• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Would it be a fair guess that palyers in this community are more optimistic about S&S than players in the Pokemon subbredit?

Years
  • Age 57
  • Seen Sep 23, 2019
I see a lot of complaining about S&S in the subreddit, the decline of Pokemon, worry about the future of Pokemon, etc. But this type of pessimism seems to be rare in this community. Is that a fair statement? Is there a lot of worry about the franchise in general, or is this just a characteristic of Reddit's community in general?

(I, myself, can't wait for S&S to come out)

Years
Perhaps, but you'll probably always notice more complaints on huge platforms like the subreddit since more people = more complaints. Going by the are you impressed so far? thread on PC, it seems we have more people who aren't than are optimistic, but people always tend to be more vocal when they dislike something than the other way around. Personally, I'm quite excited myself, and recent trailers have made me even more hyped!

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
Maybe it's the subreddit. As Sheep said, more people= more complaints. There are some people who don't enjoy opinions that go against their interests and make a fuss. Btw, I'm excited for SwSh!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
We do also have a rule against excessive negativity beyond reasonable. That is, constructive crit is fine, but just yelling 'this sucks', '#Dexit', etc. is a no-go here. So the subreddit probably has more of that sort of thing happening too.

That said, on both here and the reddit, the complaints have dried up compared to 3 months back when the Galar dex stuff was new.

pkmin3033

Impossible to say. Like minds congregate, and different people post in different places...even if there is a common theme between the two places, the group of people posting on here is completely different to those posting on the subreddit. At least, I hope it is. If this place is comparable to reddit that's pretty depressing. But a lot of people won't have bothered to post their viewpoint for various reasons. Really, you'd need a site-wide mandatory poll both here and in the subreddit to get a halfway decent comparison of people's views, and even that is going to be subject to flaws.

...also if there is a rule against excessive negativity here now why on earth have I not been banned yet when I literally never have anything positive to say. xD

Years
That subreddit is terrible imho. I think people here are more civil with their opinion than there.

As for myself I'm still neutral when it comes to these games. I wish GF did more with them, but if they won't screwed them so much as they did with LGPE, I think they might be fine Pokémon games, but not something I would buy Switch for. Especially when there is 3DS where you can legally go to every Pokémon region (except for Galar of course). GF would have to pull BotW level of improvements to make me buy SwSh.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I think it's probably moreso that the Pokemon subreddit is more active and also that it's less moderated.

I'm not the most hardcore "ahh they took the national dex away" person around but I still don't like it. (though I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people who "like" it or feel "optimistic" about it)

On the scale of optimism versus pessimism I'm probably leaning on the pessimistic side lately....and it's not just because of the national dex thing. (I don't migrate religiously so it doesn't REALLY affect me)

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Reddit, for the most part, is probably one of the worst places to discuss things. I try my best to avoid it because, no matter what, everything on reddit has more negativity than positivety.

I will be honest though, compared to pass generations vs SwSh, there isn't that much discussion going on like there usually is. That tells me people just don't want to talk about it as much.

Now for me, I love all pokemon games and I try to look at the pros over cons, however, some things in SwSh have disappointed me because it is a console game. And I feel like excuses are being made by the creators to cover up lazyness. I personally think Nintendo/Game Freak want to stop working on Pokemon games. Because they have mentioned wanting to make a new 'pokemon' franchise and put a smaller and weaker team on creating the SwSh.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Eh, more people means more opinions. The negative ones just tend to be louder, it seems.

Years
i echo the sentiments here that yeah, more people means more voices and not all of those voices are going to be positive. that said, from my observations, i feel that this community and r/Pokemon do share a similar amount of wariness, as it were, when it comes to these games. i think that after SM and especially USUM (which seemingly burned people out/seemed to be the one version people skipped out on), some players were really left yearning more, especially after Game Freak's claim that this was supposed to be the games for the core audience or whatever.

whether that claim holds any amount of truth at all remains to be seen, and i think this is the reason why some people may be cynical.

Last edited:

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
I would say it's because not a majority of them on Reddit are Pokemon fans, at least because they are not a place 100% dedicated to the community of Pokemon fans like we are here. I've always seen people on there complaining for the sake of complaining without even giving the things they are displeased about fair chances to prove them wrong.

Last edited:
Back