• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Meganium appreciation thread - Meganium users, tell us what a great starter it can be!

Years
  • Out of the blue I remembered the Chikorita line, and thought to myself that they could use some love - on the Internet I often see them dismissed as weak and bad starters, and I'm always suspicious when I see such superficial dismissal of a starter. Most other starters get their fair share of praise, but I kinda don't see that for Meganium.

I really like Meganium, but haven't gotten around to using one yet. Whenever I try looking up what it's like as a starter and what fun experiences people who liked it had, I mostly find people complaining about how bad it is. You'll excuse me when I say I don't believe that judgement, since I saw the same things said for Serperior, and that clearly came from people who didn't understand how Serperior works (high speed and defences + stat boosting moves = setup sweeper that destroys in-game opponents; I know, I was a Serperior user in BW).

So, to everyone who has positive experiences using Meganium as a starter, those who know what it is all about - how did it work for you? What was it particularly good at? Did it surprise you in any way? In what fun ways did you use your Meganium?

Let's give the Chikorita line some praise that it surely deserves!

Last edited:

Roaming Emboar

Unovian Enhtusiast
    Years
  • It's too cute to dislike. I didn't like the gen 2 starters when I was younger but Meganium is just too adorable, Feraligatr is menacing, Typhlosion is too cool for school. Not just Meganium, all grass starters need some love (Meganium the most).

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2024
    The Chikorita line are very good at handling several Hikers and Swimmers, as there tends to be a lot of Rock, Ground and Water-types you'll be facing along the way. Their good bulk ensures they won't go down that easily.

In HGSS, they can be taught Natural Gift and if you know your Berries, they can potentially have a broad once per battle version of Hidden Power.

Plus, they are genuinely adorable.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • i love meganium! the whole line deserves more love, especially from the gameplay perspective. i've never really understood how they're weak, getting razor leaf early on is a huge perk.

also, all the gen 2 starters start out cool looking, but meganium is the only final form that's not ugly. cancel me.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Real talk, Meganium had some of the best WOTC early cards EVER! Plus it's design is so pleasing to look it. A proper Diplodocus Pokémon is what the world truly needed!

Years
  • I actually used a Meganium in my most recent playthrough of Soul Silver the other month and had a great time! The whole line has really good designs and although I usually prefer the Cyndaquil line and how much better is in ingame, Chikorita and co gave me a fun experience :)

Years
  • i wholly appreciate Meganium's flowery design and i think it's super cute. it might not be my first choice in a johto run (anymore) but i still love it, anyway.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I love meganium and used it multiple times in Johto.

In Heart Gold I gave it Light Clay with Reflect/Light Screen and it made an excellent team supporter.

After Kanto, it's so cool to just have a pure grass starter without the poison typing. I think it would be even cooler as a Grass/Fairy.

Back