• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Marowak-Alola "with a twist"

Veil Loreraven

Ghost Master
Years
I came up with a Variant of the Alolan Marowak that I think I want to share. A Marowak that No one will ever see coming if its fighting against the right pokemon!

Marowak- Alola.
Item: Thick Club
Nature: Lax - I can't change the nature, it just sort of came with it.
I.V's HP - Best, Attack - Best, Def - Best, Speed - Decent, Sp. Def - Pretty good, Sp. Atk - Decent.

Moves:

1. Swords Dance
2. Bonemerang
3. Flare Blitz
4. Bubblebeam.

I gave my Cubone Bubblebeam and then evolved it into alolan Marowak .I think bubblebeam is a good choice since no one will ever expect it in a million years. Also really good against pokemon like Heatran.

Years
You'd be better off hitting Heatran with Bonemerang since that's 4x effective and useddMarowak's better Atk. Honestly bubblebeam isn't worth running at all. You should use that last slot for Will-O-Wisp or Stealth Rock.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
i would ask why Marowak can even learn Bubblebeam in the first place, but this is also the game where Wooper gets Ice Punch and Black Kyurem does not

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
I'm a huge fan of running Shadow Bone in the last slot. It's just a really good move, period. Ghost doesn't hit much of the meta super effectively (except other Alolan Marowak), but almost nothing resists it either (Except Greninja, who can't switch into Bonemerang).

Years
tbh go Shadow Bone, Flare Blitz, Bonemerang, Stealth Rock/Will-o-Wisp

Swords Dance is unneeded with Thick Club and Marowak lacks the speed/bulk to capitalise on it.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I think people are too often mislead by super effective moves (that doesn't make use of the Pokemon's main offensive stat) being better than neutral (or even resisted) STAB moves.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
tbh go Shadow Bone, Flare Blitz, Bonemerang, Stealth Rock/Will-o-Wisp

Swords Dance is unneeded with Thick Club and Marowak lacks the speed/bulk to capitalise on it.

Swords Dance Marowak is actually good for the stall matchup. You don't use it against offensive teams given how slow Marowak is. This is the standard Alolan Marowak set and the above people explained why it works:
-Fire Punch/Flare Blitz
-Shadow Bone
-Swords Dance/Bonemerang
-Stealth Rock/Will-o-Wisp/Bonemerang
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod/Rock Head

Fire Punch is an option if Flare Blitz's recoil is unappealing, but it's better you use Lightning Rod with it so Marowak can counter Electric Pokemon Tapu Koko and Mega Manectric. Flare Blitz must be used with Rock Head. Shadow Bone, as mentioned above, is a spammable Ghost STAB, as there aren't many Ghost resistances in OU. Bonemerang is the superior option for dealing with Heatran (and Tyranitar), as it hits Heatran 4x super effectively and does more to Tyranitar. Because Marowak has good coverage in 2-3 moves, the last slot is filler, with Stealth Rock being used if you want role compression or Will-o-Wisp to cripple physical attackers on the switch:

252 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 600-712 (185.7 - 220.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0- SpA Marowak-Alola Bubble Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 46-56 (14.2 - 17.3%) -- possible 6HKO

252 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 600-712 (155.8 - 184.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0- SpA Marowak-Alola Bubble Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 46-56 (11.9 - 14.5%) -- possible 7HKO

In other words, it's better to take out Heatran straight away on the switch rather than having it survive and possibly KO Marowak with Earth Power:

252 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Marowak-Alola: 236-278 (90.4 - 106.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

The things I said about Heatran can also be said for Tyranitar:

252 Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 292-344 (85.6 - 100.8%) -- approx. 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

0- SpA Marowak-Alola Bubble Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar: 50-60 (14.6 - 17.5%) -- possible 6HKO

Last edited:

Veil Loreraven

Ghost Master
Years
aww...really? I thought Bubblebeam was a good idea. You can only get it from transfering from yellow and He hasn't been able to learn it since Gen 1 so it would be unexpected in the right situation.

My Marowak does have rock head since he was X-fered from my yellow version. I actually forgot about shadow bone. I haven't leveled up my marowak yet, I just have a set in mind for him for when I am done doing his E.V Training.

I guess I can still keep my BB Marowak as for something fun and make another one from sun and moon. I am sure I can come up with a fun alternative set for Marowak that will be fun then.

Last edited:
Back