• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

psyciceman

Friendly Neighbourhood Psycho
Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2013
    I'm going to start a Water type (even though it seems to be over used) UMC but with one additional rule, I can only use types introduced in that generation. Instead of typing updates I'll make this into an LP and post the videos here, I'll probably start tonight sometime.

VelocityQ

Back from the dead!
    Years
  • Alight. Looks like I'm gonna be doing an Electric Mono Type challenge for FR/LG. Why I'm doing electric? 1 word. CHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus, wait, I can just look for a Pikachu at Viridian Forest that will take a while. But, can I make it so that I actually start out with electric types? Wait, why did I post that? Oh well. Ignore the one about starting out with electrics

Anyways.......

UPDATE 1
    Some weird creepy dude talks to me.
    Says his name is "Oak" In all capitals. I'm above capitalization.
    Shows me a small bunny thing.
    I already know all of this crap. Let me skip!
    He asks me if I'm a boy or a girl. Shut up, Red! I know what happened!
    Since this is electric mono, I call myself Chu. Velo is reserved for water and flying monos.
    He tells me I know this one guy since I was a baby. I don't recognize him.
    I decide to call him Beat. He has no connection to Beat from TWEWY.
    I end up in a room. My room apparently. A NES. AWESOME! I go to my comp.
    A Potion!
    I leave the house. Go next door, talk to Daisy.
    I go to the laboratory. Beat's miffed it's only me.
    I decide to get some groceries. Oak stops me.
    I follow him to his lab. Beat and I get to choose starter Pokes.
    I look. Pikachu? No. Bulbasaur.
    Pikachu? Nope. Squirtle.
    PIKACHU?! Nada. Charmander.
    I choose the green dino.
    I apologize to him for not using him after I get an electric type. I nickname him Sorry.
    "Let's go find a Pikachu!" I say. Not even close.
    CHU VS. BEAT
    I kick his little blue--
    God: GET ON WITH IT!
    Me: Ok ok.....
    I go to Viridian City. Some old man is laying on the ground. I go to the Mart.
    This clerk tells me to deliver a package to Oakster.
    I do that. And get some Pokeama Balls. I have to sit through the old dude's explanation on how to catch Pokeymans. I sit through, and get a TV!
    Yes! I turn it on the chance I get to. All crappy shows. Crap.
    I go to Viridian Forest.
    *Like, 2 minutes later*
    PIKACHU!!!!!!! I wanted to nickname it Chu, but it was female. So I name it something simple, and a little nice. Pika.
    I go to train it. First wild Pokemon I encounter on Route 1 with Pikachu?
    Pidgey. Yes. Knocks it out. Next Pokemon
    Pika VS. Ratatta.
    Oh noes! Pika's weak! Thank you, evolution!
    Potion used. the little (purple) rat's down. Thyme to heal.

NEXT UPDATE COMING SOON

Sorry for the posts everyone. It's not like some of you guys care. So, sorry mods. Anyway, I'm thinking of making sorta a video walkthrough mono challenge of the wind! I'm gonna be doing LG for this one. So..... double mono challenge! Yayz!

Last edited:

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
  • I finished my kanto run of water UMC

After grinding i tackle the E4

Lorelei was beaten mostly by Hypnotoads Brick Break
    Brunos Onix was surfed and his fighters were taken down by sophie and ness
    Agathas Ghost were fainted with bubbles bite and her golbat with Levis thunder
    Lance - Ice Beam nuff said His gyarados also beatne with thunder
    Rival Fairly easy fight,
    Pidgeot vs Levi -under takes it down
    Rhydon was surfed
    Alakazam was bitten to death
    Venusaur was 2HKO by Blobbo ice beam
    Arcanine surf
    Gyarados Thunder

Team Celine
    Sophie - Lv 56
    emesprani009.gif
    Skull Bash, Surf, Hyrdo Cannon, Earthquake
    The trusted starter, while not an attacking pokemon she still did alot of damage in the E4

Levi - Lv 56
    emesprani130.gif
    Surf, Thrash, Thunder, Dragon Dance
    Dragon Dance inproved him alot more and togethor with thrash he pretty much anything he touched. Also thunder beat other gyarados

Bubbles - Lv 56
    emesprani134.gif
    Surf, Bite, Acid Armor, Aurora Beam
    Bite was the psychic killer and he took hits quite well with his massive hp.

Hypnotaod - Lv 56
    emesprani062.gif
    Brick Break, Hynosis, Belly Drum, Surf
    My comob with him was a hynosis then bully drum and proceed to sweep with brick break. Didnt use this combo much but when used it was mind blowing

Blobbo - Lv 56
    emesprani073.gif
    Surf, Barrier, Ice Beam, Supersonic
    Tentacruel is my new love. Never used one before but i now love him. His sp defence is huge and with some decent attacking stats he seemed to me like he couldnt be stopped.

Ness - Lv 56
    emesprani131.gif
    Ice Beam, Surf, Perish Song, Psychic
    With ice, water and psychic attacks he could attack every type for at least nuetral damage. Another high hp pokemon he was extremely stonger than i thought he would be.

Well now I am deciding if i should continue my bug UMC in hoenn or water UMc in johto. Thinking off continuing my water one on heart gold.

VelocityQ

Back from the dead!
    Years
  • "No, YOU shut up, Colon!"
    "Someone better come up with a great idea or else I will shoot you....."
    O Hai.
    Here's the updates.

Pokemon LG Wind Mono Challenge UPDATE 1
    Starts out like elec. mono challenge. Names: Me: Velo Rival: Neku
    I choose Doduo. Nicknamed it Mark.
    Fight with rival. Train a little. Saved

Pokemon Emerald Fighting Mono Challenge UPDATE 1
    I name myself Heirs.
    Oh noes! Prof. Birch! I pick out Heracross.
    Saved Prof. Birch. Nicknamed Heracross, Crossheirs.

That's it
    *= You should know the intro of Emerald

ParanoidMocha

Paranoid since '98
    Years
  • "No, YOU shut up, Colon!"
    "Someone better come up with a great idea or else I will shoot you....."
    O Hai.
    Here's the updates.

Pokemon LG Wind Mono Challenge UPDATE 1
    Starts out like elec. mono challenge. Names: Me: Velo Rival: Neku
    I choose Doduo. Nicknamed it Mark.
    Fight with rival. Train a little. Saved

Pokemon Emerald Fighting Mono Challenge UPDATE 1
    I name myself Heirs.
    Oh noes! Prof. Birch! I pick out Heracross.
    Saved Prof. Birch. Nicknamed Heracross, Crossheirs.

That's it
    *= You should know the intro of Emerald

Well,I guess you shouldn't hack for those types.Specially because you can get one of tose types before the first gym.

I guess you could sign me up for Psychic Type on White

VelocityQ

Back from the dead!
    Years
  • One last log before the night ends.

Defeated Roxanne using Olives
    Got PokeNav
    Met Steven Stone
    Caught Makuhita (Or however you spell it) Nicknamed Maku Maku.

Pokemon:
    emesprani214.gif

Crossheirs
    Level 14
    Tackle Leer Horn Attack Endure

emesprani285.gif

Olives
    Level 12 (14?)
    Absorb Tackle Stun Spore Leech Seed

emesprani296.gif

Maku Maku
    Level 9
    Tackle Focus Energy Sand-Attack

Technician

Aerial Ace
    Years
  • UMC: Heart Gold (Ground Types)
    Update 5

• Alright well, I found a Moon Stone so I evolved Nieds and dropped Steam from my party.
    • Flew back to Olivine City to take on Jasmine. Zippy had no problem with this fight with Mud Bomb and Water Gun.
    • Flew over to Mahogany Town, then grinded up to Lake of Rage. Defeated the Red Gyarados.
    • Flew back to Mahogany, healed, then met Lance in the Rocket base.
    • Trekked around, beat some Rockets, beat Petrel. Beat Arianna.
    • Defeated the Electrodes :( poor Electrodes.
    • Headed to the Gym. Beat the trainers. Pryce was fairly easy - Zippy took care of most of the work, Nieds finished up with Double Kick.
    • Went allll the way back to Goldenrod and worked my way up the Radio Tower. Beat Petrel to get the Basement Key. Went down to the underground and fought my rival. Got the Card Key from the Director.
    • Went BACK to the Radio Tower, up to the 3rd floor, and beat Proton. Continued up and beat Ariana.
    • Got to Archer at the top of the Tower and defeated him.
    • Back to Mahogany, and started making my way to Blackthorn City.
    • Caught a Swinub (Hoover) in Ice Path! My team is almost complete.
    • Made it to Blackthorn.

Spoiler:

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • Well, this took long enough....
    I'm back and I finally started the Gen III part of my UMC Normal. I'm using Ruby (I assume you can understand why)
    Update 1
    -Saved Prof. Birch and picked a Treeko (best HM slave of the 3)
    -Fought May with it
    -Caught a Zigzagoon and did some grinding
    -Moved on to Route 104 (pre-forest, nothing relevant to the challenge happens in-between Route 101-104) and caught Gutsy the Swellow (wanted to call it Ballsy, but it was a female so... yeah)
    -Caught a Slakoth in Petalburg forest and called it Lazy Bum
    -Arrived in Rustboro city, nothing more past there.

This first gym is gonna be a total pain in the @$$.

pknight96

Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organism
    Years
  • I'm going to do this on an emulator. Going with my fav type, STEEL. I'm going to get an Aron to start, because I'm doing this on a Firered emulator, and yes, I can trade with myself. Looking for my team to be Scizor, Steelix, Magneton, Aggron, Skarmory, and Metagross in the end of the challenge. LOL this seems very difficult.

Tyranitar042

Tyranitar King
    Years
    • Age 34
    • US
    • Seen Feb 15, 2013
    I havent posted in a while. I've just got a new job and been pretty busy, fortunately I have played some but not much.

Ground UMC

Ive beat May and Watson, but I cant get another pokemon until I beat Flannery bc Sakacrap and Buzzkill is in the desert which is off limits until I get the googles. I'm about to go to the volcano and beat magma @ aqua. Then I'll add Sakacrap and Buzzkill with Ajax/Marshtomp.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2016
    I think a common pattern is Double Team spam with Swellow and then beat the crap out of her Pokemon. If the X Attack near the city is available (not sure if it requires Cut) then it should be helpful.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • Anyone got any tips for fighting Roxanne with Normal types?
    Actually, I used Zigzagoon and Sand=Attack spam + Headbutt, along with Super Potions and stuff. Taillow is way too weak thanks to Rock Throw/Tomb being super effective. The X Attack requires Cut, unfortunately.

VelocityQ

Back from the dead!
    Years
  • I guess I'll try a Dragon only run too. Lol I'm doing soooo many challenges

Here's the userbar I'll use for dragon:
    rsedragon.png

Don't know why I showed this one

Dragon Mono Run Update
    Decide to name myself Kaiser for this one
    I set my clock. Sweet! A Potion on the PC! The wonders you can do with it.....
    I do the rest of the beginning crap up to where I can choose a starter.
    I pick Horsea.
    I easily own the Poochyena.
    I get the Horsea. Name it Draco.
    Need to do some editing. Seadra evolves by trading. Trading isn't necessarily needed, except for evolving Seadra. I'll set it so it evolves into Kingdra at level.....38

VelocityQ

Back from the dead!
    Years
  • Dragon Mono Run Update
    Decide to name myself Kaiser for this one
    I set my clock. Sweet! A Potion on the PC! The wonders you can do with it.....
    I do the rest of the beginning crap up to where I can choose a starter.
    I pick Horsea.
    I easily own the Poochyena.
    I get the Horsea. Name it Draco.
    Need to do some editing. Seadra evolves by trading. Trading isn't necessarily needed, except for evolving Seadra. I'll set it so it evolves into Kingdra at level.....38

UPDATE TIME!
    Done editing.
    Back to the game.
    Birch! May is waiting to battle! Grab the....the guy! the guy! who you gave the Pokemon to.
    It's grinding time. Thanks to friggen May. And her friggen Treecko too.
    I think I might do well. I'l just spam smokescreen

Last edited:
    Years
  • well, i think i've put this one off for long enough. finally another update for my umc dragon.. dont remember where i was on my last update, so im just winging it. i might be repeating myself, so bear with me here. i couldnt post this in the morning, so here it is.

I grinded for a while getting fluffball to evolve into an altaria. I gave her the EXP share and continued to the next town. i quickly defeated team Galactic with nibbles. i flew down to oreburgh, caught a psyduck for surf, then made it to canalave city. I went to iron cave and trained nibbles to level 50, evolving him to a grachomp. then i challenged the gym leader, Byron, and defeated him without any trouble.

Went through the cut scene, and then i flew to lake valor and confronted team galactic once again.. Beat whats-his-face, flew to lake verity and beat the chick. Garchomp single-handedly took them both out. i made a quick stop at fuego ironworks and found flamethrower for fuffball. Then i flew to celestic town and entered the mountain.. I made it to snowpoint city and started to fight the gyms trainers, but fluffballs flamethrower seemed a little bit to weak, so i went to the outskirt of the town and began grinding to level 54 and challenged candice. Fluffball basically took out her whole team, except Nibbles went up against her froslass and killed it with crunch in one shot.

I used rock climb and see my rival crying. the galactic member leaves and i back track to get ice beam. I fly to veilstone and infiltrate galactics base. i run through it, grab the key, and enter the main building. i listen to the garbage speech, and i find him in his dark room.. and fight him. And i beat him quite easily. i continued through the base and save the trio. I travel to mt. cornet and mess up all of team galactic. i beat the two galactic ladies easily, and enter the distortion world. I made my way and fought cyrus. i had some trouble, but he ended up losing still. I thought about catching giratini, but i said screw it and killed it with one hit. And i end it at sunnyshore

My Current Team..

Nibbles/Garchomp

Level 58

-Earthquake
    -Dragon Claw
    -Dragon Rush
    -Crunch

Fluffball/Altaria

Level 57

-Dragon Pulse
    -Flamethrower
    -Dragon Dance
    -Ice Beam

psyciceman

Friendly Neighbourhood Psycho
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2013
    First part of my Water UMC is up.

(/watch?v=4xfTQROdjcA if the video won't load for you)
    Just the basic starting stuff finishing at the start of Viridian Forest with Squirtle at level 8

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2011
    Is it cool if I join in now?
    If so then put my name down for the Fire Monotype Challenge please.
    Hopefully I'll have an update soon...

Oh I forgot, I'll be playing on Fire Red if that's fine.

Last edited:

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • UMC: Normal-Ruby Update 2

I finally beat the Rock type gym leader, Roxanne. It took grinding Zigzagoon up to level 17, and then it ran out of Headbutts on the nosepass, so I litterally struggled my way to victory. Thank God for Sand-Attack as well. And now that that nightmare is over, it's time to move on.

-Went on to recover the Devon Goods and rescue Peeko. Anyone know of a fix to the foggy glitch on a No$ emulator?)
    -Attempted to return the Devon Goods, but instead got asked to deliver them.
    -Went to Dewford
    -Got HM 05 Flash

Tomandgreen

The Original Copy-Cat
    Years
  • Flying UMC Update #4 Misty, Ganon, and Lt. Surge

MISTY After some Nugget Bridge grinding, I ended up on Bill's lawn. Beating trainer after trainer, I found myself in Bill's own house. Long story short, I got a ticket to a Cruise Ship. I continued training all the way to Vermillion, then back tracked to Misty. She was easy to beat, as all 3 of my pokemon were Lvl. 22.

GANON Back in Vermillion, I got on the boat, snatched some goodies in the kitchen and lower levels, then I went up to the Captain to talk ask for a pamphlet. Apparently my "COOL" rival had the same idea. And so begins:

Link Vs. Ganon 4
    Pidgeotto fell in one mega kick from Sheik.
    Wartortle beat Sheik, but Goron finished it off with a bite.
    Kadabra fell to Goron's mighty bite as well.
    And Raticate? Well, he was nothing compared to Navi's awesome power. Easy battle.
    I find the Captain hurling in a trash can, and I take his Cut and run.

Lt. Surge In the grass above Vermillion I caught Meowzie, the HM slave. No LoZ name since it's a lowly slave. I taught it Cut and proceeded to pwn The Thunder Gym. How? One word, DIG. Sheik 1HKO'd every pokemon in there.

I got Flash, taught it to Meowzie, and ran through the rock-tunnel. My team is:

Goron the Golbat, Lvl. 28
    Sheik the Charmeleon, Lvl. 28
    Navi the Pidgeotto, Lvl. 28
    Meowzie the HM slave, Cut, Flash, hopefully Strength once I get it.

Erika will be a breeze, and thusly, the next update should contain two gyms again, and be similarly brief. Who cares, really?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back