• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Nintendo wants feedback on Sword/Shield. (Euorpe/Japan)

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
Years
  • So I was looking through my recommended feed on Youtube. When I stumbled upon this video, and my first thought was: "Oh no"

As Radiohead so elegantly put it: "We're not scaremongering, this is really happening"
    What could this mean for Sword/Shield? Because we all know this is giving the vocal minority (the #bringbackthenationaldex folks) a line to the devs.
    Now, this could be cataclysmic, or it's nothing and i'm just overreacting.
    We don't know at this point, I just hope it's not going to be curtains for Sword/Shield because of this.

Edit: Europe and Japan ladies and gentlemen. That still doesn't change my stance on this being an "Oh no" scenario. Since only Europe is the one voicing their opinions on this at the moment, they still contain people from that vocal minority. Remember Europe is huge, so that means that they'll hear from that minority. It doesn't matter the country, that part of the vocal minority in Europe will still speak up, and who knows? Maybe the survey will make it's way to the US, and if it does. Well, then that could really be cataclysmic. Just keep your eyes peeled, anything could happen.

Edit 2: To explain the "oh no" mentality I have with this a little more thoroughly: there are more people complaining then just the vocals, and they find out this will have a negative impact. They then have 2 choices: A: Delay the game B: Cancel the game and cut their losses. So in the very worst case scenario it becomes "Oh, we can't communicate on all bases to delay the game, and since it's not going to sell why release it." that's just a worse case scenario, but it still is on the table.

Last edited:

Whim

king of weirdtropolis
    Years
  • They also send e-mails to those who already have a switch. There's also a japanese survey too. However, although I'm not too hopeful, i do think it's something positive. It gives the vocal minority the power to ask what they want the most from their games - which they've already been doing on twitter - but will also get criticism and opinion of those that would still buy the game. This game is made for both of these publics. At worst case scenario, they only want to know if all this boycotting thing will afect their games' sales, but I really doubt that's the reason because it would have a big bias, since most people that answer do want something to be changed - while still not being the majority.​

Years
  • Good to know they're interested in player feedback. Really hard not to notice when people are voicing their disappointment in the franchise's comments section of every social media platform they use. Will see how the survey impacts things.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I applaud any company who is willing to ask for a receive feedback from their audience. Even if some of the news we've gotten about SWSH hasn't been the absolute greatest, it gives me faith that Nintendo cares about what we think. Good on 'em. :)

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I'm just happy they're willing to listen to the playerbase. Hopefully they'll take these concerns seriously.

Years
  • I think it's good and proactive also gives us hope they want to listen to the customer, I sent mine off yesterday and gave them my thoughts on the matter

Years
  • I heard that they're prioritizing opinions from the 7-15 age group so I figured this would come with an asterisk.

That said, I don't think Nintendo is going to discount opinions from older fans, but it makes sense that since younger children are pretty much the backbone of the Pokemon franchise, that Nintendo is perhaps wondering whether or not they're still excited for Sword or Shield or if interest is perhaps waning.

Last edited:

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
  • I heard that they're prioritizing opinions from the 7-15 age group so I figured this would come with an asterisk.

That said, I don't think Nintendo is going to discount opinions from older fans, but it makes sense that since younger children are pretty much the backbone of the Pokemon franchise, that Nintendo is perhaps wondering whether or not they're still excited for Sword or Shield or if interest is perhaps waning.

If it is waning, what next? A delay? Flat out cancellation?
    You know because of those teens who use the internet, and knowing the echo chamber that the internet is, yeah. So i'm still on this "oh no" mentality, because these games might be toast.
    If I sound worried, it's because I am worried. The possibility of Sword and Shield being on their deathbed is very possible considering the state of things. It doesn't matter how many other fans are excited, those teens and kids who listen to those teens who's opinions have been formed through the echo chamber of: "Sword and Shield are bad" will be the ones that will tip the scales against the games. So yeah, these games could be toast. So keep your eyes peeled, the end could happen at any moment.

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
  • Why are they even sending surveys? All they need to do is check out Twitter, Reddit, 4chan and Pokemon forums to see what kind of feedback the upcoming games are getting. Also, they clearly have no interest in what the fans want anyway considering that half-assed official statement that they released today about the Pokemon exclusion complaints.

That comes with a problem though. Going onto those sites and seeing all the people complaining about these things. They'll just think "Oh everyone hates these games and there's no fix so we'll just cancel them and cut our losses, they weren't going to sell anyway". Don't you see the problem here, if they looked into those sites, they would bleed money. But, I think the games are toast anyway so, why not at this point?

Last edited:
    Years
  • I don't know if it's entirely conducive to start panicking when we don't even know what Nintendo is going to do with these surveys.

We wait and see what, if anything, is going to be done. We're still quite a few months away from release so anything can happen between now and then.

Last edited:

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
  • I don't know if it's entirely conductive to start panicking when we don't even know what Nintendo is going to do with these surveys.

We wait and see what, if anything, is going to be done. We're still quite a few months away from release so anything can happen between now and then.

Yeah anything could happen, including cancellation if the surveys come up negative, which they probably will considering how much backlash the games have been getting. Sorry to sound like a doomsday profit here, but once a mindset is out there it can spread like a virus. Including to those kids who will imitate behaviors they see around the internet if they are exposed to them, it's like I said: those 7-15 year-olds that are having their opinions formed by the echo chambers of the internet will be the ones to tip the scales.
    I didn't want to come back to this sub-forum because I believed it was making me increasingly toxic, but I just want all of you to know this: the possibility of a cancellation in my eyes, is very real at this point. The people who chose to complain so loudly brought this prospect unto themselves and everyone else, including those who are excited for these games. So if Gen 8 gets canceled, you have nobody to blame but yourselves.

"It was your choice, now you get to live with it"- Judgement Boy

Last edited:

Emilia

~ free falling
    Years
  • Well, I mean.. it's always good to have some faith, as long as you are prepared for the worst. That's what I tell myself anyway.
    What I'm curious about is why so many people are mad about the whole Gen 8 only pokemon thing.. I understand it sucks but I mean we could always find a favorite from Gen 8? :p
    Heck idk, it's almost 4 AM when I posted this lol

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2022
    Yeah anything could happen, including cancellation if the surveys come up negative, which they probably will considering how much backlash the games have been getting. Sorry to sound like a doomsday profit here, but once a mindset is out there it can spread like a virus. Including to those kids who will imitate behaviors they see around the internet if they are exposed to them, it's like I said: those 7-15 year-olds that are having their opinions formed by the echo chambers of the internet will be the ones to tip the scales.
    I didn't want to come back to this sub-forum because I believed it was making me increasingly toxic, but I just want all of you to know this: the possibility of a cancellation in my eyes, is very real at this point. The people who chose to complain so loudly brought this prospect unto themselves and everyone else, including those who are excited for these games. So if Gen 8 gets canceled, you have nobody to blame but yourselves.

"It was your choice, now you get to live with it"- Judgement Boy

What world do you live in? AAA games don't get cancelled, ever. It just doesn't happen. No amount of complaining will ever cancel Sword and Shield.

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
  • What world do you live in? AAA games don't get cancelled, ever. It just doesn't happen. No amount of complaining will ever cancel Sword and Shield.

If AAA games never got canceled, then we would have Silent Hills AKA PT. It can happen for any reason, from lack of funds (which is ridiculous at this point). To drama (internally or externally), which there has been a lot of recently. To just plain old developer choice, which is still an option. Every game can be canceled, just because it's a AAA game does not mean it's automatically exempt from being canceled, see PT as an example. Gamefreak can do whatever they want to with Sword/Shield. That includes canceling the game to stop people from harassing them on twitter. Because if there's no game, there's nothing to complain about.

Look #1TrubbishFan, I'm sorry if I bit your head off, I didn't want to. It's just this sub-forum, it makes me incredibly toxic and bitter. I would prefer if I never came back here, because of all the whining and salt. I might come back if things die down, but at this point that seems improbable.

Back