• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Final Fantasy

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024

One of, if not the most well-known franchise from Square Enix, Final Fantasy has been around since the 80s, and is currently on its 15th installment (not counting the numerous spin-offs). The series throughout the years has been known for its beautiful soundtracks, generally good graphics and art style, and in-depth storytelling. Most have been turn-based JRPGs, but they have been known to branch out here and there with different genres and gameplay.

Are you a fan of the franchise? Which one(s) would you say are your favourites? Any you really did not like in particular?

Do you enjoy the classic turn-based RPGs more, or are you glad to see when Final Fantasy games stray from their typical gameplay and style?​

Broad questions to start, and you definitely don't have to answer them, but feel free to talk about anything related to the franchise!

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
    Years
  • currently on its 15th installment (not counting the numerous spin-offs).
    And still developing via DLC releases! Hopefully the series going forward is developed as a complete game.

• Are you a fan of the franchise? Which one(s) would you say are your favourites? Any you really did not like in particular?
    Yes, I would like to think I am an avid fan, though---as detailed in the above comment---I am not a fan in the current direction Square Enix is going with the core Final Fantasy series. If anything, hopefully learning the lessons of the (financial) success & survey conducted by Famitsu magazine, Square Enix will use this as a cautionary tale of abandoning their core turn-based formula---and a possible remake of FFVI.

My favorite overall Final Fantasy game would have to be Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions PSP remaster of the PS1 version. First, I eat up strategy Role-Playing Games like a child getting a sugar high---emphasis on the tactical grid-based gameplay aspects. With that, having I would say as having a stellar political story with fantasy elements makes the experience much more engaging than mere playing battles on grid-based maps. Though I like the job system application of the GBA & DS games a bit better, the PSP version I would say implements gameplay, story mechanics, and characterization most effectively that fixes most issues present in the original PS1 version.

As for my favorite core series game, I nomination would go to Final Fantasy V Advance. Though the story is serviceable (also compared to a Dragon Quest plot) & characters aren't too serious, the job system mechanics are where this game truly shines (which is what I look for in games). Worthy of note that the job system & classes included have had an impact on the rest of the series.​

• Do you enjoy the classic turn-based RPGs more, or are you glad to see when Final Fantasy games stray from their typical gameplay and style?
    As I have mentioned before, Square=Enix abandoning their turn-based formula has been proven to be a mistake for the series; thus, it goes without saying that I enjoy the turn-based model more than the action-RPG model, and hopefully not going action with RPG elements.

My argument for SE wanting to veer toward an action combat system would be to create a new franchise for this purpose. Though, I would say we already have several examples of these via Kingdom Hearts & Star Ocean.​

Last edited:
    Years
  • Didn't realise the series was that old. Tbh I've never tried one. RPGs aren't usually my thing, but maybe I'll try a demo one time...

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
    Years
  • If you have a Nintendo Switch you should be able to play the Octopath Traveler demo. Yes this is not a Final Fantasy franchise game but will give you an idea of what the classic Final Fantasy turn-based experience was like with a graphical overhaul. In fact, the game was inspired by Final Fantasy VI. Also, if you have a 3DS, you could try the Bravely Default demo---assuming it's still available on the eShop.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    My favorite overall Final Fantasy game would have to be Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions PSP remaster of the PS1 version. First, I eat up strategy Role-Playing Games like a child getting a sugar high---emphasis on the tactical grid-based gameplay aspects. With that, having I would say as having a stellar political story with fantasy elements makes the experience much more engaging than mere playing battles on grid-based maps. Though I like the job system application of the GBA & DS games a bit better, the PSP version I would say implements gameplay, story mechanics, and characterization most effectively that fixes most issues present in the original PS1 version.
    I have heard War of the Lions is better than Tactics Advance 2, and I've only played the latter - I still thoroughly enjoyed the gameplay of TA2 (same grid-based stuff) but I think people did not like the characters or story much in general. I don't know that much about War of the Lions but considering how much fun I had with A2, it's definitely worth looking into for me.

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
    Years
  • I think a better comparison of FFTA2 would be its GBA predecessor would FFTA.

FFTA's plot is a bit watered down compared to then the original PS1 release of FFT, and the job/ability system is a bit simpler compared to FFT (with elements of FFV (classes) & FFIX (ability acquisition)---which I desire more). Though, with the GBA version, you can manipulate where you place towns & various other terrain for items. Not the mention the infamous law system where your characters can go to jail for violating the law during battle.

Of course, as you know with FFTA2, the more jobs were added, some were replaced, and some jobs were 'balanced' from the GBA version. Also, the treasure hunt map I mentioned in the above comment was removed, and you don't have a jail in-game.

FFT: WotL is vastly a different game compared to those two, namely in terms of characterization & story---which (IMO) are vastly superior. Though, the class system in FFT is more complex in comparison to the other two, and the overall gameplay has a different vibe compared to the other two. That said, I would recommend getting the PSP version. The remastered version, I would argue, is the definitive version: cleaner translation, smoother UI, added playable character, animated cutscenes, etc. Though, as a word of caution, there is a slowdown that exists with the UMD but is apparently fixed with patches found online.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I love Final Fantasy, but I've really only ever played up to Final Fantasy 7, plus a few spinoffs here and there. My favourite Final Fantasy games would have to be Final Fantasy 5 and Final Fantasy Tactics. For Final Fantasy Tactics, both the PS version and the WoTL version are good, but I've played more of the WoTL version. There is an exploit in the PS version that I liked to abuse whenever I wanted to dick around with the game, though. I've also played FFTA, which was also fun! As you may notice, I loved the games where I'm able to control which "classes" or "jobs" I turn my characters into.

Not really a fan of the way the newer Final Fantasy games are heading. I love turn-based classic RPGs, so I'm glad Square Enix recently published a similar game (Bravely Default, although that game was seriously lackluster towards the end; I'm still looking forward to playing Bravely Second, I've just been too busy!)

This post has become way more of a rant though, so I'll end this here haha

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I remember that video you made trying to get Marche killed in the snowball fight

It will be forever immortalized in that YouTube channel that I will never be able to access to again. I had a couple of other Final Fantasy videos in there too :p

(btw I was trying to kill Newt because fuck that guy)

Last edited:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen yesterday
    6, 9 and 8 are my faves. 6 and 9 are interchangable, 8 isnt as good as most of them but ive always really liked it

KingRazor

Pokemon Master Since 1999
    Years
  • I love turn based RPGs. I like the Final Fantasy games mostly, although I've only played 6, 7, 9, and 10.

Years
  • Only ever played Final Fantasy Tactics for the PlayStation since friend loved it. Well, guess it's more of watched than played, since it was her game and I preferred to be the bystander and judge all her actions ahah.

Otherwise, FFXIV. Not sure how much it counts since it's a subscription-based MMO, but it is a very important game that helps me relieve stress. The characters & story are absolutely astounding.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I wanna play some FF14 mainly for that excelsor MMORPG experience that I haven't had since i soft quitted GW2.

I've played pretty much every FF game there is to date, including that dastard of a bastard mobile abomination called Final Fantasy All the Bravest and that FF15 mobile game. oh boy, surviving a day without tilting knowing that I've played such abominations is a challenge of its own.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Final Fantasy Mystic Quest on the SNES was pretty much my first RPG. It was a designed as a game for beginners, but even as a kid, it was still too difficult for me, lol. I've played 1 through 10 in it's entirety, and haven't given 12 a second shot yet, and only played some of 13 before getting bored. I think my favorites are probably FFV and FFIX.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2023
    I can call myself a fan of Final Fantasy. Still, I am already a retired fan because I got acquainted with the universe of this great game back in the early 2000s when my parents bought a PS1.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • I got into it after playing Kingdom Hearts of all games believe it or not and ever since then I've been hooked. I even ventured outside of the games that were featured in the first Kingdom Hearts game. Some weren't as good as others obviously and some I liked when most hated (what a shock) but it is and probably will always be my all-time favorite JRPG series and franchise with Persona probably being a close second.

I'm super hyped for FF16.

Back