• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga suggestions for shows that make you want to not die

User Anon 1848

LOL best title ever. If I may ask, what anime led you to creating this thread? NGE? Berserk? The dreadful state of Dragon Ball Super? : P

As for suggestions... Hajime No Ippo is something that I try to recommend to everybody unless they have an aversion to sports anime. It certainly doesn't dwell on tear-jerking tropes if that's what you're looking to avoid. It does have some touching slice of life moments but I think those are what help it stand above other sports shonen. It's ultimately a very uplifting series. For comedies, Prison School can be funny if you don't mind immature gags or fanservice. One Punch Man season 1 was hilarious and I haven't heard anyone complain about season 2 so far. Everyone seems to love JoJo and Gintama. I enjoyed what I've seen of them so far, though I'm far behind on both.

Years
  • miru tights jk i dont watch that i promise. pls dont judge thank

no but srsly hitoribocchi always relaxes me and makes me laugh. also skilled teaser takagi-san

Years
  • Comfy stuff maybe? Maybe Bananya would be worth a watch. It's literally just a kids show about half-banana, half-cat creatures focused on one named Bananya. Flying Witch is a far more cohesive comfy series. As are both seasons of Non Non Biyori (I actually prefer Repeat to season 1, myself) Oh, and Konohana Kitan. Hinako Note is less stellar of a comfy series, but still comfy.

Or if actiony series work better, Halo Legends is fun if you can find it anywhere.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Ouran Host Club? It's a classic and it's quite humorous. Angel Beats, perhaps? It has an interesting premise and the characters are exuberant and wonderful!

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Comic Girls? Not sure if I've thrown it your way before, feel like I might've mentioned it, but it's one of those shows that's relatable almost to a fault and builds the MC (or you, depending) up as quickly as it tears them down as it builds them up again in a pretty great way. Lots of character progression and a really nice flow for a 4Koma (since it doesn't feel like one at all).

Wrote this thing a while back, easily one of the shortest things I've ever written so you don't have to worry about it being one of my usual text walls, but I wrote that off the heels of finishing it so it does a better job of painting a picture than I can. But it's a good time, highly recommend it since I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting to.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Finally, an anime thread for me!

I'll be sure to look into some of the recommended shows here. I'm constantly finding myself running out of material because I get bored fairly easily.

NanaelJustice

AbsoluteXandy
    Years
  • Inspirational mecha animes are always good in that regard lol
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is the most noticeable one due to it's massive popularity, but if I need suggest an specific anime it would be Top wo Narae! Gunbuster (6 episodes, 30 minutes each ) and Super Dimension Fortress Macross (36 episodes, 26 minutes each).
    Even both being 80's shows they still good up to this day and have a good charm.

Magical Girls shows are another thing I can't live without it. I would easily recommend Precure to anyone, It can seem a little scary because of the massive amount of seasons this thing have, but they are all it's own thing and don't really have a specific order to watch.
    In that case you can start watching Heartcatch Precure! or the currently airing Star Twinkle Precure.

QuietDragon

a wavering flower, a bird taking flight
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    I hope you are also getting the care you need, alongside these stories! No harm in living for the little things, the big ones will come your way too... if you can't have access to a therapist or even a good school counseller, people have made do for centuries before with religion and herbal remedies like St. John's Wort (this can be bought without a prescription, if you're not on any antidepressant drugs or medications that could interact badly—read about it, privately consult your doctor, be careful!)

Angel Beats!, if you can get past the wackiness and tolerate moe, is all about a bunch of unfulfilled kids coming to terms with their lives and moving bravely forward. At first, they're lost and VERY resistant, but they each find a little of what they need and the courage to move on.

A very cute and very funny show, the kids are goofy and playful teens, the comedy makes them relatable and helps it from feeling too heavy. It can be bloody, humour can be morbid.

Haibane-Renmei is a more serious story, slow-paced and calming in the second half, about angelic people hatched from a cocoon, with only a dream to identify with and link to their previous existence... living in a walled-off city where they know nothing of what lies beyond it, even books on religion and geography are denied to them.

The second half deals with one of these characters finally taking flight and leaving, the others mourn, and one falls into the depths of depression... a very heavy watch in the second half (it might not be the best to watch while suicidal, but others have had it help them—the author wrote it very honestly from his feelings of "salvation" on recovering from depression), but ultimately life-affirming.

The only warning aside from that is the process of growing wings is bloody and painful. One instance of body horror in the first episode. One act of bird-like self-harm in cutting own feathers (albeit with scissors)...

The movie Colorful is also about finding meaning in life, a soul gets another shot at life and an "angel" helps?

Fruits Basket is very beautiful and healing, with a lot of comedy and cute shoujo romantic elements so far. It has a vibrant cast, an intriguing mystery, and promises to go darker later, as each character had their own traumas and anxieties and issues to overcome. There's a beautiful reboot currently airing!
    The manga is complete and very inspirational and fondly remembered by its fans, the new reboot plans to cover the whole story!

Last edited:
    Back