• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[EM] Battle Engine Upgrade (On Halt, Will undergo reboot!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
it breaks save files like pokemon encryption breaks save files: by restructuring a part of the pokemon data to include more poke ball slots
the existing pokemon then have the index of their original ball x2, and this places some of the higher original indexes out-of-bounds

Ohhhhh I see, thank you very much. It breaks compatibility with in progress game save files, but still works with console and has the ability to save. Just cant be applied to an in progress game.

Bulbadon

Might or might not come back
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 26, 2016
Can't get mega evolution to work.
I edited the offset in the defines file to Gold Teeth offset, and made it so that Bulbasaur mega evolves into Venasaur while holding Red Shard.

When I went to try it out in game the little mega icon shows and disappears right away next to the Pokemon's name and the Pokemon doesn't mega evolve.

Trainer 781

I edited the offset in the defines file to Gold Teeth offset, and made it so that Bulbasaur mega evolves into Venasaur while holding Red Shard.

When I went to try it out in game the little mega icon shows and disappears right away next to the Pokemon's name and the Pokemon doesn't mega evolve.

Did you press start, when the trigger at the left pops out?

Bulbadon

Might or might not come back
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 26, 2016
Did you press start, when the trigger at the left pops out?

The trigger doesn't pop up, only the little icon next to the Pokemon's name shows and disappears randomly.

Trainer 781

The trigger doesn't pop up, only the little icon next to the Pokemon's name shows and disappears randomly.

It is working properly for me. Send me your save (and also a patch if possible for convenience).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 24, 2020
Hey, I tried using your enginge on some hacks Id like to replay with these changes included but unfortunately when Im trying change movesets I don't see any move or ability names but only some glibberish. Any idea wheres the problem. Since you want this to be dynamic I thought you might be interested in such issues.

It works perfectly fine with a clean emerald though.

Trainer 781

Hey, I tried using your enginge on some hacks Id like to replay with these changes included but unfortunately when Im trying change movesets I don't see any move or ability names but only some glibberish. Any idea wheres the problem. Since you want this to be dynamic I thought you might be interested in such issues.

It works perfectly fine with a clean emerald though.

The only problem might be the set of tools that you might be using. Use G3T to edit trainer movesets (don't forget to update the no. of moves to 1024 and ability to 255 in the ini) and PGE for pokemon learnsets (generate the ini from the instructions given in the forst post). You can use both to edit pokemon.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 24, 2020
Well, that's what my guess was too. The problem is that I did exactly as described in the first post. Generated the .ini for PGE which ended in the glibberish when checking movesets. Tried it several times with freshly downloaded tools and I'm not sure what's the problem since G3T can read the moves perfectly in Trainer and Move editor but is useless when trying to give the Pokemons moves new offseWell, that's what my guess was too. The problem is that I did exactly as described in the first post. Generated the .ini for PGE which ended in the glibberish when checking movesets. Tried it several times with freshly downloaded tools and I'm not sure what's the problem since G3T can read the moves perfectly in Trainer and Move editor but is useless when trying to give the Pokemons moves new offsets and I'm wondering whats the problem.

To summarize:
1. I took a (well, several) freshly patched rom hack
2. put it in the master folder
3. ran all of the python commands
4. I tried several PGE .inis as basis including at least 3 of the freshly downloaded PGE
5. I even tried to modify the .ini of G3T to be able to modify the moveset offsets from the pokemons

Well, I'm kinda clueless what else to try and was wondering if you had any suggestions.

Trainer 781

Well, that's what my guess was too. The problem is that I did exactly as described in the first post. Generated the .ini for PGE which ended in the glibberish when checking movesets. Tried it several times with freshly downloaded tools and I'm not sure what's the problem since G3T can read the moves perfectly in Trainer and Move editor but is useless when trying to give the Pokemons moves new offseWell, that's what my guess was too. The problem is that I did exactly as described in the first post. Generated the .ini for PGE which ended in the glibberish when checking movesets. Tried it several times with freshly downloaded tools and I'm not sure what's the problem since G3T can read the moves perfectly in Trainer and Move editor but is useless when trying to give the Pokemons moves new offsets and I'm wondering whats the problem.

To summarize:
1. I took a (well, several) freshly patched rom hack
2. put it in the master folder
3. ran all of the python commands
4. I tried several PGE .inis as basis including at least 3 of the freshly downloaded PGE
5. I even tried to modify the .ini of G3T to be able to modify the moveset offsets from the pokemons

Well, I'm kinda clueless what else to try and was wondering if you had any suggestions.

G3T doesn't support the new learnset style ( the one required for expanding moves beyond 512). Try downloading the latest build and try using default roms.ini provided by the latest PGE.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 24, 2020
Just did that. No success. Still gibberish.

Edit: What I could also think of was a mistake of mine when doing these steps:

* in the 'linker.ld' file change 'ORIGIN = 0x08F00000' to whatever location you want

* in the 'insert' file in the folder 'scripts' change default=0xF00000 to the same location you used before but without the bus(08-prefix)

In the insert file I put: 0x10E0000

What would be the corresponding value in the linker file?

Trainer 781

Just did that. No success. Still gibberish.

Edit: What I could also think of was a mistake of mine when doing these steps:

* in the 'linker.ld' file change 'ORIGIN = 0x08F00000' to whatever location you want

* in the 'insert' file in the folder 'scripts' change default=0xF00000 to the same location you used before but without the bus(08-prefix)

In the insert file I put: 0x10E0000

What would be the corresponding value in the linker file?

Add 0x8000000 to it which makes it 0x90E0000

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 24, 2020
Add 0x8000000 to it which makes it 0x90E0000

Out of curiosity: Why is that and what effect does it have? Dont bother if the answer takes too long for you to explain. Im just trying to get feeling about all that.

Anyway, unfortunately it didn't work either. :/

Btw: the same problem occured when I used your suggestions for glazed.

Trainer 781

Out of curiosity: Why is that and what effect does it have? Dont bother if the answer takes too long for you to explain. Im just trying to get feeling about all that.

Anyway, unfortunately it didn't work either. :/

Btw: the same problem occured when I used your suggestions for glazed.

There was a problem in the PGEinidump script, it wasn't properly converting the offsets when you attempt to insert it. I have corrected that. Re-download the PGEinidump file or the whole thing again. Thanks for identifying this!

The offset that you specify in the linker files is used to calculate pointer addresses (like battle scripts, routines etc.) for the new resources to be inserted in the ROM. The output is created as output.bin in the build folder.

The offset you specify in the insert script just tells where the contents of output.bin file is to be pasted in the resultant test.gba file.
Adding, 0x8000000 means that you are referring to data in the ROM region. Because some indicator is required to decide whether the data is going to be loaded from WRAM, IORAM, BIOS or ROM.

So the offsets specified in both the files have to be in sync.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 24, 2020
There was a problem in the PGEinidump script, it wasn't properly converting the offsets when you attempt to insert it. I have corrected that. Re-download the PGEinidump file or the whole thing again. Thanks for identifying this!

The offset that you specify in the linker files is used to calculate pointer addresses (like battle scripts, routines etc.) for the new resources to be inserted in the ROM. The output is created as output.bin in the build folder.

The offset you specify in the insert script just tells where the contents of output.bin file is to be pasted in the resultant test.gba file.
Adding, 0x8000000 means that you are referring to data in the ROM region. Because some indicator is required to decide whether the data is going to be loaded from WRAM, IORAM, BIOS or ROM.

So the offsets specified in both the files have to be in sync.

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

LCCoolJ95

Limited Capacity
Years
I decided to try out to see how the Mega Evolution works. Well...here's what's up:

I edited the defines.h file in the src so that the keystone is 0x26A, which is 618 in hex, which is my Mega Bracelet. I'll start with the Venusaurite as a test. Using G3T, I set the Special Value 1/2 to 139, since it's in decimal, not hex. In the extras section, I put 00000344, since that is the index number (in hex) for Mega Venusaur. I open up PGE (because I prefer that over G3T, no offense), and I set it so that Venusaur Mega Evolves into Mega Venusaur. Then I set Mega Venusaur to Revert back to Venusaur. I tried it out in battle, and nothing happens. I have the Keystone item I chose in my Key Items, I have the Mega Stone being held by Venusaur, and it doesn't work. Anyone know why this happens, or what I'm doing wrong?

Also, weird thing happens once you beat a Pokemon or run away. As the screen fades to black, the Mega Evo symbol shows up on the HP bar. That's kind of weird.

Trainer 781

I decided to try out to see how the Mega Evolution works. Well...here's what's up:

I edited the defines.h file in the src so that the keystone is 0x26A, which is 618 in hex, which is my Mega Bracelet. I'll start with the Venusaurite as a test. Using G3T, I set the Special Value 1/2 to 139, since it's in decimal, not hex. In the extras section, I put 00000344, since that is the index number (in hex) for Mega Venusaur. I open up PGE (because I prefer that over G3T, no offense), and I set it so that Venusaur Mega Evolves into Mega Venusaur. Then I set Mega Venusaur to Revert back to Venusaur. I tried it out in battle, and nothing happens. I have the Keystone item I chose in my Key Items, I have the Mega Stone being held by Venusaur, and it doesn't work. Anyone know why this happens, or what I'm doing wrong?

Also, weird thing happens once you beat a Pokemon or run away. As the screen fades to black, the Mega Evo symbol shows up on the HP bar. That's kind of weird.

What is the held item index no. for venuarite?I think we forgot to break the limiter.

LCCoolJ95

Limited Capacity
Years
The index number for my Venusaurite is 548 (0x224). I had a feeling that it might be that the Mega Evo doesn't support expanded items. I have the items going to 1000.

Trainer 781

The index number for my Venusaurite is 548 (0x224). I had a feeling that it might be that the Mega Evo doesn't support expanded items. I have the items going to 1000.

After compiling and inserting try putting: C0 46 C0 46 C0 46 C0 46 at xD7508 using a hex editor. This for breaking the item effect limiter which is set to 0x178. Do tell if this works or not.

LCCoolJ95

Limited Capacity
Years
After compiling and inserting try putting: C0 46 C0 46 C0 46 C0 46 at xD7508 using a hex editor. This for breaking the item effect limiter which is set to 0x178. Do tell if this works or not.
I just tried it, it didn't work. Is it because that Venusaur is trying to Mega Evolve into an expanded slot Pokemon? Do you want me to send a patch/ROM of my thing?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 24, 2020
Does editing movesets only work with PGE or is there any other tool that can handle it? Im asking cause editing movesets with PGE is very tiring since searching them is not really easy. (ie you cannot type the move name) Unless of course you have inserted movesets for all existing pokemons and I just havent found them yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back