• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon remakes

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
yesitis.gif

With the main series games, remakes of older generation games into the current generation seem to be a mainstay in Nintendo and Game Freak's release formula. But, what if they were to, say, remake Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, e.g. Red/Blue Rescue Team, and possibly even make it cross-platform like before? As said in the GIF, is such a thing even possible? Personally, I think so.

Do you think PMD remakes are a good idea? Do you think they are plausible? Should they be on the 3DS, or on its successor platform (or, cross-platform, as mentioned earlier)? What changes do you think should be made in the supposed remakes, e.g. formula modifications, etc.? Discuss!

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Imo remakes as full-fledged remakes are a bad idea.
Because... remakes would mean that not all Pokemon would be included.

I have no idea why they wouldn't include newer Pokemon in a remake. The only reason they weren't in the game, was because they weren't created yet. So since they weren't excluded for a reason, I doubt they will be excluded for no reason if a remake exists?

I don't think remakes of spin-offs will happen. The spin-offs aren't even that huge, anyway. I think that if Nintendo wants to make any money off of them they are just better off making new versions. Besides, all of the versions can still be played on a Nintendo DS, so it's not as if they are unplayable. (Red doesn't count as its counterpart, Blue, is almost the exact same and is on the DS)

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I have no idea why they wouldn't include newer Pokemon in a remake. The only reason they weren't in the game, was because they weren't created yet. So since they weren't excluded for a reason, I doubt they will be excluded for no reason if a remake exists?
Because it would kill the point of remake.
If you want to include aspect that wasn't there before, it's more like a new game than actual remake.
Since OP specifically mentioned "remakes" I stated that "remakes" wouldn't have new Pokemon :D
I mean... if you include new things, why bother with remaking? =D

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Because it would kill the point of remake.
If you want to include aspect that wasn't there before, it's more like a new game than actual remake.
Since OP specifically mentioned "remakes" I stated that "remakes" wouldn't have new Pokemon :D
I mean... if you include new things, why bother with remaking? =D

So the fact that they added new Pokemon in HGSS completely killed the point of the remake? Not the fact that the point of the remake was to bring the games to the current generation with updated graphics and mechanics?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
It was just one generation, PMDs would get 3 generation, that's too much imo =)

HGSS was two generations - Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokemon. ORAS is adding Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos Pokemon. And it's not as if they have to add all of the Pokemon of every generation - PMD is selective in the ones it includes, anyway. Sorry, I'm just trying to point out that you shouldn't rule out a remake just because of how far behind the current generation the games are.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
HGSS was two generations - Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokemon. ORAS is adding Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos Pokemon. And it's not as if they have to add all of the Pokemon of every generation - PMD is selective in the ones it includes, anyway. Sorry, I'm just trying to point out that you shouldn't rule out a remake just because of how far behind the current generation the games are.
Oh, you are right... I forgot Hoenn...
But it's still 3 generations away... don't you think that's really too old? ;)

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 29, 2016
i think its possible but i would think it would take sometime for it to happen

Years
i would prefer them to just make new 2D Mystery Dungeon games for DS, or maybe 3DS with few 3D effects that B2W2 had

PMD Explorers of Sky is pretty much a remake of Explorers of Time and Darkness, but except for side stories and a side quest after you beat the game (which are all really short) it didn't add anything.

I don't expect the PMD games story to change if they are remade, all it would do is add 300 more pokemon to recruit, which nobody would probably bother with anyway except for legendaries.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I think they would consider making a Gen VI PMD on 3DS first before remaking Red and Blue. Hopefully with similar graphics as Gates to Infinity but with a better story and more Pokemon available(particularly more Pokemon to play as).

blue

gucci
Years
I can't believe the Mystery Dungeon series is old enough to be eligible for remakes, I loved the Mystery Dungeon series too! But erm yeah, I'd really like a remake of one of the games, more particularly Explorers of the Sky.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years
I doubt remakes of spin-off games would exist but I do think more "versions" of the game series would appear. I don't really see the point in a remake for a spin-off game anyway, unless it was extremely old and outdated. Even then, they aren't as big as a "generation" so I highly doubt it.

I do hope they make more Mystery Dungeon games because the graphics in Gates to Infinity are really nice.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
As much as I love the pokemon mystery dungeon games, (more than most think) they just don't need a remake. putting it bluntly, they are perfect the way they are.

To be more honest, I don't want to see nintendo ruin my childhood by messing with them. way too risky...

Years
I can't see GF making remakes of PMD games. As good as the PMD games may be, they aren't as popular as the main series. Releasing main games--remakes of main games included--seems to influence people's decisions to buy the newest handheld if they don't own it already, thus getting Nintendo more money in addition to the purchase of the games. Why remake something that isn't as popular and thus wouldn't bring more money in? Plus, given how the PMD series doesn't have as many games released as often as the main series do, it'd seem more likely for more PMD games to be released than create remakes.

That being said, I can see two possible routes GF could take in "reviving" them: for one thing, they could create PMD that take place in the same setting(s) as the past games (Pokemon Square, Treasure Town, etc.) and introduce new dungeons. Since mystery dungeons seem to be things that pop up, I wouldn't be surprised if more popped up since the end of the events in the previous games. A more plausible approach, however, would be to make the older games available in the eShop. Of course, right now they only have GBC games available (and none being Pokemon, including spin-offs), but it is possible that they'll eventually allow GBA and DS games to be downloadable at some point (though the latter probably wouldn't become available 'til DS games can no longer be played on the current system(s)).

Blake Belladonna

*insert fancy usertitle here*
Years
I doubt there'd be remakes as well. I think GF would probably just dish out more sequels, to try and accompany each new generation. Don't think remakes would help PMD anyway. Especially if it's remakes of Infinity.

Aetheral Meowstic

Aetheral Meowstic
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 14, 2021
I plan on remaking Red Rescue Team in Unreal Engine 4. Be prepared for a Mystery Dungeon experience like no other!

P.S. I won't change the story (except for the fact that I'm giving Pelipper a zippered mail bag). You know the types of cinematic cutscenes featured in AAA games? Yeah, this remake will be AAA quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back