• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things You Didn't Notice Till Later.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
  • With all the Pokemon Regions we have had. All the small details you could easily miss if you aren't paying attention. Especially when they change the regions so much. What are some of the non-mechanical things you didn't realize till much later?

This thread is inspired by the fact that I was looking at history and maps for older regions recently. There are some things that I never really noticed before.

For Kanto - I didn't realize there has been no history of ancients times for those games. The only history we have is that Mew was cloned and we got Mewtwo. That is really all. And while the Sevi Islands I think added some ruins, I don't recall there being a lot of history for it then either.

For Kanto - I didn't realize that Kanto originally was mostly plains. But they have slowly added more trees and by Gen 3, it was mostly foresty.

Kanto Again - I didn't realize that Cerulean City was at such a high elevation compared to the rest of the region.

Johto - I never realized until this morning that Goldenrod City was actually coastal city. I also didn't realize it was so close to Olivine City. And the fact we should be able to surf between Goldenrod, Cianwood and Olivine.

KOZSTAR

Diabolical
    Years
  • It took me a while to realize this, but Kalos' geography makes very little sense. First up, we got Snowbelle City. This girl deadass sitting in the middle of Route 19, 20, Polemon Village, and Route 21, none of which have snow. What?

Also, Route 13. Its just south of Coumarine City, very much a coastal city, but Route 13 is a freaking desert... How?

I also had no idea that in Sinnoh, Canalave City is so close to the games beginning point, even though its one of the later gyms.

Years
  • Kanto Again - I didn't realize that Cerulean City was at such a high elevation compared to the rest of the region.

today I realized

It took me until this year to learn that Arbok had different patterns across old gens! I was so shocked honestly, even if they stick to the same pattern in more recent games.

I can't think of many things when it comes to regions themselves, but reading some of the above comments makes me realize there is probably a lot I didn't notice and still don't notice unless it's pointed out to me. :x

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I'll second the point about Kanto being mostly plains. I started at Gen III so I took it as mostly forest, it was only when I was reading only PokéSpe scans that featured the old maps that I saw what they were going for.

I also never really understood that Hoenn was meant to be tropical - volcanoes can be in any climate, after all. Still, it makes a lot more sense than Battle Zone in Sinnoh!...which I personally would have preferred it it was snowbound, but easily navigable due to the heat from the volcanism melting any significant build-up.

Years
  • I never realized until this morning that Goldenrod City was actually coastal city. I also didn't realize it was so close to Olivine City. And the fact we should be able to surf between Goldenrod, Cianwood and Olivine.
    They could've added a beach at the west end of the city, which would've given it a lot more character. Don't know why they didn't though but oh well.

Anyway, it never clicked for me til later on in life, that Dittos were failed Mew clones. Makes sense why they're the only two who can learn Transform naturally.

Back