• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Mapping Editor [Cancelled]

Kimonas

%string not found
Years
  • How about making it load OWs in inserted tables with JPAN's engine and showing OWs with extended palettes properly? A-Map couldn't do any of those.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2021
    When i tried to make a huge route with the size of 2 maps, i had some trouble finding the "connecting points" of both maps, since i only had always one map open- so i think a useful feature could be to make the neighboring maps visible in the map editor when needed.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2016
    @Kimonas:
    Depends on how dynamic JPANs system is. If its just a repointed table with a limiting byte changed, then it is read automatically, no matter what.

@tzujum33:
    Wow, that's what I call a nice idea! I always had this kind of problem too, but never really bothered changing it. Will add this to the TODO list. :-)

thedarkdragon11

New World Pirate
    Years
  • I wonder if these are possible:

• Separate Wild Pokémon data for specific time (will only work if Day and Night system is installed; the first time slot is the default; can use AM/PM for R/S/E)
    • Dive support for FR/LG (will only work if the Dive routine is installed)
    • Add new tileset without replacing the other ones (someone here told me before that it's possible)

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2016
    FR/LG appearantly already has support for dive... you will have to change the routine yourself within the hex-editor, the map-editor is independent of it! The DNS wild pokémon data has already been suggested, yet I'll wait until I have more important features implemented first. And the last thing is totally possible and was already planned by me. :-)

Shogun

I'll be back
    Years
  • *Compatibility with expanded rom (32 Mb) like in A map 1.95. because in 1.92 we can't use the expanded space.
    *Be able to import map.
    * Be able to add new flying position (I don't know if it's possible)

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2016
    *Compatibility with expanded rom (32 Mb) like in A map 1.95. because in 1.92 we can't use the expanded space.
    *Be able to import map.
    * Be able to add new flying position (I don't know if it's possible)

For the third time, the expanded ROM is supported. Pratically, even 64 MB and 128 MB pointers in ROMs are supported automatically. The map-import idea is good, will implement it for sure. Flying positions kinda go hand-in-hand with map names. That'll require more research, but I think I am going to implement it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2016
    Headbutt scripts use special 0xAB which appearantly chooses a Pokémon out of the "ROCK SMASH"-table. And the rock smash table is of course beeing loaded. :-)

Jaizu

Average rom hacker
    Years
  • I'm sure this may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't like the idea to automatically index tiles. I waste most part of my time as a mapper so I edit a lot of tiles and palettes. When a tile has more rain 15 colors I have 2 options: wasting 2 palettes or editing the tile. When you edit the tile manually you know a lot more of tile, you know the exact palettes so you can add more tiles with those. And the biggest factor is the quality of the tiles, it's really bigger if you edit the tile manually. I don't wanna see new hacks or new hackers inserting tiles which look bad only because it's easier to insert tiles with more colors now. If someone wants to insert tiles automatically they can do it, but this isn't the way to help new hackers to learn and inserting tiles.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2016
    Hey, thanks.
    I guess many spanish hackers share your opinion, but don't worry, there is a way around. I simply have to check whether the image already contains 16 color entries only and if that's the case, it won't be touched any further and just inserted to the ROM. I will also provide an in-tool-capability to swap palette entries and edit them :-). But yeah, that's currently out of question, as we first have to load maps etc dynamically and bug-free, but I'll keep your opinion in mind.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • FR/LG appearantly already has support for dive... you will have to change the routine yourself within the hex-editor, the map-editor is independent of it! The DNS wild pokémon data has already been suggested, yet I'll wait until I have more important features implemented first. And the last thing is totally possible and was already planned by me. :-)

Actually dive support is not in FR/LG.

As for my suggestion, I'd like better map exporting and perhaps an option to use hex only. I'd be neat to export a map into another ROM and have the scripts ect. exported along with it. Not sure if it'd be used too much, but a niche feature that would save time for people who destroyed their ROMs and need to start fresh.

For the hex only suggestion, I find it often that beginners or people using warps commands in scripts mess up which map/person event no. ect because they forget the numbers in Amap are in decimal (for the most part) and use these values in their scripts. It's a little inconsistent on when it uses decimal vs hex. I think it should be uniform.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2016
    I know that dive is not directly supported in FR/LG, yet it has a byte identifier in the connection data.^^

Well I've always hated this function in A-Map and I guess it will come in handy for some people, that tend to break ROMs because they are not that experienced.

I'll use hex-values only, just because people are used to it through hex-editors. And I'll also fix the annoying "feature" of A-Map not showing person identifiers zero-based. :P

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2016
    Mapping Editor - Screenshots

Hello everyone, I've finally finished the coarse user interface for QMap which contains custom controls only, that took me approximately ten days to develop.

Raw GUI
    Spoiler:

Menu
    Spoiler:

Tool-tip system
    (Note: On important items, it will show "Press F1 for advanced help.")
    Spoiler:

Item functions explained
    Spoiler:

Have a good day! :-)

Attachments

• QMapGUI.png
      QMapGUI.png
      25.5 KB · Views: 232
    • QMapMenu.png
      QMapMenu.png
      24 KB · Views: 226
    • QMapTooltip.png
      QMapTooltip.png
      26.2 KB · Views: 226
    • QMapFunctions.png
      QMapFunctions.png
      25 KB · Views: 232
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2016
    Looks promising. Keep up the good work. Will we be able to edit maps we have editted earlier in A-map?

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2016
    They for sure should be. An alpha will be released next week, everyone should search for bugs then. :-)

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Here's an idea: let us assign a default movement permission value to tiles. So for example, whenever you place down some grass, the movement permission would always be C. When you place a tree, those tiles will always be 1. Would save a lot of time not having to add movement permissions whenever you edit a map and would basically eliminate movement permission errors.

Back