to face each other early in a tournament. I'm preparing to do some seeding based on previous tournament performance.
3) I will also post a mini-compendium or guide-esque thing here that makes it easier for participants to teambuild. I think I should have done this before posting the tournament, so apologies to everyone.

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen yesterday
Ok, I'm gonna cut the number of entrants at 16, which means there are 2 spots left.

Also, I sorted the OU tier by generation: (note: you are not limited to only OU Pokes!) It's also in the first post.
Spoiler:

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen yesterday
Notifications:
Spoiler:
Hi all, I got the registration deadline late by 1 day, so apologies to all for the delay.

I tried seeding by calculating ELO for everyone based on PCL signup tour and PCL weeks. The reason I did not work with the RU or LC tours is because of two reasons:
1. I don't feel that RU or LC are very relevant for this tournament, seeing as it is OU.
2. The data from the RU and LC tournaments are not very well documented in the threads, and it would be too much of a hassle (in addition to the burden I've already put on myself) to go and collect the data.

However with the PCL data, I feel like the it isn't very representative of true skill, as some players may have only played one or two weeks but have higher ELO due to winning those one or two weeks. I turned to ELO because looking at match/game win percentage presents a similar problem, and I thought that ELO would give me the results that I wanted.

In the end I decided to seed based on a combination of ELO, match-weighted win percentage, and game-weighted win percentage. Weight is based on square root of games/matches played. After seeding, the seeds are as follows in the Spoiler below. The last four seeds, 11-14, were randomly generated. If you are not pleased with your seed, please keep in mind that this is all based on data and algorithms of some sort. If anyone is curious, hit me up and I can send you the spreadsheet.
Spoiler:

Thus, the Bracket is the following:
Tzqdz4N.png

EDIT: Ok, I'm stupid and forgot to broadcast the deadline for round one. It will be June 28th, 11:59pm EST. Please get your matches done before then.

Last edited:
Back