• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do so many romhacks skip out on custom music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    I'm gonna assume the answer is that there's more artists out there than musicians? Certainly the amount of knowledge and work involved in making sprite edits is way less than is required to edit music, let alone create a new tune from scratch.

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    ^ That, and the fact that music hacking is generally finicky. For years all we had was Sappy which is... well... horrible.

Years
    • Online now
    All of the above, plus one more thing in my view. Lots of players play while speeding up and therefore mute their game, or mute their game regardless. Therefore, the sound/music of the game will have less urgency than the graphics for a romhacker.

Every player of a romhack experiences the graphics, but not every player experiences the music/sound.

Last edited:

Karl

Creator of [b]Pokémon Darkfire[/b]
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Totally agree.

For me, music is one of the biggest factors in games. In my opinion, bad music can really impact a game negatively.

Good music, on the other hand, brings a whole new dimension to gaming. When I experience nostalgia, it's usually from the music, not the actual gameplay.

I anchor thoughts and feelings to music, so when that same music played back after many years, those same thoughts and feelings come back and it brings with it an amazing opportunity to reflect, almost like the same way meditation does.

That's why with my own hack, custom music is a must. So I became a musician. I took the time to learn how to create, edit and insert custom tracks to give the game that extra dimension I felt as a kid, and again years later.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
  • Music Composition, or even Music insertion is a skill that some find hard to start on, or even master.

It's much easier to use what's already there!

Wobb

Wynaut
    Years
  • I've always wanted custom music in my hack, but I don't know anything about music, and there aren't many musicians... :(
    So, I've just been stealing music from other games.

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    You lot have inspired me to start making music using Pokemon GBA Soundfonts.

Check back with me in a month or so, I'll have some tracks for people to use. :)

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • Pretty sure there are as many musicians and composers as there are designers. Most have relied on Sappy for several years, and was a rather unstable program, with bugs, due to the limitations that Visual Basic 6 had. That's pretty much why some people gave up trying to learn how to hack music into the game, or even replace any sound data in general.

Now that we have GBA Music Studio, which is designed to replace Sappy altogether, things are about to change! It will make music editing a whole lot easier, and since it's written in C#, there's less limitations and more functionality to open, export, import and compile MIDIs and export, import and replace soundfonts (aka samples/waves). There's also plans for GBA Music Studio to have functionality with all the decompilation (aka Pret) projects as well. It also has support for Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga sound format.

As time goes on, more and more people will be interested in creating original music from scratch or even remix music from other games.

Even though Sappy and GBA Music Studio are both open source, I really do see GBA Music Studio being used much more often, as one of the easiest to use as well, and continuously improved with more sound engines supported.

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2022
    Maybe people are skipping out on music because for some reason this site is banning the pokemon romhack with the best and most extensive custom soundtrack ever...

Karl

Creator of [b]Pokémon Darkfire[/b]
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Maybe people are skipping out on music because for some reason this site is banning the pokemon romhack with the best and most extensive custom soundtrack ever...

Care to elaborate?

Years
  • This thread appears to have been created with the intent of eventually being derailed to fuel an unrelated topic. ROM Hacking Discussions is not the venue to discuss this matter.

Thanks for contributions from those interested; for anyone interested in continuing the subject matter of custom music, please continue the discussion in a new thread.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back