• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen 7 PokeBank OU team

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    This is the team I've using in OU for my time in the S/M meta so far, am looking for help on it.

Ninetales-Alola (F) @ Light Clay
    Ability: Snow Warning
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
    - Aurora Veil
    - Freeze-Dry
    - Moonblast
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Sandslash-Alola @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Slush Rush
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Icicle Crash
    - Iron Head
    - Earthquake
    - Rapid Spin

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 76 SpD
    Calm Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Scald
    - Recover
    - Haze
    - Toxic Spikes

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Stealth Rock
    - Leech Seed
    - Power Whip
    - Gyro Ball

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 SpD
    Careful Nature
    - Foul Play
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Recover
    - Fake Out

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
    Ability: Electric Surge
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - U-turn
    - Roost
    - Brave Bird
    - Wild Charge

The primary core is of Toxapex/Ferrothorn/Mega Sableye, which forms a pretty good defensive core, as the three of them cover each other fairly well, with the only offensive thing that strikes me as a real problem is Tapu Lele (think of it being sorta like the not-available-now Mega Gardevoir). Toxapex is pretty important given that it is afaik the only real switch-in to Pheromosa right now.

Snow Warning Alolan Ninetales supports the core by being the only Pokemon to both get Aurora Veil and auto-summon Hail, allowing it to (temporarily) bolster their already good defense quickly. Get a little chip damage in there as well.

This is where it starts to get less solid though. I put in Alola Sandslash in part just to try and play with another one of Hail's new toys, but I also wanted a 'mon to spin (has to be Rapid Spin so I don't fuck with my own, which this team needs) hazards away, as I don't like relying solely on Mega Sable to handle hazards. Alolan Sandslash is unfortunately seeming like a poor man's Excadrill. It gets a weather speed boosting ability, Iron Head+Earthquake+Rapid Spin, but has an arguably even worse defensive typing than Exca, is slower, has less Attack, etc.

The final slot atm has gone to Melemele guardian Tapu Koko, as the team is in need of Speed and Koko boasts an impressive base 130 Speed. The rest of the team is also walled by Skarmory and Celesteela and so I need something for that too. I have no idea what one does for a Tapu Koko set though. This just seemed ok to me since it works off of it's higher offensive stat, and Roost means it doesn't get worn down super easy (I don't like stuff getting worn down), while U-Turn allows it to escape Ground types, especially Dugtrio, and other shit.

The other major problem with the team is that it lacks the ability to break opposing walls--Koko, Sandslash, and Ninetales all lack the sheer power needed to wallbreak. It's particularly bad against Tapu Lele+Heatran really, those two hassle the team immensely. That and powerful Ground types can be slightly problematic as well.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I don't think Sandslash needs Assault Vest. It needs Life Orb to increase its power further. You might want to give Sandslash Swords Dance over Rapid Spin; Mega Sableye can control hazards with some prediction.

As weird as this sounds, Tapu Koko is better as a special attacker because Wild Charge inflicts recoil on it, which wears it down even faster with Hail and Roost. If you still want Koko to have a reasonable physical move, try squeezing Brave Bird in there somewhere:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Dazzling Gleam/Grass Knot/Taunt
    -Volt Switch/U-turn
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    Nature: Timid/Naive
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

If you still don't like the aspect of relying on Mega Sableye alone, try using Tapu Fini as your hazard clearer over Toxapex. Sure, you can't burn most things with Scald while Misty Terrain is active, but you can still burn fliers and Levitators with it at least:
    -Scald
    -Moonblast
    -Taunt
    -Defog/Nature's Madness
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/180 Def/16 SDef/60 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    If you still don't like the aspect of relying on Mega Sableye alone, try using Tapu Fini as your hazard clearer over Toxapex. Sure, you can't burn most things with Scald while Misty Terrain is active, but you can still burn fliers and Levitators with it at least:
    -Scald
    -Moonblast
    -Taunt
    -Defog/Nature's Madness
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/180 Def/16 SDef/60 Spe
    Item: Leftovers
    Don't do this, or otherwise half your team will be steamrolled by Pheromosa.

You're could probably get away with replacing Sandslash-Alola with a wallbreaker like Tapu Bulu or Hoopa-Unbound.

Years
    • Seen today
    I feel like Magnezone is a really huge issue for your team, since it's only threatened by one of your Pokémon. It traps Ferrothorn, which I assume is your answer to a lot of Pokémon. Sure, Magnezone can be played around, but you have to make the correct turn and one error could cost you the game.

An electric immunity would be really helpful for your team. It also helps to at least have a Ground resist. Landorus seems like a Pokémon that fits both of those categories, but I don't know if it deals with other threats well enough. I haven't been playing much lately, so this is the best I suggestion I can give you.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    So I've made some changes and it looks like this now:

Spoiler:

Decided to completely forgo all Hail stuff. Alolan Ninetales is nice but it wasn't doing much besides Aurora Veil, and was hard to get in sometimes. At least like this I have some sort of wallbreaker now and a hazard remover that doesn't lose to/struggle with Magnezone. Though Lati wishes it could run both HP Fire and Psychic STAB.

But, y'know, more feedback is still good.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • For a team that is hazard heavy, Rapid Spin > Defog. You don't want to waste turns setting hazards just to remove them and then set up again.

I'd suggest replacing Tapu Koko with Zapdos (who takes on Celesteela better thanks to resisting Heavy Slam/immune to earthquake/pressure stall) and Latias with Mold Breaker Excadrill (not only does it grant you a Rapid Spinner, but you can put Toxic on it and find a way to hit Rotom-W hard on the switch via Earthquake and Poison MSableye with Mold Breaker) Excadrill with the right investment can take a few Dragon moves, easing the pressure on Ferrothorn to sponge attacks. Exacdrill also beats Magnezone without fear.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 180 SpD / 20 Spe
    Calm Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Roost
    - Hidden Power Ice
    - Heat Wave

Heat Wave is more for Ferrothorn who might come in and try and set up. These EV's were practically lifted from Smogon, but they do beat MPinsir. Life Orb Pheromosa can only muster a 2HKO so you can revenge kill it if need be (Thunderbolt almost OHKO's). Any other item results in a 3HKO. It at least eases the pressure on Toxapex having to switch in to deal with it. The HP and Speed mean you don't die 4 times to Stealth Rocks and outspeed +Speed nature base 60.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 224 HP / 252 SpD / 32 Spe
    Careful Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Iron Head
    - Rapid Spin
    - Toxic

Those particular EV's means that Excadrill outspeeds neutral base 60 (inc Magnezone) while Zone will only manage a 3HKO with Timid Specs after Leftovers. Scarf Modest (which you'll never see, since Scarf needs all the speed it can get) only has a 5% chance to 2HKO

You could probably replace Landorus with something else as a win condition. Maybe SD Gliscor (Poison Heal > Lum)? I'm struggling to think of what would be the best Pokemon if you take my suggestions. Would probably have to envision the team and see what Pokemon beats it.

Last edited:
    Back