• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
  • OK, first update on White for my Normal UMC:
    - Chose Oshawott, beat Bianca and Cheren, did all the boring intro stuff.
    - Caught a Patrat and a Lillipup, went to Accumula Town and boxed Oshawott for future HM use.
    - Trained Patrat and Lillipup to Lv7, then beat N.
    - Proceeded on Route 2, fighting trainers, beat Bianca.
    - Healed, then beat Cheren, beat the trainers at the Dream Yard, got Pansear, boxed him.
    - Went to the gym. Took care of the gym trainers, then beat Cilan with minimal difficulty.
    Team is now:
    Spoiler:

As with my other games, I will have a 3-member team to which I will make cuts once better Pokemon become available.

k137an

Smile... or go to jail
    Years
  • i would like to try an ultimate challenge after i quit fire and water in platinum and emerald. I'm gonna use flying types.
    games: leaf green, soul silver, emerald, platinum and black.

starting now :)

qw13

Please do not read this text.
    Years
  • Here is progress on Crystal:
    -Entered Rocket Hideout, beating all Rockets i found there.
    -Started battle with Pryce.
    -Poliwrath and Primeape finished job with Submission-Karate Chop.
    -I won #7 Glacier Badge!
    -Flew to Goldenrod, and beaten all trainers in Radio Tower.
    -Executive was hard, all Koffings survived with about 1 HP, then selfdesctructed, fainting Poliwrath, Machoke, Heracross.
    -One of Weezings fainted Primeape, but Hitmonlee's Strength finished Weezings.
    -I went to underground and saved Director.
    -Got Card Key.
    -Opened door in Radio Tower.
    -Maked Team Rocket close itself again by defeating New Rocket Boss.

I am currently here.
    Here is team:
    HITMONLEE LVL 34
    HERACROSS LVL 34
    POLIWRATH LVL 35
    PRIMEAPE LVL 34
    MACHOKE LVL 35

I will upload their status screen pictures soon.

Technician

Aerial Ace
    Years
  • UMC: Yellow (Ground Types)
    Update 5… a really big update

• Made it through Rock Tunnel… forgot how annoying that was. I'm dropping Santo from my party so I can go pick up a Cubone from Pokemon Tower.
    • And speaking of Pokemon Tower… rival battle time! Nieds Thunderbolted Fearow and Shellder, Double Kicked Sandshrew and Eevee, and Druid finished Vulpix with Dig. Very easy fight. Can't catch anything right now though… lame.
    • Grinded my way to Celadon City. Taught Mega Punch to Nieds.
    • My first fight with Erika went not so well… Tangela Paralyzed both my Pokes and Weepinbell took care of the rest.
    • My second attempt went much better. Nieds took care of Tangela, Druid took care of Weepinbell and Gloom.
    • Rocket Hideout was cake. Beat up on the grunts, Jesse and James, and Giovanni. Got the Sliph Scope.
    • Back to Lavender Town - identified the ghost, beat Jesse and James again, caught a Cubone (named him Archer).
    • Back to Celadon - grinded levels along Cycling Road, evolved Archer into Marowak.
    • Got to Fuchsia City - headed to the Safari Zone. I wanted to get a Rhyhorn but they kept running away ;_; I still got Surf though. And the Gold Teeth, so I got Strength too.
    • Beat the trainers in the Gym, but I'm not ready to face Koga yet so I went out the other side of Fuchsia for some more trainers.
    • Next update will hopefully be my battle against Koga.

My Team:

Spr_1y_034.png

Nieds the Nidoking
    Level 42
    -Thunderbolt
    -Surf
    -Double-Edge
    -Double Kick

Spr_1y_051.png

Druid the Dugtrio
    Level 41
    -Slash
    -Body Slam
    -Dig
    -Sand Attack

Spr_1y_105.png

Archer the Marowak
    Level 42
    -Bone Club
    -Focus Energy
    -Thrash
    -Head Butt

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2014
    UMC - Water
    Kanto/Pokemon Yellow - Update 1

After a good two years of lurking I have finally decided to take up this challenge! I debated which type to use for a while, but Water has always been my favorite and I love the variety. I'll try to update every 2 Gyms or so, though it will be a while before I am done.

Also, sorry if this is against the rules, but I hacked an unevolved Water Pokemon for each city I arrived at (caught in the grass, so at the appropriate level). This is because I want the challenge to be dynamic and fun. I think evenly dispersed Pokemon create a better experience than catching them all mid-late game with the super rod at the same level.

• Started a game as Yellow and hacked in a Staryu as my starter.
    • Beat my rival, Blue and did the opening game stuff.
    • Fought through Viridian Forest, got to Pewter City and caught a Goldeen.
    • Easily beat Brock with his quadruple weakness.
    • Went through Mt. Moon, picking up a Helix Fossil for Omanyte and training on Geodudes.
    • Arrived at Cerulean and caught a Shellder.
    • Beat Rival again and spent a long time training past Nugget Bridge.
    • Helped Bill and then challenged Cerulean Gym. Shellder's Clamp is excellent in Gen 1 so it was fairly easy. Shellder took out Misty's Staryu and my own Staryu easily tanked Starmie.
    I will be recording all my Gym Battles :).

Brock

Misty

• Currently residing in Vermilion City waiting to board the S.S. Anne. Not sure if I want to pick up Squirtle or not. I won't be using any of the other game's starters as I've used the Water starters so much.
    Current Team:

120.png

Lv. 25 Stari

118.png

Lv. 25 Poissirene

90.png

Lv. 25 Kokiyas

I am playing on French roms, which explains the names. As I am studying French in school I figured it'd be a good way to practice. Until next time!

Simmy93

Aspiring Emulator
    Years
  • UPDATE:

PrinplupSprite.jpg

Name: Prinplup
    Lvl: 24
    Type: Water

422.png

Name: Shellos
    Lvl: 21
    418.png

Name: Buizel
    Lvl: 20

Gyarados%28P%29Sprite.png

Name: Gyarados
    Lvl: 23

054.png

Name: Psyduck
    Lvl: 20

FINALLY Downed Gardenia after 12 attempts thanks to Gyarados' Dragon Rage he got at 23. That thing is overpowered at 23.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
  • I'm starting my Unova run of Bug Types again soon (Still only at Pinwheel forest). (And to clarify, I will have an Escavlier as soon as Karrablast is available. Alla gave permission to pokesav change evolve it [It's the same as evolving regularly, once I change it, it will have it's stats it had as a Karrablast, and once it levels, it's stats will auto-adjust to be it's evolved stats] It's essentially evolving on an emulator.

However, after that's done, I want to do a Ghost Ultimate.

However, as I'm using emulators, how would I go about this? Anyone know the earliest you can get a ghost type in the games? It says we can trade, but... well, can't trade on an emulator (well, the earlier gens can, but that would require another complete game to do so).

Technician

Aerial Ace
    Years
  • I'm starting my Unova run of Bug Types again soon (Still only at Pinwheel forest). (And to clarify, I will have an Escavlier as soon as Karrablast is available. Alla gave permission to pokesav change evolve it [It's the same as evolving regularly, once I change it, it will have it's stats it had as a Karrablast, and once it levels, it's stats will auto-adjust to be it's evolved stats] It's essentially evolving on an emulator.

However, after that's done, I want to do a Ghost Ultimate.

However, as I'm using emulators, how would I go about this? Anyone know the earliest you can get a ghost type in the games? It says we can trade, but... well, can't trade on an emulator (well, the earlier gens can, but that would require another complete game to do so).

Ghosts would probably be tough to do, particularly in RBY, unless you choose to go the Agatha route (if that's allowed) and get Ekans or Zubat. Otherwise Gastly isn't available until Lavender Town.

GSC would be good, you get Gastly right off the bat in Violet City.

RSE, you can get Sableye relatively early, and according to the rules, you can get Nincada if your intention is to evolve it into Shedinja.

DPPt, you can get Drifloon and Rotom kinda early... dunno what you would use up to those points though.

BW, I know you can get Yamask in the Desert Resort, but that's a few badges in as well.

UMC: Yellow (Ground Types)
    Update 6

• Grinded Druid up to Level 45, then went to fight Koga.
    • Archer took care of the first two Venonats, then fell to the third. Nieds finished that off before going down to Venomoth's Psychic, but I'd got its health down low enough that a Dig from Druid was enough to win me the battle.
    • Made it to Saffron City! Heading over to the Dojo for some hardcore training (literally).
    • Beat the Dojo Master, took Hitmonlee, but I won't be using it.
    • Over to Silph! I raided the building, taking out as many Rockets as I could find. Eventually though I just got bored and went to the 3rd floor to face off against Gary. I outleveled him by about 5-10 levels, so this was easy.
    • Got to Giovanni (dispatched Jesse and James for the last time) and opened up with Nieds. I Surfed over Nidorino, Archer EQ'd Persian and Rhyhorn, and Druid finished Nidoqueen with Dig. Honestly, I could have won this Nieds if I wanted to, but I felt like spreading the experience around. Can't hurt, right?
    • Getting ready to take on the Gym.

My Team:

Spr_1y_034.png

Nieds the Nidoking
    Level 46
    -Thunderbolt
    -Surf
    -Double-Edge
    -Double Kick

Spr_1y_051.png

Druid the Dugtrio
    Level 46
    -Slash
    -Body Slam
    -Dig
    -Sand Attack

Spr_1y_105.png

Archer the Marowak
    Level 45
    -Bone Club
    -Focus Energy
    -Thrash
    -Earthquake

Last edited:

qw13

Years
  • Crystal Progress:
    Did all story stuff and beat Clair. About to go to Dragon's Den.(Yeah, a short explain XD)
    Here is my Team Status Screen as i sad:
    6879.png

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • Now for another update on my Normal UMC on White:
    - Talked to Fennel, taught Cut to Oshawott, did the Dreamyard quest to get the Dream Mist for Fennel, got the C-Gear.
    - Went on Route 3, fighting trainers, beat Cheren, got the Pokemon back for the girl.
    - Continued on to Nacrene City, fighting trainers.
    - Beat N, then went to the exterior of Pinwheel Forest to fight those trainers and grind my team to Lv20.
    - Went to the gym, did all the puzzles, then went to Lenora.
    - Watchog took down Lenora's Herdier with Confuse Ray, Hypnosis, and Crunch. Watchog was defeated by Lenora's Watchog after inflicting a little damage, then Herdier finished Watchog with a Work Up/Take Down combo.
    Team is now:
    Spoiler:

Bouffalant and Braviary are rather far away right now...

coolfarhan11

Blissey's Manly!
    Years
  • Entry #5 for Pokemon Blue Grass Monotype

Did stuff until beating Koga. Not much I did, trained Exeggute on route 12- 15.

Team So far:

Venasaur LVL 46
    -Razor Leaf
    -Growth
    -Leech Seed
    -Tackle

Victreebel LVL 47
    -Razor Leaf
    -Wrap (the cheapest move in RBY)
    -Growth
    -Acid

Parasect LVL 47
    -Slash
    -Stun Spore
    -Spore
    -Dig

Exeggute LVL 39
    -Barrage
    -Hypnosis
    -Leech Seed
    -Psychic

P.S. Dropping Tangela.

Entry #5 for Pokemon Blue Grass Monotype

Did stuff until beating Koga. Not much I did, trained Exeggute on route 12- 15.

Team So far:

Venasaur LVL 46
    -Razor Leaf
    -Growth
    -Leech Seed
    -Tackle

Victreebel LVL 47
    -Razor Leaf
    -Wrap
    -Growth
    -Acid

Parasect LVL 47
    -Slash
    -Stun Spore
    -Spore
    -Dig

Exeggute LVL 39
    -Barrage
    -Hypnosis
    -Leech Seed
    -Psychic

P.S. Dropping Tangela.

Last edited:

qw13

Years
  • -I did everything until Pokemon League.
    -I was thinking about my levels, since they were so low. And i planned continuosly battle Will to gain EXP.
    -Started battle with Will!
    -To my surprise, Will was so easy.
    -Again to my surprise, Koga was too easy too.
    -And again and again to my surprise, Bruno was even more easy.
    -You can predict what will i say :D
    -I was even thinking i couldn't get past Will, i got to Champion in about 20 minutes!
    -Gyarados goed down to Primeape's ThunderPunch.
    -Charizard was taken out by Poliwrath's Surf.
    -Aerodactyl was hardest, but to my chance, Machoke survived Wing Attack and finished Aerodactyl with Revenge.(Though Aerodactyl taked out Poliwrath and Primeape.
    -Of course Dragonite came and since Machoke had 1 HP, i used him as shield and Max Revived Poliwrath.
    -Then switched to my Waterfall slave Tentacool and Max Revived Primeape.
    -Primeape survived Hyper Beam and hitted Dragonite with ThunderPunch three times but Twister finished her.
    -Poliwrath's Icy Wind (I taught him with TM i got from Pryce because i knew i was going to need it.) finished weakened Dragonite.
    -Other Dragonite fell asleep with Poliwrath's Hypnosis.
    -Two Icy Winds (One of them were critical) finished sleeping Dragonite.
    -Switched out to Hitmonlee, because Icy Wind was ran out of PP.
    -Used Hi Jump Kick because i forgot Dragonite is a Flying Type XD
    -Dragonite's Twister didn't kill Hitmonlee though.
    -Strength was used but Hitmonlee fainted with second Twister.
    -Heracross was sent out and i used a Max Elixir on Poliwrath but Hyper Beam finished Heracross.
    -Poliwrath (my last Pokemon XD) was sent out.
    -Poliwrath hit Dragonite with a critical Icy Wind and Dragonite fainted!
    -I am new Champion!
    -I was recorded to Hall of Fame.
    -Then game crashed :(
    -Sorry but i need to finish game here.

I will upload Hall of Fame pictures soon. I screenshotted them but not uploaded yet. I am working on it. Please count me as i completed game. If you do not believe, i can give my ROM and save file.

UPDATE:
    Here is Hall of Fame pictures:

http://a1108.hizliresim.com/11/8/9/1102.pngHERACROSS

http://b1108.hizliresim.com/11/8/9/1116.pngMACHOKE

http://b1108.hizliresim.com/11/8/9/1129.pngPOLIWRATH

http://a1108.hizliresim.com/11/8/9/1141.pngPRIMEAPE

http://a1108.hizliresim.com/11/8/9/1152.pngHITMONLEE

http://b1108.hizliresim.com/11/8/9/1164.png HALLOFFAME

http://a1108.hizliresim.com/11/8/9/1185.pngHALLOFFAME2

Last edited:

qw13

Years
  • YEAAAH! I AM VERY HAPPY!
    I used PokeSav to import my Pokemons into Heartgold. I wa in Vermillion City and was newly beated Champion! I will continue my Fight Monotype!

I trained my Pokemon and beat Lt Surge. I will post a bigger update when I beat Sabrina.

Last edited:

DVK

Hack based-God
    Years
  • well i have finished my poison monotype on fire red :) here are hall of fame screenshots :D

2i5kea.png

and my Final team:

(Notice i did a final fantasy 8 theme, with all nicknames being guardian forces ingame)

venusaur.png

Doomtrain the Modest Venesaur ♂ Lv.73
    Ability:Over Grow
    Leech Seed
    Giga Drain
    Sunny Day
    Solarbeam

nidoking.png

Eden the Gentle Nidoking ♂ Lv.70
    Ability:Poison Point
    Earthquake
    Shockwave
    Megahorn
    Flamethrower

gengar.png

Diablos the Naughty Gengar ♀ Lv. 71
    Ability:Levitate
    Shadow Ball
    Psychic
    Ice Punch
    Thunderbolt

crobat.png

Phoenix the Timid Crobat ♂ Lv74
    Ability:Inner Focus
    Fly
    Return
    Confuse Ray
    Poison Fang

beedrill.png

Alexander the Brave Beedrill ♂ Lv.70
    Ability:Swarm
    Signal Beam
    Brick Break
    Aerial Ace
    Toxic

tentacruel.png

Shiva the Calm Tentacruel ♀ Lv. 72
    Ability:Clear Body
    Sludge Bomb
    Ice Beam
    Surf
    Barrier

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • Alright, another update for my Normal UMC on White:
    - Beat Team Plasma in Pinwheel Forest.
    - Crossed the Skyarrow Bridge.
    - Fought the dancers around Castelia City.
    - Fought the trainers in the Battle Company.
    - Got Bianca's Munna back from Team Plasma.
    - Fought the Castelia Gym and won. Whirlipede was taken down by Watchog with Super Fang, Confuse Ray, and Crunch. Dwebble went down at Herdier's hands with two Work Ups, and a Crunch for each Hyper Potion, then Leavanny went down with Retaliate and Crunch.
    Team is now:
    Spoiler:

coolfarhan11

Blissey's Manly!
    Years
  • I was thinking of doing a Psychic monotype on Silver. I might as well start this since I'm somehow lost in Cinnibar Mansion.

Team:
    Slowbro
    Girafarig
    Xatu
    Hypno
    Starmie

I might not use Xatu if I'm not allowed to do this: can I train up a Spearow to level 37 for the purpose of breeding to get a Xatu with drill peck?

EDIT:

Entry # 1 for Pokemon Silver Psychic Monotype

Did the Intro. Got Cyndaquil. Battled the least amount of trainers possible, since it'll go to waste since I won't use him. Owned Sprout Tower, then Falkner. (WHy in the world do I keep thinking his Pidgeotto is level 14 when it's only 9!!!) Passed Union cave. Did the Team Rocket part, caught a level 8 Slowpoke after like 15 minutes of searching. Deposited the level 20 (yikes!) Quilava. Now going to grind Slowpoke on the trainers I missed.

Last edited:

Tyranitar042

Tyranitar King
    Years
    • Age 34
    • US
    • Seen Feb 15, 2013
    No, but you can put it in the daycare until it learns it bc you arent supposed to train anything unless its of the same type you are running.....I am going to start a Ultimate-Monotype challenge using Ground on Yellow-Gold-Emerald-Diamond-and Black. The first 4 are on emulators but black is ds. Starting today and will have an update later on.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
  • Small update on my bug UMC, put ledian and ariados in daycare and will do alot of running to level them up. Will now continue with my water UMC

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • Now for another update on my Normal UMC on White:
    - Went north, fought Bianca, fought Cheren, then healed and fought all the trainers around Route 4 and the Desert Resort. Caught a Darumaka for Strength.
    - Went to Nimbasa City, got the Bike, got Strength, beat the trainers on Route 16.
    - Beat N, healed, then went to the gym.
    - Elesa fell relatively easily with Rock Tomb from Stoutland and Dig from Watchog.
    Team is now:
    Spoiler:

Still quite some time before I reach Rufflet and Bouffalant.

Tyranitar042

Tyranitar King
    Years
    • Age 34
    • US
    • Seen Feb 15, 2013
    Update: Ultimate Ground Monotype

Name: Zion
    Game: Yellow

Already Halfway and I just started im feeling pretty good about this run.
    • Spoiler:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back