• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Nominations!] Weekly Featured Anime Week 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    This is the nomination thread for the weekly featured anime thread!

Nominate series here! I will leave this thread up for 96 hours, and I will throw all suggestions into a poll that will also stay up for 96 hours. The only requirements as of this second are that the series not be hentai, is not illegal, and will not otherwise put PC in hot water. I do reserve the right to strike series from candidacy if I feel it fits that last criteria.

Nominate away!

Years
    Bible Bl-

Dammit.

/sigh...Gintama, then.

I need to resupply my reaction gif reserves.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    Boku no Yayoi...

...umm, Boku Dake ga Inai Machi. If I'm only supposed to nominate ongoing seasonal shows. If not, then Gintama (2015) [with that degree symbol at the end or whatever lol].

Years
    Not really sure if it counts, but i would like to nominate RWBY.

As fun as that one would look, that technically isn't an anime by the English definition. I may still put it in the poll, though.

Boku no Yayoi...

...umm, Boku Dake ga Inai Machi. If I'm only supposed to nominate ongoing seasonal shows. If not, then Gintama (2015) [with that degree symbol at the end or whatever lol].

You can nominate from any season or any franchise that has an anime as long as it doesn't violate the 3 rules in the first post. I'm nominating Yuru Yuri, myself.

Light and Darkness Dragon

Want a Sprite Cranberry? 🎄
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2021
    The Story of Li-
    I second One Punch Man.
    Rwby should be in the poll, and any show that uses at least 60% animation, even american.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    Eh, I say keep it. I wouldn't even say it's anime-styled save for the surface aesthetics (excluding how the characters act or move), but as long as we don't get bombarded by Western Cartoons it shouldn't be a problem.

I think he's referring more to the other part of the comment "any show that shows 60% animation, even american" rather than RWBY specifically. I definitely wouldn't want that. RWBY is fine though. :p

Years
    Eh, I say keep it. I wouldn't even say it's anime-styled save for the surface aesthetics (excluding how the characters act or move), but as long as we don't get bombarded by Western Cartoons it shouldn't be a problem.

I think he's referring more to the other part of the comment "any show that shows 60% animation, even american" rather than RWBY specifically. I definitely wouldn't want that. RWBY is fine though. :p

Yeah, that was definitely directed at the second part of that sentence more than the first part.

Light and Darkness Dragon

Want a Sprite Cranberry? 🎄
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2021
    The following is my opinion.
    It is difficult to define what an anime is because the subject is broad. Anime can be used to describe anything that has been animated, because anime is an abbreviation for animation. Anime was not a word in the American English vocabulary until about 1987 where reporters stopped using the word Japanimation which was used to describe animation created in Japan. The reason for the switch from Japanimation to anime was because Japanimation was determined to be a racial slur. To this day I still have friends who refer to animation created in Japan as Japanimation. I am also told a number of animated shows targeted to an English speaking audience. I do not have any concrete evidence but as I'm also told its cheaper to animate over seas I certainly believe it. Boondocks and Animatrix are the first anime to make me aware of this. While I believe animated shows, and film targeted towards a Japanese audience have better quality in terms of characters and story. It is important to give credit when credit is due to any animated show or film regardless of the targeted audience or country of origin.

Leave RWBY in America.
    It's not like people would watch it with Saorin for it to be at least 0.0001% anime.
    RWBY's origins are the internet as are One-Punch Man's.

Warning Stupid Rant that I was going to delete but thought it could be worth posting. Take the following with a grain of salt if you chose to read.
    Spoiler:

Note to self watch Megazone 23, and Guyver

Years
    The following is my opinion.
    It is difficult to define what an anime is because the subject is broad. Anime can be used to describe anything that has been animated, because anime is an abbreviation for animation. Anime was not a word in the American English vocabulary until about 1987 where reporters stopped using the word Japanimation which was used to describe animation created in Japan. The reason for the switch from Japanimation to anime was because Japanimation was determined to be a racial slur. To this day I still have friends who refer to animation created in Japan as Japanimation. I am also told a number of animated shows targeted to an English speaking audience. I do not have any concrete evidence but as I'm also told its cheaper to animate over seas I certainly believe it. Boondocks and Animatrix are the first anime to make me aware of this. While I believe animated shows, and film targeted towards a Japanese audience have better quality in terms of characters and story. It is important to give credit when credit is due to any animated show or film regardless of the targeted audience or country of origin.

RWBY's origins are the internet as are One-Punch Man's.

Warning Stupid Rant that I was going to delete but thought it could be worth posting. Take the following with a grain of salt if you chose to read.
    Spoiler:

Note to self watch Megazone 23, and Guyver

I'm using the consensus English definition, which applies to anything originally produced by a Japanese studio. Anime isn't a style of animation. Otherwise, Disney works could be called Anime, as the huge expressive eyes of early Disney works have inspired the modern huge and expressive eyes that are all over modern Japanese animation.

Boondocks, while fantastically animated, is produced by an American studio. Plain and simple.

But anyway, could you create a thread on this topic you wish to continue? I'd do it but I'm posting on my phone right now.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    It is difficult to define what an anime is because the subject is broad.
    Not really.
    Anime as an abbreviation of animation is Japan-only thing.

On the internet and the west, anime is what is used instead of, what you even mentioned, Japanimation. that is, describing animation that comes from Japan.

A few English Shows are dubbed into Japanese. My Little Pony, and RWBY quickly come to mind. Rwby was also given a manga in JP. Star Wars was also given a Manga.
    That's why I said

It's not like people would watch it with Saorin for it to be at least 0.0001% anime.

Years
    Closing this thread with 1.5 hours to go since I'm in here anyway. Will have the poll itself up later tonight.

Gintama (original)
    One Punch Man
    Boku Dake ga Inai Machi
    Gintama (2015)
    Yuru Yuri
    RWBY (making an exception for this one)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back