• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] starters final typing speculation

Years
    • Age 28
    • he/him
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    It's that time again... as always with a new gen! What types are we thinking / hoping for from the starters final evolutions? No more fire/fighting please!!

I think they're gonna be Grass/Fighting, Fire/Electric (a lot of emphasis on speed) and Water/Psychic (illusions and camouflage)

What do you think?

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • I believe Scorbunny could potentially end up as Fire / Fairy, as they seem to be making it cute-sy pokemon.

Sobble could be any secondary typing as this stage in my eyes. It's very broad in terms of design, but I could see Water / Bug happening maybe.

Grookey I feel like ends up as Grass / Fighting.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I am thinking of Grookey might be Grass/Fire, considering he evaporated the water Sobble puts on the grasses into steam.

Years
  • I thought Fire/Electric as soon as I saw Scorbunny but I think it might be nice to have monotyped final stages again for a change.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Scorbunny - I think will likely be Fire/Fairy

Grookey - My mind is telling me Grass/Ground, but there was a leak that mentioned it being a sloth which is very possible. So I am going to say Grass/Dark, which would finish starter dark types.

Sobble - Is making me think it is pure water, but it could be Water/Fighting. It seems to get scared easily and could grow up to be braver. This would complete Starter Fighting types. It could also be Water/Psychic

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I honestly think we might end up with another bipedal Fire/Fighting in Scorbunny. I'd love to be proven wrong though! Electric would be a cool secondary type.

Grookey, is coming across as a Grass/Ground to me. Maybe Grass/Rock.

And Sobble I'm praying for a Water/Fairy typing! But I think Psychic or Ice would both make for good options.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I agree with Grass/Fighting and Fire/Electric, but I feel our water friend will be Water/Ghost.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • If Generation 6 and Generation 7 is anything to go by, their Primary and Secondary Typings typically counter one another. Incineroar(Fire/Dark) is beaten by Primarina(Water/Fairy) which is beaten by Decidueye(Grass/Ghost). Although Ghost doesn't beat Fairy straight up, it's vulnerable to Incineroar's Dark Typing. Same deal in Gen 6 with Fire/Psychic, Water/Dark, Grass/Fighting. Looking at Generation 8, I think they'll follow the same concept with Fire/Fairy(unique), Grass/Dark and Water/Ghost.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I would love to see Fire/Electric and Water/Ghost but I'm not sure if that's something they'd do from a balance perspective, it could allow a player who chose the Scorbunny to more easily beat the rival's Sobble. Then again if they do the weird SM thing of having the rival actually pick the weaker starter then it doesn't matter.... /shrug

Not sure about Grookey. I'd say it might be pure Grass if that was still a thing we saw for starters, so I'm thinking Ground maybe?

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I would love to see Fire/Electric and Water/Ghost but I'm not sure if that's something they'd do from a balance perspective, it could allow a player who chose the Scorbunny to more easily beat the rival's Sobble. Then again if they do the weird SM thing of having the rival actually pick the weaker starter then it doesn't matter.... /shrug

Not sure about Grookey. I'd say it might be pure Grass if that was still a thing we saw for starters, so I'm thinking Ground maybe?

You had Grass/Ground with Torterra. Granted we've had Fire/Fighting in Generation 3 and Generation 4 so there's a possibility that Grass/Ground could make a return. Thing is that x4 weakness on starters really should be avoided if at all possible. My Grass/Dark prediction is x4 weak to Bug while the other type predictions have no such vulnerability.

Enzoto

Furret Enthusiast
    Years
  • I think that their types were kinda hinted at in the trailer, perhaps the Fire starter could be Fire/Steel because of the gear he jumps in, the Water one could be Water/Ghost because of the camouflage and I would guess that the Grass one would be Grass/Rock because of the rock he was beating, which, I think that was a really strange choice for something for him to do.

Years
  • Grookey- Grass/Dark. Could also see it being Grass/Fighting, but we just had that in Gen 6 with Chesnaught, so I think they'll go with something else.

Scorbunny- Fire/Fairy. I really don't see it being Fire/Steel simply because they emphasized its speed and Steel types are typically slow. Fire/Electric is also a possibility, but I just don't feel like they'll ever put electric on a starter (other than Pikachu, but that's different).

Sobble- Water/Psychic. I don't know why, I just feel confident that it'll be Psychic.

Pig

Angry ecologist
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    Honestly, pining for fire/electric on Scorbunny, however I'm okay with fire/steel as well as I am literally anything other than fire/fighting.

Please.

Years
  • I think they're gonna be Grass/Fighting, Fire/Electric (a lot of emphasis on speed) and Water/Psychic (illusions and camouflage)

Literally had this exact prediction. I could also see Grass/Dark or Water/Electric (only because of the yellow on Sobble's fin). I'm excited to see what happens regardless.

Years
  • Initially, I couldn't really see how Grookey could be Grass/Fighting... but I suppose the colour scheme makes sense for it. It's partially Green/Orange which kind of gives off the Grass/Fighting vibe. I do wonder if the stick is also what it uses to fight.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • Soddle- Water/Poison
    Scorbunny- Fire/Electric or Fire/Fighting
    Grookey- Grass/Ground or Grass/Fighting (maybe even Grass/Dark?)

I heard some people thinking Soddle will be Water/Dragon and Scorbunny being Fire/Fairy and as much I would love those typings, I can't really see them becoming a reality.

Kinda feel Scorbunny will turn out Fire/Fighting if they follow in Lopunny's footsteps as well as the rest of the fire-fighting starter tradition. Also, for some reason, I have a feeling that Soddle will be Water/Poison from it being a lizard ahhh.

Otherwise, I can totally see these starters being pure fire/water/grass!

Back