• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Missingno

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKrystal

Master/Future Gym ******
    Years
    AmpharosLightning said:
    I'm not sure, but there is such thing called ?????.

Missingno
    ????? vs ?????.

Missingno
    Lv 23 EGG.

Missingno
    GSC Glitch City???

How'd you GET those? They're AWESOME!

SRV

Years
    • Age 34
    • N.B.
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    DarkKrystal;

Don't double post. In the future, just use the Edit button. :)

Shadox

The dark one
    Years
    I heard that if you go to the back yard of the house that doesn't get robbed and search around you will find a rare candy.If you then fly to Cinnabar and do the Missingno cheat for long enough, you will get infinate rare candys!Try it.

Years
    Um, I dont know about were to post this, but it involves Missingno., so here we go

First of If any one has the R/B BETA roms, if they were found, do they have the beta names, eg Abra=hocus, and can you pm me were to get them?

I know for a fact, flying was bird in the BETA, like most names, changed in release editions, so that parts true, about "bird"

The beta was written over, in the JPN editions, after getting all 150, you get MEW(duh!!!), I am assuming Missingno. is the result of taking this out, this is strange because there is nothing like this in Crystal.

Therefore NINTENDO Of AMERICA's fault for not just doing a translation, a hacking instead(I call this a hack, US/E R&B)

I have been told by many that Y was written by itself

R also had all its pics changed to JPN Blue special Ed.

so if they did it in the JPN way, we wouldnt be ANGERY/happie

EDIT I found my JPN copy of G/S/C and noticed they changed the stats screen and format of the battle menu for the english release, If they did that in G/R/B, might explain a bit...

Last edited:

DarkKrystal

Master/Future Gym ******
    Years
    About the "Bird" type

I play the ROMs, and my friend sent me one that was complete Engrish. It was Pokemon Blue. But I have a theory.

When I played it, things were different...Glitchy. I thought it was a joke! In fact, the man in the top hat in the Viridian City Pokemon Center says "You can use that PC over there in the corner... It was my dead brother's *sniffle". So I automatically assumed it was a joke version. But it was also glitchy - Ratatta... Rattata.. Um, however you spell it, I forget at the moment - his name was like... "W(minor glitch)Y(big glitchy boxy thing)R" or something like that. And at the beginning, the Professor calls his grandson rude rather than just saying he's your rival. You also get different name choices. And another thing! Professor Oak's name is Professor Orchid! Also, all the beginner pokemon's names are actually nicknames! (e.g. Charmander is Liz, Squirtle is Trtl). And all the descriptions are really lame and kind of funny.

But here's the part you might find interesting.

When Pidgey attacks in this screwy version, it's name is Byrd. You got it.

I have a theory that this is a pirated version of a first-attempt Pokemon Blue, that's been screwed around with.

If anyone's interested, e-mail me at [email protected] and I will send you the ROM (and an emulator if you need it), as well as some screenshots and junk.

It@chi Bl@st

Lone Trainer
    Years
    I have a cheat!:cool: If you want to encounter a ghost or a skeleton MISSINGNO., then restart your game. Then you name your self as Okwayix or Zawayix. After that, play your game as normal until you arrive at Cinnabar Island. Do the missingo. trick and you will encounter a ghost/skeleton MISSINGNO. You know why? Cuz your name hase a w in the 3rd letter in your name, a y in the 5th, and a x in the 7th letter. you can encounter a Kaputops or a Aero skeleton and even a Ghost from the tower of Lavender Town. It's cool cuz you can catch it and it doesn't muck your game. And if you wanna teach your MISSINGNO. Fly and it is not able to learn fly, Then go to your Pokedex and find a flying type pokemon that can learn fly, you can now teach your ghost/skeleton MISSINGNO..:cool:

Years
    Some MissingNo. Information

Do you think MissingNo. is an evil "Poke'mon"? Is its intentions really on destroying our game data and possibly corrupting it permanently? Some say yes, some say no. Others probably don't even know who, or what, MissingNo. is. Few do. I am on of those who isn't afraid to experiment a little. I am known as the MissingNo. Wrangler, because I literally capture them and try to figure out more about their strange effects and powers; what they can learn, and what they can't. This is all something I wrote to explain MissingNo..

MissingNo., or Ketsuban, in Japanese which means "Missing Number", is an unknown Poke'mon. But, this MissingNo. 'character' is arguably the most well-known Poke'mon glitch.

There are tons of different rumors about MissingNo., but I've only chosen the most reasonable ones.

- Some have suggested that MissingNo. was going to be the fourth legendary bird, but it was left in the making. Possibly Ho-Oh? I recall seeing the first episode of the Poke'mon series. Ash saw a glittering rainbow Poke'mon flying in the sky that closely resembled a Ho-Oh. Perhaps the game designers decided to save this creature for the second generation of Poke'mon.(?)

- The game has a total of 255 slots, which contains information including items, Poke'mon, and other related matters throughout the game., but MissingNo. is in slot 256. The game doesn't know about this particular Poke'mon until it runs into this (Hexidecimal) code, but its number is 000 (all Poke'mon have a particular code depending on their number in the Poke'dex. Pikachu's number is 25, so this tells the game to go find yellow tiles, etc.). And then, since the number is 000 and that there is no particular code for MissingNo., the game tricks itself into grabbing random information (patches of grass, houses, people, text, etc.) and putting them all together because this is what it thinks MissingNo. is made of.

- MissingNo. is supposedly a gaming oversight that was never removed in the final version. In the beta version, it is said that MissingNo. was purposely added to the game to aid the game designers in testing. (MissingNo. probably gave them items straight away instead of having to look for them themselves, and also probably helped the designers construct the Poke'mon battle scenes and animation.)

- Depending on your name, MissingNo. my or may not apear. This is mainly due to the hexidecimal values in your character's name. The more symbols (?, ., !, etc...) in your name, the higher the chance of a trainer appearing on Cinnabar's Coast for no apparent reason. This trainer will usually have random Poke'mon who will battle the trainer. The trainer, along with other glitched Poke'mon (like MisingNo. or over level 100), will sometimes attack with moves named after TMs, such as TM42, which can possibly crash the game.

- Finally, in the beta version of R/B (Red and Blue), there was orginally going to be a land path to Cinnabar instead of an ocean route. This is where MissingNo. would be caught.

MissingNo.'s types are Bird, (probably the beta version of Flying-type) and Normal. It knows the move Water Gun more than once (which is impossible for other Poke'mon) and Sky attack. MissingNo., if placed in the PC then withdrawn, will probably evolve into a Rhydon. Yes, just encountering MissingNo. will ruin your Hall of Fame data, but as you should know, this will leave an increased amount (by 128+) of the sixth item in your bag.

Capturing MissingNo. is said to always delete your saved game data, but I've proved this wrong, along with many others, who have experimented with this glitch.

-- Capturing MissingNo. could corrupt your game (over a period of time), as well as making battle screens appear garbled. This can usually be solved by looking at the stat screen of a real Poke'mon, because the game will be familiar as to what it's looking at, instead of something it isn't programmed to.

--Also, as listed before, the letters in your name can also change MissingNo.'s apearance, such as:

[There are other MissingNo. besides this one?]
    Having a lowercase "y" as the third, fifth, or seventh letter in your player's name (to find a ghost MissingNo.) This one appears as one of the unidentifiale ghosts that can't be ID'd in Poke'mon Tower when you don't have the Silph Scope.
    Having a lowercase "x" as the third, fifth, or seventh letter in your player's name (to find an Aerodactyl Fossil MissingNo.) This Aerodactyl Fossil also appears in the Pewter City Museum.
    Having a lowercase "w" as the third, fifth or seventh letter in your player's name (to find a Kabutops Fossil MissingNo.) Same as Aerodactyl Fossil.

MissingNo.'s most common appearance is a form of a mass amount of pixels in the shape of a backwards "L", mainly because it can appear without many naming restrictions.

Note: MissingNo.'s pixelized "body" doesn't really move in the game, although when you capture it, the little MissingNo. icon--when viewed in the Start menu screen--will change depending on your character's current location. If it evolves into a Rhydon, it will look like the sprite of a Rhydon and won't change, no matter where you are, just like any other Poke'mon's picture. Hopefully, if your game does not malfunction after capturing MissingNo., you can deposit it into the PC, withdraw it, and use it in battle just like any other Poke'mon in the R/B versions.

[Is there a Yellow Version MissingNo.?]
    Poke'mon games after Poke'mon Red and Blue version don't have MissingNo., but people claim to have encountered such Poke'mon in other versions. For Poke'mon Yellow, there are a few exceptions.

When Pok?mon Yellow was released, the original MissingNo. and 'M glitches were removed from the game. However, some time after Yellow was released, a new code was discovered that allowed the capture of any Pok?mon, including MissingNo. and Mew. This code is detailed in a guide at the GameFAQs Pok?mon Yellow page (said FAQ is Glitch Guide).

[How do I get it?]
    However, if a player is unsuccessful at finding MissingNo. in the Yellow version, he or she can simply have it traded in from a Red or Blue version. If this is done, MissingNo. will affect the Yellow version in the same way it affected the Red and Blue versions, including messing up the Pok?mon Hall of Fame.

[What are MissingNo.'s effects in the N64 Poke'mon Stadium games?]
    MissingNo. will be unable to battle in Poke'mon Stadium (1 or 2), and its pictures will not develop properly in the photo gallery section. When MissingNo. is trying to be viewed for its stats in the Poke'mon Center in the Poke'mon Stadium game, the game will freeze, playing the music in the background without the beat. MissingNo.'s appearance when viewed through Poke'mon Stadium is a Substitute-- a small, Rhydon-like figure when a Poke'mon uses the move Substitute. Even if you have MissingNo. in your party, or in one of our PC boxes, MissingNo. will not appear on the GB Party screen when choosing Poke'mon for battles.

The other rumors that MissingNo. can evolve into a Mew are incorrect, but because of this, MissingNo. wil always have a place in Poke'mon culture.

Last edited:

PokemonPichu

A pichu messing with glitches
    Years
    Hey, who knows about all the other glitch pokemon? PKMN, .4, u 8, U, you name it. I am a glitch collector, and soon I will have all 256 pokemon on Blue.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    o__o wow....8 pages in 3 years? .....thats just..... Wow. o__o

Anyhoo, I like Missingno. I had one once, and I named it Mino... I loved my Mino... For awhile it didn't hurt my game at all...but once it did I got rid of it ... T-T

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back