• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Pokémon do you think have declined in popularity?

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2021
Some Pokémon have become popular, while others have declined in popularity. So, if you think of any Pokémon that have declined in popularity, please let me know. Thanks.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I think nearly all the starters have declined over time. There's so much hype and love for them when they first show up and then they... eventually just kinda drop down.

Years
I remember Typhlosion and how cool he looked being so talked about way back when GSC were newer, but nowadays it seems like no one mentions him much at all?

Years
pokemon from gen 6 such as furfrou (who was soooo popular when x & y was released) seems like they're starting to be forgotten :(

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2021
I think nearly all the starters have declined over time. There's so much hype and love for them when they first show up and then they... eventually just kinda drop down.

Well, okay? Which of these starters do you think didn't decline over time?

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
I know a lot of people loved the Honedge line when X and Y were new but I don't see many people talking about them these days.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
According to me,Flygon was very popular back in the day, at least where I was. It was pretty cool. And Typhlosion, as Sheep said. Darmanitan too was more popular before than it is now.

Years
i distinctly remember back when weavile was solidly OU back in gen 4 and like everyone and their mom used it. nowadays however, weavile is barely on anyone's radar, rip.

Years
I feel that Pokémon like the Charmander line and Lucario have declined in popularity. I have noticed that people think that they are unoriginal and uninspired and think that object based Pokémon are "creative".

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I feel that Pokémon like the Charmander line and Lucario have declined in popularity. I have noticed that people think that they are unoriginal and uninspired and think that object based Pokémon are "creative".

I'm genuinely curious as to who you've been talking to that considers those lines to be "unoriginal and uninspired" bc I've never heard that take in my life haha

Years
Back before it even had an official English name, Snubbull was being pushed as one of the main Johto Pokemon along with Marill. It was popular for a short while, but until it became a Fairy type, I don't think I ever heard anyone talking about it, especially not as one of their favorites.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I'd throw Heatran into the mix. As a legendary Pokémon it never really stood strong on its own and isn't a part of a notable trio. As the metagame changed, so did it's popularity.

pkmin3033

God, I wish...try telling that to Game Freak, who put Lucario into EVERYTHING and have given Charizard more transformations than Goku at this point. You'd be hard-pressed to find two Pokemon MORE popular than those two.

Honestly I find it hard to say any Pokemon have really declined in popularity, because every Pokemon is somone's favourite, and the focus is always shifted to the new generation when that rolls around...except for Pokemon that are ridiculously popular, and for Gen 1, because Game Freak won't stop pandering to Gen 1 in their newer titles.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
Years
I think Zoroark has kinda declined in popularity. Not that it had much to start with. It got some boost thanks to Zorua being fairly popular and it being the first attempt at a Lucario clone, but because it was so hard to get and still isn't easy to obtain, I feel like it's kinda faded into the shadows since it lacks much of the special attention that Lucario gets.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
After Gamefreak announced Ultrainstinct Charizard for SwSh I started seeing a drop on its popularity for good. Other than that, a lot of Pokemon from Johto.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
Charizard, since many noticed Gamefreak has a certain bias towards it.

I can't think of any others off the top of my head. Maybe Kanto Pokemon in general, but this could just be in the more vocal communities.

Years
btw

i remember when Blaziken and Infernape were the popular fire-type starters. now granted this was during their time and while one can make a very solid case that they havent come close to Charizard levels even during their peak popularity, it's still rather noticeable (even moreso in Infernape's case) how no one really bats an eye towards them, anymore.

Back