• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[EM] Battle Engine Upgrade (On Halt, Will undergo reboot!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • This is not a patch, it is a buildable code. The instructions are already written in the first post to install this. Same procedure applies for installing the 255 lvl hack.

Thanks for your answer.
    Is it possible, to expand the Pokemon to up to 2000 with this programming technique?
    What about the box storage? Can that be expanded?

Sorry I need as much information as possible, because I want to decide, if I want to hack Fire Red or Emerald.

Trainer 781

Is it possible, to expand the Pokemon to up to 2000 with this programming technique?
    What about the box storage? Can that be expanded?

Sorry I need as much information as possible, because I want to decide, if I want to hack Fire Red or Emerald.

Well, currently in Fire Red the max no. of Pokemon expanded is 1020 and in Emerald it goes to 744. Box expansion is not feasible in a GBA hack because the save memory is quite limited and will require rewriting the save block from scratch which is very difficult and time consuming.

Years
  • Well, currently in Fire Red the max no. of Pokemon expanded is 1020 and in Emerald it goes to 744. Box expansion is not feasible in a GBA hack because the save memory is quite limited and will require rewriting the save block from scratch which is very difficult and time consuming.

Which rombase would you recommend?
    The 255 level code for Emerald really got me, to rethink my plans, to hack Fire Red.

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
    Years
  • Which rombase would you recommend?
    The 255 level code for Emerald really got me, to rethink my plans, to hack Fire Red.

They're overall very similar, but I would recommend Emerald.
    Just because this exists, and in my opinion a lot of the graphics are better such as the Pokedex, Bag and Pokemon stat screens. Plus it has benefits like the berry system and dynamic double battles.

Ultimately it's up to you though, as there are a few ASM features that are currently only for Fire Red such as Navenatox's amazing dynamic OW hack.

Years
  • They're overall very similar, but I would recommend Emerald.
    Just because this exists, and in my opinion a lot of the graphics are better such as the Pokedex, Bag and Pokemon stat screens. Plus it has benefits like the berry system and dynamic double battles.

Ultimately it's up to you though, as there are a few ASM features that are currently only for Fire Red such as Navenatox's amazing dynamic OW hack.

Tangential to something you said, but has much work been done on berry hacking and inserting the new berries? I know that you, KDS, and DizzyEgg plan to incorporate the berries' in-battle effect, but has anyone figured out how to insert a new berry for the game to use in its berry creation routines?

Years
  • They're overall very similar, but I would recommend Emerald.

What about the Pokedex limit of Emerald (744 Pokemon)?
    Is there a way, to implement more Pokemon?
    Lastly is it possible, to expand the Rom to 64 or 128 mb?

Years
  • For those interested in helping do animations

This is what I have gathered that has yet to be animated. I was actually very surprised and impressed by the number of animations done so far so kudos to Mr. DS. Many of these animations are complete in the Move thread but need to be ported to emerald, some have particles but need an actual animation (attack order, defend order, etc), some are completed and haven't been added in yet, some need particles, and some have nothing at all. ESPECIALLY signature moves like V-create and Dragon Ascent. Hope this helps anyone doing animations.

Please tell me if this list is off.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

pokefreak890

The One that will make everything great
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2023
    I want to know how while installing this how would I be able to expand the Pokemon using this and not spend 2 hours on the expand emerald tutorial just to do it? If there is can someone teach me how

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
    Years
  • Tangential to something you said, but has much work been done on berry hacking and inserting the new berries? I know that you, KDS, and DizzyEgg plan to incorporate the berries' in-battle effect, but has anyone figured out how to insert a new berry for the game to use in its berry creation routines?

For those interested in helping do animations

This is what I have gathered that has yet to be animated. I was actually very surprised and impressed by the number of animations done so far so kudos to Mr. DS. Many of these animations are complete in the Move thread but need to be ported to emerald, some have particles but need an actual animation (attack order, defend order, etc), some are completed and haven't been added in yet, some need particles, and some have nothing at all. ESPECIALLY signature moves like V-create and Dragon Ascent. Hope this helps anyone doing animations.

Please tell me if this list is off.
    Spoiler:

That list looks accurate, but I'll probably be replacing a few moves anyway that are currently done. Also as I said, regarding Gen 4 moves, I will be doing those very soon, so I would recommend some of the later ones. Also regarding moves that require particles and backgrounds, leave those to me. Some of those moves are also in my rombase so I can port them fairly easily.

Regarding research into expanding the Berry growth routines, unfortunately I'm not sure if any exists, and would tend to say no, as it is very complex. Though I believe it could be very easy to create some form of crafting system using the existing Emerald berries to make the new ones in the mean time. I would base this off of the berry mutation function from Pokemon X and Y to give you some ideas. I believe the main one's missing are the type berries, so it could make sense to also put them on Wild Pokemon for thief purposes.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Noticed KDS pushed to github last night, one of the commits had something to do with compiling on UNIX? Would you be able to elaborate on that at all, as I have not been able to compile and run the python scripts on my Mac.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • I wanted to give this a try just because I'm bored af, I just have one doubt so far related to the Mega Evolution:
    Which Special Values needs to be set on 8B? Special1, Special2 or both?
    (Just in case, I'm doing the edit through Item Manager, the value should be in decimal over there?)

Sorry if it's a silly question, but I've never ever had to touch those values before and with Touched's Fire Red Version you don't need to either, so.. yeah.. xD

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    This is an amazing resource, well done! It's great to have a way to add all these new features without creating an unreadable mess of ASM routines.

I've got a suggestion for a possible future feature: your current format for defining level up move sets is very beginner friendly, but adding new sets for expanded Pokemon (or just editing the existing ones) would be very tedious. Seeing as you're using the same move indices as the official games, you could add an option to import the level up moves directly from the level up garc file of the 3DS games instead. This would make updating to match the latest games incredibly fast and easy. If you're interested I'd be happy to provide the relevant garcs from ORAS (and eventually Sun and Moon).

I'm currently learning C++ and would like to contribute to this project if possible. I'm not quite sure how to get started using C with Pokemon ROMs, is there a resource around that I can read that is clear enough to give me a push forward so that I can help code stuff? Or, rather, is FBI's tutorial the only one around?

EDIT: Also, is it easier to do this in Linux or Windows?

EDIT2: Setup everything as FBI's tutorial suggests, so I'm ready to C in Pokemon. Doesn't seem too complicated, based on the C++ I already know. Is there something that I could immediately do to try and contribute?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Castform form changes should work now, Tangled Feet won't inherit some of Air Lock's properties, and Weather Ball should be working correctly in all situations. People may want to update if they want those fixes.

Nice fix, looked at the commit. So how did you know what was been done or has to be done? Did you just scan the code for incomplete functionality?

Nice fix, looked at the commit. So how did you know what was been done or has to be done? Did you just scan the code for incomplete functionality?
    Honestly, Dizzy held my hand through the vast majority of it. He specifically told me that Forecast was broken and walked me through fixing it. Finding the Tangled Feet and Weather Ball bugs was all me, but actually fixing them was Dizzy. Since we were working on Castform form changes, it made sense to do Weather Ball and the Air Locking Tangled Feet bug in the process, as I was testing Castform against a Tangled Feet Rayquaza, and Tangled Feet would prevent Castform's transforming but not secondary weather effects, which was obviously not intended. After Tangled Feet/Air Lock was fixed (turns out the removal of Cacophony shifted Air Lock down), we discovered a minor bug where Weather Ball's animation would change despite Cloud Nine/Air Lock being active, which Dizzy found a quick fix for. After all of that, Castform and Weather Ball should work great (and please open an issue if you find a situation where it doesn't).

Contributing to this is a bit harder than just elementary C++ coding, because you not only have to know the syntax of C, but you have to read code that you haven't written and figure out how things are working in-engine. Luckily, Dizzy is super open and helpful about it, and I'm excited to be combing over the code in my spare time so that I can get enough of a feel to contribute on my own, or at least ask intelligent questions.

EDIT: Also, the first post's todo list is woefully out of date. Could we perhaps have an accurate one that people who do pull requests update to remove whatever they did to the list?

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • I wanted to give this a try just because I'm bored af, I just have one doubt so far related to the Mega Evolution:
    Which Special Values needs to be set on 8B? Special1, Special2 or both?
    (Just in case, I'm doing the edit through Item Manager, the value should be in decimal over there?)

Sorry if it's a silly question, but I've never ever had to touch those values before and with Touched's Fire Red Version you don't need to either, so.. yeah.. xD

Hello? Is anyone over there? Someone could have a bit of mercy on me?

Years
  • Hello? Is anyone over there? Someone could have a bit of mercy on me?

I've never used that program, sorry. Could you check Kurapika's Gen3 Item editor? It's called 'extra' in there. Old Rod has it as 0, Good Rod as 1 and Super Rod as 2. Sorry it took so long to answer, I missed your question. :P

Game freezes after a battle when a Pokémon that can Mega Evolve, or a Mega Pokémon, levels up. Do you want me to send you my patch/ROM?

Interesting. Yes, you could do that alongside with saves, so it's easier for me to duplicate and possibly fix it.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • First of all: Wow.
    The test.gba ROM runs as fast as Pokemon Ruby, kudos for that.

Second, I've got a little problem <3
    I think I've almost made everything perfectly, but my current problem is that the Mega Evolution's sprite doesn't change instantly.
    Right now it is: Houndoom mega evolves into Mega Houndoom, and unless I go to the Pkm Menu inside the battle, Mega Houndoom's sprite doesn't appear, it stays as Houndoom's. Where did I messed up? xD ..

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back