• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Years
    If you ever call Atlético "Madrid", you are doing it so very wrong /touching a nerve.

It's the equivalent of calling Everton "Liverpool" because they happen to live in the same city.

In Spain, in fact, if you say "Madrid", nobody will ever blink or ask you "which one". Real Madrid is "Madrid", Atlético de Madrid is "Atleti/Atlético" and (bonus) Real Sociedad de San Sebastián is "Real". So, last week Madrid beat Real 0-4.

The Football Discussion Thread!

Ah, I did not know that, thanks. (also your quoting gave me 6 notifications)

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Barcelona loses. Now we can lose one match out of the 6 remaining and we would still be champions.

Also tomorrow an amazing PL day. If City win, the league is theirs to lose. If Liverpool win, it's theirs to win. If they draw, the end will be absolutely close.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Tipping Suarez to stab the ref in the Norwich game next Sunday and only get a yellow card.

Obviously the title is Liverpool's to lose now, and they will do so at Norwich next week.

Years
    Suarez scored 11 goals in 5 games against Norwich, expect him to score a hat trick next week.

In other news, Diego Costa misses a penalty. Still leading 1 nil.

Edit: ...and Costa scores to make it 2 nil...then gets injured.

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Years
    It's just a cut. It's not serious. It will be healed by next Friday. Simeone's words were "We'll only have to fix the post". Thank god.

It gets better and better with each passing day.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Aargh...as a United supporter I hate so much to see Liverpool win - I lost all respect for them with the way they've stuck by Luis Suarez: no matter how good he is a football, he still a biter, diver and all-round disgrace, he's just hiding it better this season - but I'm also glad they defeated City due to the triumph of a team who's actually developing players over a Qatari-funded All-Stars team.

I basically can't win emotionally with that match, although I'm a fan of Coutinho and you've got to respect Gerrard, he deserves a PL title, it's just a shame it has to be with Liverpool.

EDIT: Also, huge, huge fan of Brendan Rodgers. Like with Coutinho and Gerrard, it's just a shame he's got to be at Liverpool to do well.

Years
    It's just a cut. It's not serious. It will be healed by next Friday. Simeone's words were "We'll only have to fix the post". Thank god.

It gets better and better with each passing day.

And yet I still have the feeling neither team will eventually triumph. I can't imagine the status Simeone would get if Atleti managed a tremendous double (CL + La Liga) whilst beating both Barcelona to both (and potentially Madrid if they faced each other in the final). Still a little way to go for even one trophy yet though...

Norwich will beat Liverpool next week.

I might put a cheeky bet on that.

After my backing of Norwich to stay up, I can't withdraw it now even though it's looking like it will be difficult.

Welcome back Amore. I'm not particularly sure who I want to win the league either, it's a choice between various evils. Maybe Liverpool just to please a certain supporter.

Boro win again, whilst it's nice that we're not just losing our way through the second half of the season like the last two seasons, it is frustrating that we couldn't have put this run together when we actually had a chance of the playoffs.

This could be a very good time for Hull, the Europa League might be a path to some good progression if Allam doesn't withdraw his backing over the name thing.

And finally... this was just great.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Years
    And yet I still have the feeling neither team will eventually triumph. I can't imagine the status Simeone would get if Atleti managed a tremendous double (CL + La Liga) whilst beating both Barcelona to both (and potentially Madrid if they faced each other in the final). Still a little way to go for even one trophy yet though...

Atlético - Elche (15th): Should be a no contest.
    Valencia (8th) - Atlético: Probably the hardest game left, right between the Chelsea matches, but Valencia will be playing the EL semifinal as well (and that is their only hope to do anything worthwhile this season, since they are 8 points off an EL spot in the league) and they'll play Thursday VS Tuesday, so that's two more days of rest for us. And consider that they have even rested players today, almost two weeks before the tie!
    Levante (10th) - Atlético: At this point, their season is over already.
    Atlético - Málaga (11th): Pretty much the same, they only need another win for safety and they can go on holidays.
    Barça - Atlético: Barça have been utterly hopeless against us this year and if they drop any more points, chances are they won't even try if that means denying Madrid the title. Right now they are in a huge turmoil which is anything but good for a professional team and they still have to face Athletic and Villarreal.

And we can afford to lose one game and still keep the lead.

Last edited:
    Years
    Atlético - Elche (15th): Should be a no contest.
    Valencia (8th) - Atlético: Probably the hardest game left, right between the Chelsea matches, but Valencia will be playing the EL semifinal as well (and that is their only hope to do anything worthwhile this season, since they are 8 points off an EL spot in the league) and they'll play Thursday VS Tuesday, so that's two more days of rest for us. And consider that they have even rested players today, almost two weeks before the tie!
    Levante (10th) - Atlético: At this point, their season is over already.
    Atlético - Málaga (11th): Pretty much the same, they only need another win for safety and they can go on holidays.
    Barça - Atlético: Barça have been utterly hopeless against us this year and if they drop any more points, chances are they won't even try if that means denying Madrid the title. Right now they are in a huge turmoil which is anything but good for a professional team and they still have to face Athletic and Villarreal.

And we can afford to lose one game and still keep the lead.

On paper I suppose they're the favourites by a long shot then, but it's still just a feeling I have. Of course I'd be happy to see them win in the end though.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    After the recent game I'd rather Liverpool not win it. Skrtel's volleyball, Suarez being too entertaining to send off despite his obvious cheating and the media love in more nauseating than the one they had over Swansealona.

Come on Chelsea.

Back