• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Minimum Character Requirement for Reputation Comments

Years
  • Well, over the time that rep has been recently restored, I have received numerous reputation points with with either no comment or a single character for a comment (both positive and negative), and it is quite irritating. It really doesn't tell me how I am behaving on the boards. It also does the poster no liberty, by making them seem like a noob or a troll.

So my suggestion is this: have a minimum character requirement for reputation. It obviously has the downfall of people just putting random spam letters, but if implemented, it could scale back on some of the spam rep that is given out.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
  • I personally think this is a good idea. I also tire of getting comments with just "Awesome" or "u suckz" or "lol nice". It really doesn't give me any feedback (which was one reason rep was invented).

I'd like to see this be implemented, I think it'd make a nice feature.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    This is actually a very good idea i have to agree but wouldnt there be a chance people would find it a little thedious to give reasons every time?
    Also they might end up just saying 'Well done' for each comment and we'll be back to square one.

But i see where you are coming from it's a good idea

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    I agree that this is a good idea, and that it will cut down on the number of spam reputation, but at the same time is can be made to fail easily.

My suggestion is that they have a moderator/super mod who will review reputations before they are actually received by a person to see if they actually follow the real point in giving rep. That can reduce almost all reputation put in a wrong way.
    I don't see why there being a mod for it can be that impossible. It isn't an impossible task, is it?

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    My suggestion is that they have a moderator/super mod who will review reputations before they are actually received by a person to see if they actually follow the real point in giving rep. That can reduce almost all reputation put in a wrong way.
    I don't see why there being a mod for it can be that impossible. It isn't an impossible task, is it?
    Probably not impossible, but probably really tedious.

Also, I would imagine a bunch of fiilllllers.

Last edited:

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    It seems like a pretty decent idea but then people could then just do something like "Nice filler filler filler* but still it could work :)

It isn't impossible but who wants to sit at a computer monitoring rep for a few hours? It's would get really boring and not many people would want the job :/

Years
  • We could get a Rep Mod. I don't mind the idea, but there would have to be a solution to filler text. Another, more controversial idea is to get your right to Rep people approved first. That cuts down the people who decide to sporadically rep anyone and everyone for no reason and it should up the quality of the advice given.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I'd want the job. XD

I like this idea. I, too, receive some reps with just 'lol' or something. It's annoying.​

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    We could get a Rep Mod. I don't mind the idea, but there would have to be a solution to filler text. Another, more controversial idea is to get your right to Rep people approved first. That cuts down the people who decide to sporadically rep anyone and everyone for no reason and it should up the quality of the advice given.
    Well why shoud one person get to use rep and not the other?

bit.trip void

Time cannot e r a s e
    Years
  • We could get a Rep Mod. I don't mind the idea, but there would have to be a solution to filler text. Another, more controversial idea is to get your right to Rep people approved first. That cuts down the people who decide to sporadically rep anyone and everyone for no reason and it should up the quality of the advice given.

Spey 4 life.

Yeah, this is a good idea. :D. And also, there could be requirements, a la 1 month of PC, etc?

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013
    It seems like a pretty decent idea but then people could then just do something like "Nice filler filler filler* but still it could work :)

>Feelings< said:

It isn't impossible but who wants to sit at a computer monitoring rep for a few hours? It's would get really boring and not many people would want the job :/

Mmm, I don't know too much about PC's coding but I'm not sure they could do something like a min. character count without causing another slew of problems on top of it. There's no point in assigning someone whose sole existance is to watch over the rep because, at least in my opinion, it makes it seem like us pc'rs are little kids who have to be watched constantly so we don't impale ourselves on something. :/ Besides, knowing how theses sites tend to work with permission masks, it might be a hassle to set up seeing as it could have all sorts of little catch 22s we don't know about. I don't know, I'm honestly not really familiar with vBul. I think we honestly just need to learn how to discuss things like proper children adults. Do we really need some specifically designed for rep on staff when the problem could easily be fixed by us just keeping our mouths shut? Think about it. :/ It seems a little audacious and over the top to staff someone for something as miniscule as this, ne?

Last edited:

HarrisonH

I doubt Pokemon will be a hit
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 1, 2013
    I agree with this. It wouldn't even be too hard to implement

Code:
    if (strlen(trim($_POST['rep'])) < 15) {
    // Tell the person it's not long enough
    } else {
    // Do what it does now
    }

Of course, do it with the right variable.

Zet

Years
  • Good and bad idea, good because it stops people spamming rep and bad because not many words are needed to be said about said rep'd post

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Now I wish there was something that could catch fillers and make the rep useless. But that can't happen. The best thing would be to just remove rep system at total.

And the mods for it doesn't have to be new ones, just a few of the older ones doing the job together. Is there actually too much rep given and taken everyday to sort out in one day?

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Good and bad idea, good because it stops people spamming rep and bad because not many words are needed to be said about said rep'd post

But how hard is it to require 4 words/25 characters? How hard is it to implement a bit of php coding which enforces that by counting words/characters?

I don't think it's a hard thing to do myself, but I can see the point of not wanting it. It'd just be another rule that'd have to be enforced, and it's difficult enough for mods to enforce our current rep policies. Personally, I think a rep report link might be useful, so that way people can easily turn in rude/flamish/trolly rep comments. But that's a whole other can of worms when it comes to coding, but I'm sure it wouldn't be impossible to implement.

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
  • I would love to see this happen. I tire of getting reputations saying 'No.' or 'Lol'
    It tells me nothing about what I have done right or wrong, and therefore, does not help me better myself.

Sajuuk

http://forum.hpcommunity.co.uk
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    Yeah, I totally agree with this. When I had rep, I had one rep comment that just said "Fail". I mean, how the hell is that meant to help me improve? Not a bit,. That sucked big time.

I have to say, get this implemented. This would count nothing amount to spamming rep comments if such stupid comments were made if not implemented.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • My suggestion is that they have a moderator/super mod who will review reputations before they are actually received by a person to see if they actually follow the real point in giving rep. That can reduce almost all reputation put in a wrong way.
    Here's a little fun fact.... today alone there has been 182 people that's gotten rep. It can be higher, or it can be lower. But to have someone sit there, and look and judge every rep given... no way, no one would do that (or at least do it for long).

The way I look at it... the members can't deal with a character limit for rep. A lot of members can't even make posts 4 words or 25 characters. So I can't see people being able to type out some comment for rep.
    And I also think it's not needed because rep isn't to be taken serous. It's fun and all, but it's just to say "I dis/like this post" and to move on with. No deep thought, no hidden meaning, just to be looked at, to say "I got some rep" and to move on.

Zet

Years
  • But how hard is it to require 4 words/25 characters? How hard is it to implement a bit of php coding which enforces that by counting words/characters?

I don't think it's a hard thing to do myself, but I can see the point of not wanting it. It'd just be another rule that'd have to be enforced, and it's difficult enough for mods to enforce our current rep policies. Personally, I think a rep report link might be useful, so that way people can easily turn in rude/flamish/trolly rep comments. But that's a whole other can of worms when it comes to coding, but I'm sure it wouldn't be impossible to implement.

A rep report link would be sooo badly abused there would literally over 9000 broken rep reports a day

Back