• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
Years
I'm amazed at how fast tyranitar042 can do these things my heartgold bug run has been goinf for about 5 weeks, granted I am doing a water UMC on the side. With my bigs i have come up with a strategy for Red. Forretress will use stealth rock and toxic spikes twice. And i will have scizor there for back up toxic when red uses full restore. Now i just have to get enpugh battle points for the toxic tm.

On water i have progressed alot

After training up blobbo and hypnotoad i tackled silph co. After easily beating those stupid grunts. I beat blue but this fight was sort of hard. A nice man or woman not sure wich gave me a lapras after this fight and suddenly Ness the lapras completed my team. Beating giovanni i then proceed to beat sabrina in her gym, blaine in his gym and giovanni again in viriian gym, turns out he was the leader. Traveled through victory road and am now gringing everyone to level 56. 4/6 are at 56.

Team Celine
Sophie - Lv 46
emesprani009.gif

Surf
Earthquake
Hydro Cannon
Bite

Levi - Lv 47
emesprani130.gif

Surf
Bite
Thunder
?? forgot last move

Bubbles - Lv 56
emesprani134.gif

Aurora Beam
Surf
Acid Armor
Bite

Hypnotoad - Lv 56
emesprani062.gif

Brick Break
Surf
Belly Drum
Hynosis

Blobbo - Lv 56
emesprani073.gif

Ice Bem
Surf
Barier
Supersonic

Ness - Lv 56
emesprani131.gif

Perish Song
Ice Beam
Surf
Psychic

Nearly beaten E4 when i levell up sophie and levi

Tyranitar042

Tyranitar King
Years
  • Age 34
  • US
  • Seen Feb 15, 2013
Well I could give you a hint use only 3 or less I've done alot of monotype runs and when I started I used a full team of 6 if you use less pokemon that can cover your weaknessess well then its a breeze. It used to take me about a week to finish these things but now its kinda quick. I already know where the things are in the game like in gold I remembered the beserk gene in the water by cerulean cave which was a major help against red Gligar max atk with swift and Iron Tail is wicked in gold/silver. Another Example of choosing your team wisely, Im starting emerald and I'm using Swampert, Flygon, and Claydol. They cover each weakness and can counter it thus making it easier when facing types you are weak to. Next time try using only 3 so u dont have to grind so much on wild pokemon.

Update on Ultimate Ground
Game: Emerald
Name: Zion

I picked Mudkip and as luck would have I was headed to beat may when I stumbled upon a frikkin shiny wingull I was ticked bc one I finally find a shiny other than golbat and larvitar and i can't catch it omg i almost quit the whole thing but no huge big deal right, anyways I beat may did the main quest stuff blah blah blah, and then I find another shiny pokemon (this time it was a poochyena)vand i was going to catch it but u know my luck crit...dead. Furious so I restarted and did all that crap again and now I am in dewford with 2 badges and no shinies.......... good update otherwise.

Last edited:

Wya77

Average Trainer
Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2011
Proggy

So, It hasn't been too long since my last update, but I've been playing a lot. (It's going to be vague)

Since last time, I:

- Went to the Vermilion City Gym
- Went back to Cerulean City and Route 9
- I made my way through the Rock Tunnel
- Got to Lavender Town
- Went to Route 8 and Celadon City to the Game Corner and Gym
- Got the Silph Scope
- Went to the Pokemon Tower and calmed Marowak down
- Woke up the Snorlax on Route 12
- Got to Fuchsia City
- Got the Teeth and the HMs and a Doduo
- Beat the Gym
- Flew to Celadon and got the Tea
- Went to Saffron
- Story, story, story
- Beat the Fighting Dojo
- Saved

Spoiler:

Sacr3d Fire

Rock the house with fire
Years
Update #2 on my fire UMC.
----------------------------------
-Trained my Charmeleon on the ship.
-Defeated my rival Green.
-Got HM cut.
-Defeated Surge.

-I was looking for a Flash slave and a found this guy...

-Got my second member of my team Growlithe.
-Got my Evee and made it evolve into a Flareon.
-4th gym was too easy...

-Made my way to Fushia city and defeated Koga.

My team at the moment:
-Charizard Lv 37
-Flareon Lv 35
-Growlithe Lv 38

Last edited:

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
Years
FINSHED BUG UMC JOHTO FINALLY

I have finally defeated red. (IN my bug UMC)
I never actualyy beat red could never be bopthored so this is pretty special, beating him for the forst time and with just bugs.

PLAY BY PLAY

Spoiler:

TEAM CIAX FOR BUG UMC HEART GOLD

Jagg - Lv 80 @ Metal Coat
212.png

Bullet Punch
X - Scissor
Swords Dance
Toxic
Jagg was the team leader and mvp of everything. Bullet punch saved me many times after a good swords dance. Easily the best one here.

Hercules - Lv 80 @ Focus Sash
214.png

Megahorn
Close Combat
Aerial Ace
Rock Slide
With 4 different type moves he was definetoly my type coverage. Rock Slide killed fire types, especially charizzard and close combat was easily the best move of his. Very hard without him

Clamps - Lv 80 @ Shell Bell
127.png

Earthquake
X - Scissor
Swords Dance
Rock Climb
Got me to red with rock climb. Consistent membet through the game. Earthquak was good with mold breaker to kill pesky levitators. Also for pikachu. Never used a pinsir before but glad i did. :D

Spokes - Lv 80
205.png

Stealth Rock
Bug Bite
Payback
Iron Defence
While not a great damager he was there when ineeded him. For psychis and any phsyical attacker. Stealth rock really helped with red.

Cleo - Lv 61
166.png

Swift
Reflect
Light Screen
Bug Buzz
Ledian was a real let down. Really bad attacking stats i stopped levelling her and chucked her in teh daycare, whgich is reflected by her level. USefull at the start though.

Dennis - Lv 61
168.png

Poison Jabb
Spider Webb
Sucker Punch
Dig
Was very usefull at the start but his usefullness kept diminishing. Eventually put him in the daycare as well. Sorry dennis but you are not that strong. I hate to be mean to my bugs but that is the truth.

ON TO HOENN (finally, I have been in johto for at least 5 weeks, about time i beat red)

Lunacrest

has ninja'd: 2600
Years
Name: Corona
Type: Fire

I will be doing the Ultimate Monotype Challenge, with FireRed, Crystal, Ruby, Platinum, and Pokemon Black. Wish me luck. I've already figured out my teams for each version.

Pokemon FireRed:
Charizard
Arcanine
Flareon

Last edited:

k137an

Smile... or go to jail
Years
sorry it took me so long to get started but my laptop has been playing up and i have only just been able to use my emulator. so anyway.
started game
named myself k137an
got charmander named mauris
got to viridian
delivered oaks parcel
caught5 pidgey named procelosus
saved and finished.

i do not remember why i called them what i did. XD

Technician

Aerial Ace
Years
Sorry for the long delay in updates guys, but I've finally started on Heart Gold for my Ground UMC.

UMC: Heart Gold (Ground Types)
Update 1

• Started the game. Selected Totodile (doesn't matter who I take anyways)
  • Did the Egg quest. Fought rival, won by spamming Scratch.
  • Named rival James so you all know who I'm talking about when I mention him!
  • Finally got Pokeballs and caught a Geodude (Gio). Deposited Totodile into the PC.
  • Grinded Gio along Route 30.
  • Got to Violet City but ducked down to Route 32 to pick up a Wooper! (Zippy)
  • Currently grinding Zippy and Gio now to take on Sprout Tower.

My Team:

Spr_4h_074.png

Gio the Geodude
Level 12
-Tackle
-Rock Throw
-Mud Sport
-Rock Polish

Spr_4h_194_f.png

Zippy the Wooper
Level 10
-Water Gun
-Tail Whip
-Mud Shot
-Mud sport

Lunacrest

Years
Update #1: Fire-type UMC (FireRed)

-Obtained Charmander from Professor Oak.
-Beat my Rival, Green, and his Squirtle.
-Trained on Route 2, and learned Ember.
-Reached Viridian City, and got the Oak's Parcel.
-Went back to Pallet Town after training my Charmander.
-Delivered Oak's Parcel, and received the PokeDex and 5 Poke Balls.
-Stormed through Route 1 for the third time, and reached Viridian City again.
-Traversed ahead and went through Viridian Forest.
-I learned Metal Claw, which would help against Brock.
-I reached Pewter City, and decided to face the Pewter City Gym.
-I beat the Jr. Trainer, and then decided to train some more.
-I trained on the Route before Pewter City, until Level 16.
-Charmander evolved into Charmeleon.
-I went back to the Pewter City gym to take on Brock. My battle with the Gym Leader can be viewed here. My team so far.

Spoiler:

coolfarhan11

Blissey's Manly!
Years
Darn, I don't think I posted my last post.

Any ways...
Update #4 and 5 for Pokemon Silver Psychic monotype:

Did a lot of typing last time, so I don't want to do it again basically caught Girafarig and Staryu, beat Pryce, then Jasmine, then Goldenrod. Then I went through Ice Path. Healed up then straightaway barged into gym. Beat everyone, got badge, then got master ball, beat elite four. I'm pretty awesome! :)

Team is now:

Starmie level 42
-Thunder
-Blizzard
-Recover
-Waterfall

Hypno level 43
-ThunderPunch
-Hypnosis
-Confusion
-Ice Punch

Girafarig level 41
-Stomp
-Agility
-Psybeam
-Baton Pass

Slowbro level 42
-Shadow Ball
-Curse
-Confusion
-Surf

And a shout out to Krabby, Paras, and Noctowl, my wonderful HMSlaves!

Last edited:

Sire

Making Flareon Own You
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
Starting Crystal. Dang, I've been lazy. @_@

• Named myself Sire
scaled.php

• Picked Cyndaquil
  • Beat my Rival
  • Got the Egg and delivered it to Elm
  • Named Rival Silver
  • Then went up to Route 45 and caught a Phanpy, nicknamed Armorum
scaled.php

• Caught a Geodude, too, just in case
  • Using Cyndaquil, trained up Phanpy in Sprout Tower
  • Defeated Falkner
scaled.php

• Went South, where I waited until night and caught a Wooper, nicknamed Piscium
scaled.php

• Trained Piscium up
  • Made it to Azalea Town, where I helped Kurt defeat Team Rocket
  • Then tried to beat Bugsy a few times, Scyther was too strong so I trained Geodude to level 11
  • Destroyed Bugsy with Geodude's Rock Throw
scaled.php

• Beat Silver
scaled.php

• Obntained Cut
  • On the way to Goldenrod City, Piscium evoled into a Quagsire
scaled.php

• Beat Whitney
scaled.php

• Waited until morning
  • Caught a Nidoran-M, nicknamed Rex
scaled.php

• Trained Rex to level 16, where he evolved
scaled.php

• Made it to Ecruteak City after getting past Sudowoodo, where I entered Burned Tower
  • Defeated Silver and met the dogs
scaled.php

• Defeated Morty
scaled.php

|Team|

231.gif

Armorum the Phanpy
Level 22
|Headbutt
|Growl
|Defense Curl
|Flail

074.gif

Geodude
Level 25
|Selfdestruct
|Defense Curl
|Rock Throw
|Magnitude

195.gif

Piscium the Quagsire
Level 23
|Water Gun
|Amnesia
|Slam
|Ice Punch

033.gif

Rex the Nidorino
Level 20
|Leer
|Poison Sting
|Horn Attack
|Double Kick

Tyranitar042

Tyranitar King
Years
  • Age 34
  • US
  • Seen Feb 15, 2013
Dang could you put those pics in a spoiler anyways Update
Ive gone from dewford and beat my rival leaving some trainers so i can use them as training dummies when i get trapinch and claydol. thats all not much.

Technician

Aerial Ace
Years
UMC: Heart Gold (Ground Types)
Update 2

• Beat the Elder atop Sprout Tower; got TM70 Flash!
  • Went to the Gym, beat the trainers, then went up against Falkner.
  • Gio goes out. Rock Throw beats Pidgey OHKO. Sand Attack wrecked Gio's accuracy, so I pull him for Zippy. Gust eventually takes out Zippy, but I got a few Water Guns in first. Back to Gio, accuracy is reset, Rock Throw for the win.
  • Healed, got the egg from the PokeMart. Deposited because Togepi is not a ground type lol.
  • Grinded along Route 32 towards Union Cave.
  • Talked to Kurt in Azalea Town, then went to Slowpoke Well. Beat everyone, grinded some levels.
  • Preparing to face the Gym.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Lunacrest

Years
Update #2: Fire-type UMC (FireRed)

-Went up through to Mt. Moon, and went through the Clefairy hideout.
-Obtained the Dome Fossil, but it's not like I'm going to use it.
-Got to Cerulean City, and decided to skip Misty.
-Beat my Rival Green at Nugget Bridge.
-Annihilated the Nugget Bridge with Charmeleon.
-Beat the Rocket Grunt at the end of the bridge.
-Stormed through to the Cerulean Cape, where Bill's House was, defeating every trainer.
-I separated his cells from the Clefairy, and as a reward, he gave me the S.S. Ticket for the S.S. Anne.
-I decided to face the Cerulean City gym, and beat the Jr. Trainers. However, after this, I decided to train some more.
-I beat the Rocket Grunt who stole the TM, and got the TM again.
-I went south towards Vermilion City through the Underground Pass.
-I defeated all the Trainers on the way there.
-I went on the S.S. Anne, and defeated my Rival, after entering Vermilion City.
-I got the VS. Seeker after leaving the ship.
-I went back towards Cerulean City, confident I would win against Misty.
-I lost against her about 5 times, and then went back south to train some more against Bug Catcher Elijah, whose Butterfree gave out a hefty amount of experience.
-I reached Level 34, learning Flamethrower.
-I went back to the Cerulean City gym to take on Misty. My battle with the Gym Leader can be viewed here.
-I went through towards east of Cerulean City, beating every Trainer. My Charmeleon reached Level 36, and evolved. And then, it gained another level. -I went through Rock Tunnel without Flash, and then entered Lavender Town.
-I went west of Lavender Town towards Celadon City, through the Underground Path.
-I caught Growlithe, after beating some more trainers.
-I decided to go back to Cerulean City, so I went back through Rock Tunnel again.
-I am grinding Growlithe on Bug Catcher Elijah right now.
-Lt. Surge, you're going down! My team so far:

Spoiler:

Sacr3d Fire

Rock the house with fire
Years
Update #3 of my Fire-type UMC.
-----------------------------------------
-Trained my team on my way to Silph co tower.
-Defeated Team Rocket at Silph co tower and got the masterball.
-Defeated Sabrina no big deal. *Yawn*

-Trained my team on my way to the 7th gym.
-Got the key at the pokemon mansion to open the gym.
-Defeated Blaine.

-Did the miniquest on three island.
-Made my way back to the 8th gym.
-Defeated Giovanni again..

-Im at the E4 right now so here my team.

Arcanine Lv 55
Flareon Lv 55
Charizard Lv 55

Years
  • Seen Dec 11, 2014
UMC - Water
Kanto/Pokemon Yellow - Update 2

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=6791030#post6791030

With school approaching things are getting a little hectic. My goal remains to complete all 5 gens, though the journey will be a long one. I am enjoying Yellow, I have never actually played it before now, I only had red and blue when they came out. My team is also shaping up nicely and I'm using a lot of Pokemon I really love.

-Went to Vermilion City and boarded the S.S Anne while watching the accompanying anime episodes. It's one of my favorite parts of R/B/Y.
-Easily defeated the trainers/my rival and received Cut. I'm using Charmander as my HM slave and I hate to think there only becomes more HMs next gen. On that note, I forgot how small bag space was in this game.
-Defeated Lt. Surge (Or Major Bob as he's known in the French version), who was kind of a push over. Raichu didn't use any electric attacks and I managed to defeat him with my just Goldeen on par with his level.

Lt. Surge Gym Battle

-After beating him, decided to pick-up Squirtle. I generally avoid starter Pokemon as I'm burned out with them, so this will be my only starter throughout all 5 gens. I really like Blastoise's sprite and it's been a while.
-Trained said Squirtle and my others for a while before entering the Rock Tunnel.
-Didn't care enough to pick up Flash as it's fairly simple to navigate with the walls.
-Got to Lavender Town, which is a blinding shade of purple in Pokemon Yellow but I like it, especially the music. I also really like the Pokemon Tower, it's eerie yet calming.
-Got to Celadon and rejoiced knowing that this is where my team would come together. I picked up the Eevee and went straight to the department store to buy my three water stones. I then trained all of them and evolved Goldeen and Wartortle.
-Erika was definitely the strongest leader so far, though I never felt on the verge of losing. I don't think any other Gym Leaders will knock out as many of my Pokemon.

Erika Gym Battle

That's all for now! You can watch my Gym Battles on my Youtube account. My next update will be after defeating Koga and Sabrina. My sixth slot will be taken up by Omastar, I'm quite happy with my team.

Current Team:

9.png

Lv. 36 Blastoise

121.png

Lv. 33 Starmie

119.png

Lv 33 Seaking

91.png

Lv. 32 Cloyster

134.png

Lv. 31 Vaporeon

Years
  • Seen Oct 1, 2016
Poison UMC Hoenn Leg in Sapphire

OK, so apparently I haven't updated in the past two months. I thought I did a couple days ago, but I guess not.

I left on hiatus for camp right after beating Norman and getting Surf. I turned my game on to find myself in Mauville City after having received Thunderbolt from Wattson and purchasing TM Ice Beam for Tetrid III.
I surfed over to whatever route is on the right of Mauville (I believe it is 117?) and proceeded up, defeating most of the trainers along the way. I beat Team Aqua at the Weather place, but Lolslave my Zigzagoon HM/Pickup slave took up my sixth space so I couldn't take the Castform.
I defeated May. No big deal.
Beat the ninjas around Fortree.
Received the Silph Scope, and killed several Keckleons.
Defeated Winona. Tetrid III's Ice Beam took out everything but two Pellipers, which I let Wadrus take for no real reason.
Flew to Dewford in order to get TM Sludge Bomb.
Biked downwards, killing another Keckleon or two.
Got TM Sunny Day
Saw Team Aqua go to Mt. Pyre. Ignored.
Stopped at Lilycove.
Got PokeBlock Case.
Got TM SolarBeam from inside the Safari Zone.
Got TM Giga Drain.
Completely redid Wadrus's moveset. Anyone know where TM Toxic is in Sapphire? Tetrid III also learned Giga Drain.
Defeated May again.
Flew to Slateport and witnessed the submarine being stolen.
Battery was running low, so I saved and turned off.

Spoiler:

Lunacrest

Years
Update #3: Fire-type UMC (FireRed)

-Decided to get the final member of my team first, so headed towards Celadon City.
-I went through Lavender Town from Rock Tunnel, and arrived at Celadon City via Underground Path.
-I got the Tea from the Old Lady, and shared it with the other guards.
-I traveled up the Old Lady's mansion, and got Eevee.
-I went to Celadon Department Store, and bought two Fire Stones.
-I used one of the Fire Stones on Eevee.
EeveeEvolved.png

-Went through Saffron City to get to Vermilion City.
-Grinded Flareon and Growlithe to Level 31, with Growlithe learning Flame Wheel in the process.
-I got to Vermilion City, and tried for a good 30 minutes to solve the puzzle.
-I finally got it after the umpteenth try, and then I went towards Lt. Surge.
-With a tag team between Flareon and Growlithe, I beat Lt. Surge. My battle with him can be viewed here.
-I got the Thunder Badge, and TM34 Shock Wave.
-I got the Bike Voucher, and headed towards Cerulean to get my bike. My team so far:

Spoiler:

Wow. I just realized I have the same team as Sacr3d Fire.

Update #4: Fire-type UMC (FireRed)

-I went to Celadon City, and decided to take on the Celadon Gym.
-I beat all the Trainers, including the ones I didn't have to face for experience.
-I reached Erika, and won against her handily. My battle with her can be viewed here.
-I earned the Rainbow Badge, and got the TM for Giga Drain. My team is the same as before, except Flareon is level 33, and Growlithe is Level 32.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back