• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Considerations

Years
  • So, a Pokemon rp of mine with a plotline I was really interested in exploring dropped dead due to some unlucky circumstances and I'm considering re-using that story in a fic composed of short chapters. My first foray into fan fiction I suppose.

That being said, I don't need to use the exact same setting and my character from the RP, whilst I like her a lot, I feel is poorly suited to be the central protagonist. I thought it might be fun to get a little input from others then as I consider going forward.

1. Would you be interested in seeing a story told in an updated, alternate version (as in time having past etc) of one of the main Pokemon regions or would you be more interested in being introduced to an entirely new region. I love worldbuilding so I have no issues with doing either.

2. Are there any non-legendary mon you'd be particularly interested in seeing featured throughout the plot?

No promises that I will actually end up going about this but the thoughts been in my head for a few days now so I figure input like this might help me make the decision.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • So, a Pokemon rp of mine with a plotline I was really interested in exploring dropped dead due to some unlucky circumstances and I'm considering re-using that story in a fic composed of short chapters. My first foray into fan fiction I suppose.
    My condolences, sorry to hear. On the other hand, good to hear that you are already considering recovering and reusing some of the elements of the story so that they can live on in a sense.

1. Would you be interested in seeing a story told in an updated, alternate version (as in time having past etc) of one of the main Pokemon regions or would you be more interested in being introduced to an entirely new region. I love worldbuilding so I have no issues with doing either.

While in the end it is absolutely your choice, I'll say I prefer Original Regions™ when when there's lot of well-connected worldbuilt material written for. Basically not just "here's a town" but stuff like the culture, myth, lore and folklore, what makes the slice of life (what groceries do they get, what sports do they watch on TV vs play at their backyards) and what is their take on Pokémon Training.

As for Canon Regions™ I guess I like alternate histories (eg.: different takes on the events of the mainline games) than pre/post-canons, if only mostly because they also tend to be more relatable when you read webcomics built around the idea.

Luck with your plans!

Bay

Years
  • Me personally I prefer canon regions set in the future/AU because you already have the info on the region and cities and it's fun putting on your own spin there. I don't mind original regions too, but ones in Pokemon fics tend to be harder for me to track the cities and its culture. I'll be fine whatever you decide though!

As for Pokemon, I don't really have any preferences. Go wild, haha.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Yeah, choose what you want with Pokemon. They're all interesting in their own right, it comes down to what you do with them!

I'd say my own preference is seeing what people do with an established, canon region in fics, as often with fanmade, full regions in fics you lack worldbuilding or consistency. But if you can do that well, go for it!

Back