• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [COMPLETE][pokefirered] Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen+

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2022
    Hi,
    I'm new to Rom hacks and I have some questions regarding this one.
    1.does the normal difficulty harder than vanilla?
    2.how hard "Challanger" mode compared to Vanilla?
    3.how to evolve pokemons like haunter,kadabra and such?
    4.does changing mid game to leaf green means I will encounter green only pokemons in the routes?
    5.can I find in the wild gen 2-3 pokemons aswell?

So far enjoying it alot. Got to misty but lost 😒 So I have to train more b4 fighting her again

VolcanicDynamo

Bringing the Fire (sans Fire Types)
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen yesterday
    Hi,
    4.does changing mid game to leaf green means I will encounter green only pokemons in the routes?

So far enjoying it alot. Got to misty but lost 😒 So I have to train more b4 fighting her again

Not the hack creator, but I can answer all these questions...

1. Normal difficulty is on-par with Vanilla, difficulty wise. I'd say it's a little easier since you have access to things you don't have in vanilla (Johto evolutions of Kanto Pokémon, unlimited TM usage, reusable move tutor moves for a fee).

2. Speaking as someone who played through Challenge Mode, it's a decent jump in difficulty up from the original game. Trainers are just boosted in level, but all the gym leaders get an additional Pokémon and the move set changes can make a lot of them much more...well, challenging. It's not some impossibly difficulty, though, thanks to the hack's additions.

Doing double duty for this next one...
    Is there a way for us while in the game to get trade only Pokémon such as Alakazam or are those impossible to get?

3. You get an unavoidable key item in Silph Co. that lets you perform trade evolutions.

4. Yes, the FireRed/LeafGreen encounters are swapped when you change versions. You can change back at any time without affecting game progress, letting you access every Pokémon.

5. Besides the evolutions to Kanto Pokémon, Johto Pokémon and the added legendary/mythical Pokémon are accessible after you beat the Pokémon League.
    What are the level caps for challenge mode I couldn't find it in the notes.
    so far I'm saving in front of the leaders and scouting, but this feels like cheating so i would like to no the level caps for nuzlocks.

If I recall correctly...
    Brock: 15
    Misty: 22
    Lt. Surge: 26
    Erika: 31
    Koga: 46
    Sabrina: 46
    Blaine: 51
    Giovanni: 54

The Elite Four level cap (Assuming you use Lance as the basis) is the one I forgot. I want to say it's 67 (5 levels higher than the Gen 1 team)?

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Made an account after lurking for a while to say that I enjoyed FRLG+ immensely. I experienced almost everything the game had to offer and I had a blast throughout. Cleared the game on Challenge Mode, completed the expanded Pokedex, and spent over a dozen hours on the Battle Tower alone.

FRLG+ succeeds at keeping the core of the game faithful to the original release while expanding on it with a better postgame and tons of new features. Challenge Mode was a fair difficulty, the key system was a good way of letting the player tailor the experience to be as vanilla or as customized as they want, and the additions to the postgame did a great job of rounding out the package while not feeling out of place.

Thank you for the over 100 hours of fun I had playing this hack!

My technical issues have been resolved. I was going about the process incorrectly. Thank you for clarifying. Again, like I had mentioned previously, expect a donation from me in a few weeks.

Like so many other people here, I can't express what a joy this hack is to play. The multitude of QoL improvements are too numerous to list but they are appreciated nonetheless. This hack is manifest of what FR/LG should have always been in the first place; a perfect representation of the experience I have been seeking since childhood. I have ~15 hours so far with no bugs or crashes.

Bravo!

Just wanted to say I'm enjoying the hack! I felt like steam-rolling through the game this time so...2.0X exp. and Easy Mode it is! Totally breaks the balance of the game, but I'm having a lot of fun so I don't really care. Plus I REALLY don't miss how grind happy vanilla FireRed is.

Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you're all enjoying it! I'm also glad that someone is getting some mileage out of the easy mode and 2x experience for quick completion. That's basically the whole reason they're there. Seeing people mix and match the options to get what they're comfortable playing makes me feel like those design decisions were good ones.

Is there a way for us while in the game to get trade only Pokémon such as Alakazam or are those impossible to get?

Check the FAQ.

What are the level caps for challenge mode I couldn't find it in the notes.
    so far I'm saving in front of the leaders and scouting, but this feels like cheating so i would like to no the level caps for nuzlocks.

Challenge mode levels are as follows:
    Spoiler:

Is this something that I should add to the FAQ? You're the second person that has asked. Are level-capped Nuzlockes a common-enough variation of the ruleset to throw in the FAQ?

Hi,

VolcanicDynamo answered many of your questions already, but remember to read the FAQ as it answers a few of your questions and it'll answer many of the questions that you'll have coming up.

As an aside, while the Normal Mode is technically easier due to other QoL features, the player can choose to only use TMs once, cancel Johto evolutions, and not reuse tutors to get just the FRLG difficulty. Normal Mode makes no team or level adjustments whatsoever to the vanilla trainers.

Also, the Challenge Mode is set up almost exactly like B2W2 (right down to where the levels get adjusted), so if you've played that Challenge Mode then you'll see the similarities.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2022
    Thank you both Volcanic and Deokisho for the help!
    I will swap to challange mode when I get back home.
    Also I just realised it's just gen1 but you can get all of them+ the new evos for them :)
    For some reason I was thinking it's also with gen2/3 😅

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you're all enjoying it! I'm also glad that someone is getting some mileage out of the easy mode and 2x experience for quick completion. That's basically the whole reason they're there. Seeing people mix and match the options to get what they're comfortable playing makes me feel like those design decisions were good ones.

Check the FAQ.

Challenge mode levels are as follows:
    Spoiler:

Is this something that I should add to the FAQ? You're the second person that has asked. Are level-capped Nuzlockes a common-enough variation of the ruleset to throw in the FAQ?

VolcanicDynamo answered many of your questions already, but remember to read the FAQ as it answers a few of your questions and it'll answer many of the questions that you'll have coming up.

As an aside, while the Normal Mode is technically easier due to other QoL features, the player can choose to only use TMs once, cancel Johto evolutions, and not reuse tutors to get just the FRLG difficulty. Normal Mode makes no team or level adjustments whatsoever to the vanilla trainers.

Also, the Challenge Mode is set up almost exactly like B2W2 (right down to where the levels get adjusted), so if you've played that Challenge Mode then you'll see the similarities.

Yes Level cap is the most common addon to a nuzlock, as overleveling make nuzlocks too easy, that and no items during battle and set mode

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    It would be pretty cool if the Johto Pokemon used some of the newer Johto pokemon sprites from Crystal Dust for a future release. The ones that Luna are working on btw.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2022
    Just a quick question.

Is it intentional that Sun Stone and Moon Stone are no longer available for purchase after rescuing Lostelle? The last commit indicates that the "The fully-expanded Two Island shop now sells Sun Stones and Moon Stones.", but 'TwoIsland_Items_ShopExpanded3' doesn't seem to include them. It seems really arbitrary to lose access to purchasing these items based on an unrelated game event and since Repeat Balls and Timer Balls are purchasable elsewhere, it would make sense to drop them from this shop to keep them at level 3 upgrade IMO.

https://github.com/Deokishisu/FRLG-Plus/commit/4dbf2b4dcc2b53a415c25b29198a6fcab7d5b636

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Just a quick question.

Is it intentional that Sun Stone and Moon Stone are no longer available for purchase after rescuing Lostelle? The last commit indicates that the "The fully-expanded Two Island shop now sells Sun Stones and Moon Stones.", but 'TwoIsland_Items_ShopExpanded3' doesn't seem to include them. It seems really arbitrary to lose access to purchasing these items based on an unrelated game event and since Repeat Balls and Timer Balls are purchasable elsewhere, it would make sense to drop them from this shop to keep them at level 3 upgrade IMO.

https://github.com/Deokishisu/FRLG-Plus/commit/4dbf2b4dcc2b53a415c25b29198a6fcab7d5b636

If you're in a position to build the rom, you can edit the file and build the new code. This is what I would personally alter it to, but you could also drop other items as you mentioned.
    Code:
    	.align 2
    TwoIsland_Items_ShopExpanded3:: @ 8167738
    	.2byte ITEM_ULTRA_BALL
    	.2byte ITEM_GREAT_BALL
    	.2byte ITEM_REPEAT_BALL
    	.2byte ITEM_TIMER_BALL
    	.2byte ITEM_LEMONADE
    	.2byte ITEM_SODA_POP
    	.2byte ITEM_FRESH_WATER
    	.2byte ITEM_MOOMOO_MILK
    	.2byte ITEM_LAVA_COOKIE
    	.2byte ITEM_MOON_STONE
    	.2byte ITEM_SUN_STONE
    	.2byte ITEM_NONE
    	release
    	end

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Yes Level cap is the most common addon to a nuzlock, as overleveling make nuzlocks too easy, that and no items during battle and set mode

I'll add the levels to the FAQ when I get back to this, then. Thank you for the suggestion.

It would be pretty cool if the Johto Pokemon used some of the newer Johto pokemon sprites from Crystal Dust for a future release. The ones that Luna are working on btw.

I don't plan on changing any of the Pokemon sprites, as I feel that the FRLG ones are important to keep the vanilla feel. Plus, if I throw them in FRLG+, they'll feel less special when they're seen in CD.

Just a quick question.

That is not intentional. I must've added them to the wrong shop list. Thank you for this report, it will be fixed in the next release.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Just wanted to comment that I love a lot the idea and wanted to make a little suggestion. Recently I found a patch for fire red that makes the pokemon have individual color variation, I tried to use it with your patch but it didn´t work, would it be possible to make that idea make it to fire red plus?, i feel that it would help a lot to make the definitive fire red experience.

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2022
    A few questions I have
    1. How do I get to Johto after I become the Kanto champion?
    2. How do I get to Four Island?
    3. What Pokémon should the Master Ball be used on?

Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2022
    That's what I ended up doing. I was eventually able to compile, but there was some weirdness in the Makefile when compiling on WSL2 due to a the SeviiIsland5 folder not existing (case sensitivity?) and just made a copy of it called SeviiIsland5 (in camel case) lol. I'm not sure if this is an issue with my env or not b/c I don't do a lot of compiling using gcc.

tools/gbagfx/gbagfx data/tilesets/secondary/SeviiIslands5/anim/mossdeep_tree_base/0.png data/tilesets/secondary/SeviiIslands5/anim/mossdeep_tree_base/0.4bpp
    Failed to open "data/tilesets/secondary/SeviiIslands5/anim/mossdeep_tree_base/0.png" for reading.
    make: *** [Makefile:205: data/tilesets/secondary/SeviiIslands5/anim/mossdeep_tree_base/0.4bpp] Error 1

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Is here a breeding center available before the elite 4? I hated that in vanilla FR/LG that breeding was locked behind post game content.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Just wanted to comment that I love a lot the idea and wanted to make a little suggestion. Recently I found a patch for fire red that makes the pokemon have individual color variation, I tried to use it with your patch but it didn´t work, would it be possible to make that idea make it to fire red plus?, i feel that it would help a lot to make the definitive fire red experience.

Binary patches will not work with FRLG+. I'm aware of that feature, but since FRLG+ encourages trading with vanilla games it would be weird to have Pokemon traded in and suddenly be a different color. It also is a bit much of a divergence from vanilla for a project like this, imo. Thanks for the suggestion.

A few questions I have
    1. How do I get to Johto after I become the Kanto champion?
    2. How do I get to Four Island?
    3. What Pokémon should the Master Ball be used on?

1. There is no Johto.
    2. Just like in FRLG, become the Champion and finish Celio's tasks on One Island until you get the Rainbow Pass. With the pass you can sail to Four Island.
    3. Whatever you want.

That's what I ended up doing. I was eventually able to compile, but there was some weirdness in the Makefile when compiling on WSL2 due to a the SeviiIsland5 folder not existing (case sensitivity?) and just made a copy of it called SeviiIsland5 (in camel case) lol. I'm not sure if this is an issue with my env or not b/c I don't do a lot of compiling using gcc.

Not sure what's up with this. The project makes from clean for me with no errors. Glad you resolved it.

Is here a breeding center available before the elite 4? I hated that in vanilla FR/LG that breeding was locked behind post game content.

No. But if you want to play with bred mons, there are no trading restrictions so you can trade bred eggs in the moment you have the Pokedex. I won't be moving the breeding daycare to be earlier.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2022
    Is the Japanese exclusive e-reader content included in this rom hack? (Customizable trainer tower, e-reader battles)
    If not, could it possibly be included?

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • I had some free time, so I updated the FAQ. It now has information on Gym Leader rematches, the max levels of boss trainers in Challenge Mode for level-capped Nuzlockes, getting into the Key System Menu after starting a new game, and a note about the unavailable Volt Tackle Pichu. It has also been reorganized slightly.
    Is the Japanese exclusive e-reader content included in this rom hack? (Customizable trainer tower, e-reader battles)
    If not, could it possibly be included?

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the international Trainer Tower include all the Japanese e-Reader trainers and challenges already? I am admittedly not very familiar with the FRLG e-Reader content.

When it comes to the e-Reader battles that were slated for the house on Seven Island, that house was converted into a space to rematch Gym Leaders, similar to HGSS's Fighting Dojo. Were cards even released for this house in Japan? I'm under the impression that it's the equivalent of the house in RS Mossdeep that housed trainers scanned from the Pokemon Battle e: Series 1 set. Is that correct?

The e-Reader berries will definitely not be included, because they can mess with link compatibility and the functionality for them was stripped down quite a bit in FRLG. I'm not even sure if they were available as e-Cards for FRLG and Emerald in Japan.

I'm not opposed to putting them in, but if they're not different enough from the existing Trainer Tower functionality then I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

I'd be interested to hear players' opinions on the Trainer Tower in general. Do people play it for its own sake when they don't want one of the item rewards? I know that I didn't bother with it as a kid. Plus, the speed up options in FRLG+ kind of trivialize the timer.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2022
    Hey! Amazing work on this project, I feel it really is the best way to experience vanilla FRLG, plus, (get it lol) all QoL are such nice things that should've been in the official release.

But that aside, do you still plan to make it compatible with LG and 1.1 versions? I saw in the project parts from 3 years ago, but for what I've tested in my clear copies, all patch tools give me mismatch warnings.

Thanks in advance and thank you.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Hey! Amazing work on this project, I feel it really is the best way to experience vanilla FRLG, plus, (get it lol) all QoL are such nice things that should've been in the official release.

But that aside, do you still plan to make it compatible with LG and 1.1 versions? I saw in the project parts from 3 years ago, but for what I've tested in my clear copies, all patch tools give me mismatch warnings.

Thanks in advance and thank you.

Thank you for your comments.

I'm not entirely clear on what you are asking. Are you trying to patch the linked .bps patch to a LeafGreen ROM? FRLG+ is a singular project, and I theoretically could make a patch that could be applied to LG (or anything, really. I could make a patch that results in the ROM over a blank .txt file), but with the general hack literacy of the PokeCommunity crowd I'm sure that would just cause confusion. The patch was made to be applied to a clean FireRed V1.0 ROM and should only be applied to that ROM. No patches meant to be applied to other ROMs will be released.

As an aside, I was not working on FRLG+ 3 years ago. You were likely reading pokefirered (which this project is based on) commits from when pret added support for building LeafGreen. If you attempted to build LeafGreen yourself with FRLG+'s repo, you would just get FRLG+ because I've removed all the compile-time flags that build a different ROM.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2022
    Well, thanks for the clarifications, I really misunderstood the project page's layout. I asked about other versions because I was doing tests with some "alternative" cartridges. Spoiler: Didn't work lol. But thanks again.

Back