• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Feedback & Member Suggestions

Years
  • Hey, so, this is basically kind of an informal, but official, thread where I am soliciting some member feedback as well as some ideas/suggestions from you guys.

Here's a list of my ideas:
    • Add a "Manga/Light Novel" tag to try to encourage member discussion.
    • Consider an "Ongoing" tag for longer series, whether they're manga or anime.
    • Add a "Past Seasons" tag to roll all of the discussion threads from past seasons into one tag when their season thread reaches its tag limit.
    • Have a watch-along picked from finished but easy to access Crunchyroll series.
    • Have a read-along picked from some manga series.
    • Have a reading club for light novel reading - you anime/manga-only folks don't know what you're missing out on from some of the better light novel series!

Anyone have any other suggestions or ideas?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • We all need to watch Ghost Stories. The dub.

This is not a suggestion.

---

Apart from that, I feel like something to goad the discussion of off-season anime would be great. We really only have threads for the current season (and only part of it) and, occasionally, a thread discussing more general stuff. It's not often, though. Which is a shame, because if there were events or threads where we pushed the in-depth thought and discussion about anime, moreso than just "favorite" and "Least Favorite" threads, I think we could become a more all-encompassing (and possibly active) community.

Years
  • We all need to watch Ghost Stories. The dub.

This is not a suggestion.

---

Apart from that, I feel like something to goad the discussion of off-season anime would be great. We really only have threads for the current season (and only part of it) and, occasionally, a thread discussing more general stuff. It's not often, though. Which is a shame, because if there were events or threads where we pushed the in-depth thought and discussion about anime, moreso than just "favorite" and "Least Favorite" threads, I think we could become a more all-encompassing (and possibly active) community.

I'd be down for a sanctioned watch-along of that if it weren't so offensive, haha.

Maybe a featured series of the week discussion would be a way to jump start more discussion on past series?

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Firstly congratz on getting promoted to rule this section too xD Well deserved!

Add a "Manga/Light Novel" tag to try to encourage member discussion.
    Definitely because right now the section is feeling 90% anime and 10% Manga/light novel - even less maybe. I'd like to be able to talk about the latest chapters of manga without having to spoil it within that anime's thread.

Consider an "Ongoing" tag for longer series, whether they're manga or anime.
    Add a "Past Seasons" tag to roll all of the discussion threads from past seasons into one tag when their season thread reaches its tag limit.

^ Wanted these two for a while xD
    Although could you revive an "ongoing" anime thread if it dies?

Have a watch-along picked from finished but easy to access Crunchyroll series.
    Have a read-along picked from some manga series.

I love both these ideas especially since I've recently only started reading manga again and new stuff to read would also be cool.
    Does Crunchy/Funimation/AnimeLab or anywhere else do movies as well? Maybe better for a few people who can't join or won't have time to see a whole series/ for people who don't usually casual A&M.

Also very much like the idea of having a featured series of the week! Maybe you could have the A&M splash rotating like A&D's splash where it could rotate between featured anime, manga and light novel series?

Not really my suggestion, but it was something that was mentioned on the supporter skype chat how people wanted an A&M skype chat? Since a lot of sections on PC (RPT, WoPC, A&D etc.) have skype chats now.

Maybe an event like last year when we did 10 Weeks of Anime - since that caused a lot of activity?

Years
  • Exactly! Read Onii-sama is even better than watched Onii-sama!

But is it really our best option for an LN book club? :P

Firstly congratz on getting promoted to rule this section too xD Well deserved!

Add a "Manga/Light Novel" tag to try to encourage member discussion.
    Definitely because right now the section is feeling 90% anime and 10% Manga/light novel - even less maybe. I'd like to be able to talk about the latest chapters of manga without having to spoil it within that anime's thread.

Consider an "Ongoing" tag for longer series, whether they're manga or anime.
    Add a "Past Seasons" tag to roll all of the discussion threads from past seasons into one tag when their season thread reaches its tag limit.

^ Wanted these two for a while xD
    Although could you revive an "ongoing" anime thread if it dies?

Have a watch-along picked from finished but easy to access Crunchyroll series.
    Have a read-along picked from some manga series.

I love both these ideas especially since I've recently only started reading manga again and new stuff to read would also be cool.
    Does Crunchy/Funimation/AnimeLab or anywhere else do movies as well? Maybe better for a few people who can't join or won't have time to see a whole series/ for people who don't usually casual A&M.

Also very much like the idea of having a featured series of the week! Maybe you could have the A&M splash rotating like A&D's splash where it could rotate between featured anime, manga and light novel series?

Not really my suggestion, but it was something that was mentioned on the supporter skype chat how people wanted an A&M skype chat? Since a lot of sections on PC (RPT, WoPC, A&D etc.) have skype chats now.

Maybe an event like last year when we did 10 Weeks of Anime - since that caused a lot of activity?

I'll push forward with the tag requests.

Crunchyroll has some movies, but they mostly only have main series stuff because that's all they've usually got licensed. Funimation tends to have everything they've ever made in their digital library that's available to subscribers, but not all of that is available to non-subscribers. Not sure about AnimeLab since that's not a USA thing, but Hulu and Netflix both have movies, too.

That rotating splash thing sounds like a cool idea. There's an obstacle to that, though: I lack 1337 gfx skilz. If somebody were to make them that'd be no problem, though!

While a cool idea, official Skype chats do have to follow site rules, and I can't guarantee I'll be able to monitor everything. I wonder if there are other staff that could be roped into helping keep the chat clean.

I'll definitely consider something like that.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I'll push forward with the tag requests.

That rotating splash thing sounds like a cool idea. There's an obstacle to that, though: I lack 1337 gfx skilz. If somebody were to make them that'd be no problem, though!
    I don't know if I'm qualified but I'm up for making the images if you're okay with that. I've got okay-ish gfx skills, I'd say :p Just tell me the required resolution and I'll be on it.

Good to hear those tags will be in place, though. They'd really help.

Years
  • I don't know if I'm qualified but I'm up for making the images if you're okay with that. I've got okay-ish gfx skills, I'd say :p Just tell me the required resolution and I'll be on it.

Good to hear those tags will be in place, though. They'd really help.

I'll have to see what our current one is set to, as it seems a pretty good set of dimensions.

We'll find out our first series of each during next week.

EDIT: First thread implemented: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=362881

Also, what are your thoughts on the current links in the Splash? What links, if any, should be added to the Splash?

Current links there are: DCC, Rules, Claims thread, and an outdated MAL directory.

EDIT 2:

I'm eyeing a weekly schedule that looks like this when in full swing, with debuts in brackets):

Sunday - Current Season Catchup Watch-Along Day (catching up on a currently airing anime) [Feb 21, Nominations begin Feb 14]
    Monday - Watch-Along Thread Day (long-running series) [Mar 7, Nominations begin Feb 29]
    Tuesday - New Weekly Featured Anime Thread [Feb. 16, Nominations begin today]
    Wednesday - New Weekly Featured Manga Thread [Feb. 17, Nominations begin Feb 9]
    Thursday - New Weekly Featured Light Novel Thread [Feb 18, Nominations begin Feb 10]
    Friday - Watch-Along Thread Day (short series) [Feb 19, Nominations begin Feb 12]
    Saturday - Read-Along Thread [Feb 27, Nominations begin Feb 20] and Book Club Thread Day [Mar 12, Nominations begin Feb 5]

And then a monthly Movie Watch list [Feb 28] every month on the 28th.

I figure having a separate short and long running watch-along thread would allow people to jump into whichever they felt comfortable with and would also keep our singular watch-along from getting stuck on a long running series right off the bat.

Other ideas I just came up with:

Weekly "Challenge" Thread (still in gestational stages as an idea; Posting challenge? Anime to-do challenge?)
    Toonami discussion (Does anyone here besides me even watch Toonami?)
    Merch Day (I have no idea where I was going with this?; weekly update of merch news that caught my eyes/ the eyes of others?)

I do intend to get more general anime & manga news into the section as well.

Last edited:

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • I don't know if I'm qualified but I'm up for making the images if you're okay with that. I've got okay-ish gfx skills, I'd say :p Just tell me the required resolution and I'll be on it

JUST "okay-ish" Dero? Don't think the rest of A&D would still talk great things about you if you were just "okay-ish" :pp

Also, what are your thoughts on the current links in the Splash? What links, if any, should be added to the Splash?
    Current links there are: DCC, Rules, Claims thread, and an outdated MAL directory.
    DCC and Rules are obvious to stay.

Claim thread is very dependent on whether you're willing to take over Chikara's original thread and plan to keep it updated. I don't know exactly, but to me any claim thread doesn't seem as much a necessary part to all forums as it used to be since GE and VG don't seem to have them anymore.

As for MAL, the question is does a lot of people still use it? I mean I do, but other people might use hummingbird or anichart now days(?)

Weekly "Challenge" Thread (still in gestational stages as an idea; Posting challenge? Anime to-do challenge?)

I like the sound of an anime to-do challenge (maybe since we did a posting challenge last time). What do you have in mind for it?

I do intend to get more general anime & manga news into the section as well.

Was just thinking about this today. A singular thread where people can posts any officially announced new anime/manga news (or even a separate tag? - though we already have lots of tags). Maybe discussion in the thread too but that could get messy? News would be great since peoples sometimes miss announcements until way after they're announced.

Years
  • DCC and Rules are obvious to stay.

Well, obviously.

Claim thread is very dependent on whether you're willing to take over Chikara's original thread and plan to keep it updated. I don't know exactly, but to me any claim thread doesn't seem as much a necessary part to all forums as it used to be since GE and VG don't seem to have them anymore.

I'm thinking that'll still be worthwhile even if it might at times be a chore to maintain.

As for MAL, the question is does a lot of people still use it? I mean I do, but other people might use hummingbird or anichart now days(?)

I'll probably turn it into a multi-site directory.

I like the sound of an anime to-do challenge (maybe since we did a posting challenge last time). What do you have in mind for it?

Uh maybe a list of tasks kind of like a scavenger hunt for certain elements in a series, maybe.

Was just thinking about this today. A singular thread where people can posts any officially announced new anime/manga news (or even a separate tag? - though we already have lots of tags). Maybe discussion in the thread too but that could get messy? News would be great since peoples sometimes miss announcements until way after they're announced.

Single thread might be too condensed. I might just start posting news stories as I see them.

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2020
    I got a suggestion..well, a few.

When posting a new thread with a prefix, would it be possible to use two prefixes instead of one? For example, if I wanted to post a thread about Ao no Futsumashi, which is an ongoing series and the thread I'm making is specifically for the manga discussion, it would be easier to organize and figure out what that series is about - if you're just looking at the thread listing (Light Novel/ Manga and Ongoing) This may not be that big of a deal (and quite frankly, it's not like it'll effect anything other than organization and more info at first glance), but it could end up being a big help if someone was searching for a new series and didn't want it to be ongoing so they could read it all in bulk (I know a lot of people like this). Same thing goes for if someone was trying to find a series that was ongoing because they prefer to read new content every release.

This also kind of runs into my next suggestion, in a way. I know the general rule is "after 30 days a thread is considered inactive and it is best to make a new thread instead of necroing the old one." I understand that and that is probably why this won't be able to pick up any steam, but what about having a main directory? It would require a lot of work, but not necessarily putting a shit load of work on the moderator (in the sense that a normal user could make the thread that way allowing for free editing of it). The directory would keep all series located to one thread. If that thread has been dead for a year due to hiatus or simply no one wanting to talk about it, why not continue the discussion in the same thread? Of course, it would be two separate threads for the respective anime and manga of the series. With a directory, it's not like you're going through massive amounts of old threads to find a thread for a series, it'll make it a lot easier being organized in alphabetically order and classified in anime and manga sections.

To increase the value of a directory thread, we could also have predefined thread making templates. Would have info such as author, what magazine it's being serialized in, chapters, volumes, etc. Eventually, users from not only this forum but one's searching through search engines would come across the large amount of series information in each thread thus increasing the traffic and the credibility of PC's anime and manga community.

tl;dr
    be able to add more than one thread prefix
    add directory
    have posting template for new threads

Years
  • I got a suggestion..well, a few.

When posting a new thread with a prefix, would it be possible to use two prefixes instead of one? For example, if I wanted to post a thread about Ao no Futsumashi, which is an ongoing series and the thread I'm making is specifically for the manga discussion, it would be easier to organize and figure out what that series is about - if you're just looking at the thread listing (Light Novel/ Manga and Ongoing) This may not be that big of a deal (and quite frankly, it's not like it'll effect anything other than organization and more info at first glance), but it could end up being a big help if someone was searching for a new series and didn't want it to be ongoing so they could read it all in bulk (I know a lot of people like this). Same thing goes for if someone was trying to find a series that was ongoing because they prefer to read new content every release.

This also kind of runs into my next suggestion, in a way. I know the general rule is "after 30 days a thread is considered inactive and it is best to make a new thread instead of necroing the old one." I understand that and that is probably why this won't be able to pick up any steam, but what about having a main directory? It would require a lot of work, but not necessarily putting a shit load of work on the moderator (in the sense that a normal user could make the thread that way allowing for free editing of it). The directory would keep all series located to one thread. If that thread has been dead for a year due to hiatus or simply no one wanting to talk about it, why not continue the discussion in the same thread? Of course, it would be two separate threads for the respective anime and manga of the series. With a directory, it's not like you're going through massive amounts of old threads to find a thread for a series, it'll make it a lot easier being organized in alphabetically order and classified in anime and manga sections.

To increase the value of a directory thread, we could also have predefined thread making templates. Would have info such as author, what magazine it's being serialized in, chapters, volumes, etc. Eventually, users from not only this forum but one's searching through search engines would come across the large amount of series information in each thread thus increasing the traffic and the credibility of PC's anime and manga community.

tl;dr
    be able to add more than one thread prefix
    add directory
    have posting template for new threads

No on the multi-prefixes right now as that's a backend thing I have no control over.

Directory is a maybe.

Thread templates is not a bad idea. I don't have any sort of eye for design aesthetic, however, so anything I come up with is not going to be, well, pretty.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • Thread templates is not a bad idea. I don't have any sort of eye for design aesthetic, however, so anything I come up with is not going to be, well, pretty.

I think many of us here would love to help :)

I suck at CSS but I'm good at Photoshop.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • Ban the members with horrendous taste.
    Start a yaoi & bara sharing thread.
    Write a thesis on Boku no Pico.

Forum challenges, I like the idea. Maybe a "caption this picture" event or like idk, voice acting?? (I bet there are hidden talented seiyuus lurking PC xD). Or maybe like a thing whereby we all ~try~ to sing anime theme songs. YES IM RIPPING OFF R/ANIME SINGS.

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2020
    Ban the members with horrendous taste.
    Start a yaoi & bara sharing thread.
    Write a thesis on Boku no Pico.

Forum challenges, I like the idea. Maybe a "caption this picture" event or like idk, voice acting?? (I bet there are hidden talented seiyuus lurking PC xD). Or maybe like a thing whereby we all ~try~ to sing anime theme songs. YES IM RIPPING OFF R/ANIME SINGS.

I think a picture captioning challenge would be really fun. I'm down for that.

No on the multi-prefixes right now as that's a backend thing I have no control over.

Directory is a maybe.

Thread templates is not a bad idea. I don't have any sort of eye for design aesthetic, however, so anything I come up with is not going to be, well, pretty.

The template wouldn't necessary be pretty...well, it wouldn't have to be. Maybe just the basics with a little bit of CSS, but have it where it's easy to customize to whoever's liking. That way simple people could just copy and paste, fill in the blanks, and people who are more CSS savy can create a work of art lol

Last edited:
    Back