• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga It's not like I want you to post in me or anything, b-baka.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • I'm torn between digging up the old one or just re-creating a new version to refresh it. I want to refresh the rule sticky, too, actually.

When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the Master.

54ee8891286bc3f9e0fff988f9a07b6c7cb1aea8_hq.gif

I'm still a little surprised at just how much I enjoyed the Index/Railgun series, actually. The movie left a lot to be desired, but it's one of those rare series where I felt that they developed both the characters and the world more than enough to satisfy, especially when watched together. We just need...more. More of all of it. Surely the LNs must be far enough ahead by now for at least a 12/13 episode season...

They definitely are, though I think the issue is the cutoff point between the original LN series and the New Testament LN series for Index. Railgun might need a bit more material yet, but I've only got the English manga releases to go off of.

More than that, and the demand and popularity's there to boot.

Wasn't there a statement this year about the possibility of another anime being spat out?

I wish they'd stop treating anime solely like promotional material for manga/LNs, it's a media in its own right and deserves due care and respect.

I'm not one of those people who is enticed to check out other related material because I enjoyed something though, which I suppose puts me in the minority again. Ugh.

One issue i do have is that the author themselves probably doesn't get the greatest of compensation for a series getting an anime adaptation.

Nah, you're not in the minority, really. I think the only anime I've seen that's made people jump to the source material en masse was Jojo, but other than that it's actually a pretty vocal minority who follow the source material after watching the show. Well, it happens more in the case of manga than Light Novels

Well, this is moreso the case in the West for availability reasons.

In the West, sure, but from what I understand (and this may well be inaccurate), LNs and manga are far more widespread and popular than anime because it's easier to read on the train or in school (or, at least, it used to be).

It seems to me that half the time people are comparing anime to manga/LNs and complaining about it; it's the Japanese version of comparing the books to the movies...another thing I don't personally subscribe to, because totally different media.

I guess I'm annoyed that the two are often tied together because it means anime gets the short end of the stick...quite often, manga never gets fully adapted into anime, so you get these amazing anime that are forever unfinished or unresolved just because their source material isn't popular enough. They're never going to fully adapt Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, to name one I'm especially bitter about.

I don't see why they can't deviate from the source material more often if they won't make a second season, or if the source itself is nowhere near completion. I mean, the original Fullmetal Alchemist established its own identity once it ran out of source material, and in a lot of ways I actually prefer it, especially for the emotional connection various cast members (homonculus especially; Sloth was MUCH better than Sloth in Brotherhood) had with one another.

Sorry, source material nerd here who's been burned by shitty adaptations before (NEGIMA! and Love Hina, for instance). Can't really defend against this rant, but also not going to sincerely apologize because I'm a super hardcore source material nerd for series that I get acquainted with in print before hand.

Complaining about the way something is adapted is a legitimate gripe, though, if it completely changes the story or a character.

pkmin3033

They definitely are, though I think the issue is the cutoff point between the original LN series and the New Testament LN series for Index. Railgun might need a bit more material yet, but I've only got the English manga releases to go off of.
    I'll have to take your word for it, since I don't read the LNs...although I have to admit that it's the only series where I have seriously considered it. I think I would probably appreciate the anime a lot more - and I already like the anime quite a bit - with that extra worldbuilding the LNs go into...

...but then I'd be stuck waiting for new LNs, and waiting for novels annoys me even more than waiting for anime does, haha.

Sorry, source material nerd here who's been burned by shitty adaptations before (NEGIMA! and Love Hina, for instance). Can't really defend against this rant, but also not going to sincerely apologize because I'm a super hardcore source material nerd for series that I get acquainted with in print before hand.

Complaining about the way something is adapted is a legitimate gripe, though, if it completely changes the story or a character.
    I can see your point, because I hated the Harry Potter movies growing up because of how they adapted the source material; I didn't stop comparing the two different media until I was in my late teens/early 20s...and a part of me still does it because of how terribly Marvel has been handling their Cinematic Universe for the most part. But I've also only got a handful of series to go by with anime, which I've already mentioned, and half of them I didn't care for...I mean, Hellsing Ultimate adapts the manga, and it's substantially better than the original series. So much better it's not even funny.

I guess it really does depend on your individual experience with a series.

It just annoys me that people don't finish what they start. Especially when it's something I really like.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Started watching a few more things now that ACCA's done and I'm itching for something new to watch in the meantime, but honestly, I think I'm not really sold on Attack on Titan S2. I might give it one or two more episodes before dropping it if it doesn't pick up. It's a different feeling from the feeling that I've had with ACCA (another one that I initially thought of dropping, but I held on as it found a way to keep me engaged) - I think it's probably the mood and art that isn't helping much.

Also got around to the Granblue Fantasy adaptation. Seems like it's making a better impression to me than AoT S2. Heh, I guess I'm kind of different with regard to this. Might watch it in its entirety if it holds up. Though it pains me to say that both shows are ongoing.

pkmin3033

That said, I think some of the best anime memes actually come from dub outtakes...

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • It just annoys me that people don't finish what they start. Especially when it's something I really like.
    I agree to an extent, but I can understand in other cases. I know a few series where the creator just didn't want to continue with the series or just couldn't go the direction they wanted, and honestly I'd prefer to watch something by someone who actually likes what they're doing or, at the very least, doesn't begin to outright loathe their own creation due to obligatory action.

Especially when that series ends up taking a 90 degree turn once that actually happens.

but honestly, I think I'm not really sold on Attack on Titan S2. I might give it one or two more episodes before dropping it if it doesn't pick up. It's a different feeling from the feeling that I've had with ACCA (another one that I initially thought of dropping, but I held on as it found a way to keep me engaged) - I think it's probably the mood and art that isn't helping much.

Also got around to the Granblue Fantasy adaptation. Seems like it's making a better impression to me than AoT S2. Heh, I guess I'm kind of different with regard to this. Might watch it in its entirety if it holds up. Though it pains me to say that both shows are ongoing.
    It...could really go either way. Unlike back when AoT aired, there's a hell of a lot more material now than there was then. On the other hand, though...given how long this season is, I have a pretty good idea of where it's gonna end. It might have a strong-ish ending but it might also have people rolling their eyes, so...it gets better. But if they plan to stretch this out to five seasons the way they probably can...

Be prepared. I will say that this is definitely the weaker part of the season, so you should stick around if you liked the first season.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

I agree to an extent, but I can understand in other cases. I know a few series where the creator just didn't want to continue with the series or just couldn't go the direction they wanted, and honestly I'd prefer to watch something by someone who actually likes what they're doing or, at the very least, doesn't begin to outright loathe their own creation due to obligatory action.

Especially when that series ends up taking a 90 degree turn once that actually happens.
    In cases like that, I honestly think they should find someone to finish the project for them. Just because they started the idea does not mean they have to be the one to finish it...or that they would even be the best person to finish it, in some cases. There are plenty of other people who are just as capable, and they might even make it better than what the original author intended.

If people don't want to finish what they start, they can't complain if other people do it for them. I know, that's not how it works in real life, with rubbish like copyright protection etc. in effect, but...eh. People should finish what they start. It's just...irritating.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    What I end up thinking of Dragon Maid after finishing the entire thing

Spoiler:

And now to make sure my MAL's PTW gets emptied... actually, that's probably not possible. Next best thing is to just keep on watching stuff every day, I suppose.

pkmin3033

I liked Dragon Maid for the most part, but like so many 12/13 episode shows, the ending was rushed and tonally it was completely out of place compared to the rest of the show. Really irks me, because up to that point it had been absolutely fine.

Still a good show, but I wish this need to fit a set number of episodes or adapt a set amount of content didn't ruin pacing this way.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I liked Dragon Maid for the most part, but like so many 12/13 episode shows, the ending was rushed and tonally it was completely out of place compared to the rest of the show. Really irks me, because up to that point it had been absolutely fine.

Still a good show, but I wish this need to fit a set number of episodes or adapt a set amount of content didn't ruin pacing this way.

Kind of want to see more of them.

At least there's the OVA, but that's September... and the monthly specials that come with the disc releases are very short, too. It probably would feel good to see the gang again, though, and it sure did when I went to the two available specials.

Wished it ran for more than one cour, really...

Honestly... I kind of feel like rewatching right now (in subs of a different language). But then there's also other stuff to enjoy...

Years
  • Is it bad that I cried a little during Dragon Maid finale

Did you read the manga yet, Twiggy? Fan translation in English is kinda at a standstill though. The manga is now officially for sale in America too. Not sure about other countries.
    Considering watching the anime's English dub for silly stuff like Kanna saying "cuckold."

Years
  • Unfortunately the nature of the contracts in the industry over in Japan, and most places aren't comfortable breaking away from the routine.

I'll have to take your word for it, since I don't read the LNs...although I have to admit that it's the only series where I have seriously considered it. I think I would probably appreciate the anime a lot more - and I already like the anime quite a bit - with that extra worldbuilding the LNs go into...

...but then I'd be stuck waiting for new LNs, and waiting for novels annoys me even more than waiting for anime does, haha.

I can see your point, because I hated the Harry Potter movies growing up because of how they adapted the source material; I didn't stop comparing the two different media until I was in my late teens/early 20s...and a part of me still does it because of how terribly Marvel has been handling their Cinematic Universe for the most part. But I've also only got a handful of series to go by with anime, which I've already mentioned, and half of them I didn't care for...I mean, Hellsing Ultimate adapts the manga, and it's substantially better than the original series. So much better it's not even funny.

I guess it really does depend on your individual experience with a series.

It just annoys me that people don't finish what they start. Especially when it's something I really like.

A lot of times, I may find out about an anime and then go full bore into the manga, though there are just as many times I am deep in the manga and then the anime was announced. I have a habit of preferring the print version for an assortment of reasons, but that may be a product of me being restricted on how much TV I could watch growing up.

Memes.

That said, I think some of the best anime memes actually come from dub outtakes...

They come from both audio sets, really.

Also what the hell Jeremiah.

Oh, also got a couple things over the past couple of weeks:

Manga:
    https://imgur.com/a/j1H5N

Yazawa Nico Alter:
    https://imgur.com/M686AWz

Yoshiko Tsushima charm:
    https://imgur.com/sKZBPLH

Love Live! Sunshine!! JPN BD 1:
    https://imgur.com/yWijTHM

Also getting my collection room in better order, slowly:
    https://imgur.com/a/xVNnP

I apparently own 103(!) figures, whoops.

Years
  • Oh, also got a couple things over the past couple of weeks:

Manga:
    https://imgur.com/a/j1H5N

Yazawa Nico Alter:
    https://imgur.com/M686AWz

Yoshiko Tsushima charm:
    https://imgur.com/sKZBPLH

Love Live! Sunshine!! JPN BD 1:
    https://imgur.com/yWijTHM

Also getting my collection room in better order, slowly:
    https://imgur.com/a/xVNnP

I apparently own 103(!) figures, whoops.
    Do you have a MyFigureCollection?
    Also why don't you unbox your figures for display? Not enough space? Waiting to get more display cases? Or perhaps just the way you prefer to collect? :o

Years
  • Do you have a MyFigureCollection?
    Also why don't you unbox your figures for display? Not enough space? Waiting to get more display cases? Or perhaps just the way you prefer to collect? :o

I do have one, actually.

It's a combination of being my preferred way to collect and also not having enough places to display them, really. I only have the one display case, and have plans for another 5 or 6 more.

pkmin3033

Dunno if I'm allowed to talk about this (if I'm not, sorry, I'll shut up and delete this) but it looks like there is a concerted attack on Nyaa going on right now...well, both domains are down, and people are acting as though it's more serious than the standard downtime panic that goes on every time this happens.

Which is irritating, if it's true. I highly doubt it'll stop things from continuing - after all, they can just set up a new server under a different name if they have to - but with legal streaming services being as bad as they are...well. People need to stop being so anal about copyright...

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I've been overly casual about anime lately. I used to be download only but now I tend to stream it, especially when I'm watching with m'lady.Largely because, other than when I'm watching for the anime contract, I tend to jump around on the shows I watch.

That in mind, I do need to download shows that I want to watch at 1.2 times (or around that) since OpenLoad is a pain and VLC's my only other option.

But back to the point, I think it's more that legal streaming services really need to step up their game. It's criminal that these sites run by no-names are generally not only just better designed but also run better and just make for a more pleasant experience when these legal sites don't even seem to know what HTML5 is.

Honestly, it's no wonder capitalizing on anime in the West is such a decision for anime studios and producers. Piracy with anime, unlike gaming, is easily the best option with zero drawback. Why wouldn't someone pirate in this industry where doing things the legal way means mediocre offerings, weak service, and generally not too many options.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • legal sites don't even seem to know what HTML5 is.

Partially one reason for the lack of HTML5 adaption is that currently enforcing DRM is not universally supported across different browsers. (particularly mobile browsers). However, Netflix uses HTML5, so it is possible but maybe it's because legal streaming companies don't have the technical resources to make it a priority ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Years
  • I do have one, actually.

It's a combination of being my preferred way to collect and also not having enough places to display them, really. I only have the one display case, and have plans for another 5 or 6 more.
    Random merch-related question but what are your preferred online shops to use when pre-ordering figures? A lot of people say AmiAmi for some reason and I've already pre-ordered 4 Nendoroids through that site but I wondered if I should experiment with other shops for other figures I plan on ordering soon... Kinda scared of what shipping costs on my orders will be in the end...

Years
  • Random merch-related question but what are your preferred online shops to use when pre-ordering figures? A lot of people say AmiAmi for some reason and I've already pre-ordered 4 Nendoroids through that site but I wondered if I should experiment with other shops for other figures I plan on ordering soon... Kinda scared of what shipping costs on my orders will be in the end...

I primarily have bought through Amazon US, at cons, or through Tokyo Otaku Mode. I will probably be buying more from AmiAmi, CDJapan, and Mandarake going forward as they actually allow me to specify whether I want EMS shipping or just plain old SAL shipping, while TOM just sends everything from Japan as SAL and gives a really far out arrival date. There's legitimately no shortage of options to pre-order from if you're in the US, though. The places I named are just scraping the top of the barrel.

But back to the point, I think it's more that legal streaming services really need to step up their game. It's criminal that these sites run by no-names are generally not only just better designed but also run better and just make for a more pleasant experience when these legal sites don't even seem to know what HTML5 is.

Having shareholders, rights holders, and customers to be accountable to means you can't just roll out new features in production. They have to spend months in testing and even then are still far from guaranteed to be functioning as intended since your test environment, if you're lucky enough to have one, will definitely not have everything your production environment does. I'm not even a dev but I've been in a fair few rollouts in my IT career and they never go flawlessly.

Meanwhile no-name sites can just roll out changes without having nearly as many moving parts to appease.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Finished Gabriel DropOut and has started watching K-On!! after finishing the Ura-On! shorts. Hmm... good to see the HTT again after a break!

It probably was a good idea to pad between the seasons with an unrelated show.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back