• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Interest Check] A Short RP About Superpowers

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Hi! I'd like to continue pushing for RPs that have a well defined goal (from the GM's perspective at least) and aim to finish within a few months (if it remains active). As such, I've refined an idea for a RP setting where superpowered individuals pop into our world, and make the first major event revolving around them a single RP, with plenty of possibilities for sequels, as this first RP would merely be the first chapter in such a saga. It would look something like this... Would someone be interested in joining?

67003_1645360515676695217.jpg

SCATTER
    "superhero"-like RP set in contemporary times | rated T for now | spots are OPEN

Seemingly from nowhere came the asteroid, and it struck the vast dry plains of Colorado, USA. Then, everything was fine again. This fact puzzled many people who knew how these things were supposed to work. For one, such a big asteroid should have been visible in the sky for much longer before it struck Earth. Secondly, if it really was as large as it had seemed, it should have caused immense destruction and catastrophe, and it sure as hell wouldn't have been limited to Colorado. As it seemed now, there had basically been no disastrous consequences of the heavenly body's impact at all. Skepticism towards authorities rose rapidly.

But that was all just background. You were living in the city of Denver, and either living in or working in its city center. No asteroids there, just you and your life, and everybody who attempted to butt into your life. And one day, a few weeks after the comet drama, when strange rumors of unusual sightings and a rise in violent crimes had been spreading in the state for a while, you discovered that this life of yours suddenly changed drastically.

You had somehow acquired special... Powers, for lack of a better term. Supernatural abilities that seem to lend themselves quite well to fighting, either offensively or defensively (or a mix). Since nobody else around you seemed to be talking about having such powers, you had to assume this was abnormal, and maybe something to keep quiet about.

That is, at least, until desperate events would urge you to show your true self after all...

SETTING & RP STYLE
    The RP will likely take place entirely in modern day Denver city and consist of two parts. The first part will be solo-heavy with optional interaction, while the second part will be mainly interaction, potentially utilizing JPing if it seems too messy to post directly IC. We'll see what works for us as we go along, but I'll always encourage posting directly IC until you get to a point where an interaction with another player begins and you know you'll be talking/fighting (who knows?) or otherwise back-and-forthing several times; in these cases a JP might be more tidy. They're easy to create together via an online googledoc, and I can always help you get started if you need it.

The superpowers/abilities you have gotten are something we can discuss and be creative with. But approach it by thinking your character would probably have a couple of abilities you might have found in other "superhero" media, and that they should mainly be useful offensively or defensively (or be possible to use for both with some creativity, of course). As such, merely having grown a tail or being able to see ultraviolet light might not really be what we're looking for here (unless you make it a relevant part of your battle strategy). No mind-reading or mental/psychic manipulation however, simply because I feel like that will be a bit too OP or difficult to RP and balance.

There is not much more to say about the setting, as it's just our normal world as far as you're aware. The conspiracy rumors that have been floating around more than usual for weeks now range from "the government are testing bio-weapons on criminals" to "aliens have visited us!!" and it's up to you how much stock your character puts into these things, if they're even listening to them. The scientific community is at least highly skeptical about the so-called comet, but keep being silenced in various ways, and the authorities seem to be deflecting questions on the subject.

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
    Years
  • Hmm... Why not? Sure. If you're making these more short form RPs a thing then I can probably throw my hat in for one at least.

Plus I've had a modern setting / superhero itch lately so... I'm interested.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Thanks!

It would be centered around the players discovering their abilities and then the first crisis that prompts them to use them, essentially. So not very expansive long story, but setting things up for sequels.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I am interested, although I probably shouldn't commit considering I'm already involved in another RP and a bunch of other time consuming projects.

That said, one thing you didn't really mention but that I think is important to keep in mind beforehand when dealing with Superheroes is the tone: are we going for idealistic Golden Age Superheroes that do the right thing because it's the right thing to do, are we going for something morally gray like Worm, are we going full on Alan Moore and decrying super heroes as pseudo-fascist vigilantes with a thirst for power?

Because even if the individual characters are different from the general tone, them being different from the tone is a choice in itself that informs the way the characters should act, if I'm making sense here? Like, playing Superman straight in an Alan Moore setting works out very differently than playing Superman straight in Golden Age DCU.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I am interested, although I probably shouldn't commit considering I'm already involved in another RP and a bunch of other time consuming projects.

That said, one thing you didn't really mention but that I think is important to keep in mind beforehand when dealing with Superheroes is the tone: are we going for idealistic Golden Age Superheroes that do the right thing because it's the right thing to do, are we going for something morally gray like Worm, are we going full on Alan Moore and decrying super heroes as pseudo-fascist vigilantes with a thirst for power?

Because even if the individual characters are different from the general tone, them being different from the tone is a choice in itself that informs the way the characters should act, if I'm making sense here? Like, playing Superman straight in an Alan Moore setting works out very differently than playing Superman straight in Golden Age DCU.
    Interesting question! Originally I did have an extra line in the OP here, sort of touching upon it.

I think the basic idea is that our world does not really seem to be made for these powers to exist, and you'll all probably be quite powerful and you'll never have heard of any superpowered individuals existing before you so it's really not an established thing or even believable thing. But clearly it's happening. So the tone I think I'd aim for is sort of "oh god now i can melt steel beams with my laser finger and see an ant from a kilometre away, but i have a date at 7pm and need to finish this report before 3 today uuuuh focus uhh" and "welp, apparently i can heal everybody but myself by just touching them, so am i obligated to go around and heal everyone I possibly can now or will i go to hell if i just hide and never use it?"

So, basically, closest to Worm I suppose! Does that sound ok or would you prefer something else?

edit: since this RP would be the very first ordeal with superpowered individuals in this setting though, should you end up blowing up the whole city or murder people it's entirely possible it ends up more like your Alan Moore description of course d::::: although that's in Worm too, and they still regard officially employed superheroes as heroes, so.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Actually, I thought of an even better analogue: have you seen the TV show "Heroes"? Everyday people suddenly getting strange powerful abilities, and starting to try to take advantage of each other or figure out what it all really means. That.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    aight i think 3 players plus myself worked for Deliverance but it's a bit too lukewarm interest to work for this new RP, so I guess I'll hold off for a while 😔 Thanks for the comments still!

Years
  • aight i think 3 players plus myself worked for Deliverance but it's a bit too lukewarm interest to work for this new RP, so I guess I'll hold off for a while 😔 Thanks for the comments still!

tbf, I don't see why this couldn't work with a small cast if you really want to do it.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    tbf, I don't see why this couldn't work with a small cast if you really want to do it.

It could, of course - and would in some ways be easier to handle since I could keep track of each player char better and more easily find time to play NPCs against them. But I'd envisioned something a little larger for this RP.

Might have to give up on that and readjust this to be smaller and more focused though. Or simply hope that people might join who didn't necessarily think to post here :3

Back