• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
  • ATLETI, ATLETI, ATLÉEETICO DE MAAADRIIIID

Luckily all my Barça fan workmates left by halftime so the second half was just a OMGYES fest with my mate Alida and all the Argentines who joined in with us :'D

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2015
    ManU will treat this game like a cup final, and we'll have to, too. As they showed in the first leg, they've shown that they're not the same languid team that's struggling in the league. Plus we have some key injuries and suspensions.

We lacked ideas to break United down in the first leg which resulted in possession borefest. We'll have to drop deeper, force their slow defenders high up the pitch, and hit them on a counter. We'll have to be more direct in our play, too, instead of passing around when there's a more riskier but rewarding play. We're missing Thiago in that respect as well.

We have a slender advantage in away goals, but nerves will settle in if it's somehow 0-0 at 80+ minutes. We need to score first otherwise it can get extremely tricky.

The fact that Fellaini isn't known for his dribbling doesn't really matter in this case. It's still laughable how bad that is from a top division player.

Actually I'd say it's laughable to judge him on one or more of his lesser actions. :)

Fellaini's far from reached his best level in a team that's far from reached its best level this season. I know what he's capable of.

Years
  • Actually I'd say it's laughable to judge him on one or more of his lesser actions. :)

Fellaini's far from reached his best level in a team that's far from reached its best level this season. I know what he's capable of.

What's he capable of then?

Also can't you take a banter? If not then I see why you have to make such a big deal out of a gif... not trying to offend you or anything, just want to see where you're coming from.

Last edited:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • I guess a US based Bayern fan probably wouldn't have seen Everton play too often, especially before this season.

His main attribute was getting away with elbowing people. Other than that he was a good attacking midfielder with most of the attributes you would associate with one of those. He could pick a pass, retain the ball all be it with strength over technique, very good at taking early shots and he's a monster in the air. He often had freedom to roam around and bully people, I bet if you asked any premier league back line last season which player gave them their toughest afternoon he would be probably be it. He's not a defensive minded midfielder and Moyes knows that, not sure why he's persisting to play him as one.....Oh yeah, attacking midfielders are not what United needed.

Like our Wes, I think Fellaini needs to be in a side that is built around him or his talents go to waste. He isn't going to get that at united though, hopefully he moves on sooner rather than later for the sake of his own career.

Ivysaur

Years
  • Atletico vs Chelsea
    Real vs Bayern

Please. (We'll probably get Chelsea, our bogey team)

Apparently Courtois has a €3m clause in case we want to field him against Chelsea so *sigh* I'm starting to consider Madrid an acceptable draw for the semis. I just want Bayern for the final.

(Also I always find it a bit weird when someone refers to Madrid as "Real"- in Spain, Real are these guys)

Years
  • Fellaini's dribbling skills are legendary.
    Yes, because Fellaini is known to be a master dribbler with a Brazilian family background so it's totally relevant to make fun of his "dribbling skills". Oh wait...
    The fact that Fellaini isn't known for his dribbling doesn't really matter in this case. It's still laughable how bad that is from a top division player.
    Actually I'd say it's laughable to judge him on one or more of his lesser actions.

lol {XD}
    It still is a poor way to lose the ball. Nobody's judging Fellaini, anybody who does that deserved to be slated. Fellaini wouldn't be able to dribble past his marker even if the pitch was 400 metres wide. He should have simply knocked the ball inward and passed it back to a defender.

His main attribute was getting away with elbowing people.

And getting away with stamping on people.

images

Years
  • I guess a US based Bayern fan probably wouldn't have seen Everton play too often, especially before this season.

His main attribute was getting away with elbowing people. Other than that he was a good attacking midfielder with most of the attributes you would associate with one of those. He could pick a pass, retain the ball all be it with strength over technique, very good at taking early shots and he's a monster in the air. He often had freedom to roam around and bully people, I bet if you asked any premier league back line last season which player gave them their toughest afternoon he would be probably be it. He's not a defensive minded midfielder and Moyes knows that, not sure why he's persisting to play him as one.....Oh yeah, attacking midfielders are not what United needed.

Like our Wes, I think Fellaini needs to be in a side that is built around him or his talents go to waste. He isn't going to get that at united though, hopefully he moves on sooner rather than later for the sake of his own career.

Seen him play in some games for United. Is he an attacking midfielder? central midfielder? defensive midfielder? He seems to lack identity on the pitch. Have seen Fellaini with Everton in big games, but my main "concern" about Fellaini is that his best attributes are not centered around his actual footballing abilities such as ball control and dribbling, but rather his physicality. (Hell, if physicality is the only thing you need to be a good footballer, get some players from MLS and bring them to the PL! - or Adebayo Akinfenwa.)

For the record I mostly follow Bundesliga (though nobody really seems to care because it's "always a one horce race"), though sometimes I watch big sides in the Premier League and for the most part am neutral.

Years
  • Seen him play in some games for United. Is he an attacking midfielder? central midfielder? defensive midfielder? He seems to lack identity on the pitch.

He's quite versatile used to play in many different positions at Everton ranging from striker to defensive midfielder. Used to score some goals as well.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • He was best as an attacking midfielder imo. He isn't world class at anything but he can do most things to a good level, that added to his physicality is what makes him dangerous. But yeah, in a team with Mata, Kagawa, Januzaj, Rooney as well as Nani and Young he was never going to get a look in an attacking midfield position.

Also, Aero pls. I though I'd gotten popular when I saw 10 notifications.
    g1Umo6I.png

Years
  • He was best as an attacking midfielder imo. He isn't world class at anything but he can do most things to a good level, that added to his physicality is what makes him dangerous. But yeah, in a team with Mata, Kagawa, Januzaj, Rooney as well as Nani and Young he was never going to get a look in an attacking midfield position.

Also, Aero pls. I though I'd gotten popular when I saw 10 notifications.
    g1Umo6I.png

It's a bug, I imagine. I've been getting the same.

Ivysaur

Years
  • On a small note, today's EL games have been mental. Sevilla 4-1 Porto (0-1) and Valencia 5-0 Basel (0-3), with two red cards and 3 injured. This tournament never fails to entertain since they changed to their new format.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Man, old Norwich boys buying papers in shops in charge of pronouncing the manager's name correctly. As soon as Chris Haughton leaves we're managed by Neil Adnams. Amazing.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Not the thread for that but as you bring it up, I happened to stumble upon an Aussie Rules game on TV the other day. I've never been more confused in my life but it was amazing.

Real vs either side. I just don't want Bayern to win it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivysaur

Years
  • Which Madrid? ;)

If you ever call Atlético "Madrid", you are doing it so very wrong /touching a nerve.

It's the equivalent of calling Everton "Liverpool" because they happen to live in the same city.

In Spain, in fact, if you say "Madrid", nobody will ever blink or ask you "which one". Real Madrid is "Madrid", Atlético de Madrid is "Atleti/Atlético" and (bonus) Real Sociedad de San Sebastián is "Real". So, last week Madrid beat Real 0-4.

Bk70vp2IYAAJBnc.jpg

Last edited:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Ruddy
    Whittaker/Martin/Turner/Olsson
    Snodgrass/Fer/Howson/Johnson/Redmond - Don't really know how these will line up.
    van.Wolfswinkel

Tettey dropped from starting 11. Bassong, Yobo, Elmander and Becchio dropped from squad.

Well.....certainly drastic.

Back