• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen4 remake speculation

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • Firstly, if a similar thread is already here or on another subforum, I apologise, feel free to move this. Back to the thread, there are two questions:

1. How urgent are you for new remakes and
    2. What would you like to see in the remakes when they come out?

As you know, gen4 is easily my favourite generation for the time being, but for remakes, I'm not massively urgent on them, I'm just hoping it would come out anytime during the earlier part of the decade.

As for things I'd like to see, I'd rather not have it be a total reskin of the games. Instead, maybe have the main story act out like say Plat's plot, then once we beat the game, we go into the sequel. I mean, at the end of Plat it was said the villain boss wasn't keen on giving up just yet.

And that said, more characterisation on the villians and why they are doing this too. I'd like to know why they would make a new world.

And also, possible regional forms for creatures that debuted gen5 and onwards. Increasing the dex would be a good idea as a whole too because a dex of less than 300 seems kinda small for current gen standards (By Plat there were 210 mons in the dex)

Years
  • so, kind of a rant.

at first, i was excited about the possibility of a gen 4 remake. but considering how ORAS was done, i'm not really so confident, anymore. that's not to say that ORAS was bad (in fact, i quite enjoyed the games), but it's odd how one of the biggest things that made Emerald enjoyable (battle frontier) was cut in favour of a one time post-game episode that you won't have the opportunity to do again except if you start all over again from scratch.

this leaves me worried not even really just because of the battle frontier in Platinum, but also im wondering if the distortion world would also end up getting cut, as well. i mean, it shouldn't, given that sky pillar wasn't really cut in ORAS, but Game Freak can very well have other plans with Giratina and they might make a whole separate storyline around it. im wary about this approach, since i believe distortion world, to this day, is probably one of the better and more unique ways (as far as pokemon is concerned, anyway) of encountering/catching a legendary.

before ORAS, i thought a hypothetical R/S remake would probably incorporate some elements of Emerald. i didn't expect a 1:1 copypaste of Emerald's version of Aqua vs Magma but at the very least, some acknowledgement that it held some significance. a complete omission, however, was something that caught me fairly off-guard (i mean, it is a very faithful R/S remake, so i guess i should've expected the such), which has me worried about what kind of approach Game Freak is going to take with Platinum in the gen 4 remakes. D/P was... ok, I guess, but Platinum was much more refined and polished, so having very faithful remakes of D/P probably wouldn't exactly be the best idea.

Last edited:

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
  • I don't really know how to feel about this. DPPt are overall my favourite non-remake games, they're the Pokémon games I spent the most hours on (especially Diamond), and Sinnoh is my favourite region. Having such a game on what is quickly becoming my favourite console would almost be a dream coming true, but I have too many reasons to doubt of Game Freak's capabilities of making the remake it deserves to be (ideally not less than what HGSS was for GS).

Colours already described most of my worries in the post right above mine, and there's not a single word I don't agree with. As much as I loved DP, Platinum is the game the remake should be based on. DP were already great games but had some serious issues, like the terrible spread of Pokémon in the regional dex, and also 151 Pokémon only are too few imho for a balanced main story playthrough (it's the same issue I had with BW); it's a fix of Platinum that should not ever be cancelled. Also, there's the whole thing with the post-game: Platinum balanced the levels in the Battle Zone better and made it even richer, not just with the obvious addition of the Battle Frontier (which I'm afraid we would not see again in a Sinnoh remake...) but also with the higher levels for the rival battle and especially the rematches of Gym leaders aside from some cool side stuff in the Resort Area.

I also wonder how they'll handle the Dex question now that GF's official policy is about no Pokémon outside the regional dex. How will the Pokémon in the Battle Zone be handled? Will they be a separate new section of the Sinnoh Dex? Will every single of the first four gens' Pokémon be available in some way? Or... will GF not make the Battle Zone at all and just let the man in Snowpoint City say that the ice is too thick even for his icebreaker?

SceptileActual

Sceptile, The Forest Pokémon.
    Years
  • Sinnoh Remakes?

No one has posted this before (that i've seen) so i'll give at it, the recent Cosmic Eclipse TCG sets are based around and include the Sinnoh trio, besides Giratina. Which makes me believe Platinum won't get a remake but will have aspects of it in the PRL/DIA remakes. Another point is the recent live action chimchar Pokemon Go AD posted on Pokemon's twitter.

Most of these are probaly invalid seeing as any legendary group gets their own sort of spotlight now and then but I'll keep my hopes up.

#SinnohRemakes

Attachments

• test.jpg
      test.jpg
      313.3 KB · Views: 9
    • test2.png
      test2.png
      203.4 KB · Views: 5

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • First of all, you name's spacial. And your Avatar as well XD Waiting for Sinnoh Remakes, since ORAS, because, why not ? I think these boxes and the Chimchar event are few of the references we've been given over the years. Silvally itself is a reference to Arceus. I believe the remakes are inevitable, so we just have to wait for them.

There are some stupid(in my opinion) ones like this:
    Spoiler:

But there are some nice ones like this:
    Spoiler:

There was also a reference to the Canalave Library in the Ultra games, in the Aether Foundation lab. Hence, the idea of SInnoh remakes are still as rough as they were back in the ORAS days, in my opinion, at least. There is no announcement so far, so, *shrug*.

Last edited:

PkMnTrainerWilliam

Aspiring Professor's Aide
    Years
  • Honestly, I can't wait for a Diamond/Pearl remake to come out, as my Diamond game no longer functions and I'm not terribly interested in getting it again or getting Platinum when a remake is possible, as that'd be money I can't get back, and funds are tight enough as it is.

As far as what I'd like to see... something similar to how OR/AS handled it, but with a lot more of Platinum, since OR/AS basically all but skipped Emerald aside from a completely new plot that just so happened to involve Rayquaza and Deoxys. I enjoyed that completely new plot, mind, but from what I understand Platinum is kinda the definitive edition of Gen 4's region.

Years
  • I thin gen 4 remake has to be done and would love it, should of been done before sword and shield.

I think ORAS was a good benchmark to go by I think they did a great job with that remake and would like something similar to that

Kolar™

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2020
    It sw/sh is a single region then there is a chance of gen 4 remake. Actually, i am god damn sure that sw/sh is single region and we will do get a remake. But we don't need it, a lets go will be best tbh.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Maybe I'm showing my age here quite a bit, but the 4th gen came out when I was in high school... it doesn't feel *that* long ago..

>_>

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2019
    Tell us about your ideal Diamond/Pearl remake!

Ever since FireRed and LeafGreen were released on the GBA, The Pokémon Company has released one remake per console. Each remake would tend to add something extra that wasn't in the original games such as the Sevii Islands quests and Lorelei backstory in FireRed/LeafGreen, Pokémon that follow you all the time in HeartGold/SoulSilver, and soaring all over the region with Latias/Latios in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, in addition to a bunch of other little extras!

The one remake console pattern has led to a lot of speculation about a Diamond/Pearl remake for the Switch. If such a remake were to happen, what kinds of additions would you like to see to make it truly shine?

Years
  • Well, I can definitely see the Underground revamped into a Sinnoh Wild Area, with different parts looking clearly different according to the aboveground terrain (damp, sandy, volcanic...), Pokémon from above and those native there lurking in the tunnels and Max Raid caverns, of course while keeping the mining minigame.

However, that is nothing extra, just adapting to this generation.

As Dialga and Palkia control space-time, I can imagine the extra option of a kind of dimensional and/or time travel, where the player can visit, along with new content like the dinosaur era or a digital future, a selection of places from older games, preferably in their graphics style to indicate alternate reality.

Time travel could be used during the story too. Cyrus, for instance, has a backstory very suitable for exploration by meeting him when he was young. An evil plan that includes changing the past with a final showdown in the distant past before life began, saving its very existance, would be awesome, if a bit similar to Ultra Wormhole travel from Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

Years
  • Alternatively, boxed Pokémon could go exploring Mistery Dungeons that appear as timespace anomalies, using box graphics. That would be amazing.

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
  • Ever since FireRed and LeafGreen were released on the GBA, The Pokémon Company has released one remake per console. Each remake would tend to add something extra that wasn't in the original games such as the Sevii Islands quests and Lorelei backstory in FireRed/LeafGreen, Pokémon that follow you all the time in HeartGold/SoulSilver, and soaring all over the region with Latias/Latios in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, in addition to a bunch of other little extras!

The one remake console pattern has led to a lot of speculation about a Diamond/Pearl remake for the Switch. If such a remake were to happen, what kinds of additions would you like to see to make it truly shine?

Sinnoh is imho (along with Gen IV Johto+Kanto) the region which starts from the best basis, Platinum already shines for me as a high point of the core series so it's more about being faithful to the original core experience (plus obviously the Fairy type) and adding more side stuff: an Underground expanded in mini-games and maybe side quests related to it, possibility of getting the Regis and the mythicals without event but by unlocking their areas through in-game events; a less cumbersome mechanic for honey trees, trainer customization, new areas to explore post-game where post-gen IV Pokémon can be caught, and... at the moment I don't know what to think of that could be added, compared to the more recent games Platinum definitely had a lot of interesting stuff other than the core game. The imperative is however that unlike what ORAS did there should be nothing cut from Platinum, i.e. the Battle Frontier needs to be back in its entirety and the regional Dex should be the updated Platinum version and not the DP one.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • this is gonna be unpopular but my ideal dppt remake is one that doesn't exist. sinnoh is still modern enough to not need to spend half a generation on a game we've all already played.

i'm never sure what exactly people want when they ask for remakes. modern graphics? dppt already looks pretty great imo. modern mechanics like megas? that would probably be pushed to the postgame if it's in at all, and I don't see them adding a bunch of new sinnoh mon megas just for a remake. new pokemon from gens 5-8? considering what they did in LGPE that doesn't seem likely. modern items and moves? i guess you would get those but it seems like a pretty minor concern

SirDeoxys

Deoxys in a suit
    Years
  • I personally like the idea of the remakes actually being sort of an "alternate universe" to the originals, following generally the same plot to satisfy the requirements for it to be called a "remake", but also adding new elements and possibly places to differentiate it from the originals enough to show that it's clearly not the same world, it's something new.

Story changes/Post-game:

Perhaps the main events could play out similarly to the originals, i.e. Dialga/Palkia gets used by the evil organization to do whatever, but in the post-game, perhaps there could almost be a sort of mini-sequel which may take place that has the remainder of the team try and use Giratina, and accessing the distortion world.
    It would also be cool to see the distortion world in action, and perhaps there could be wormholes in there that might allow the player to have access to Ultra Beasts as a sort of side-thing to fill out the Pokédex.

A part of me wants a segment sort of like the Delta Episode of OR/AS that involves Arceus and it's lore, and perhaps it'd be an extremely difficult post-post-game event that would take place as sort of a "secret final boss"... But that would also take away the exclusivity of Arceus being sort of an event Pokémon.
    But then again, they did this with Deoxys and in my opinion it worked perfectly.
    If at the very least, perhaps Arceus wouldn't be able to be caught, because well... It's Arceus, but at the same time, what'd be the point of even encountering one of the most legendary Pokémon of all time if you couldn't catch it?

I also feel like it would be very interesting to see something involving Regigigas and the Regi-trio, perhaps a side-dungeon which might have to do with it.
    Maybe the Regi-Trio could be caught in Sword and Shield and transferred over to do this event, much like how you need them in the original D/P to be transferred from R/S/E.

Features:

One feature I loved, even though I never had anyone to play it with, was the underground feature. Something about mining treasure, setting up bases, and decorating things was just extremely fun to me as a child, and I'd LOVE to see that expanded upon in the remakes.
    Perhaps there could be a guild system where multiple players could work together in the same base to take down others, or perhaps like a previous post in this thread suggests, different "biomes" depending on whatever the land looks like in the overworld in that area.
    This would also be a perfect opportunity to mine fossil Pokémon from various generations for Pokédex purposes.

Improved berry farming and poffins would be interesting.
    It'd be neat to have something where you could have a plot of land somewhere that allows you to farm various berries, having you need to water them and everything, and perhaps different Pokémon in your inventory could affect how they grow.
    And maybe there can be chances for "rare" berries to be harvested from berry plants that will allow poffins you create with them to improve things much more.
    It might also be asking a lot to also overhaul the poffin creating system into a fully-fledged cooking mechanic that allows you to make various recipes with items and berries for your Pokémon, which may have effects that isn't just for the contest hall.
    That brings me to my next idea.

The contest hall.
    I feel like this could probably be improved in the remakes. I don't entirely know if they'd be able to let you dress up your Pokémon seeing as it's all 3D models and that'd take a LOT of time to get items for each and every Pokémon in the game, so they'd likely limit it to a select few types of Pokémon that could enter.
    But the ones that can, can be dressed up with all kinds of options and partake in the contest hall for various prizes.

I'd like to see Pokémon be able to follow you throughout the whole game, rather than in just inside of Amity Square.
    Sure, Amity Square could still exist, in fact it would be pretty amazing to see it improved and allow you to do various activities with your Pokémon similar to Pokémon-amie.

I sort of ran out of ideas at this point, but I'm sure you get the gist. I am very passionate about Generation 4, and remakes of them are an exciting thought for me.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • The pattern of remakes shows that a game got its remake in the following pattern:
    Kanto games -8 years
    Johto games - 10 years
    Hoenn games - 12 years.
    So Sinnoh remakes might come 14 years after Diamond and Pearl, that is, in 2020, if we go by the japanese release dates.
    Coming to hopes and wishes, Sinnoh remakes ought to have a better Mount Coronet than ever before, just like the Hebra mountain in Botw. Neck deep in snow, you're hammered by a blizzard. You walk a little to find a Mamoswine who's ready to help and you ride through the snow like in X and Y. That's what I'd like to see. And a good adaptation, by not forsaking the Distortion world, it'll definitely be fun to see it in SwSh's graphics. That's all. Oh, wait, making Veilstone a bigger place and giving the player to explore more of Cyrus.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

I honestly don't want DPPt remakes either, and Gen 4 is my favourite gen. I know they're going to happen and I am dreading them, because I feel like it'll be the final nail in the coffin. Game Freak do enough past repetition as it is with their new titles, so they don't need to add to it with remakes.

The declining quality of Game Freak's titles in general after Gen IV makes me very wary of remakes of their better generations. The Game Freak of now is not who I would want handling DPPt remakes, especially not considering how badly they've ballsed up SnS with the entirely unnecessary Dexit and general lackluster quality of the rest of it. Masuda is deliberately keeping the dev team too small to make a good experience in the time frame he has, and if SnS is any indication Game Freak have absolutely no clue of how to take advantage of the Switch's increased power when compared to the 3DS. I mean, what good are modern visuals going to do when attacks come from a fixed point, animations and models are the exact same as they were on the 3DS with slight texture enhancements, and cutscenes serve to slow the game down where it is sped up everywhere else and just pad out the filesize otherwise? You can bet Dexit will be a thing in these games too, because it has been strongly implied in interviews that Dexit will ALWAYS be a thing for Pokemon going forward, so that's a irredeemably damning issue that isn't going to be fixed.

Any changes they DO make to the game's structure beyond the basic QoL improvements that come with remaking older titles (which for Pokemon just amounts to a more streamlined UI) will be thrown in at the end like the Delta Episode was and not be worth much in the grand scheme of things. Sure, we'll probably get new forms for Dialga/Palkia, and some Dynamaxed Sinnoh Pokemon, but that'll be about it, and there have been plenty of complaints about rehashing Pokemon...I don't really want Sinnoh to take on the same sort of overused status as Kanto, which has had so many pandering that some of the Pokemon are bordering on unappealing right now.

Remaking a game is about more than just porting it over to the current system with updated visuals, and this is something that Game Freak have failed to understand since HGSS.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I would like to see a DPPt remake; To be honest I really missed the game so much, especially with exploring the Distortion World; People who have been here for the longest time would remember my trading thread was based after Giratina and the Distortion World!

DP is such a pain to play, especially after you progressed to Platinum and HGSS within the same generation for the slow pace, I really won't mind a improvised Sinnoh and I really hope they'll place a post story to Giratina and Distortion World (You can tell how much I loved it hah) like what they did for Rayquaza in ORAS.

P.S - And seriously, "Dexit" issue really need to stop, it's getting sooooooooooooooooooooooooo lame people are always complaining about it in almost every articles and posts (Yes it is annoying, BOTH the exclusion of certain Pokemon AND your complaining) when they didn't even seem to have excluded /that/ many Pokemon in SwSh. Just shut up about it smh.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    I think that these games might end up being incredibly simplified, considering Game Freak's current design philosophy.

Back