• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is it still worth it to "catch them all"?

Years
  • Generation after generation, you were given basically the same task. Some Trainers took it upon themselves to see through that task, while others mostly wanted to explore and journey around. That task, given by every Professor, was to complete the Pokedex.

Completing the regional dex was one thing, but the National Dex, which in some games was obtained after reaching a specific point in the game, was another matter altogether for some. Completing the National Dex meant capturing data for every Pokemon out there up to that particular generation, which can be time-consuming and overwhelming.

My question for you all is: Is it still worth it to catch them all, even knowing the likely possibility that Gen 8 will have over 900 Pokemon?

Claire Lilly

~Professional Vulpix Breeder/Trainer~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2019
    As a guideline for the gameplay I think it's still good, but personally I don't need to do that. I only play until the pokemon liga and maybe if I still want also some after events, but my goal was never to complete the pokedex, just to have fun.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I feel like my answer has been slowly gearing towards "no" each and every generation. The shiny charm is nice and all, but it's a rather excessive amount of effort catching what's going to eventually amount to 900+ Pokemon for one. x.x

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    See to me it seems like its a lot easier now a days to complete the Dex because of the fact that we have Poke Bank and all you have to do is save all your Pokemon in your Bank. Then once your ready just transfer everything and then just transfer it back to the bank and wait for the next game. Where as back in the day before Bank you had t save everything to the game and then trade one by one to the next game.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
    Years
    • Age 22
    • He/they
    • Oregon
    • Seen Mar 14, 2023
    Aside from the shiny charm, there isn?t much of a reward other than the satisfaction of completing it. Hopefully Gamefreak can add another incentive to make completing the National Pok?dex more appealing.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Not...really? I really don't think it is. Especially since, in most games, not Pokemon are even made available. ORAS was probably the last game I can remember that had over 100+ more Pokemon available after the postgame...honestly outside ORAS, I don't think I'd bother trying to catch them all?

Pokemon Bank/Transporter makes everything easier, ofc, since they're compatible w/all gen 6, 7 and virtual console games (idr if pokemon transporter is compatible w/gens 4 and 5 but) so, I guess, if I felt like renewing my Pokemon Bank subscription to eventually "catch them all", I really could? I'm just really not interested anymore these days in that.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Only for taking pictures tbh. If Rotom's Dex actually had a National Dex I feel like there would actually be meaning to catching them all.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I've never had the dilemma of having to catch 800+ Pokemon and for those who've done it on Kalos or later... I really give you props for persistence. I agree that in future generations, they should reward you handsomely for obtaining Pokemon from other regions.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Not really. I mean if you are a collector like me, you are going to complete the Dex. In Kalos, they got rid of the stars on trainers cards. And now the only reason to do it, is to get Shiny Charm. Especially now that they have, at least currently, gotten rid of the National Dex in Alola. But without the National Dex, there really isn't a point at all.

Pokemon Black and White was the first time I ever caught them all and I found it easy. So now... it is easy to complete anything especially with WiFi Trading and Poke Banks, so I continue to do it.

Years
  • I think so. I love collecting and completing my dex, even though the desire's been lessened a bit in gen VII due to lack of national dex haha. But I'm always a completionist, especially when it comes to Pokémon =)

Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2019
    I've played since gen I and never completed the Pokedex, but now I'm working on a living dex in Ultra Moon, despite the game not having a national Pokedex XD It happened because I reliased I actually had a lot of pokemon across my games, and Pokebank makes it easy to transfer them, so just chucked all in the newest game, and then why not try and fill those empty spaces? Lol

SnowPuppy

help
    Years
  • Yes, if you're willing to go through with it. Granted, I've only actually completed USUM's full dex- before gen 7 I was a dumb kid who managed to struggle to about 80% in X with no past games to transfer from, no second version, and no idea how to use the GTS. Basically got lucky with wonder trading and occasionally actually getting something via trade with a random stranger. Post-7, no national dex, so I did it but it wasn't really an accomplishment by then.

But if National Dex is back next game, I'll definitely do it. I'm someone who catches every evolution line I see, so I know I can. Having a full Pok?dex is enough reward for me.

Back