• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Missingno

Status
Not open for further replies.

weirdo1

Like I care...
Years
  • missingno. is cool. You can get Alakazams without trading!

Oh sorry, Missingno is a Alazazam.

Last edited:
    Years
  • It's been a while since I last visited this site.

Well.. like in most Poke'mon games, there are glitches somewhere, even if they aren't MissingNo. or 'M Block. Although games today are far more advanced, that's not really the case. Point is, you may find glitches through Poke'mon cloning or anything related that may require your PC. Why don't you do some research on these weird glitches in Gold, Silver and Crystal?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Forgive me for bringing up old posts, but...

~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~ said:
    But most of the time Missing Numbers come as Alakazams. They come in Glicthy style

To clear something up, no, Missingno is not an Alakazam, glitch-style. Missingno is a filler glitch for when the game summons a Pokemon that doesn't exist. The game can summon an Alakazam if you follow the same steps of the Missingno glitch and have fulfilled a certain requirement (have the third, fifth, or seventh letter of your name be V, meaning it's not even a happening that occurs most of the time), but unless you see a Kabutops fossil, an Aerodactyl fossil, or a block of static labeled "Missingno," it's not a Missingno.

Not to mention Missingno doesn't have Alakazam's stats or movepool. Yes, I've experimented with TMs/HMs and Missingno. Provided momentary amusement, it did, but Missingno just wasn't that great of a Pokemon itself. I'd much prefer the Alakazam when it comes to stats.

Also, in answer to your question about GSC Missingno, if I recall correctly, they appear as large squares of static.

Last edited:

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Kazeto Tamashii said:
    Forgive me for bringing up old posts, but...

To clear something up, no, Missingno is not an Alakazam, glitch-style. Missingno is a filler glitch for when the game summons a Pokemon that doesn't exist. The game can summon an Alakazam if you follow the same steps of the Missingno glitch and have fulfilled a certain requirement (have the third, fifth, or seventh letter of your name be V, meaning it's not even a happening that occurs most of the time), but unless you see a Kabutops fossil, an Aerodactyl fossil, or a block of static labeled "Missingno," it's not a Missingno.

Not to mention Missingno doesn't have Alakazam's stats or movepool. Yes, I've experimented with TMs/HMs and Missingno. Provided momentary amusement, it did, but Missingno just wasn't that great of a Pokemon itself. I'd much prefer the Alakazam when it comes to stats.

Also, in answer to your question about GSC Missingno, if I recall correctly, they appear as large squares of static.
    No its okay. But thanks for clearing and correcting things up for me.

:t094:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Oh, I've found Mssingno before. But the only reason I did was because I had no idea what it could do to your game; I only found it because I was trying to do that rare candy trick that someone told me about and anyway, I was only about 9 or 10 at the time, I had no idea about what glitches were. After seeing it, like everyone else, my Hall of Fame went really glitchy, so I thought I'd see what happened if you caught it. When I did all the graphics for the people went weird, like the hand was the wrong way on the trainer. But it didn't delete my game. It ended up that I had to release it so it wouldn't stay glitchy, but I can't rememember if I saved after I caught it. Anyway, catching it hasn't done any lasting damage to my Red version.

Someone asked if Missingno would be as popular if they made it a real pokemon. I don't think it would be, what's so great about it is that its kind of mysterious and makes odd things happen, and that's why its so popular. It obviously wouldn't have fun glitchy stuff in if it was real.

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2006
    Koi_Rebekka said:
    Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! A topic about MISSINGNO! I was once called the MISSINGNO collector....:) 57 MISSINGNOS

i once caught 46 missingno in a row when I was bored. they're easy to catch

TheUltimateFish

Super-Evolved Fish
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2006
    SETH_xd001,
    As is mentioned earlier in this topic, Missingno. occupies some of the data slots not used by Pokemon, Trainers etc. In GSC, however, these slots ARE occupied, and so [if the Missingno. or 'M trades OK without glitching] it will transform into the Pokemon whose data slot it occupies. In your case, that was Ditto.

Years
  • Once, while doing that glitch, I found a level 326 Starmie. I caught it, lol. When I used it in battle it went back down to a 100.

I love the Missingno glitch. It is so fun to do when you're bored.

:t334: CaptainBrain

Umasd

I-Am-The-Law
    Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2006
    This is how to get Mew....
    The Mew glitch can be activated in this manner:

1) Obtain a Pokémon with the move "Fly" and fly to Lavender Town.
    Travel to the left of Lavender town and stand in front of the door of the underground tunnel.

2) Take one step down while holding the "start" button. The menu should pop up.

3) Use Fly to fly to Cerulean City. If this step is correctly executed, the trainer below the house should have an exclamation point above his head. This Gambler will probably have been defeated by the time you can fly, therefore it's important not to beat him until you have obtained the HM "Fly".

4) From the moment you flew away from the juggler, you can't use the menu again, and you will not be able to save.
    5) Walk across the Nugget Bridge to the trainers before Bill's House.

6) Walk above the Youngster with a Slowpoke. Do not talk to this trainer; it results in game freezing. He will attack you if you haven't beaten him yet; so make sure not to defeat him before getting fly.

7) After defeating the Youngster, fly to Lavender Town and proceed to the left.

8)While proceeding to the Gambler the menu will pop up on its own. You can save now.
    Press B to dismiss the menu. If the above steps have been followed properly, a level 7 Mew should appear, with Pound as its only move.

And this is why it happens

The Mew glitch occurs due to a minor programming oversight. When the player steps down towards the Gambler, normally a battle would occur. When the player flies away, however, the battle does not occur. The game does, though, store the data, signaling for a battle occurring near Lavender Town.

When the player fights the Youngster, the battle data for the Gambler is overwritten with the battle data for the Youngster. Due to the way the game reads battle data, the Slowpoke's special stat of 0x15 (21 decimal), or indeed the special stat of your Pokémon the Ditto transformed into (should be 21 to make Mew appear) is placed in the same location that codes for a wild Pokémon.

Returning to Lavender Town, the game attempts to resume the previous battle but using the new data. By accessing the hexadecimal value 0x15, the game loads the battle data for Mew.

Taken from wikipedia.org sorry if it has already been said

Wild Missingno.

ROM King
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2006
    Alright....hey i'm new here. Ok here is ALL the info you ALL will need on Missingno.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missingno.
    Enjoy.
    Also for those of you who use a ROM or a Gameshark here is the code to when you encounter a wild pokemon, it will be a missingno.
    01B6D8CF

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
  • If you don't know, don't post (especially when you said you knew in your first sentence). Or, read what you type before you post.

I never did use the Missingno glitch, didn't want to risk my gamefile being corrupted.

Wild Missingno.

ROM King
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2006
    Guys, listen up. Missingno. IS NOT THE OMFG LIEK 4TH LEDGANRY BIRD WTF!!?!
    When Nintendo was asked about Missingno., they had this to say....

"When players capture MissingNo, their game can perform strangely, and the graphics will often become scrambled. The MissingNo Pokémon is most often found if the player incorrectly performs the "Fight Safari Zone Pokémon" trick. To fix the scrambled graphics, try releasing the MissingNo Pokémon. If the problem persists, the only solution at this time is to re-start the game. Using the "Fight Safari Zone Pokémon" trick in other areas may cause the MissingNo quirk. If the directions are followed, it will work."

THERE! It is NOT THE FOURTH LEDGANRY BIRD OMFG LEIK WTF!?!?1?

If you read that Wiki artical I posted YOU WOULD HAVE KNOWN!

Also if you don't want your game fudged up, Google Game Boy Color EMU and you should find some of those...i personaly use GBG Ver 10.3
    For the Game Google Pokemon Red(Or Blue) ROM

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    I have tried to trade MissingNo to Silver version on several occasions. The trade never went through, but Missingno appeared once to be a Miltank, once to be a Magby, and once to be a Sudowoodo. I believe it has something to do with the hexidecimal code of your name.

Rioku_Zanketa

...::Ultimate Warrior::...
    Years
  • I'm glad the game boy universe isn't real....I mean, to find out that the poke'mon world you live in is completly normal,mother,rival,ect. all real,then you come across a glitch....that's sad...

anywho,I caught a lvl.506 scyther from the trick...I forgot how,and when I used it,of course,it went back to 100.....missingno. is kinda funny,but at the same time,creepy....ESPECIALLY 'M.....that one's just down right evil.....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back