• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

MTG-Based RP

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2018
    Hi everyone!

For those of you who don't know, Magic: the Gathering (MTG) is a very popular trading card game for people 13 and up. I decided I want to do my first RP based on MTG's story. Below, you'll find more details.

What is a Planeswalker?
    A planeswalker is a powerful mage with the ability to travel to different planes in the multiverse. Planeswalkers have a spark that is usually ignited through a traumatic experience. Each player will be a planeswalker they design.

Back-Story Summary
    There will be three planes that the players go to. Each plane will have a different set of challenges and different goals for the players. Players can also choose to be on the "bad side", which means they will try to prevent the other players from accomplishing the goal.

For example, the "good" characters would have to end a conflict or defeat a powerful bad guy, while the "bad" characters would try to stop them. (Maybe by driving them out, or manipulating people into thinking the players are bad?)

Overall
    Would you guys be interested if there was an RP like that?

Also, what do you guys think it will be rated given that there will be lots of fighting and some death, too? I am thinking teen or mature, but most likely teen.

I was also thinking that MTG cards could be used in posts for flavor. They don't have to be included, though. I am guessing not many of you play MTG.

And, I was also thinking that those who want to could play as planeswalkers that already exist (though it probably would unnecessarily complicate the rules...).

What do you guys think of these ideas, and why?

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    Cool; I like the concept of a character who can transcend dimensional planes, though more clarification on the planeswalkers—what they do, what sort of races or other similar groups could become one, which also ties into fleshing out the setting—would help me to better visualize how you envision a future cast. Clarification in-general regarding the universe this is set in, for people who are less attuned with Magic: The Gathering, and really what defines a "plane" are also important in this regard.

Years
  • You've got a good general idea. I think your biggest issues are
    1. Detail: You need to explain the world and the races in it to a greater extent.
    2. Mechanics: You haven't really explained how the RP itself will work and that's important information.

From my outside perspective, the world of MTG is well suited to an RP but you'll need to work on developing the idea further.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
  • This may sound yu-gi-oh-ish of me, but I've always fancied the idea of using cards to affect things, or referencing specific cards within details. I feel like, since the RP would be extracted from a card-based franchise, it might be fun to play the RP as if it were a card game.

Not sure where I'm going with this, but hopefully it provides some direction or inspiration towards the development of this.​

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • I love love love Magic: the Gathering and it has so much lore that can be used for roleplaying/Dungeons and Dragons sessions. I'd rather not overtly reference the cards, since you know it's not a "Scream spell name to cast it" world, but the artwork can be subtly referenced so that people can visualize what the spell does/how mana works, and MtG geeks like me can nod and go yaas. Three planes is a tad too ambitious imho, I would just focus on one plane because if anything, MtG is famous for the worldbuilding. (My favourite planes are Ravnica, Innistrad and Kaladesh *hinthint*) Regarding planeswalkers, I think you'll gladly find that nobody here likes to play canon characters (where's the fun in that?) c:

Years
  • In my own limited experience (I've played the game, but couldn't tell you anything about the lore), Magic has a LOT of potential for a role playing game. If I understand correctly, Planeswalkers can visit other dimensions at will, which basically means we can be any type of character from any world, yes? I don't know exactly how that works, or if there are restrictions, but it seems like a very unique power for an RP. Perhaps we're all newly awakened walkers, and our first time sliding to a new plane brings us all to one plane because of plot reasons? That way the Planeswalker powers give us freedom to create (because making your own character is usually more fun than picking from a list of existing characters, and allows for more freedom in playstyle and personality) without otherwise affecting the plot too much.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
  • Three planes is a tad too ambitious imho, I would just focus on one plane

This, this, this. You don't want to go too big with it. I, as a player, don't want to end up being a solo-writer in a medium that's supposed to be social because we're constantly exploring three separate planes and never see each-other.​

Back