• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2012
    I would like to RESTART this challenge!

I will be playing as Bug and will be starting in Fire Red!

Last edited:

Technician

Aerial Ace
    Years
  • UMC: Yellow (Ground Types)
    Update 7

• First things first: fight Sabrina. This battle was cake, as Druid was flat out faster than all of her Pokemon, including Alakazam. Body Slam and Earthquake won this one for me. Back to Pallet Town.
    • Surfed south to Cinnabar Island while grinding against some swimmers and fishermen.
    • Raided the Pokemon Mansion, found the secret key. Onwards to the gym!
    • I knew all the answers to the quiz questions but I fought the trainers anyways. I'm in pretty good shape to face Blaine now.
    • Ninetales confused Archer and then beat him with Flamethrower to start. Sent out Druid, and one Dig did the trick. Blaine sent out Rapidash, but Druid's Earthquake Critical'd it. Out came Arcanine. Switch to Nieds. Surf got it down to half HP, followed up with a Double-Edge that did next to nothing because of Reflect… Fire Blast Critical'd Nieds and almost fainted him, but I managed toehold on and Surf once more for the win.
    • Back to Viridian City to grind in the Gym. Nieds is my first level 50 Pokemon :)
    • Final Gym fight! Druid sunk Giovanni's Dugtrio and Persian with an Earthquake. Nieds drowned Nidoqueen with Surf. Archer beat Nidoking with Earthquake and then Bonemerang. Bonemerang eventually finished off Rhydon as well.
    • Onwards and upwards to the Pokemon League, but not without battling Gary one more time. Nieds sunk Sandslash with Surf. Druid hit Exeggcute with Earthquake, but not very effective. Exeggcute got a Solar Beam in before I finished it with Slash. Switched back to Nieds against Ninetales for a Surf. Thunderbolt beat Cloyster. Archer had trouble with Kadabra because of Reflect, but Earthquake downed him anyways. Bonemerang finished Jolteon. Game, set, match. Victory Road, here I come!

My Team:

Spr_1y_034.png

Nieds the Nidoking
    Level 51
    -Thunderbolt
    -Surf
    -Double-Edge
    -Double Kick

Spr_1y_051.png

Druid the Dugtrio
    Level 50
    -Slash
    -Body Slam
    -Dig
    -Earthquake

Spr_1y_105.png

Archer the Marowak
    Level 50
    -Bonemerang
    -Focus Energy
    -Thrash
    -Earthquake

qw13

Please do not read this text.
    Years
  • I currently stopped Platinum :D. I was going to play once sometime then other one but i am about to finish HeartGold. Anyway, this was HardGold which is harder version of HeartGold. So, i needed to level up and i did so. While battling Sabrina, my Pokemon were Lvl 60. Anyway, here is progress:
    -Trained Pokemon up to Level 55s before going to Saffron.
    -Battle trainers on road and Gym.
    -Sabrina was hard but i gave all my Pokemon the berry that weaken Psyhic type moves (I don't remember its name) otherwise they all was going down with one Psyhic.
    -Primeape,Machamp, and Heracross was stars. They used ThunderPunch(Sabrina has a Slowking in Hardgold),Payback, and Megahorn.
    -Went to Fushcia, while training on Cycling Road.
    -Trained my Pokemon with Gym trainers.
    -Janine made some trouble with Double Team of Venomoth and Weezing. But Machamp finished them with Mega Kick without even onetime missing. Why? Machamp's No Guard ability!
    -Poliwrath,Primeape and Machamp was stars. They used Ice Beam, ThunderPunch and Earthquake. (You can predict I had trouble with Crobat because of Ice Beam and ThunderPunch.)
    -Went to Celadon.
    -Trained wia Gym Trainers.
    -Erika was pretty easy. Even Poliwrath (a water type) killed two of her Pokemon.
    -Poliwrath,Hitmonlee and Heracross was stars. They used Ice Beam, Blaze Kick, and Megahorn.
    -Went to Power Plant to see Machine part was stolen.
    -Went to Cerulean, and defeated Rocket Grunt.
    -Took Machine Part and gave it to Manager of Power Plant.
    -Got Kanto Radio from Lavender.
    -Misty didn't made any trouble.
    -All of them was stars.
    -Woked up Snorlax.
    -Traveled through Diglett Cave.
    -Came to Route 2.
    -Got a visit to Viridian and Pallet Town first.
    -Went to Pewter.
    -Brock was so easy because of my advantage.
    -Surfed through Pallet and came to ruins of Cinnabar.
    -Healed my Pokemon, and spoke to Blue.
    -He sad i am not ready. So, i went to Seafoam Islands.
    -I am about to battle Blaine.
    I saved.

Here is my Pokemon:
    7180.png
    7196.png
    7204.png
    7217.png
    7222.png

That Bibarel's just a HM Slave.

Double Update!
    -Beat Blaine with Poliwrath and Machamp.
    -Then spoke to Blue at Cinnabar.
    -Then started battle with Blue.
    -It was easy. I won at first time. I was thinking i would try multiple times to beat him, but i only took one try :D
    -Flied to Pallet Town, because Prof. Oak called me and he sad he has something good for me.
    -Got the last HM, HM08 Rock Climb!
    -Taught it to my slave Bibarel.
    -In HardGold, Red's all Pokemon are Lvl 100 (!) so i need training. I think i will train in Mount Silver.
    I will post my last update when i beat Red. Wish me luck! :D

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2011
    Wow it's been a while. Went on a relaxing few weeks vacation so that was nice. Left my gameboy at home though :( so even though I started Johto with water types a while back, little progress has been made.
    -Started with Al the Totodile (because it will evolve in to a ferALigatr)
    -Just beat all the trainers going in to Violet City
    -Decided to just solo the gym with Al. Beat Falkner handily.
    -Caught a Wooper! Named him Glen (like Quagmire from Family Guy)
    -Went back and beat Sprout Tower so Glen could get some exp
    -Headed south of violet, beat a couple trainers there, then saved

Team so far:
    gbg158.gif

Al lvl 15
    Scratch
    Growl
    Rage
    Water Gun

gbg194.gif

Glen lvl 10
    Water Gun
    Tail Whip
    Mud Slap

Again sorry it's been so long. Being out of town is nice, but you can't always do what you want. If your wants are to play pokemon

qw13

Please do not read this text.
    Years
  • -Got to Mount Silver.
    -In HardGold, there are Lvl 70 wild Pokemon there. I used them to train my Pokemon to Lvl 85s.
    -I used all my Rare Candy to get them to Lvl 90s.
    -Then another training and they were at Lvl 93s.
    -Started battle with the Ultimate Trainer, Red!
    -Machamp got first move with Quick Claw and finished Pikachu with Earthquake.
    -Charizard used Air Slash but Machamp survived and finished Charizard with Rock Slide (I taught him with TM i got from Brock).
    -He sent out Snorlax while i drew back Machamp and sent out Hitmonlee.
    -Hitmonlee used Hi Jump Kick and critical! It was OHKO!
    -He sent out Blastoise and i sent out Primeape.
    -Primeape used ThunderPunch but of course it cannot surpass Blastoise's super defense.
    -He used Toxic to poison me.
    -Used Full Heal.
    -He used Protect but i didn't attack so it failed.
    -Used ThunderPunch and finished him.
    -He sent out Lapras and i sent out Heracross.
    -Heracross finished Lapras with Close Combat.
    -His last Pokemon, Venusaur was sent out.
    -I sent out Hitmonlee.
    -Hitmonlee used Blaze Kick.
    -Venusaur used Leech Seed.
    -Second Blaze Kick came and....
    -Venusaur fainted!
    -Hitmonlee grew to Lvl 100!
    -I beat the game!

-My team after rematch with Chuck:
    10307.png

-After i defeat Red:
    10326.png

I will continue to Platinum soon. But i want to train Wartortle and Torchic first. Later, i will make a Water Monotype too.
    Can i transfer Blastoise? In later points of game of course. And also can i transfer Blaziken when i do a fire monotype?

Last edited:

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2020
    I will continue to Platinum soon. But i want to train Wartortle and Torchic first. Later, i will make a Water Monotype too.
    Can i transfer Blastoise? In later points of game of course. And also can i transfer Blaziken when i do a fire monotype?

No, for every type except Dark, Steel, Dragon, Ice and Ghost you must catch all pokemon legally in-game

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • OK, now for my next update for my Normal UMC on White:
    - Went west, beat Cheren, talked to Alder.
    - Beat those kids he put against us, then beat the trainers in the area.
    - Went west, crossed the bridge, talked to Clay.
    - Took care of Team Plasma at the Cold Storage.
    - Went to the gym, beat the gym trainers, then went to Clay.
    - Over-leveled Pokemon rule. Clay fell at Watchog's hands with Return, Return, Dig.
    Team is now:
    Spoiler:

I'm gonna catch a Deerling to balance my team out so they don't get too overleveled by the time I reach Bouffalant and Rufflet.

coolfarhan11

Blissey's Manly!
    Years
  • Update #2 for Silver Psychic Monotype:

So I got Slowpoke to 15 by beating the trainers then grinding on other slowpoke. Scyther owned me the first time because I took a risk and didn't heal. But a use of the godly Super Potion, I claimed the Hive badge! got to Goldenrod, caught my Drowzee, gave it the Elemental PUnches except fire punch. Owned Whitney with Hypnosis/Confusion on Drowsee and watergun on Slowpoke. Killed Sudowoodo, owned Morty with Hypnosis Confusion. Drowzee eveoDid the burned tower and owned rival. I owned a lot today.

Team:

Slowpoke level 25
    -Shadow Ball(even though it's a physical attack in gen 1-3)
    -Curse
    -Confusion
    -Surf

Hypno level 26
    -ThunderPunch
    -Hypnosis
    -Confusion
    -Ice Punch

And lol at Deoxys121, you always seem to post at 11:14 :)

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • Alright, next update for White on my Normal UMC:
    - Went onto Route 6, caught a Deerling.
    - Got the Lucky Egg, gave it to Deerling, then trained Deerling against the trainers on Route 6 and in Chargestone Cave to match the rest of my team.
    - After getting through Chargestone Cave, I used the Move Relearner to teach Stoutland all of the elemental fang moves.
    - Went along the route to Celestial Tower, went through to the top of Celestial Tower, rang the bell.
    - Flew back to Mistralton City, healed, then went to the gym.
    - Beat all the gym trainers, then fought Skyla, who Stoutland soloed with a Crunch and a few Thunder Fangs.
    Team is now (I'm now using screenshots):
    Spoiler:

Technician

Aerial Ace
    Years
  • UMC: Yellow (Ground Types)
    Update 8

• Beat Lorelei. Nieds using Thunderbolt and Double Kick was key here.
    • Beat Bruno. I was doing fine until Druid fainted. Luckily Machamp KO'd himself with Submission, giving me the win.
    • Beat Agatha. Thank god Ghosts don't have Levitate in generation 1… that made this fight a lot easier.
    • Beat Lance. Took me about 4 tries, but I finally paralyzed his Dragonite and won.
    • Beat Gary! Way easier than Lance, but hey, I'll take it.

Boom, Pokemon Yellow complete! Onto Heart Gold :)

My Team:

Spr_1y_034.png

Nieds the Nidoking
    Level 60
    -Thunderbolt
    -Surf
    -Double-Edge
    -Double Kick

Spr_1y_051.png

Druid the Dugtrio
    Level 57
    -Slash
    -Body Slam
    -Dig
    -Earthquake

Spr_1y_105.png

Archer the Marowak
    Level 55
    -Bonemerang
    -Focus Energy
    -Thrash
    -Earthquake

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • OK, another update for my Normal UMC on White:
    - Went north to Twist Mountain, beat Cheren, got Surf.
    - Going through Twist Mountain, I skipped all the trainers so far so I can use them to train Bouffalant and Braviary later on.
    - Healed, then went to the gym.
    - Stoutland soloed Brycen rather easily.
    - My team is the same as the last update, but now Lv42 each.

Wya77

Average Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2011
    Update

Here's my first update:

- I chose Charmander as my starter
    - Lost to Gary, my rival -.-
    - I went to Pewter City and got Oak's Parcel
    - Brought it to him and got some Poke Balls
    - Caught Pidgey
    - I went to Vridian Forest and caught a Caterpie.
    - Got Caterpie to level 10 and evolved into a Butterfree before leaving the forest
    - Beat Brock with Ember
    - I caught a Spearow and boxed Pidgey
    - Went through Mt. Moon
    - Got to Cerulean City
    - Crossed Nugget Bridge
    - Got to Bill's house
    - Separated Bill and a Clefairy -.-
    - Skipped Misty
    - Went to Vermilion City
    - I boarded the S.S. Anne
    - Battled all of the trainers
    - I got the HM for Cut
    - Caught a Rattata Slave
    - Got the Old Rod and caught a Magikarp
    - Grinded Magikarp to a Gyarados
    - Beat Misty with Gyarados
    - Saved

Spoiler:

Tyranitar042

Tyranitar King
    Years
    • Age 34
    • US
    • Seen Feb 15, 2013
    Btw Wya when you update make sure to tell what type you are running i like to see everyones adventures luckily it was easy for me to see you were using Flying but keep up the pace.:)

Update:Ground UMC
    Name:Zion
    Game:Yellow

I thought this was funny Technician used the same types lol but almost completely different.. wow

I pretty much flew through the Gyms and never lost after Erika.
    I picked up a Rhyhorn in Fuscia and skipped alot of trainers on purpose for the training of Rhyhorn.

Going on to Gold Update Later.

Final attacks and pokes are.

Spoiler:

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • Now for another update for my Normal UMC on White:
    - Went to Dragonspiral Tower, took care of Team Plasma.
    - Went to Relic Castle, took care of Team Plasma there.
    - Went to Opelucid City, then went north to get a Rufflet and a Bouffalant, who replaced Watchog and Sawsbuck.
    - I went back to all the places I skipped and fought all the trainers to bring them to match my team and train all of my team.
    - Went to the Opelucid Gym, beat all the gym trainers.
    - Iris's Fraxure and Druddigon went down easily to Stoutland's Ice Fang, but Haxorus not so much. Haxorus took a few Ice Fangs and was restored with a few Hyper Potions, and Haxorus was eventually finished off with Bouffalant's Head Charge.
    Team is now:
    Spoiler:

Since nobody else posted after me, here's my next Normal UMC update for White:
    - Went to Nimbasa City to fight the trainers in the stadium and court.
    - Went on Route 10, beat Cheren, beat the other trainers.
    - Went through Victory Road, healed, then trained my team to Lv52.
    - Used my 6 Rare Candies to bring my team to Lv54, and Rufflet evolved.
    - Went through the Elite Four relatively easily due to the fact that they were all outranked.
    - Went up to N's Castle, healed, then went to N's throne room.
    - Saved time by catching Zekrom with the Master Ball, chose not to add Zekrom to my party because I kept my HM slaves on hand to maintain that option.
    - Bouffalant took out Reshiram through a series of Bulldozes and Rock Slides, then the rest of N's team dropped like flies.
    - Then I fought Ghetsis. He was rather easy until Hydreigon swept most of my team. Thank you, Max Revives. I beat him.
    Ghetsis.png

Team is now:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Tyranitar042

Tyranitar King
    Years
    • Age 34
    • US
    • Seen Feb 15, 2013
    Im continuing on my Ultimate Challenge and going for gold literally, Ive started gold and chose chikorita and used it to beat falkner until i could catch wooper and now ive grinded him enough to put in bayleef and train Sandshrew, thats right Oreo came with me to Johto and no im going through the forest with quagsire and sandshrew.

Ok huge update ive pulled an all nighter and well im at the E4 with Gligar, Sandslash, and Quagsire. did all the crap and took forever to find a gligar but it was sorta worth it because i have no counters to grass and now I do hehehehe. Heres some snapshots before E4 wwhich I will probably beat tommorow bc im tired and am going to bed goodnight....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:

Sacr3d Fire

Rock the house with fire
    Years
  • I'm in!

Username:Sacr3d Fire
    In-game name: Sacred
    Type:Fire
    Game: Fire Red
    ----------------------------------
    Update #1
    -Picked Charmender as my starter.
    -Defeated Green(My rival).
    -Make my way to the 1st gym and defeated Brock.

-Made my way trough Mt.Moon.
    -Defeated my rival Green again.
    -Went to Bill house.
    -The second gym was a pain, failed at my 1st try. 2nd try Misty's Starmie did'nt stand a chance against Charmeleon's Mega kick.

My team at the moment is:
    Charmeleon Lv 27.

Last edited:

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • OK, another update for my Normal UMC on White:
    - After beating Ghetsis, I talked to Looker, got the National Dex, all that stuff.
    - I immediately went to Relic Castle to get Earthquake for Bouffalant.
    - I fought the trainers between Opelucid City and Lacunosa Town.
    - I went to Challenger's Cave, fought the trainers inside, and got Stone Edge for Bouffalant.
    - Went around fighting every trainer I could, and got some treasure from the Abyssal Ruins, which I sold and became a millionaire from.
    - Fought the trainers at the Big Stadium and Small Court late last night, though before midnight.
    - Went and beat Cheren.
    - By this time, new trainers were available at the Big Stadium and Small Court since it was after midnight. I fought them.
    - I went and beat Morimoto.
    Team is now:
    Spoiler:

Now then, I just remembered a couple trainers I didn't fight. After that, I've got a little grinding to do. I think I'll beat Cynthia before going to the Elite Four to give myself more of a challenge.

coolfarhan11

Blissey's Manly!
    Years
  • Update #3 on Psychic Monotype for Silver

So i went to Olivine, beat the lighthouse easy with ThunderPunch,
    saw Amphy, went to Cianwood, went into the gym, beat trainers. Then realized I needed someone with strength. I go fish for Krabby, then realize I don't have any PokeBalls. Go back to Olivine, then saved the game and quit. WHen I played again, I didn't know why I was in olivine, so I went back to Cianwood. When I got there I realized I needed Pokeballs, so I went back AGAIN. Came back again, owned Chuck, got Fly, but didn't have anyone to use it (AAARGHHH!) so I had to SURF back to Olivine. 4 Useless trips. Now going to Mahogany.

Team:
    Hypno level 31
    -ThunderPunch
    -Hypnosis
    -Confusion
    -Ice Punch

Slowpoke level 31
    -Shadow Ball
    -Surf
    -Confusion
    -Curse

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • (Hey, my 500th post!)
    Final update on my Normal UMC for White:
    - Did some grinding to bring my team to Lv75 each.
    - Face and beat Cynthia... barely.
    Cynthia.png

- Trained my team to Lv76 so the experience from Cynthia wouldn't go to waste.
    - Used the 9 Rare Candies I had in my bag to bring my team to Lv79 each.
    - Went to the Pokemon League, and deposited my HM slaves, then proceeded to challenge them.
    - Every member was somewhat tough, but I won relatively easily against all of them. Marshal was the easiest, because Braviary used Brave Bird to take down 5 of his 6 members, then Bouffalant took care of Toxicroak.
    - Then, I went to Alder. My battle with Alder can be viewed here.
    My final team:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Tyranitar042

Tyranitar King
    Years
    • Age 34
    • US
    • Seen Feb 15, 2013
    I dont know what it is but I like seeing your adventures Deoxys they're.......fun. Anyways for my update ive been playing practically all day and I've made soooo much progress I was amazed I went from one gym to the other in Kanto without too much to worry about except misty...meh god she was hard.

Ultimate Ground Challenge
    Game: Gold
    Name: Zion

I beat the E4 barely and to be honest I have no clue how I think I got lucky with Oreo's Rollout, and Lance's pokemon all having a weakness to it.

I also beat Red with a heck of alot of Revives and Full Restore. I caught the Snorlax not for anything but its Leftovers and I'm glad I did when I beat Red his Charizard almost took out my Quagsire and without the Leftovers i was dead.

The first 4 pics are when i beat red and the Last was from the E4.

I'm going to start Emerald now and it is going to be fun. Expected team, Swampert, Flygon, and Claydol. it's going to be the funnest one I've done yet.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back