• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Diglett used Sucker Punch!

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • I fought a Diglett the other day in SoulSilver, man was that weird. How it knows Sucker Punch I have no idea. Also Scratch, or Slash, or anything involving, well... hands.

What are some of the weirdest Pokémon movesets? For example, Pokémon that can learn moves that make no physical sense, as per my Diglett example, or Pokémon that can't learn moves that they should physically be able too. Nobody ever said the games made logical sense, so I'm sure there are plenty of examples of weirdness here.

I'd also like to take this time to question the fact that nearly every Pokémon can learn TM06 Toxic. Uh, anybody know if there's a reason behind that or something? That's mystified me for ages.

HyperMorian

Busy with University.
    Years
  • Assuming Sucker Punch is translated into Surprise Attack from Japanese, it's kinda possible for things that can do fast movements like that to have that move.
    Still not certain on how the bottom of a Diglett and Dugtrio looks like, based on moles, I believe they have claws of some sort hidden beneath the ground. (One claimed to have feet tho.)

Cryogonal and Mew capable of learning Attract. It's Genderless, it can't seduce other Pokémon if they can't assume their gender first. e_e

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I remember making commentary in a past thread about my frustration and confusion behind Hariyama learning Whirlwind. It was frustrating because it was when I was replaying Emerald and I was trying to grind my team in Victory Road, all the Hariyama's would Whirlwind me away right before I could KO them.
    I remember yelling at the game, "Hariyama is a huge Sumo Wrestler! How the hell can it whip up a whirlwind!?!"

Guest123_x1

I never could figure out how Diglett and Dugtrio, which have no visible paws or claws, could learn Scratch and Slash. Same with Doduo and Dodrio being able to be taught Fly, despite having no visible wings, yet Dragonite couldn't learn that HM in Generation I (Charizard couldn't in Red/Green/Blue either, but added that capability in Yellow).

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Same with Doduo and Dodrio being able to be taught Fly, despite having no visible wings, yet Dragonite couldn't learn that HM in Generation I (Charizard couldn't in Red/Green/Blue either, but added that capability in Yellow).

Diglett used Sucker Punch!

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    How does a Ryhdon get so soggy and wet while using Surf? It's twice it's weakness and just get wet is worsen it.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Pupitar apparently can learn Brick break :psy copy: . I mean yeah the other 2 members of it's line have arms and can also learn it but it's still funny to point out. Also similar things like Wooper and Ice punch (tho for that one I think it just punches with it's tail) and Shroomish and Focus punch. Makes sense for the evos but not so much for the mons themselves

Smash Brony

Cool Dude
    Years
  • Gastly learning the Elemental Punches, Rhydon knowing Surf, and Golurk having the ability to Fly. Like, how?
    I actually have a card that shows Golurk with it's hands & lower extremities replaced with rocket boosters, so I'm guessing it can morph somewhat?

Also, I think that Diglett & Dugtrio uses scratching moves by using rocks with sharp edges.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • Pikachu can learn Pay Day. I always thought it was exclusive to the Meowth line, but it was a TM in Gen 1. How can Ampharos learn Thunder Punch? Its arms are so stubby! Yet Ampharos learns Thunder Punch naturally through level up. I always thought the Softboiled TM in Gen 1 was weird. Only Chansey could learn it. Why make a TM for a move that only one Pokemon [Not including Mew] can learn?

Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen Jan 17, 2023
    How can Primeape learn Overheat?

I think Granbull gets it, too.

Primeape getting Thunderbolt; there's another odd one.

Edit: Oh yeah, Mewtwo gets Dive in OR/AS for some reason.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • How can Ampharos learn Thunder Punch? Its arms are so stubby! Yet Ampharos learns Thunder Punch naturally through level up.

I dunno, I think it just extends it's arms somehow to punch the opponent. I think the same can be said with Breloom and Mach punch.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I actually have a card that shows Golurk with it's hands & lower extremities replaced with rocket boosters, so I'm guessing it can morph somewhat?

Yeah I'm guessing that's probably the case for both Golurk and Genesect.

Snorlax Selfdestruct? Lickilicky Explosion? Is it because they're fat?

Smash Brony

Cool Dude
    Years
  • Yeah I'm guessing that's probably the case for both Golurk and Genesect.

Snorlax Selfdestruct? Lickilicky Explosion? Is it because they're fat?
    I don't know about Snorlax, but maybe Lickilicky's saliva has explosive properties like Brachydios?
    By the way, Brachydios is a Brute Wyvern from the Monster Hunter series.

Back