• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon Photonic Sun & Prismatic Moon

Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2023
    Okay I'm back to give a couple more suggestions for the hack:

- Considering that I've read about the level up moves getting overhauled, I wanna throw out that I feel like Volcarona should be a pretty major priority in it, since it kinda has to suffer until level 55 as a Larvesta, or level 70 as a Volcarona to get Bug Buzz. I'd say that an okay way to fix it would be allowing it to gain moves in shorter spaces between each other (like how in Drayano's rom hacks Volcarona usually has 7 level sequences for moves rather than 10).

- Also I'd say you could give Incineroar and Blaziken a third ability instead of them just having their Hidden ability for their second for consistency. My suggestions being Guts for Incineroar and Scrappy for Blaziken (haven't chosen anything for Greninja because I don't know what the fuck you could give it to make it not be busted into oblivion).

Well i always thought Incineroar is a good scarfer, with its high attack and mediocre speed. I think Moxie will be a good ability for scarf Incineroar. Blaziken's Speed Boost is already Uber tier, but i always wondering if Reckless can be a good substitute considering it has Flare Blitz and High Jump Kick, put a scarf and you're good to go. Greninja also already has that OP Protean, so i can't think anything that can match it 😋.

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2023
    Well i always thought Incineroar is a good scarfer, with its high attack and mediocre speed. I think Moxie will be a good ability for scarf Incineroar. Blaziken's Speed Boost is already Uber tier, but i always wondering if Reckless can be a good substitute considering it has Flare Blitz and High Jump Kick, put a scarf and you're good to go. Greninja also already has that OP Protean, so i can't think anything that can match it 😋.

I considered Reckless for Blaziken and Moxie for Incineroar, but then I saw that then there would be overlap in terms of abilities, as the Infernape line gets Moxie and Emboar got Reckless, so I went with Guts and Scrappy.

Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2023
    I considered Reckless for Blaziken and Moxie for Incineroar, but then I saw that then there would be overlap in terms of abilities, as the Infernape line gets Moxie and Emboar got Reckless, so I went with Guts and Scrappy.

Oh yeah forgot about that pig 😂. I think Infernape will be more badass with No Guard with its Focus Blast and Fire Blast.

Also it will also be nice to change Leaf Guard's Meganium with Serene Grace, which will benefit its Body Slam. And Typhlosion's Flash Fire changed to Dry Skin, which will compliment its new Fire/Ground typing. Just some thoughts tho' 😁

Giovanni Boss

Team Rocket's Head
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2023
    Moxie does feel kind of right on Incineroar. Infernape kind of strikes me as more of a Defiant one.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Yeah, all of that makes sense. Guess the big three of starters really are hard to balance.

Though I guess it's good to just throw ideas out there. And speaking of that, here's a couple more:

- Heavily reducing Shedinja's defense and special defense (into something like 10/10 for both) and putting it into offensive stats. Considering the nature of the rom hack, and there being so much for Shedinja to fear, from hazards to weather to ability ignoring moves, to now coverage moves, it's pretty much pointless to use Shedinja unless you have some sort of galaxy brain or you make a team built around Shedinja. Reducing its defenses and increasing its offenses would give it a bit more breathing room to at least do something, because we all know that it ain't gonna use those defense stats for anything.

- Changing Mega Gallade's ability from Friend Guard to something more fit for single battles, like Super Luck or something else. I don't think there are enough Double Battles for Mega Gallade to use its ability on, and Super Luck would be more universally helpful for it. Though I would like to hear your train of thought on giving it Friend Guard in the first place.

- Buff Dark Void back to being an 80% accuracy move. I know that it's a Darkrai only move now, and not many people will even use the mon, but it makes no sense for it to have a nerf both to its accuracy and have it only usable by it.

- I don't know if it's possible, but maybe allow Dusk Mane/Dawn Wings Necrozma to switch abilities from Prism Armor to Solgaleo's/Lunala's abilities. Again, not sure if it's possible to do that, but if so, it could give a bit more choice for the both of them, and it would at least make Dawn Wings a lot better.

- I'd say for replacing Samurott's hidden ability, maybe something like Defiant? I dunno, sounds like an ability a swordsman otter would have.
    • Yeah I could do something like that to Shedinja; won't go too crazy with it, but making it faster and stronger probably won't make it broken.
    • With Gallade I started out with the same idea you had; give it something to improve all those slashing/crit moves it has, which would mean Super Luck or Sniper. Decided against it after realizing I hardly ever use any of those moves on Gallade, and I didn't think either of those really fitted (Super Luck's not inappropriate though). Decided on Friend Guard because a big part of Gallade's theme is protecting things, and Friend Guard is so strong it's only found on NFE mons (though it's even more useless than Inner Focus in single battles of course). Ideally I'd just give it an entirely new ability that boosted the damage of slashing moves, but I can't do that in the 3DS games.
    • 100% agree with fixing Dark Void. There was no reason for Game Freak to change both of those things, one or the other would have been enough.
    • I think it's possible to do that for the Necrozma forms, though I have no idea if an ability capsule works on fused Pokemon. I'd have to give Necrozma a second ability if not (the forms would end up with the same ability slot as Necrozma).
    • Defiant seems fitting for Samurott somehow. It was tricky to find something appropriate for it (other than giving it Intimidate based on its Pokedex entries).

Hello there.

While looking through the latest posts here and the documents, I was trying to find Pokémon who would benefit from Fire Lash and Zing Zap in their movepools, only to realize Fire Lash is very hard to fit while making sense, as good as it would be to physical fire types. I mean, other than Salazzle, who doesn't really benefit from it, I could only think of Lickilicki and Tauros, and that was already a huge stretch. Zing Zap, on the other hand, I feel could be more accessible, with things like Zebstrika, Luxray and Klinklang probably wanting to have it.

While on the subject of moves, I feel like some of the base damage alterations you did went a bit too strong. Namely, Darkest Lariat and Freeze-Dry. I feel 90 and 80/85 would be more than enough of a boost for those. Freeze-Dry, specifically, being objective better than Ice Beam, on top of being able to hit water types, feels a bit overpowered. I don't remember the exact stats for Rock Climb, but I do like that Rock finally has a move with decent accuracy for in-game to use.

When I looked at Luvdisc's Soul Heart, one thing popped up on my mind: why not give it access to Heart Swap? It would make it a fearsome Pokémon to deal with Totems, while not making it too broken otherwise.

Edit: About your Samurott discussion, you could give it Unaware, effectively making every move it uses into Sacred Sword, plus it kinde feels right for a Samurai, in a different flavor for what Unaware is usually used. If you simply want a powerful option, though, there's Adaptability. Other kind of fitting options I thought favor the physical side, so I guess they're not as good. It's a pity Sw/Sh abilities aren't an option, for some of the new ones would fit it nicely.

Speaking of Samurott reminded me: I believe Tinted Lens, while powerful, didn't fit Decidueye that well. Long Reach is a pretty decent ability, if you ask me, but if you want something more substantial in terms of power, I can try and think of more suggestions for you.

And these are my thoughts, for now. Thanks again for your time and work invested.
    Yeah Fire Lash is a very specific move. I wanted to give it Mienshao too, but as you say that's a huge stretch. Darkest Lariat is definitely over buffed; the main reason for the starter move buffs was to improve Spirit Shackle, and it seemed only fair to buff the other two by the same amount or make them all the same power.

Seems reasonable to give Heart Swap to Luvdisc; it'd be tricky to get it to survive long enough to use it, but it'd be a fun option to have.

I'd have to disagree with Unaware fitting a samurai; being airheaded or unaware of an opponent seems like the opposite of what you'd want in a sword fight.

Kinda agree with Decidueye and Tinted Lens, but if it fits Noctowl and Hoothoot, it also fits Decidueye.

I don't agree. Freeze-Dry is given to all members of possibly the worst Pokemon typing (as opposed to move typing, which is why Ice Beam coverage is preferred over Ice-type Pokemon) in the game. Kind of like how physical Ice mons get Icicle Crash instead of having to rely on Ice Punch. "Ice Beam, but slightly stronger and hits Waters" is much more of an incentive than "slightly weaker Ice Beam that hits Waters", at least to me.
    Freeze-Dry is already better than Ice Beam without any editing, though. Making it more powerful than Ice Beam does remove the decision making in better power vs. superb coverage, as Ice is already a great offensive type and Water an amazing defensive one. Though I can understand the buff in power being given to Ice-types only, as they are, indeed, frail defensively.

On a side note, I've checked Rock Climb stats and, apparently, Rock stills lacks a move with decent accuracy to use in-game. I mean, even 95 accuracy will miss on the worst times, anything with 90 accuracy or below is straight up unusable unless you want to get hit in the face when you miss, for they will, eventually. XD
    Not much I need to add to the Freeze Dry discussion; it was meant to be a buff to ice types that didn't also buff water types or mess with the type chart. Generally offensive ice types carry Freeze Dry just for water types and another ice attack for everything else (if there's room for it); the damage buff removes the need for that and opens up more options for their other move slots. It also effectively reverts the Ice Beam nerf, but only for ice types.

Rock has Smack Down and Power Gem (and Weather Ball I guess, at least for Gigalith) if you really don't want to miss 😂.

As for the other starters, Moxie definitely suits Incineroar. It ties in nicely with its wrestler theme, and Moxie/Intimidate is a pretty common set of abilities. Might have to make that its hidden ability at some point. I wouldn't go with Dry Skin for Typhlosion though; it doesn't seem to fit flavor wise. I'm also not too worried if there's some ability overlap, seeing as Greninja and Cinderace essentially have the same hidden ability in the official games.

Thanks for all the feedback, ideas and discussion everyone!

Giovanni Boss

Team Rocket's Head
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2023
    I'd have to disagree with Unaware fitting a samurai; being airheaded or unaware of an opponent seems like the opposite of what you'd want in a sword fight.

Kinda agree with Decidueye and Tinted Lens, but if it fits Noctowl and Hoothoot, it also fits Decidueye.

My point with Unaware is that would fit not in an airheaded perspective, but rather in a "I still see you for what you are" or "I simply don't care about your buffs" perspective, unlike the usual airheaded Unaware Pokémon. It would also fit Gallade and Mega Gallade, since that was being discussed, from that point of view. Though Defiant do seems more of a match for the oval hips psychic swordsman. (And would probably make me use Gallade, as I don't bother with physical sweepers that don't either ignore/get buffed by Intimidate (as Inner Focus now does in Sw/Sh) or have at least Mold Breaker to deal with Sturdy. I do have a hard time resisting Iron Fist and Sheer Force, truth be told.

Tinted Lens doesn't fit Noctowl too much, though. I believe it gets it just because of Hoothoot, as it does make sense for Hoothoot to have it. I see your reasoning, though.

What do you think of Salazzle, by the way? I always thought Corrosion is a great ability for a bulky poison Pokémon (such as you made Swalot, even though the ability matches Garbodor way more) and that Salazzle kind of doesn't really benefit that much from it. Do you think she should have other ability (something at least somewhat useful for her, like Aroma Veil, which is still fitting) or rather Corrosion should be different (as in bypassing steel-type immunity to poison attacks like Scrappy does) and still exclusive to her and Salandit?

I'm trying not to suggest changing it, as I would probably try to fit Mold Breaker everywhere. But then again, you didn't see me try to make everything get Bonemerang to deal with Sturdy without the need for Mold Breaker, as much as a Defiant Krookodile with Bonemerang would be something of beauty, so I guess I do have some self-control. XD

It does sadden me a little bit that you can't include the Intimidate immunity into the abilities that were buffed in Sw/Sh. Then again, I guess if you could do that, you probably could insert the new abilities as well.

Edit: I was considering Decidueye and I see now why you ended up with Tinted Lens. Most fitting abilities doesn't seem that much impactful, such as Grass Pelt, Keen Eye, Sniper, Cursed Body or Steakout. The most impactful of the fitting ones would be Infiltrator. I guess Clear Body would be acceptable, but Tinted Lens is just as valid as Clear Body, in terms of fitting the flavor.

Looking through these abilities, I realized how incredibly good Flower Veil is on a grass Pokémon, which then made me check which Pokémon now get it, Meganium being such a great choice of yours. Other Pokémon I thought would fit the ability are Jumpluff and Sawsbuck, which, in turn, ignited a small idea on my head: what if each form of Sawsbuck had a different ability? Not all three of them, but at least one, something along these lines:

Spring: Flower Veil
    Summer: Grass Pelt/Grassy Surge
    Autumn: Soundproof
    Winter: Fur Coat/Dazzling

Visiting those grass Pokémon brought me to Leafeon, which I feel is weird with Filter, but I suppose we fall again on the Decidueye dilemma. Guts feels nice on Leafeon, but Flareon already has it as HA, so I guess you didn't have that many options. Flower Veil would be awesome, but not fitting, so, Clear Body, I suppose. Better than Hyper Cutter (which would make sense for those swordsmen Pokémon). There's Sap Sipper, too, which is kind of fitting with Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2023
    Well Flower Veil is work best for double battles, which usum lacks of it. Also for the Sawsbuck idea i don't think that's possible, because it's not a different forms like Furfrou or Rotom. If you check using pk3ds Sawsbuck only have 1 form (the illustration using its autumn form), while pokemon like Rotom, Furfrou, or the Battle Bond Greninja does have different model which have its own stats and ability which can be modified as will (i remember played a hack that differs Furfrou forms to have different typings and ability)

Tinted lens Decidueye seems reasonable and i don't think of any other ability that suited it. Maybe Sniper for its archer resemblance or Keen Eye, but as you said it doesn't do good.

And i don't think you can modified the effect of an ability (for your Corrosion discussion) unless maybe you're doing script hacking which unless I'm wrong still impossible for Gen 6-7. But if just adding damage or stat increase/decrease it's possible, like the new Rapid Spin which increase user's speed.

Trace Gallade still works great for me as its benefit me when encounter Slush Rush/Sand Rush/Swift Swim/Chlorophyll enemies lol. M-Gallade can use it too, though M-Alakazam already had it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2021
    Howdy, I'm back once more, I was wondering if there was an efficient way to update the hack after it is applied to a ROM? I really don't want to disassemble the ROM every time I have to update it.
    Thank you in advance

Giovanni Boss

Team Rocket's Head
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2023
    Well Flower Veil is work best for double battles, which usum lacks of it. Also for the Sawsbuck idea i don't think that's possible, because it's not a different forms like Furfrou or Rotom. If you check using pk3ds Sawsbuck only have 1 form (the illustration using its autumn form), while pokemon like Rotom, Furfrou, or the Battle Bond Greninja does have different model which have its own stats and ability which can be modified as will (i remember played a hack that differs Furfrou forms to have different typings and ability)

Tinted lens Decidueye seems reasonable and i don't think of any other ability that suited it. Maybe Sniper for its archer resemblance or Keen Eye, but as you said it doesn't do good.

And i don't think you can modified the effect of an ability (for your Corrosion discussion) unless maybe you're doing script hacking which unless I'm wrong still impossible for Gen 6-7. But if just adding damage or stat increase/decrease it's possible, like the new Rapid Spin which increase user's speed.

Trace Gallade still works great for me as its benefit me when encounter Slush Rush/Sand Rush/Swift Swim/Chlorophyll enemies lol. M-Gallade can use it too, though M-Alakazam already had it.

Flower Veil affects the user too, provided it's a grass type, so the ability is, for grass types, effectively a better Leaf Guard with Clear Body, all in one. Even for singles.

The Corrosion discussion was hypothetical, by the way. I wasn't suggesting such changes, at least not yet. XD

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Howdy, I'm back once more, I was wondering if there was an efficient way to update the hack after it is applied to a ROM? I really don't want to disassemble the ROM every time I have to update it.
    Thank you in advance
    Hey, you're using citra yeah? You can follow the citra install guide, I've updated it recently and it's a now a simple copy/paste job. No need to rebuild the entire ROM anymore! You can install the newer version of the hack on top of the old CIA without any issues.

Yeah, still can't edit ability effects or complex move effects (can't make bonemerang hit flying types, for example). Sniper's a great fit for Decidueye flavor wise, but yeah it only benefits Leaf Blade and Shadow Claw. Could go with Trace for Gallade, either that or Justified would be good IMO. The extra bulk mega Gallade has would make Justified much easier to activate at least, and it makes the Beat Up trick a good option for it in doubles.

My point with Unaware is that would fit not in an airheaded perspective, but rather in a "I still see you for what you are" or "I simply don't care about your buffs" perspective, unlike the usual airheaded Unaware Pokémon. It would also fit Gallade and Mega Gallade, since that was being discussed, from that point of view. Though Defiant do seems more of a match for the oval hips psychic swordsman. (And would probably make me use Gallade, as I don't bother with physical sweepers that don't either ignore/get buffed by Intimidate (as Inner Focus now does in Sw/Sh) or have at least Mold Breaker to deal with Sturdy. I do have a hard time resisting Iron Fist and Sheer Force, truth be told.
    Ah I see what you mean; I think the effect is appropriate but not so much the ability. This'd be one of those Libero/Protean cases where the same thing with a different name would be more fitting IMO.
    Tinted Lens doesn't fit Noctowl too much, though. I believe it gets it just because of Hoothoot, as it does make sense for Hoothoot to have it. I see your reasoning, though.
    Agreed. There's no reason they couldn't have given Noctowl some other ability though, so that's good enough for me haha.

What do you think of Salazzle, by the way? I always thought Corrosion is a great ability for a bulky poison Pokémon (such as you made Swalot, even though the ability matches Garbodor way more) and that Salazzle kind of doesn't really benefit that much from it. Do you think she should have other ability (something at least somewhat useful for her, like Aroma Veil, which is still fitting) or rather Corrosion should be different (as in bypassing steel-type immunity to poison attacks like Scrappy does) and still exclusive to her and Salandit?
    Yeah, Corrosion is pretty pointless on a Fire Type IMO. I'd definitely like to see it work more like Scrappy, but also be on other Pokemon, seeing as Salazzle has no problems dealing with steel types without it. Aroma Veil seems fitting!
    I'm trying not to suggest changing it, as I would probably try to fit Mold Breaker everywhere. But then again, you didn't see me try to make everything get Bonemerang to deal with Sturdy without the need for Mold Breaker, as much as a Defiant Krookodile with Bonemerang would be something of beauty, so I guess I do have some self-control. XD
    Can't say that wouldn't be effective!
    It does sadden me a little bit that you can't include the Intimidate immunity into the abilities that were buffed in Sw/Sh. Then again, I guess if you could do that, you probably could insert the new abilities as well.
    Yeah it's a shame. If we ever get a decompiled version of USUM I'd be able to do it, but I'm nowhere near skilled enough with assembly to add abilities to a 3DS game.
    Edit: I was considering Decidueye and I see now why you ended up with Tinted Lens. Most fitting abilities doesn't seem that much impactful, such as Grass Pelt, Keen Eye, Sniper, Cursed Body or Steakout. The most impactful of the fitting ones would be Infiltrator. I guess Clear Body would be acceptable, but Tinted Lens is just as valid as Clear Body, in terms of fitting the flavor.
    I almost went with Stakeout, but the AI is too dumb for it to be useful in game. Tinted Lens is nice to deal with the many things that resist grass, and also means only normal types resist Decidueye's ghost moves.
    Looking through these abilities, I realized how incredibly good Flower Veil is on a grass Pokémon, which then made me check which Pokémon now get it, Meganium being such a great choice of yours. Other Pokémon I thought would fit the ability are Jumpluff and Sawsbuck, which, in turn, ignited a small idea on my head: what if each form of Sawsbuck had a different ability? Not all three of them, but at least one, something along these lines:

Spring: Flower Veil
    Summer: Grass Pelt/Grassy Surge
    Autumn: Soundproof
    Winter: Fur Coat/Dazzling
    Unfortunately as Izanagi-no-Bisharp said, Sawsbuck is actually one Pokemon, so it's stuck with the same abilities on all forms. No idea why, seeing as things like the Florges and Jellicent line are different forms.
    Visiting those grass Pokémon brought me to Leafeon, which I feel is weird with Filter, but I suppose we fall again on the Decidueye dilemma. Guts feels nice on Leafeon, but Flareon already has it as HA, so I guess you didn't have that many options. Flower Veil would be awesome, but not fitting, so, Clear Body, I suppose. Better than Hyper Cutter (which would make sense for those swordsmen Pokémon). There's Sap Sipper, too, which is kind of fitting with Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon.
    Yeah, Sap Sipper would fit too. We almost need a fourth ability slot for some Pokemon!

Years
  • Heya again o/... So, I been playing the hack and got myself a Whiscash and I realized that his abilities are a bit weak... From what I gathered, most people when using it (not in this hack, but in general) run anticipation to know if the opponent has a super effective move against it or not, which is ok but at same time feels so meh :V... Whiscash other abilities are Oblivious which makes sense with it's concept, but it's EXTREMELY situational imo, and Hydration (heal status on rain) which can be good but, again, feels very situational, although less than Oblivious. Maybe you could give it something like Swift Swim? I know is still situational, but it's better than freaking Oblivious xP Or maybe Water Absorb instead? Just throwing my 2 cents here xD
    Changing the subject, it has been a while since I played a hack so detailed and polished, it's awesome :D

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Heya again o/... So, I been playing the hack and got myself a Whiscash and I realized that his abilities are a bit weak... From what I gathered, most people when using it (not in this hack, but in general) run anticipation to know if the opponent has a super effective move against it or not, which is ok but at same time feels so meh :V... Whiscash other abilities are Oblivious which makes sense with it's concept, but it's EXTREMELY situational imo, and Hydration (heal status on rain) which can be good but, again, feels very situational, although less than Oblivious. Maybe you could give it something like Swift Swim? I know is still situational, but it's better than freaking Oblivious xP Or maybe Water Absorb instead? Just throwing my 2 cents here xD
    Changing the subject, it has been a while since I played a hack so detailed and polished, it's awesome :D

How about Adaptability instead of Oblivious? Catfish live almost everywhere, so it fits, and it'd help with it's mediocre Attack stat. Would also help to make it stand out from the other water/ground types.

And thanks! Glad you're enjoying it so far!

Years
  • How about Adaptability instead of Oblivious? Catfish live almost everywhere, so it fits, and it'd help with it's mediocre Attack stat. Would also help to make it stand out from the other water/ground types.

I completely forgot about Adaptability o.O Yeah, that would work really well : ) Also, thanks for replying so quickly ^^

Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2023
    How about Adaptability instead of Oblivious? Catfish live almost everywhere, so it fits, and it'd help with it's mediocre Attack stat. Would also help to make it stand out from the other water/ground types.

Adaptability? That's gonna make him OU material if this was in vanilla 😂. Alongside its DDance and Water/Ground typing it easily overwhelm Crawdaunt.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    I completely forgot about Adaptability o.O Yeah, that would work really well : ) Also, thanks for replying so quickly ^^
    No problem!
    Adaptability? That's gonna make him OU material if this was in vanilla 😂. Alongside its DDance and Water/Ground typing it easily overwhelm Crawdaunt.
    Haha, it'd definitely be a hard choice between the two. Crawdaunt still hits harder, but you're right about Whiscash's typing being far better.

Also, I've finally finished going through all the level up movesets and have just updated the game. Think I got most of the requested Pokemon changes in there too, and fixed a few errors in the documents. No trainer changes in this update; those will be done later.

Giovanni Boss

Team Rocket's Head
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2023
    No problem!

Haha, it'd definitely be a hard choice between the two. Crawdaunt still hits harder, but you're right about Whiscash's typing being far better.

Also, I've finally finished going through all the level up movesets and have just updated the game. Think I got most of the requested Pokemon changes in there too, and fixed a few errors in the documents. No trainer changes in this update; those will be done later.

It was nice going through the Pokémon changes and recognising them from.the latest discussions. :D

Did Infernape get Drain Punch and you didn't list it, or did you decide against giving it the move? Also, Incineroar has no changes to it's abilities now in the documentation, which I believe to be a documentation error.

I want to play this game so bad now P-Z has Mold Breaker. I think I'll install Photonic Sun, even though I'd rather be able to face both Sina and Dexio and have Giovanni use Mega Y instead of Mega X, just to preserve my main save, which is my Ultra Moon, not my Ultra Sun. For pretty much the same reasons. XD

Thanks for your work, Buffel. :D

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    It was nice going through the Pokémon changes and recognising them from.the latest discussions. :D

Did Infernape get Drain Punch and you didn't list it, or did you decide against giving it the move? Also, Incineroar has no changes to it's abilities now in the documentation, which I believe to be a documentation error.

I want to play this game so bad now P-Z has Mold Breaker. I think I'll install Photonic Sun, even though I'd rather be able to face both Sina and Dexio and have Giovanni use Mega Y instead of Mega X, just to preserve my main save, which is my Ultra Moon, not my Ultra Sun. For pretty much the same reasons. XD

Thanks for your work, Buffel. :D
    Oh I just forgot to give Infernape Drain Punch, will fix that. Incineroar's ability changes will require changing trainer parties too, so that'll be in a later update as that's extra work 😅. It'll definitely be done though!

You could always copy your Ultra Moon save over to Ultra Sun and then play Prismatic Moon if you really wanted to; saves from one version work with the other.

You're welcome! Hope you enjoy your mold breaking cyber duck!

Giovanni Boss

Team Rocket's Head
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2023
    Oh I just forgot to give Infernape Drain Punch, will fix that. Incineroar's ability changes will require changing trainer parties too, so that'll be in a later update as that's extra work 😅. It'll definitely be done though!

You could always copy your Ultra Moon save over to Ultra Sun and then play Prismatic Moon if you really wanted to; saves from one version work with the other.

You're welcome! Hope you enjoy your mold breaking cyber duck!

I mean the documentation now has nothing listed as Incineroar abilities, as they didn't change at all from the original game, but I suppose you erased it so you would change it later.

I'm currently contemplating why GF chose psychic as the type shared between the Alolan trio, instead of fairy. I mean, Lunala not having STAB Moonblast bothers me a little, and Necrozma's light-based attacks also strike me as fairy. Not that I would suggest it as a change, just ranting. I mean, changing it would make so the animation for Light that Burns the Sky to be mismatched in it's typing as far as trainer poses go, for one thing.

Maybe they simply didn't want to include 8 fairies in a single generation and settled with 5. Plus, Psychic Fangs looks nice on Solgaleo now. As you might have realised by now, I like 100 accuracy moves. XD

That typing thing did remind me of an old discussion about Lugia and Palkia and how they should switch their water and psychic typings.

While I'm not trying to suggest those, I wonder what you think of the subject, as I'm having quite a bit of fun here in these discussions.

What was your train of thought about giving earth power to some but not all special oriented grass types (and Florges, for that matter)? Did you grant Eternal Flower Floette Earth Power as well? I can't remember. I think Roserade didn't get it, which is why I got curious.

Speaking of Roserade, with your boost to Mega Drain, you might want to consider giving Mega Drain over Magical Leaf to Technician Roserades used by NPCs. Won't name any in particular as I avoid talking about rosters in this thread, as I feel it's a bit spoilery for some people.

I feel almost sad I'm not gonna use your changed Decidueye, since I throw the starters away due to them not being in Luxury Balls. It seems great, and ghost is my second favourite type, right behind poison. What can I say? I like purple. XD

Oh, and I remembered something you might want to give Mold Breaker to. Not a suggestion as much as me remembering something fitting: Mewtwo and its megas. Mewtwo is, pretty much, the definition of a Mold Breaker, as it burned down the lab it was built in, don't you think? It broke its own mold. XD

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    I mean the documentation now has nothing listed as Incineroar abilities, as they didn't change at all from the original game, but I suppose you erased it so you would change it later.

I'm currently contemplating why GF chose psychic as the type shared between the Alolan trio, instead of fairy. I mean, Lunala not having STAB Moonblast bothers me a little, and Necrozma's light-based attacks also strike me as fairy. Not that I would suggest it as a change, just ranting. I mean, changing it would make so the animation for Light that Burns the Sky to be mismatched in it's typing as far as trainer poses go, for one thing.

Maybe they simply didn't want to include 8 fairies in a single generation and settled with 5. Plus, Psychic Fangs looks nice on Solgaleo now. As you might have realised by now, I like 100 accuracy moves. XD

That typing thing did remind me of an old discussion about Lugia and Palkia and how they should switch their water and psychic typings.

While I'm not trying to suggest those, I wonder what you think of the subject, as I'm having quite a bit of fun here in these discussions.

What was your train of thought about giving earth power to some but not all special oriented grass types (and Florges, for that matter)? Did you grant Eternal Flower Floette Earth Power as well? I can't remember. I think Roserade didn't get it, which is why I got curious.

Speaking of Roserade, with your boost to Mega Drain, you might want to consider giving Mega Drain over Magical Leaf to Technician Roserades used by NPCs. Won't name any in particular as I avoid talking about rosters in this thread, as I feel it's a bit spoilery for some people.

I feel almost sad I'm not gonna use your changed Decidueye, since I throw the starters away due to them not being in Luxury Balls. It seems great, and ghost is my second favourite type, right behind poison. What can I say? I like purple. XD

Oh, and I remembered something you might want to give Mold Breaker to. Not a suggestion as much as me remembering something fitting: Mewtwo and its megas. Mewtwo is, pretty much, the definition of a Mold Breaker, as it burned down the lab it was built in, don't you think? It broke its own mold. XD
    Oh I see. The Alola starters (and all the fossils) originally had their hidden abilities as their second abilities, and that was mentioned elsewhere instead of in their changes sections, so that's why there's no change listed for Incineroar.

Psychic seems to be GF's go-to type for legendaries and anything vaguely space related, so I'd guess that's all it was. It's also hard to fit other types to them (though there's always the "why isn't the sun legendary a fire type?" argument), but yeah I can see fairy fitting too.

IMO Lugia could be any combination of water, flying, psychic and even dragon and still make sense. Palkia's water typing seems like it should have been on Dialga to me (maybe "the flow of time" isn't an expression in Japan? IDK).

I think Roserade missed out on Earth Power because it already had a pretty colorful move pool for a grass type, but now that Venusaur of all things has it I might as well give it Roserade too. Florges gets it for the same reason I gave it Leech Seed; it's part flower/plant or something. Not a grass type, but gets moves that most grass types get.

I think all the NPC Technician Roserades are packing Leaf Storm instead (generally I try to keep the random trainers vanilla as it makes things easier for me), but yeah I had Roserade in mind when making that change.

My buffed Decidueye is definitely stronger than the original, but it still doesn't like all the things that hit it super effectively lol.

Haha, I guess Mewtwo is a very literal mold breaker.

Giovanni Boss

Team Rocket's Head
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2023
    Oh I see. The Alola starters (and all the fossils) originally had their hidden abilities as their second abilities, and that was mentioned elsewhere instead of in their changes sections, so that's why there's no change listed for Incineroar.

Psychic seems to be GF's go-to type for legendaries and anything vaguely space related, so I'd guess that's all it was. It's also hard to fit other types to them (though there's always the "why isn't the sun legendary a fire type?" argument), but yeah I can see fairy fitting too.

IMO Lugia could be any combination of water, flying, psychic and even dragon and still make sense. Palkia's water typing seems like it should have been on Dialga to me (maybe "the flow of time" isn't an expression in Japan? IDK).

I think Roserade missed out on Earth Power because it already had a pretty colorful move pool for a grass type, but now that Venusaur of all things has it I might as well give it Roserade too. Florges gets it for the same reason I gave it Leech Seed; it's part flower/plant or something. Not a grass type, but gets moves that most grass types get.

I think all the NPC Technician Roserades are packing Leaf Storm instead (generally I try to keep the random trainers vanilla as it makes things easier for me), but yeah I had Roserade in mind when making that change.

My buffed Decidueye is definitely stronger than the original, but it still doesn't like all the things that hit it super effectively lol.

Haha, I guess Mewtwo is a very literal mold breaker.

Never occurred to me this "flow of time" thought, but it does make sense.

Usually, when playing Pokémon, if my opponents manage to hit me, I feel like I'm playing it wrong, (at least in-game, not Battle Tower/Tree whatever) which kind of explains my fixation on Mold Breaker and my reluctance in using anything with base speed lower than 80.

In your hack, though, I guess I will eventually be hit by faster stuff, which I won't say I don't mind, but will probably be somewhat of a refreshing experience. I actually don't mind too much something surviving my hits because their defense is high, but the sturdy gets a little bit on my nerves. This run of US I did these days was quite fun, though, even if I used something quite slow and not that strong, my chosen duo for the run (I always choose two Pokémon and go with them, to leave room for training stuff for the dex and my Breloom and Smeargle catchers) being Malamar and Pelipper (just so I could not die immediately to Guzma's First Impression, mainly). I can't express how rewarding it was to topsy-turvy every single totem fight in the game. Turning their auras agains them felt SO rewarding. The Contrary was a nice thing, too, if only to laugh at Intimidaters.

One thing I came to notice in this run is that the A.I. simply don't know how to deal with Contrary. In some cases, they would keep boosting my stats even after they'd already triggered Contrary once. Poor A.I..

I believe I could do a similar thing with Hitmontop in PS/PM, but stealing the auras with Luvdisc and baton passing it seems a bit funnier. Powering through them might not be as easy with their higher levels, now, at least.

I'm still finishing hunting the wormholes legendaries in US, to have everything with my OT, in order to play PS (though I'd still rather see Giovanni use Mega Mewtwo Y, as I find X ugly, as well as it missing its signature move), so I will be here loathing the game designer who though it was a good idea to add curves to the Ultra Warp Ride minigame for a while before experiencing your changes.

As there's no National Dex (and I understand why), I'm wondering if I should simply insert my living Dex at the start of the game or if I should hunt for the Pokémon in-game. Maybe if I build a living Dex it will feel like completing the pages.

Did you change the Battle Agency Pokémon to fit with the hack changes, by the way? Though I suppose we wouldn't get the visitor Pokémon to complete the team, so maybe that's not worth the effort? Battle Factory style things are enjoyable to me, and I got a little curious about it now.

Back