• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Pokemon Uranium Ceases Develpment

Years
  • Just going to leave a bit of an uninhibited response on the fact that Uranium has picked up development under a new team via https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemonuranium/

The team has already pushed out "unofficial" patches that fixed a ton of bugs with the latest official (and final) patch from the Uranium Team -- and following the Uranium Team's latest announcement have pushed out patch 1.0.2 (The official latest having been 1.0.1) -- They have also returned services like battling and wonder-trade/GTS.

I figured it was common knowledge that Pokemon Uranium wasn't dead yet :p

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Just going to leave a bit of an uninhibited response on the fact that Uranium has picked up development under a new team via https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemonuranium/

The team has already pushed out "unofficial" patches that fixed a ton of bugs with the latest official (and final) patch from the Uranium Team -- and following the Uranium Team's latest announcement have pushed out patch 1.0.2 (The official latest having been 1.0.1) -- They have also returned services like battling and wonder-trade/GTS.

I figured it was common knowledge that Pokemon Uranium wasn't dead yet :p

I knew about this, and it's nice to see the community is that involved. Didn't mention it, so that ways to directly get the game wouldn't be endorsed.

Still this furthers shows how successful Uranium was. Good to see the community being that active.

Voultronix

Pokemon Fossil Creator
    Years
  • What gave it away was the publicity big gaming magazines did, they often referred to it as the game to play while waiting for Pokemon sun and moon I think the publicity was infact the downfall but also a great 1 up for them in terms of their 9 years of hard work!

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Sad that it ended up like this. I hope it's not too disheartening for similar teams working on a Fan Game but... I guess it's the risk every developer takes >< the more successful and polished your game, the greater the risk too. :(

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    This is a cautionary tale about what not to do with a game of this magnitude. In time when other projects get released, they should stick to a low key approach unlike Uranium which had a lot of hype behind it.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • This is a cautionary tale about what not to do with a game of this magnitude. In time when other projects get released, they should stick to a low key approach unlike Uranium which had a lot of hype behind it.
    Yes, they did pretty much the same mistake what Mane6 did with MLP Fighting is Magic. I hope the new development team can keep it under the radar.

Years
  • Slight necropost, but I haven't been on in over a month. Internet at home died, and was using the library time for other things.

This is a cautionary tale about what not to do with a game of this magnitude. In time when other projects get released, they should stick to a low key approach unlike Uranium which had a lot of hype behind it.
    To be fair, I'm not entirely sure it was the Uranium Team's fault that they got all this publicity or even that the gaming journals noticed them. Yes, they released a really well-polished fan game, and they deserve all the attention they got.

But they also released during the launch window for Pokémon GO. They released when Game Freak was dropping the first bombshells about what makes Sun and Moon different from any other Pokémon game. They released when Pokémon hype was the highest it's been since the late '90s.

Gaming journals tried to cash in on the Pokémon hype train any way they could - and lo and behold, Uranium comes out and appears to be one of the best fangames out there in terms of polish. Suddenly we had gaming journals reporting on how you could play a new Pokémon game on your computer.

TL;DR - If you think your game is going to be noticed at all, do not release between now and about February. You'll be unintentionally riding Sun and Moon's waves the way Uranium rode GO's.

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    To be fair, I'm not entirely sure it was the Uranium Team's fault that they got all this publicity or even that the gaming journals noticed them. Yes, they released a really well-polished fan game, and they deserve all the attention they got.GO's.

I'm gonna guess you either haven't played Uranium, or just have an insanely low bar for a "high level of polish".

Back