• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [COMPLETE][pokefirered] Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen+

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Can you add letting us have the ability to VS seeker trainers in caves/forests etc? I always thought it was so ridiculous that you couldn't use it indoors. I'd really like to be able to train in victory road.

Also how exactly do gym leader rematches work with the spearow and the old lady? is it based off time or steps in terms of how long you need to wait until they appear in the basement?

And have you done a hack like this but for Emerald? if not, do you ever plan to?

Last edited:

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Can you add letting us have the ability to VS seeker trainers in caves/forests etc? I always thought it was so ridiculous that you couldn't use it indoors. I'd really like to be able to train in victory road.

Also how exactly do gym leader rematches work with the spearow and the old lady? is it based off time or steps in terms of how long you need to wait until they appear in the basement?

And have you done a hack like this but for Emerald? if not, do you ever plan to?

1. I'll consider it. It would require rematch rosters for every indoor trainer in the game, so it would be tedious to do.

2. Spearow will go and bring an invite to the gym leader you've invited. When Spearow returns, from that point on, the invited leader will periodically visit the Battle House to train. Their visiting is based on steps taken that are not in areas labeled "SEVEN ISLAND" (so anywhere not in the town itself). There is bad luck protection that will start guaranteeing visits after the RNG fails to trigger a visit a certain number of times. Gym Leaders will stay in the basement until they are battled and then they leave, wherein steps will trigger another visit. The sign outside the house will list which leaders are currently visiting so you don't have to actually enter the basement to see if you've triggered a visit.

3. No, but I may in the future. I have ideas for it, I just am short on time at the moment for projects like this.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    How many steps does it take and do different leaders take a different amount of steps to activate? also does using the bike count towards steps and does going downhill cycling road also count as steps? can I just walk in place against a wall and it will count as well? and can you fight characters other than the gym leaders in the basement? such as the E4?

And does the gym leader rematches get stronger and stronger or do they only get buffed that one time? and outside of the vanilla E4/champion rematch buff did you give them any further rematches outside of vanilla? sorry for all the questions.

Last edited:

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • How many steps does it take and do different leaders take a different amount of steps to activate? also does using the bike count towards steps and does going downhill cycling road also count as steps? can I just walk in place against a wall and it will count as well? and can you fight characters other than the gym leaders in the basement? such as the E4?

And does the gym leader rematches get stronger and stronger or do they only get buffed that one time? and outside of the vanilla E4/champion rematch buff did you give them any further rematches outside of vanilla? sorry for all the questions.

There is RNG involved in getting leaders to visit, so there is no set amount of steps to trigger visits until the bad luck protection kicks in and starts guaranteeing visits. If you want more info on how visits are generated, all the code is open source and you can look yourself.

The code counts steps. If you walk in place it does not count. The other scenarios you mentioned will count.

Only the first seven gym leaders can be fought in the basement, as Giovanni flees and is not seen again after his gym fight. The E4 and Champion rematches have been changed for Challenge Mode if you want to face harder versions of them. Save for the Challenge Mode changes to their one rematch, there are no further rematches for them outside of vanilla.

The gym leaders will level up to a maximum level based on your difficulty key. They all level up each time you beat one.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Should you be able to hatch eggs on routes you've already caught Pokémon in Nuzlocke mode? I ask because I gave myself an egg in PKHeX, then tested hatching it on Route 1 after catching a Pidgey. It was healthy and not fainted, then I caught another Pokémon on the same route and that one *was* fainted.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Should you be able to hatch eggs on routes you've already caught Pokémon in Nuzlocke mode? I ask because I gave myself an egg in PKHeX, then tested hatching it on Route 1 after catching a Pidgey. It was healthy and not fainted, then I caught another Pokémon on the same route and that one *was* fainted.

Eggs are wonky because if you're Nuzlocking I'm assuming you're not trading. Eggs that were generated on your savefile check/set the Nuzlocke flag for the location that the egg was originally obtained in when it is hatched. Without cheating, that would be Four Island, Water Labyrinth, or Resort Gorgeous. Eggs don't interact with Nuzlocke Mode at all until the moment they are hatched. If you cheated in a PKHeX egg and didn't set its met location correctly, then you likely set another location flag. Traded eggs (i.e. eggs that don't have your OTID) shouldn't check or set any Nuzlocke flags at all and should always hatch healthy, which could be another thing that happened with your PKHeX egg.

I'd need more information about the egg you generated with PKHeX before I can figure out if this was a bug. Do you still have the .pk3 file for the unhatched egg? If you do, that would be helpful.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Eggs are wonky because if you're Nuzlocking I'm assuming you're not trading. Eggs that were generated on your savefile check/set the Nuzlocke flag for the location that the egg was originally obtained in when it is hatched. Without cheating, that would be Four Island, Water Labyrinth, or Resort Gorgeous. Eggs don't interact with Nuzlocke Mode at all until the moment they are hatched. If you cheated in a PKHeX egg and didn't set its met location correctly, then you likely set another location flag. Traded eggs (i.e. eggs that don't have your OTID) shouldn't check or set any Nuzlocke flags at all and should always hatch healthy, which could be another thing that happened with your PKHeX egg.

I'd need more information about the egg you generated with PKHeX before I can figure out if this was a bug. Do you still have the .pk3 file for the unhatched egg? If you do, that would be helpful.

You're absolutely right, I'm an idiot and didn't set the location properly. I had set it to Route 5 instead of Four Island. Sorry for wasting your time, I must have got a legit egg I generated (Four Island) confused with that one and didn't do multiple tests.

Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2022
    First of all, I want to express my appreciation for you having taken the time & effort to make this; I plan on donating in a few weeks when I can afford to do so.

I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with. Please pardon my ignorance as I am brand new to the world of emulating.

Whenever I try to start the game, mGBA displays a blank white screen for a few seconds before crashing with the error message 'Jumped to invalid address: 0400FCA'. I have tried every possible configuration of the program settings, tried booting both whilst archived & extracted, tried redownloading the ROM, tried uninstalling & reinstalling mGBA, all multiple times to no avail. I simply cannot get it to run despite countless attempts.

I have 2 computers- one running Win10 & another running Kubuntu, both crash upon loading the ROM. The Win10 unit is a surface pro 4 (yeah yeah make all the jokes you want) which naturally uses an Intel HD Graphics 520 - is this the problem? I am able to run plenty of games so I never thought of it as an issue until now. The Kubuntu rig is a designated backup unit that lacks a GPU.

Am I missing a step/doing something wrong, or is it merely my potato computers that mGBA is itself unhappy about?

Any help would be appreciated!

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Can you help me understand your implementation of EV reduction berries compared to this commit - https://github.com/Kurausukun/pokefirered/commit/918711d058e2a24ce9f1f791030a36121090fa11
    You have ItemUseCB_ReduceEV and ItemUseCB_ReduceEV2, but it seems like both do the same thing? The only difference I can see at a glance is the lack of sub_8124DC0, which is the call to the item usage animation.

It has been so long that I really don't remember. I know that I straight-up copied the implementation from the pokeemerald of that time. I'm not sure if Kurau did this, but I also fixed the Pomeg glitch in my commit (and even automatically fix Pokemon affected by the glitch that are traded in), and that is probably the change that is most different from Kurau's.

How can I rematch gym leaders?

Go to the house on Seven Island. This will eventually be added to the FAQ, but see page 10 to see others who have asked this question and my answers to them.

First of all, I want to express my appreciation for you having taken the time & effort to make this; I plan on donating in a few weeks when I can afford to do so.

I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with. Please pardon my ignorance as I am brand new to the world of emulating.

Whenever I try to start the game, mGBA displays a blank white screen for a few seconds before crashing with the error message 'Jumped to invalid address: 0400FCA'. I have tried every possible configuration of the program settings, tried booting both whilst archived & extracted, tried redownloading the ROM, tried uninstalling & reinstalling mGBA, all multiple times to no avail. I simply cannot get it to run despite countless attempts.

I have 2 computers- one running Win10 & another running Kubuntu, both crash upon loading the ROM. The Win10 unit is a surface pro 4 (yeah yeah make all the jokes you want) which naturally uses an Intel HD Graphics 520 - is this the problem? I am able to run plenty of games so I never thought of it as an issue until now. The Kubuntu rig is a designated backup unit that lacks a GPU.

Am I missing a step/doing something wrong, or is it merely my potato computers that mGBA is itself unhappy about?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

I doubt it's potato computers that are the issue. When you say you redownloaded the ROM, I hope you're not trying to use some pre-patched version of this hack. You should download the patch from my link in the first post and apply it with a .bps patcher to a clean FireRed V1.0. If you are applying it to one of the later revisions of vanilla FR, that could be your issue. Never use pre-patched ROMs for hacks.

mGBA should autodetect the needed save type, but make sure it's set to Flash 1M in Tools -> Game Overrides before loading the ROM. I would also try to turn off the VBA bug compatibility mode in that same window, because that is not needed and can result in emulation inaccuracies.

Other than that, I'm not sure what the issue could be. You're the only one who has reported a white screen and instant crash. mGBA works fine for me, and the hack works on hardware.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2022
    Is there any way you could implement this No HM feature? If not could you confirm if it's compatible perhaps? This hack is my dream besides not changing HMs.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Is there any way you could implement this No HM feature? If not could you confirm if it's compatible perhaps? This hack is my dream besides not changing HMs.

You can always fork their repo and code it in yourself. I did that for my own personal project, and it took less than an hour.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2022
    Unfortunately I don't know anything about coding or how one would accomplish this. ☹️

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Is there any way you could implement this No HM feature? If not could you confirm if it's compatible perhaps? This hack is my dream besides not changing HMs.

This is something I went back and forth about over the course of development and decided to keep HMs as a thing, but reduce how reliant the player is on navigating with the bad ones. I have made it so Cut trees stay cut permanently, and boulders that directly block progress through an area (in Victory Road and Mt. Ember) are moved permanently, so once you've cut all the trees (there are only four in the whole game that directly block progress if I recall correctly), solved the Victory Road boulder puzzle, and moved past the Mt. Ember boulders, you don't need to use those HMs again outside of optional pickups. In reality, the only HM you absolutely need after doing this unless you're planning on going to specific places is Surf (though, you'll probably want to keep Fly). Dive areas are all optional and don't have any trainer battles in them, so there is no need to bring a full team. Waterfall is only used in the field in Icefall Cavern. Flash is only used in Rock Tunnel. Rock Smash is entirely optional (though if you want Shuckle you'll have to teach it to someone). Strength and Cut I explained above. I eased the HM inconveniences as much as I could without completely gutting the Gen 3 flavor.

VolcanicDynamo

Bringing the Fire (sans Fire Types)
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    Made an account after lurking for a while to say that I enjoyed FRLG+ immensely. I experienced almost everything the game had to offer and I had a blast throughout. Cleared the game on Challenge Mode, completed the expanded Pokedex, and spent over a dozen hours on the Battle Tower alone.

FRLG+ succeeds at keeping the core of the game faithful to the original release while expanding on it with a better postgame and tons of new features. Challenge Mode was a fair difficulty, the key system was a good way of letting the player tailor the experience to be as vanilla or as customized as they want, and the additions to the postgame did a great job of rounding out the package while not feeling out of place.

Thank you for the over 100 hours of fun I had playing this hack!

Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2022
    My technical issues have been resolved. I was going about the process incorrectly. Thank you for clarifying. Again, like I had mentioned previously, expect a donation from me in a few weeks.

Like so many other people here, I can't express what a joy this hack is to play. The multitude of QoL improvements are too numerous to list but they are appreciated nonetheless. This hack is manifest of what FR/LG should have always been in the first place; a perfect representation of the experience I have been seeking since childhood. I have ~15 hours so far with no bugs or crashes.

Bravo!

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2022
    Is there a way for us while in the game to get trade only Pokémon such as Alakazam or are those impossible to get?

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    What are the level caps for challenge mode I couldn't find it in the notes.
    so far I'm saving in front of the leaders and scouting, but this feels like cheating so i would like to no the level caps for nuzlocks.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Just wanted to say I'm enjoying the hack! I felt like steam-rolling through the game this time so...2.0X exp. and Easy Mode it is! Totally breaks the balance of the game, but I'm having a lot of fun so I don't really care. Plus I REALLY don't miss how grind happy vanilla FireRed is.

Back