• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Subbed] This anime is actually good

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
There's a lot of heated debates about the said quality of the show... if you want to tip your hat into the ring you're welcome to.

We keep our debates civil here :D

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
It's subjective and certainly not for everybody. I'm enjoying it a lot at the minute.

I would like to see more of the classmates though. My secret desire is that Ash doesn't appear in an episode and we just see the classmates chilling around together.

Team Rocket are amazing this saga. I love how they can be doing their own thing and Ash stumbles across them.

Years
I hate Ash's new design as well, along with him acting even more childish than he has ever been. The lack of battling and abandonment of the travelling aspect was also a huge downside, but I do at least praise the personalities of the Pokemon themselves, as well as Lillie having her cute moments.

Last edited:

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
Years
I didn't think the anime wasn't that bad in the beginning, it has a few good things.

E.g.: The use of different art styles time to time is probably the nicest gag, it feels pretty original (not that I know other series doing this a lot.).
And overall, I quite like the Pok?mon the group have together.
Bewear was also a nice gag, but it's wearing off for me.

But by now, I am not exactly thrilled by it anymore.
Main reason is because the large number of filler-ish episodes are really starting to bore me right now. I wish they could accelerate the plot a bit more.

And yeah, Ash's downgrade, not to mention.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
To me the series isn't terrible, but it's at most OK. It's entertaining enough because of the gags and we've gotten a few good battles and some beautiful artwork, but it feels like a big part of the show is missing with there being no significant storyline and Ash not really traveling around. Ash is also more annoying than ever this season, and Kiawe is the only side character that really has any kind of depth or anything interesting going on to me. He's the only classmate I would want to see more of. Team Rocket has been just about unnecessary so far and most of their appearances have been either too long or so short it's like why bother, and Team Skull is a joke. I also don't really like the Rotom Dex because he's a bit irritating, although he hasn't been speaking as much the past couple of episodes of the dub.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
To everyone saying that it lacks any significant plot or whatever, wasn't the main criticism of the anime in previous seasons was that it's always formulaic? It's pretty hypocritical for those who want something completely different.

And yeah, Ash's downgrade, not to mention.

Ash didn't get nerfed this season. He managed to beat Hala without losing all of his Pok?mon in his team at the time.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
To everyone saying that it lacks any significant plot or whatever, wasn't the main criticism of the anime in previous seasons was that it's always formulaic? It's pretty hypocritical for those who want something completely different.

I've never understood this. The pacing could be better sure, but there are Island Trials, there are smaller arcs for the other characters (who I hope become more relevant), there is Lillie and her phobia as well as Gladion/Lusamine confirmed, Tapu Koko taking an interest in Ash...there are a lot of plot points so far.

Personally I think people just wanted Ash to win the last league - as there is no league in SM, there is a sense of 'where is the plot'. There is plot, it's just not the same overdone league quest and I'm excited for it.

Ash didn't get nerfed this season. He managed to beat Hala without losing all of his Pok?mon in his team at the time.

This criticism is mainly towards his personality and not his battling ability. Off the serious and mature Ash from XYZ, can be jarring.

Years

Like Frozo said, the major criticism towards Ash in SM is his personality. He has been acting extremely childish in this series, in fact much more childish than any previous series. It is definitely a huge contrast when coming off the back of XY when he was at his most serious and mature.

There's also criticism towards the slapstick approach. We get stuff like the very horrifying facial expressions (like that infamous uvula with the face shot in SM010) and Ash getting attacked by nearly everything he sees. It feels too forced and you can easily tell that there will never be an episode that will go without Ash being a butt monkey.

Years
I personally don't mind the SM anime, I like the artwork, the supporting characters, and the overall difference in plot, it's refreshing. I like how the Team Rocket story arc is different this series, as I had always found them annoying. I also love Rowlet, its one of the cutest Pokemon characters we've had!

My biggest dislike of this series is the over the top facial expressions, they distract me and take me out of the story.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
What we've seen in SM is barely plot. There's been the episodes with Ash getting the Z-crystals and going through the trials, but those are few and far between otherwise it's been nothing but filler. Without him traveling through a region and getting badges and other significant things occurring that adds character development/growth, there's not a lot going on. The tone of this series doesn't exactly fit the regular formula of the show, but the show had this formula going for 19 seasons and now they make it much different. It's like if Power Rangers suddenly changed to have only the occasional episode with the rangers morphing and battling a monster and the show was otherwise scenes with the civilian characters interacting and slapstick moments.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
It's like if Power Rangers suddenly changed to have only the occasional episode with the rangers morphing and battling a monster and the show was otherwise scenes with the civilian characters interacting and slapstick moments.

It did change from a monster of the week show... to an iyashikei one so, the change is like night and day. Still the battles we do get are great tho.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 26, 2018
It's okay. I'm happy that they're cutting out all the story elements of the show and having it just be a "Slice of Life" show.
Ash being "nerfed" is fine. It would be silly to have Ash come to Alola and just 1-shot everything. Even if it is inconsistent with the anime """canon""" it makes for a better self-contained story.

Overall however, I wouldn't recommend the season. There are better stories in the world.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I wanted to burn this show in a heaping pile of manure but I took a step back, cleared my mind of all notions of XY and gave the show an honest look. The show has 3 Pokegirls instead of 1(although 1 is getting more attention than others and that is on purpose), its a change of pace from the constant traveling and although the face gags and filler Episodes are getting old, they do serve a purpose. Episode 13 and more so Episode 28 did more for Lana's character development than the Episode that was dedicated to her or Episode 5(poor writing? Eh maybe). There are even examples of fillers having an impact on Lillie while Mallow is on full display every Episode(Deredere).

Melody

Banned
Years
Ok, so my opinion is based on the [Dub] found on DisXD, so Pardon if I seem behind.

Lillie: She's elegant, and draws a lot of screen time. I suspect that there's gonna be some plot later that thrusts her in the spotlight. Already she's acclimating to things and learning not to be such a wallflower, but that's not without it's advantages.

Lana: She's quiet and sweet like Lillie is. Of course she's a lot more confident in herself, and it's apparent. I honestly felt like some moments starring her felt forced, outside of the plot where she spends time bonding with her Popplio and training it. She shines in moments with Pokemon and it shows. Not so much around people.

Mallow: Whoa. Wow. She's like a female Ash. She's outgoing, exciteable, fun and most of all quite motherly and very impulsive. Like Ash she's also a Force of Personality. She really has her own thing. I haven't seen anything developing her character much though, and she's due it. I know she's onscreen quite a bit, but it's always supportively for someone else. Want to see some real Mallow to Shine. Haven't seen any yet.

Sophocles: Hehehe. Cute. Togedemaru just drives home how young he is. You don't see a lot of Pokemon who are quite as evidently feminine as Togedemaru is. It's a refreshing thing to see. Especially since she just happens to be a hyperactive ball of cute. I get the feeling she's young too.

Kiawe: Dependable guy, seems miles ahead of Ash. Seriously, someone get this guy a freaking stamp or two. Maybe he just overcommits himself, but definitely a gentle rival for Ash. I'm so glad this time a possible rival isn't a douche nozzle like Gary or Paul.

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2019
Ok, so my opinion is based on the [Dub] found on DisXD, so Pardon if I seem behind.

Lillie: She's elegant, and draws a lot of screen time. I suspect that there's gonna be some plot later that thrusts her in the spotlight. Already she's acclimating to things and learning not to be such a wallflower, but that's not without it's advantages.

Lana: She's quiet and sweet like Lillie is. Of course she's a lot more confident in herself, and it's apparent. I honestly felt like some moments starring her felt forced, outside of the plot where she spends time bonding with her Popplio and training it. She shines in moments with Pokemon and it shows. Not so much around people.

Mallow: Whoa. Wow. She's like a female Ash. She's outgoing, exciteable, fun and most of all quite motherly and very impulsive. Like Ash she's also a Force of Personality. She really has her own thing. I haven't seen anything developing her character much though, and she's due it. I know she's onscreen quite a bit, but it's always supportively for someone else. Want to see some real Mallow to Shine. Haven't seen any yet.

Sophocles: Hehehe. Cute. Togedemaru just drives home how young he is. You don't see a lot of Pokemon who are quite as evidently feminine as Togedemaru is. It's a refreshing thing to see. Especially since she just happens to be a hyperactive ball of cute. I get the feeling she's young too.

Kiawe: Dependable guy, seems miles ahead of Ash. Seriously, someone get this guy a freaking stamp or two. Maybe he just overcommits himself, but definitely a gentle rival for Ash. I'm so glad this time a possible rival isn't a douche nozzle like Gary or Paul.

Actually Kiawe is not Ash's rival it will be another person.

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2019
False. There's a strong relationship with Kiawe, and nobody else is a factor. Hau is too absent

Kiawes relationship with Ash is just a classmate and friend. There is another one that will be Ash's rival and has a Midnight Lycanroc.

Melody

Banned
Years
Mmm. That person doesn't exist yet. Well maybe he does in the JP version but that's largely irrelevant. I told you I watch the dub. So that person simply doesn't exist quite yet. We'll see.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
Kiawe is the only classmate I really like. He has an edge to him and has a "I know everything/a lot" attitude but he does it in a quiet way. He definitely didn't like Ash at first but the episode where Ash helps him and his family on the dairy farm made him respect Ash more and become more of his friend and I liked how that episode showed he's hard-working and helpful and not just the tough know a lot guy. The rest of them are just annoying and one-dimensional to me, I know I'm going to ruffle feathers with that opinion especially those who love Lillie.

Back